I wish the "View more from this artist" dropdown was still on song pages :\

Kain-Ceverus
Kain-Ceverus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Gamer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 06:13 PM Reply

I hate tankgirl's face on the right panel. She looks retarded. She looks like she literally has downs syndrome and someone slapped a cupcake out of her hand.

Please click here. You'd make my fiance` happy... Please?
I'm a voice actor, and I love what I do. I'm also a writer, and love that just as much.

BBS Signature
bob
bob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 06:42 PM Reply

At 7 hours ago, Momo-the-Monkey wrote: I noticed on the user page, under "Latest Shares" I see the image below. Kind of hard to read.

It's not just "Latest Shares" either. Most of the hover text is quite are to read since the bottom of the hover image fades out before the text ends.

Can you tell me what browser you're using? I've tried replicating the issue and even IE7 doesn't get that. Also, a link to the page where that happens. Looks like the css isn't sliding the image over like it should, or maybe the HTML is bad for that hover.

At any rate, if you could PM me the details I can look into it for you!

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 06:44 PM Reply

At 39 seconds ago, bob wrote:

Hey, while you're at it, can you press the button that gives us back our animated forum signatures?

Kthxbai. :3

Sig by Some Guy - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
tacorc
tacorc
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Animator
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 07:00 PM Reply

At 13 minutes ago, ZJ wrote:
At 39 seconds ago, bob wrote:
Hey, while you're at it, can you press the button that gives us back our animated forum signatures?

Kthxbai. :3

I miss those .gif's. Also the 5 animations sign would be great I loose track when I vote on stuff.

RydiaLockheart
RydiaLockheart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 07:14 PM Reply

Hey Tom,

I will be very happy to see any title/content items on the front page, and so will my husband. I'm a hardcore NG user and will be here regardless, but my husband is a casual gamer. So if he just sees a thumbnail and no title or description, I have noticed he will skip over it regardless of how good it might be. So I think you're losing a lot of casual folks like him without title and game/movie descriptions. Myself, I will be happy to see any descriptions too, just because the current format confuses me. I realize this may be because I'm used to the old format, but new/casual users like him I think are more important to draw in.

mothballs
mothballs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Game Developer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 08:05 PM Reply

Also, I don't know if it's my computer, but the new post box doesn't allow me to copy and paste anything. Anyone else experiencing this?

shrizumalonito
shrizumalonito
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Animator
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 09:03 PM Reply

There are a few things I've encountered.

1) Are we still getting the 5 votes per day when voting? And, will the 10 points be deposited once we cast our 5 votes?
--> Usually there's a notification of how many votes are left during the day.

2) When listening to tracks in the Audio Portal, the flash player always crashes when selecting and listening to a track.

That's all I've encountered.

Lambtaco
Lambtaco
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 09:53 PM Reply

At 10 hours ago, Eltro2kneo wrote:
At 32 minutes ago, k6ka wrote:
At 1 day ago, Eltro2kneo wrote: What Tom means by "one-vote-per-user", he means that once you vote on a submission, you don't have to vote on it again unless you change your opinion. If your voting power gets bigger, then it affects the score. That's all.
That's what I'm concerned about. I vote on the same submissions daily to get my experience points, and if the "One-vote-per-user" system comes on, I have to hunt down new submissions each day, which I dislike.
At least it prevents the users from rating down the same thing several times just so it can be hated. But then it gets harder to gain experience, so we need a new way to get experience if this happens (other than voting on UJ uploads).

I have to completely disagree with the needing a new way to gain experience part. One vote per user would stop people from 5ing their own crap every day, and make users who want to level up actually work for it. Under Judgement flashes don't get nearly the amount of views they used to get back in the day, and voting on UJ would be a guaranteed way to vote on something you've never voted on before. It seems like UJ views and reviews have been in decline for years, and this would be a great way to get those numbers back up.

Newgrounds is about community, and we need to support the little guys. When you upload somehting to youtube nobody sees it, but on NG you can get a thousand people, half of which will actually watch/play it.

Eltro2kneo
Eltro2kneo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 10:24 PM Reply

I see... Since there's more than 400,000 submissions on Newgrounds, it beats the purpose of having a different method of getting experience.

So with the one-vote-per-user system will make the leveling and voting more realistic.

Words do not kill people, people kill words.
You have no enemies, you are your enemy.
Eltro Mato

0ctopus
0ctopus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Gamer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 10:48 PM Reply

At 22 minutes ago, Eltro2kneo wrote: I see... Since there's more than 400,000 submissions on Newgrounds, it beats the purpose of having a different method of getting experience.

So with the one-vote-per-user system will make the leveling and voting more realistic.

So the current system is fake?

Mokevo
Mokevo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Art Lover
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 11:14 PM Reply

Oh god Tom, WHY? I can't stand the new Newgrounds! It was just so much better the way it was before!

BBS Signature
dragonflamesmedia
dragonflamesmedia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 11:57 PM Reply

Sorry, came off of work and I am super tired, but want to show my support, so Tom, here's the answeres you wanted

1. Sometimes, because it's repetitious. It looks like one of the many ads you have up, however the new style works better, as I wonder more what it is. It would be cool thought if you had a few squares at the bottom so that we can choose to keep a showcase still for the easily distracted and also cause sometimes I am not done looking at a pic to see what the heck it is (cause I just checked a text or something off of Newgrounds) and I want to take a better look. I am sure I am not the only one.

2)Yes, I checked out the genres menu for the games. However can I make a suggestion here as well? Check boxes so that you can look for games with more than one tag worth mentionning?:

3)No, but I deffinitely will in the future.

4) Checking more games (as the adventure game list never did change) and finally submitted some art. Oh and I find it way easier to access my stuff on here, so that's cool.

By the way, love the background art.

Keep the creative juices flowing... if you need some, I have apple and grape in the fridge

Exedor
Exedor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 19th, 2012 @ 12:41 AM Reply

Hey Tom, I found a bug. If you go to Adult items, it says that it's A rated for sexy sexing stuff that has sex in it. But anything M rated and below says Suitable for all.

Can we get the rating descriptors put back? Is it M rated for excessive violence? Or for $$&%* Mother &$&*@ language? Or is it for sexxy sex? These are listed in the box (pictured error below) but if you have autoplay on, you never see that box.

And here's a pic of the box with the error:

Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff

ATICE
ATICE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Game Developer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 19th, 2012 @ 02:43 AM Reply

"1) Do you find yourself ignoring the big content showcase box here on the front page? I've been told it doesn't make enough of a "call to action" and while looking pretty, people aren't being as enticed to click it as they should be."

If you're talking about that box above featured movies... yeah... it's actually very bright and no one that I know of around here that goes to this website pays any attention to it.

"Why did you involve us!?" -Watson

TomKay
TomKay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 19th, 2012 @ 04:20 AM Reply

The feed (notifications) Button should also inform you about new posts in your subscribed topics from the forums.

molkman
molkman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Game Developer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 19th, 2012 @ 04:21 AM Reply

I love the feed function. It's become the first thing I click everytime I check out Newgrounds.

XO

molkman
molkman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Game Developer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 19th, 2012 @ 04:24 AM Reply

Another thing that just came to my mind is, it would be cool if you could pick more than one "profession", 'cause I'm both Animator and Game Developer, for example.

XO

Zanroth
Zanroth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 19th, 2012 @ 06:38 AM Reply

I find that, while the new layout is better, visually, it came at the cost of functionality.

Perhaps it's geared more toward smartphone users now, but to me, the new way of navigating through the portal is, well, a lot more work.
Perhaps it will just take some getting used to, but I suspect that the new system will make it a lot harder for new artists to get exposure for their works.

One more suggestion would be to bring back an overview to the front page with the last 15 submissions or so.
Not the best new submissions, just the latest :p

iscrulz
iscrulz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Movie Buff
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 19th, 2012 @ 09:50 AM Reply

At 2 days ago, TapeZgb wrote: yes, the classic portal was more exciting and original. i like the old layout better, this one is too flashy.

Boo hoo. Too bad. How about a nice didlo with your name on it shoved up your ass.

Looks like the NG Staffe is going to need some Raid.

£5 man slut for hire. Inquire within

Wi/Ht? #45

BBS Signature
kerbourchard
kerbourchard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Movie Buff
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 19th, 2012 @ 10:48 AM Reply

Where's the flash portal link? I had to search it in google, and then favorite it. Though I click NG on my toolbar, and then end up going to favorites to see portal. I like to see front page, but my next step is always portal. To see what's new and what's ranking good.. Maybe I'm over looking the link? Any chance I could get a shout out for where it is?

SevenSeize
SevenSeize
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Gamer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 19th, 2012 @ 11:15 AM Reply

At 2 days ago, TomFulp wrote:
1) Do you find yourself ignoring the big content showcase box here on the front page? I've been told it doesn't make enough of a "call to action" and while looking pretty, people aren't being as enticed to click it as they should be.

I notice it, I cannot promise I am more likely to click on it, but it's one of the first things that catches my eye on the FP.
Overall, I like the layout of the FP. It doesn't feel cluttered or disorganized.

2) Have you explored the content genre browsing? I feel like this is a really powerful system that a lot of people are overlooking; some have even complained that we removed genres. Go to the games page and scan the categories in the left column. Click around and start exploring. The categories get really in-depth and you can sort by all sorts of criteria. Right now we default to sort by date, which was an attempt to put the spotlight on new submissions but may have been a mistake. Instead we should probably default to sorting by score but maybe set the range to "Year" instead of "All" so there's more movement in the space.

It's one of my favorite features of the redesign. I love being able to narrow it down. I've been able to find several older games I really enjoy, much easier. (I looked for tower defense games the other day and found all my favorites, super easy)

This also makes me wonder if the games front page should be different. Right now we showcase the latest games, popular games from this week, highest scoring games of the month, highest scoring of the year and highest scoring of all time. Popular games tend to just mirror the front page. Best games of all time feels pretty static (instead maybe it could have a random selection from the top 200). But instead of all of that, I'm wondering if we should return to something like the old site, where we have a per-genre showcase. For example, the first box under "Brand Spankin' New Games" could be "Best New Action Games" and list the latest four action games with scores greater than 3.3 (number is based on some personal observations but not set in stone). The showcase would continue with "Best New Adventure Games", etc. I'm thinking it would better highlight the genre categories and might give people more direct access to stuff they like.

I like the idea of having best of each genre. I think that will attract more first time NGers and keep them around.
As far as the time line, I am a big fan of making any of your displays "best of the month" rather than all time. I feel when we set anything to all time, we see the same games pretty much all the time.
I'm an older NG member,late 20s demographic, so I have a full time job, I get to play games on my weekends usually. Best of the month allows me to make sure I didn't miss anything from any genre.

3) Have you been making use of the feed button (the star next to logout) in the header? It lists new submissions by artists you have favorited, something that was only available via email in the past. We intend to merge all favorites into one list of people you follow, so that you can easily add them from their user page and not have to add them in the context of a piece of content. Our current system (where you favorite artists based on content categories) is really old and has some charm but it feels like overkill nowadays.

I don't check my NG e-mail often, so I feel it's a keeper feature.

4) Have you found yourself doing anything more or less as a result of the new layout?

To be honest, about the same, but to be honest ^2, I think that's a good thing. I'm comfortable with the redesign, it still feels like home, I'm still enjoying the site, I just appreciate all the extras.

Cheers to all the hard workers with alcohol fountains and servers falling on them and whatnot.

Ultimadrago
Ultimadrago
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 19th, 2012 @ 11:19 AM Reply

At 1 day ago, MasterAardvark wrote: Here you go, enjoy your massive black squares!

Thanks, I will!

.....I won't :(

lol jk. Appreciate it.

Bezman
Bezman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 19th, 2012 @ 11:33 AM Reply

I'm still hoping that you reinstate the feature from the layout before last - we used to be able to order all the reviews of a single reviewer by score.

This made reviewing feel actually worthwhile and it let you see people's favourite/least favourite entries (that they had reviewed) as well as being able to quickly check what their median was, if you were curious.

From a personal point of view, I liked being able to easily return to things I had given a glowing review to.

Muffinigans
Muffinigans
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Movie Buff
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 19th, 2012 @ 12:54 PM Reply

Tom,

When it comes to the front page, I rarely pay attention to games and mostly watch the best rated movies and tend to navigate away from them through the 'you might also like' feature. I feel like a lot of not-so-mainstream movies go unnoticed still.
But with games, I definitely pay attention to the banner that features one game oftentimes. That's how I fell in love with Solipskier, for instance. But yes, I agree that perhaps having best games of all time on the front page might be too stagnant to keep there. The genre idea sounds great instead!

This is my first time seeing NG with the new layout, so it will take a bit fiddling around with before I can say what I pay attention to the most. It seems like with less text and more icons it's a bit difficult to get used to where all the buttons/links are now when it comes to my account and such. But that's something that will just take getting used to.

nconde25
nconde25
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Animator
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 19th, 2012 @ 01:34 PM Reply

You took away the ability to blow the whistle and since then 2 times a stolen submition gets daily featured.
If you don't have any mods yet to control the portal do not remove the whistle yet. what were you thinking?
One thing i don't wanna do since the redesign is up? that's uploading flashes since the portal is no man's land.
You don't care of course since you have no competition, but if you keep like this it won't last forever.
Good luck.

BBS Signature
Archonic
Archonic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 19th, 2012 @ 01:49 PM Reply

Flash mods are a VERY good idea but I just have one problem: there now isn't even a flagging button. I understand the problems with the whistle but I would at least like to see some sort of "flag" button which lets you report the flash to the mods without removing it from the site

satanbrain is always wrong
EGB || Bat Crew || Sig by EmmaVolt

BBS Signature
A5auce
A5auce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Writer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 19th, 2012 @ 03:06 PM Reply

How about a "Revert To Classic Layout" Button That Would Be a Treat

A5auce
A5auce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Writer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 19th, 2012 @ 03:08 PM Reply

At 5 hours ago, iscrulz wrote:
At 2 days ago, TapeZgb wrote: yes, the classic portal was more exciting and original. i like the old layout better, this one is too flashy.
Boo hoo. Too bad. How about a nice didlo with your name on it shoved up your ass.

Looks like the NG Staffe is going to need some Raid.

Calm Down No Need For Saying Shit like that. Its an Opinion I Agree With him if you don't Big Fucking Deal

quicktoon
quicktoon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 19th, 2012 @ 06:19 PM Reply

At 3 days ago, TomFulp wrote: There are a few things I'm curious about:

1) Do you find yourself ignoring the big content showcase box here on the front page? I've been told it doesn't make enough of a "call to action" and while looking pretty, people aren't being as enticed to click it as they should be.

I think it's clear that featured content doesn't get as many views with this layout as it did with the previous layout. For me, the main issue is the lack of text. The thumbnails give you no clue what the content is about and they don't let you keep track of what is new. It's a stylish idea, but functionally, it's a step backwards.