Respond to this Topic
BarkingBushbaby
BarkingBushbaby
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Programmer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 17th, 2012 @ 06:22 PM Reply

1) I think it's okay, but I reckon it should only look at one thing.

2) I really like it, but I feel it should be placed on the right and featured content on the left. A bit of web design theory: the eye is naturally attracted to the right, so they're more likely to look there. IMO the categories are a more enticing way to look for stuff rather than throwing out, say, a random game.

3) Feeds? Excellent! I'm an avid user of Google Reader. However, I think I feed with everything in it would move too fast and spam my feed reader...

4) Not evaluating any new submissions... I think the all-in-one portal was better. I also liked the top 100 list which I think is a feature that will be much missed. Actually, most of the time I've spent on the site was playing/watching the stuff on the top 100. That should be included somehow.

MAJOR additional request; I'd much prefer featured Flash movies and games to have their descriptions on the front page... they really mean something, right now it could be an art mashup sir really.

Random thing: I've always had your domain whitelisted in Ghostery (after your ad banner called me an arsehole) but ads haven't shown up at all since the update. What's up with that?

"Friendship is like peeing on yourself; everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings."

acid-burn
acid-burn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 17th, 2012 @ 06:46 PM Reply

I hope this includes Next/Previous buttons for the Art Portal :D

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed dwarf is king.

BBS Signature
shanekunz
shanekunz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Animator
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 17th, 2012 @ 07:24 PM Reply

1) Do you find yourself ignoring the big content showcase box here on the front page? I've been told it doesn't make enough of a "call to action" and while looking pretty, people aren't being as enticed to click it as they should be.

I do sorta ignore it. You should move the new and events column slightly down and extend the showcase box across the entire top of the page if you really want to attract visitors to click the showcase.

Exedor
Exedor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 17th, 2012 @ 09:49 PM Reply

At 16 hours ago, TomFulp wrote:
At 2 hours ago, NitrogenousBeing wrote: Final note: I have seen several artists upload flashes of embedded youtube movies, animations they claim they couldn't fit swf format because of the program they used. The users attacked the guy with no star reviews for doing this. Is there an official stance on whether this is acceptable?
I'm always squeamish about content being hosted by a third party since pretty much all third parties have ceased to exist at some point over the years. That does seem unlikely with YouTube, but it's still an awkward trend - I don't want NG to feel like a second-tier dropspot for YouTube submissions. We'll be addressing this sort of issue.

You should let Newgrounders have input on this. My opinion is that it's a bad idea to allow it for several reasons:

1. It's entirely too easy to steal other people's work that way. All you have to do is embed a link. And it would be more difficult to catch, as it would be a NG username posting something from a Youtube username. As it is, we can go to a site to research if an item is stolen, cuz not everyone has a website, but anyone can load anything on Youtube anonymously. This makes it much more difficult to research and track.

2. If you allow Youtube embedding, you're going to get more people from youtube trying to post their stuff both here and there. You'll end up with videos of 8 year olds jumping on the bed, stupid dog tricks, and Joe falling into the pool. Now, as much as I like women driver videos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv0HkM0XiBs), the influx of crap would be disasterous. After all, there's a reason we all spend our time HERE instead of THERE.

3. It gets too far from what Newgrounds was originally all about. Newgrounds was started so Flash authors could showcase their work. ...their FLASH work. If Youtube stuff was allowed, you might as well change the name to Yougrounds and seal Newgrounds away. What makes this site better than Youtube is that it IS selective about what gets on here. Also, we have the ability for people to post good things, and for us to blam the bad things (which people should do more often). I come here for animations and games, not for videos. If you allow embedding, you might get stuff like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ssxF8EaMO0&ob=av3e but you'll also get stuff like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q15fB7E28Zs And because there's no official stance that video is discouraged on Newgrounds, we get stuff like this: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/583494 or like this: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/588108 which is stolen and modified. I found the original but lost it before I could report it.

Please keep Newgrounds un-embedded and "flash preferred."

peterinns
peterinns
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 17th, 2012 @ 10:49 PM Reply

Hi Tom. Overall I prefer the new design - well done!! - but there are a couple of non-bug things that trouble me:

(a) I miss the detailed numerical game ratings and user stats being on the main game and user pages - the graphics for the stats are okay, but making the actual numbers easily visible alongside the graphics again, as per the old site design, would make things much better. And what are the new user level badges all about - the old ones were far better, and bigger and easier to see;

(b) Quickly put back in the Network user referral site-wide link - there currently seems to be no benefit to me or anyone else for referring our various sites in to NG. Or have I completely missed something very important???

Kindest regards,

Peter Inns.

skullkid229
skullkid229
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 17th, 2012 @ 10:56 PM Reply

As with any redesign or new version of an interface/software, there are always bugs. I myself have noticed that the medals don't update like they did in the old version of NGs. It seemed to me that the points take a day or so to retotal. As the days from the initial redesign have gone on, the bugs are getting better. Overall, this is one of the few redesigns I've like from the start. I liked to old one, but this one is much better.

Skullkid229
Family Man
Adventurer

BBS Signature
AthleteT
AthleteT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 17th, 2012 @ 11:45 PM Reply

Tom,
Let me say first, I love the redesign. The graphics are awesome, and the site looks cutting edge. I actually consult on website usability.
However, there is one thing you need to change about the re-design, something you MUST change or the number of users on the site will slowly be greatly damaged:
I, like every other Newgrounds user, appreciated the few sentences about the different games and movies on the home page of the old design. Why? Not for their humor, etc. but because games aren't adequately summarized in just a picture. The few sentences such as "Unique physics based tower defense game" in the old design was enough to tell users that if they like tower defense games, they should give it a try. In the new design, I see a pretty picture, but have no idea what type of game it is most of the time. You may think this makes users try more games, but in reality it makes impatient (all) users get pissed off and leave because they aren't going to wait to load and wait through the ads to realize its a third game that isn't the type they like to play.
Regards,
Tman

Mchector
Mchector
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Gamer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 12:15 AM Reply

Mr Fulp,may I know what am I going to do with the problem of not being able to write reviews?

cicla
cicla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 02:47 AM Reply

4) Have you found yourself doing anything more or less as a result of the new layout?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

I really think that the news from the mods (Like this one) should be in the bottom of the front page like they used to be.

Ultimadrago
Ultimadrago
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 02:54 AM Reply

Ummm, would totally love the Egoraptor Tankgirl backdrop as a wallpaper...jus' sayin'

FelixColgrave
FelixColgrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Animator
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 06:15 AM Reply

Here you go, enjoy your massive black squares!

Sawdust
Sawdust
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 08:58 AM Reply

I'm pretty sure I'm not the first person to bring this up, but where did all of the icons for all my audio posts go?

mothballs
mothballs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Game Developer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 09:52 AM Reply

How the hell do I deposit my exp? It just keeps saying "Thanks for voting! The more you vote the more experience you get..." or something along those lines.

SergeantLuke
SergeantLuke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 10:12 AM Reply

I don't see a whistle button on Under Judgement submissions any more. I just discovered a stolen game and I'm worried it'll pass.

BBS Signature
k6ka
k6ka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 10:19 AM Reply

At 1 day ago, Eltro2kneo wrote:
At 4 minutes ago, k6ka wrote: The only other thing I'm concerned about is that plan that was going to make everything a "One-vote-per-user," thing, which was in the old old site (I hadn't signed up yet then).
If you think it involves the "like/dislike" system a long with having the same voting power, then you're sadly mistaken.

What Tom means by "one-vote-per-user", he means that once you vote on a submission, you don't have to vote on it again unless you change your opinion. If your voting power gets bigger, then it affects the score. That's all.

That's what I'm concerned about. I vote on the same submissions daily to get my experience points, and if the "One-vote-per-user" system comes on, I have to hunt down new submissions each day, which I dislike.

Eltro2kneo
Eltro2kneo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 10:58 AM Reply

At 32 minutes ago, k6ka wrote:
At 1 day ago, Eltro2kneo wrote:
At 4 minutes ago, k6ka wrote: The only other thing I'm concerned about is that plan that was going to make everything a "One-vote-per-user," thing, which was in the old old site (I hadn't signed up yet then).
If you think it involves the "like/dislike" system a long with having the same voting power, then you're sadly mistaken.

What Tom means by "one-vote-per-user", he means that once you vote on a submission, you don't have to vote on it again unless you change your opinion. If your voting power gets bigger, then it affects the score. That's all.
That's what I'm concerned about. I vote on the same submissions daily to get my experience points, and if the "One-vote-per-user" system comes on, I have to hunt down new submissions each day, which I dislike.

At least it prevents the users from rating down the same thing several times just so it can be hated. But then it gets harder to gain experience, so we need a new way to get experience if this happens (other than voting on UJ uploads).

Words do not kill people, people kill words.
You have no enemies, you are your enemy.
Eltro Mato

Eltro2kneo
Eltro2kneo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 11:12 AM Reply

Tom, are you aware that the B/P rank badges are glitching? Or are you planning on new B/P icons?

Words do not kill people, people kill words.
You have no enemies, you are your enemy.
Eltro Mato

Momo-the-Monkey
Momo-the-Monkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Musician
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 11:21 AM Reply

I noticed on the user page, under "Latest Shares" I see the image below. Kind of hard to read.

It's not just "Latest Shares" either. Most of the hover text is quite are to read since the bottom of the hover image fades out before the text ends.

Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff

Hello, from the past!
[ PHP: Main ]

BBS Signature
armydanywolf
armydanywolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Melancholy
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 11:35 AM Reply

i find the new layout more simple and still more confusing...
i mean, all those new side menus and stuff are totally confusing for me... i dont think i will even use another button than "Classic Portal" and submit in the games/movies dropdown menu. the wiki got a bit worse, doesnt tell much about each feature anymore maybe only its main purpose
i also dont like how now you have to click that stat button thing on your profile to get the numeric stats and now there isnt even a list for levels and ranks to view
i also miss the exp gain notification and the review button with which you could read reviews in a separate window. there isnt one anymore, right? :O

Outlaw88
Outlaw88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Movie Buff
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 12:17 PM Reply

I can't select the amount of stars I want to give for a review... Sad face.

WWE Club Founder of the "Weird" Al club & Strong Badia. TMBG Club! MLP! Sig by: Ryan
Click the sig... Check my blog. My podcast: The Freakacast!

BBS Signature
Xavon
Xavon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 03:36 PM Reply

This has probably been said before, but I miss being able to check how many votes I have and ESPECIALLY reviews via the project dashboard.

I understand public vote counts might encourage or discourage vote rigging (0 bombing) but what is the harm in letting the artist look at the counts? In the very least, the lack of the ability to check review counts without clicking the actual song is tedious as my views and score are displayed (Though an actual numerical value under or next to the stars would be nice as well.)

BBS Signature
TheRainbowZilla
TheRainbowZilla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 03:43 PM Reply

Found a small bug. I vote on art and it doesn't show me a notification. I've tried waiting a few seconds then voting, but it still doesn't show.

PLEASE FIX THIS. :(

Also, can't wait for the surprise this week! ^_^

Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff

"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster,
and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

BBS Signature
jt263
jt263
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Gamer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 03:55 PM Reply

Just a general update: PsychoGoldfish updated user pages today so clicking a medal goes to the game and the page that lists all your medals is now paginated so you don't have to load a million images on one page.

Putting medals to multiple pages is a good update but the amount of games in one page could be higher than 10. I for example have now 40 pages of medals and if I wanted to search for some specific game then it would be really frustrating. For me 50 games would be the best amount but because many people have a slow internet connection then 30 games per page would be a better option.

armydanywolf
armydanywolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Melancholy
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 04:10 PM Reply

At 30 minutes ago, Xavon wrote: I understand public vote counts might encourage or discourage vote rigging (0 bombing) but what is the harm in letting the artist look at the counts?

just keep your cursor on the stars :O then you see it. its not a problem for me
i hope you see this reply, or that i didnt get you wrong

oobooglunk
oobooglunk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 04:13 PM Reply

Why did you have to redesign Newgrounds? Everything is so confusing!

It matters not WHAT you do in life, but WHO you do.

square-spirit
square-spirit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 04:13 PM Reply

i love how it looks, but the site is now really slow for me
my computer is pretty old anyways but normally pages don't lag this bad
maybe my computer just sucks

NG looks better than ever though.

masterguy-1243
masterguy-1243
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 04:33 PM Reply

I leave for two years and now I have no clue what's going on. Being that this is my first post on the new redesign and I haven't read any of the changes, I'm going to hope for an edit option...

Edit: Fuck.

A suggestion, make a quick reply option under the latest post on the page like other forums have. I like that a lot more than having to click "Respond to Post".

FlaggedOnArrival
FlaggedOnArrival
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 05:19 PM Reply

You need to fix the music portal!!! Artists can no longer delete their tracks, nor will any changes be made public! This is a very poor and adverse effect of the new layout! for the love of god, fix this problem...

Her Evolution New Song! Check it out!

XwaynecoltX
XwaynecoltX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Movie Buff
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 05:46 PM Reply

At 2 days ago, TomFulp wrote: Early next week you can expect us to unveil new content formatting, based on the discsussion in this thread.

Ok cool hope it all turnsout for some nice new stuff, and again thanks for a great new redsesign here

~X~

~X~ ~X~ ~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
POXNORA ??? A Very Unique game

BBS Signature
Cormamin520
Cormamin520
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 05:53 PM Reply