Be a Supporter!

To My Fellow Artists!

  • 2,989 Views
  • 38 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
jagondudo
jagondudo
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Artist
To My Fellow Artists! Feb. 16th, 2012 @ 01:16 PM Reply

Hi there newgrounders... Here's the thing

There's a really cool contest going on, on Deviantart. I've decided to enter and some of you should get in on this too.
It's designing some T-shirt prints with the theme "Cute Monsters", there's some really schweet prizes, plus if you win you get your T-shirt made and sold too.

The first half of the contest is determined solely by votes which is where I need some of your help. If you have a Deviantart account over there just click the entries below then on "I'd Wear This". to cast your vote. I'd really appreciate it no lie!

For You
Hidin and
Sleepy

p.s Since this is the art forum and i've been absent for a bit I'll be using this thread as my new sketch thread too woohoo!

this is what they look like :

To My Fellow Artists!

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Member since: Aug. 8, 2005
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Artist
Response to To My Fellow Artists! Feb. 16th, 2012 @ 01:39 PM Reply

You've got my votes.


BBS Signature
Lundsfryd
Lundsfryd
  • Member since: Mar. 11, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Artist
Response to To My Fellow Artists! Feb. 16th, 2012 @ 01:50 PM Reply

At 31 minutes ago, jagondudo wrote: Hi there newgrounders... Here's the thing

I SHALL VOTE FOR THESE!


World Famous Kasper Lundsfryd Illustrations
nilfisk

BBS Signature
test-object
test-object
  • Member since: Aug. 26, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to To My Fellow Artists! Feb. 16th, 2012 @ 02:04 PM Reply

What those two said ^^^


A rather disgusting-looking git that should have been disposed of ages ago.

BBS Signature
Knocturne
Knocturne
  • Member since: May. 31, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Artist
Response to To My Fellow Artists! Feb. 16th, 2012 @ 06:16 PM Reply

I voted too


Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature
AwesomeSaurus
AwesomeSaurus
  • Member since: Apr. 5, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to To My Fellow Artists! Feb. 16th, 2012 @ 07:10 PM Reply

At 51 minutes ago, Knocturne wrote: I voted too

Really cool designs, voted!

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to To My Fellow Artists! Feb. 16th, 2012 @ 07:16 PM Reply

Hooray, Jagon's got a personal thread now.

Oh, and voted too.
ZaneZansorrow
ZaneZansorrow
  • Member since: Oct. 21, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Artist
Response to To My Fellow Artists! Feb. 16th, 2012 @ 07:19 PM Reply

They be awdworable, voted.


BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Member since: Aug. 21, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to To My Fellow Artists! Feb. 16th, 2012 @ 07:46 PM Reply

I lied and said that I'd wear them.

This post has no motherfucking worth whatsoever, just thought I might drop my banal two cents. Nice designs, though.

jagondudo
jagondudo
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Artist
Response to To My Fellow Artists! Feb. 17th, 2012 @ 01:41 AM Reply

thanks so much for the support guys

here's the process: we're only allowed a maximum of 7 colors which isn't a lot when you start counting. So here's how i went about getting the perfect color combos. the middle bit being the most important

To My Fellow Artists!

jagondudo
jagondudo
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Artist
Response to To My Fellow Artists! Feb. 17th, 2012 @ 01:47 AM Reply

wish we could post more than one image at a time eh? (i shan't triple post)

To My Fellow Artists!

LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Member since: May. 29, 2005
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 53
Artist
Response to To My Fellow Artists! Feb. 17th, 2012 @ 06:27 AM Reply

At 4 hours ago, jagondudo wrote: wish we could post more than one image at a time eh? (i shan't triple post)

its a shame your limited to 7 colours, i really love the little yellow dude and how his ass sticks out of the back of the t-shirt...

also voted on all 3 of course :3

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Member since: Aug. 8, 2005
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Artist
Response to To My Fellow Artists! Feb. 17th, 2012 @ 06:39 AM Reply

At 4 hours ago, jagondudo wrote: here's the process: we're only allowed a maximum of 7 colors which isn't a lot when you start counting. So here's how i went about getting the perfect color combos. the middle bit being the most important

How did you go about making the colour palette, the gradient one which varies in saturation?

For that matter, did you paint the concept first, then select 7 suitable colours for the design?


BBS Signature
jagondudo
jagondudo
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Artist
Response to To My Fellow Artists! Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 02:36 AM Reply

At 19 hours ago, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 4 hours ago, jagondudo wrote: here's the process: we're only allowed a maximum of 7 colors which isn't a lot when you start counting. So here's how i went about getting the perfect color combos. the middle bit being the most important
How did you go about making the colour palette, the gradient one which varies in saturation?

For that matter, did you paint the concept first, then select 7 suitable colours for the design?

What I make first is that color palette shape. It's basically just a color wheel then I cut out a mask shape out of it. You can make any shape you want really but what it helps to do is restrict what colors you can use or not. When you're picking colors for a picture if you have the entire color wheel at your disposal its really easy to make a big mess of colors and trying to get all the compliments and to unite all the colors together gets harder. Using the color mask you limit what colors you can use.

At the top of each shape is the primary color for the entire illustration. It's opposite is the complimentary color and inbetween are the colors that tie it together. So it made it easier to get the color scheme this way. Then I paint digitally blending colors together mixing and matching but ONLY with colors in the mask. Then color picked out of the illustration the important colors removing unnecessary ones till i was left with 7 or less. Because they've been carefully picked, when you use them it looks like there's a lot more colors than there actually is because they compliment each other.

I use that mask technique on almost everything I paint now to get more coherent color schemes :)

To My Fellow Artists!

ZaneZansorrow
ZaneZansorrow
  • Member since: Oct. 21, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Artist
Response to To My Fellow Artists! Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 01:02 PM Reply

At 10 hours ago, jagondudo wrote: I use that mask technique on almost everything I paint now to get more coherent color schemes :)

NOW that is a good idea, wow......can I borrow the technique? :3


BBS Signature
jagondudo
jagondudo
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Artist
Response to To My Fellow Artists! Feb. 25th, 2012 @ 08:00 AM Reply

At 6 days ago, ZaneZansorrow wrote: NOW that is a good idea, wow......can I borrow the technique? :3

of course by all means! i didn't invent the technique, it's called a "Gamut Mask"

that's a digital version i use all the time, there's different gamut shapes for different types of pictures and you can make your own too.

To My Fellow Artists!

lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Member since: Mar. 31, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Artist
Response to To My Fellow Artists! Feb. 25th, 2012 @ 08:05 AM Reply

At 2 minutes ago, jagondudo wrote: of course by all means! i didn't invent the technique, it's called a "Gamut Mask"

that's a digital version i use all the time, there's different gamut shapes for different types of pictures and you can make your own too.

oh my goodness pretty colors. *tries to pet screen*


Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

BBS Signature
jagondudo
jagondudo
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Artist
Response to To My Fellow Artists! Mar. 4th, 2012 @ 02:22 PM Reply

Thanks for all the support on the shirt designs guys...the contest has closed to entries and voting endsmarch 6th!! So if you have a few friends on DA and you can scrounge up some last minute votes I'd be much obliged.

meanwhile...buried in the snow..

To My Fellow Artists!

SeventhTower
SeventhTower
  • Member since: Aug. 1, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to To My Fellow Artists! Mar. 4th, 2012 @ 06:31 PM Reply

We have all just become that much more efficient as artists! What a genius tool! I'm using it right now.

Kashi
Kashi
  • Member since: Jan. 15, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Artist
Response to To My Fellow Artists! Mar. 4th, 2012 @ 09:07 PM Reply

At 2 hours ago, SeventhTower wrote: We have all just become that much more efficient as artists! What a genius tool! I'm using it right now.

Ikr; Thanks Jagon!!!!
Also, that buck looks sweet :O

Luwano
Luwano
  • Member since: Nov. 3, 2004
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Art Lover
Response to To My Fellow Artists! Mar. 4th, 2012 @ 09:21 PM Reply

Totally forgot to vote for you before. Fixed this mistake just now. Thanks for the bump.

I like how you made them look "incorporated" into the shirt. The technique with the color scheme sounds great. I first thought it was all vector art, very clean and crisp. Nice!


BBS Signature
ZaneZansorrow
ZaneZansorrow
  • Member since: Oct. 21, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Artist
Response to To My Fellow Artists! Mar. 5th, 2012 @ 11:21 AM Reply

At 9 days ago, jagondudo wrote:
At 6 days ago, ZaneZansorrow wrote: NOW that is a good idea, wow......can I borrow the technique? :3
of course by all means! i didn't invent the technique, it's called a "Gamut Mask"

that's a digital version i use all the time, there's different gamut shapes for different types of pictures and you can make your own too.

Now that's an interesting website *bookmark!*. I gotta remember to try these out when I get the chance to :D


BBS Signature
LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Member since: May. 29, 2005
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 53
Artist
Response to To My Fellow Artists! Mar. 5th, 2012 @ 11:55 AM Reply

At 21 hours ago, jagondudo wrote: meanwhile...buried in the snow..

i really like this but i just cant work out what the orange things at the bottom are...

are they feet?... no... they have little while pearl like eyes?... are they teeth?... with one missing... or some sort of scarf... or two people!?.... please put my creative mind at rest!


BBS Signature
jagondudo
jagondudo
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Artist
Response to To My Fellow Artists! Mar. 7th, 2012 @ 11:10 AM Reply

At 1 day ago, LegolaSS wrote: i really like this but i just cant work out what the orange things at the bottom are...

are they feet?... no... they have little while pearl like eyes?... are they teeth?... with one missing... or some sort of scarf... or two people!?.... please put my creative mind at rest!

hehe i shouldn't give it away since thats kind of what a painting should do but what the hey...its an orange monster in there, pearly eyes poking out and some teeth visible with one missing , the entire mound is its body but you can't see it...the idea is to have your mind think about what it might look like :)

meanwhile in rio...

Higher Quality

To My Fellow Artists!

Lundsfryd
Lundsfryd
  • Member since: Mar. 11, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Artist
Response to To My Fellow Artists! Mar. 7th, 2012 @ 11:18 AM Reply

At 7 minutes ago, jagondudo wrote:
meanwhile in rio...

Higher Quality

It looks a bit like she is flying but other than that it's great!


World Famous Kasper Lundsfryd Illustrations
nilfisk

BBS Signature
LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Member since: May. 29, 2005
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 53
Artist
Response to To My Fellow Artists! Mar. 7th, 2012 @ 11:19 AM Reply

At 6 minutes ago, jagondudo wrote: its an orange monster in there, pearly eyes poking out and some teeth visible with one missing , the entire mound is its body but you can't see it...the idea is to have your mind think about what it might look like :)

i really like it, i was just really confused, seen as there is a tree sticking out of his body :S... the background and deer are aweso!...

meanwhile in rio...

another lovely piece to add to your collection :D... not my favourite but love the idea and mood its creating!


BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Member since: Mar. 31, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Artist
Response to To My Fellow Artists! Mar. 7th, 2012 @ 02:14 PM Reply

At 3 hours ago, jagondudo wrote: meanwhile in rio...

Gorgeous. You might want darker shadows under the feet, so she'll seem less floaty.


Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

BBS Signature
jagondudo
jagondudo
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Artist
Response to To My Fellow Artists! Mar. 10th, 2012 @ 07:39 AM Reply

At 2 days ago, Lundsfryd wrote:
At 7 minutes ago, jagondudo wrote:
meanwhile in rio...

Higher Quality
It looks a bit like she is flying but other than that it's great!

right, i think the glowy sand does that sometimes but thanks for the fix
sometimes i get caught up trying to render it realistically when sometimes you have to take some liberties in what looks more convincing :)

one for the weekend

"the sleeper"

To My Fellow Artists!

jagondudo
jagondudo
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Artist
Response to To My Fellow Artists! Jun. 25th, 2012 @ 11:38 PM Reply

blargh! i've been missing for a while boohoo
swamped with finishing up my masters wee plus i got a mini animating job and trying to take part in the new NATA competition, i've so far made it to the intermediate round by sheer luck and generosity

a wee preview: (been trying to improve my animating)

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/dde69f8b9280e7afc76c2730 f1fa0711

and some arts:

jagondudo
jagondudo
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Artist
Response to To My Fellow Artists! Jun. 25th, 2012 @ 11:39 PM Reply

forgot the arts, shit!

To My Fellow Artists!