Vorlek
Vorlek
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Audiophile
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-17 12:00:39 Reply

At 18 hours ago, TomFulp wrote:
At 1 hour ago, Vorlek wrote: The flash 'splash pages' for each game are a step way way way back imo. Its like going back to the old design when i signed up (2005) which was quite cool 7 years ago... but Flash is really not needed for a button just loads the flash...
You can toggle these under your display options on your account page. We're removing the sounds though.

If you remove the sound, you might as well make it an actual image file, rather then a flash file? I dont think having it as a flash file just to have some flashy effects really adds anything to the site. I really loved the old one where it was just a 'play button' because it was so lightweight.
And disabling it means the movie auto plays which completely gets rid of the point of me opening up hundreds of tabs :P

Anyway, good to hear atleast the sound is getting removed :P

jonthomson
jonthomson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-17 12:20:57 Reply

re: #4, I've been doing everything less because of an awful choice between autoplay content and autoplay sound, neither have a place on the internet

Although I've been doing more as I dont know when I've voted 5 things anymore so go higher to be on the safe side

SiXFouR.668 EU

BBS Signature
jonthomson
jonthomson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-17 12:22:26 Reply

At A few seconds ago, jonthomson wrote: re: #4, I've been doing everything less because of an awful choice between autoplay content and autoplay sound, neither have a place on the internet

Although I've been doing more as I dont know when I've voted 5 things anymore so go higher to be on the safe side

Never mind, just read the post above that the sound is going, much thanks

SiXFouR.668 EU

BBS Signature
Kisuke
Kisuke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-17 12:28:35 Reply

At 22 hours ago, TomFulp wrote:
1) Do you find yourself ignoring the big content showcase box here on the front page?

Yes I do.

2) Have you explored the content genre browsing? Right now we default to sort by date, which was an attempt to put the spotlight on new submissions but may have been a mistake. Instead we should probably default to sorting by score but maybe set the range to "Year" instead of "All" so there's more movement in the space.

I've explored it and I do like the system. I wouldn't try to showcase the new submissions as you should try and cover all of them equally. The newer games are good but so are some that were released 10 years ago. I think you guys are on the right track with setting the range to Year instead of All.

This also makes me wonder if the games front page should be different.

You might be on to something there... That sounds a lot like the Top 50 list in the flash portal.

3) Have you been making use of the feed button (the star next to logout) in the header?

Nope. Don't really care.

4) Have you found yourself doing anything more or less as a result of the new layout?

Why yes I have. I come to the site only once a day to deposit EXP and that's it now. Not a big fan of a lot of things. I hate the blip sound you hear when you click on a submission and that sound when your mouse moves over the 'Play' button. Is that really necessary? Really? Everything looks so scrunched together on the forums to where it strains my eyes after a while when I'm reading the topics. Are the user images really needed next to our names on the forum threads and in each post? What happened to being able to choose the past few pages in a long thread/club instead of just the latest page?

Final Fantasy Club Page: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 âEU¦ 454 âEU¦ 896

??? Why not include the previous few pages like the last two layouts?

I'd go on but I know a lot of what I've said and what I could say have been already. Not trying to shit on your parade here, but I don't like the new design at all. It just seems to get worse with every launch of a new one to me. Didn't care much for the last redesign but it was a lot better than this one IMO. Even then, the 2004 layout we had was probably the best one we've ever had. Simple and clean, easy on the eyes and it wasn't all jumbled and cluttered with everything we have now.

[ King of Hearts: Domon Kasshu - Anime Club ] :: [ Final Fantasy Club ]
XBL / PSN - Voidist
Malice
is my Sword, Rage my Armour & Anger my Shield.

BBS Signature
JonTouchdown
JonTouchdown
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Gamer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-17 12:45:34 Reply

1) Do you find yourself ignoring the big content showcase box here on the front page? I've been told it doesn't make enough of a "call to action" and while looking pretty, people aren't being as enticed to click it as they should be.

Yes often.

2) Have you explored the content genre browsing? I feel like this is a really powerful system that a lot of people are overlooking; some have even complained that we removed genres. Go to the games page and scan the categories in the left column. Click around and start exploring. The categories get really in-depth and you can sort by all sorts of criteria. Right now we default to sort by date, which was an attempt to put the spotlight on new submissions but may have been a mistake. Instead we should probably default to sorting by score but maybe set the range to "Year" instead of "All" so there's more movement in the space.

I find it pretty usefull.

This also makes me wonder if the games front page should be different. Right now we showcase the latest games, popular games from this week, highest scoring games of the month, highest scoring of the year and highest scoring of all time. Popular games tend to just mirror the front page. Best games of all time feels pretty static (instead maybe it could have a random selection from the top 200). But instead of all of that, I'm wondering if we should return to something like the old site, where we have a per-genre showcase. For example, the first box under "Brand Spankin' New Games" could be "Best New Action Games" and list the latest four action games with scores greater than 3.3 (number is based on some personal observations but not set in stone). The showcase would continue with "Best New Adventure Games", etc. I'm thinking it would better highlight the genre categories and might give people more direct access to stuff they like.

A per-genre showcase would be nice.

3) Have you been making use of the feed button (the star next to logout) in the header? It lists new submissions by artists you have favorited, something that was only available via email in the past. We intend to merge all favorites into one list of people you follow, so that you can easily add them from their user page and not have to add them in the context of a piece of content. Our current system (where you favorite artists based on content categories) is really old and has some charm but it feels like overkill nowadays.

I support the idea of a merged list, and after I favorite some more people I will use this button for sure.

4) Have you found yourself doing anything more or less as a result of the new layout?

I have found myself coming back, and excited to do more.

SweetLiquidSnake
SweetLiquidSnake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-17 12:50:47 Reply

I'm not going through all the pages but does anyone when we can see a list of all the level icons?

Pegosho
Pegosho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-17 13:12:37 Reply

1. I think the big pics on the front page actually make me wanna click them more than a simple description of the movie, maybe it's because I'm more visual. Also, I'm glad you are planning to make the author's name visible on each submission, I was gonna PM you about that, but I guess that wouldn't be necessary. :)

2. I had never searched for anything here in NG, the only things I click are front paged stuff and stuff that wins Weekly and Monthly stuff, STUFF!

3. I haven't clicked that star before but now that I know...WOW! That's awesome, IMO, the best feature of the redesign! I never check my emails, so now it's easier for me to know what all my heroes are doing. Also, this feature is really useful when one of your fav. authors post news that aren't posted in front page.

4. You know, all I do is check the front-page, that's what NG is all about IMO, Front-Page! You put it on there and I'll click the hell out of it. That's the part you guys need to concentrate the most.

SpyderZ
SpyderZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-17 13:56:35 Reply

At 20 hours ago, TomFulp wrote:
At 1 hour ago, Vorlek wrote: The flash 'splash pages' for each game are a step way way way back imo. Its like going back to the old design when i signed up (2005) which was quite cool 7 years ago... but Flash is really not needed for a button just loads the flash...
You can toggle these under your display options on your account page. We're removing the sounds though.

Is there a "Sound On" toggle for those of us that don't mind the occasional silly noise? ;P

whatty
whatty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-17 14:04:05 Reply

At 1 day ago, BDPooMan wrote: Pretty awesome sounding ideas

Wow! This looks amazing!

Weak Men are Hard on Others while Strong Men are Hard on Themselves.

BBS Signature
Halvgoeden
Halvgoeden
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-17 14:12:05 Reply

Hi, Tom.

I've been hanging around NG in one form or another for about ten years. When this latest redesign was revealed I was excited, but I've had a few cents jingling around in my pocket I'd like to share.

First of all, thank you for having such a wide-open door policy on user feedback. It's one of the many things that distinguishes Newgrounds from other game/movie portal sites around the web.

I tend to be hyper critical of creative endeavors, but please know that I only mean to be as constructive as possible and give you the feedback you deserve.

On to your questions:

1) Do you find yourself ignoring the big content showcase box here on the front page? ...

I think the call to action issue you're encountering here is a matter of stimulation overload. You've said it yourself: the new design is pretty, but it's a lot to take in.

To begin with, the entire front page is filled with different types of Featured Content, but other than the separate media everything probably blends together in the eyes of an average user.

The Content Showcase, Featured Content, Promoted Games, Best New Games and Movies, and P-Bot's Picks all serve a similar functions: suggested viewing. They are scattered above and below the fold; there is a lot of friction of navigation.

As for the content showcase specifically, it takes time to load and just isn't worth waiting for when everything else on the page performs a similar action.

2) Have you explored the content genre browsing? ...

I've definitely used the content genre browser, but it still lacks a level specificity. Old games and movies that don't have exceptionally high scores still seem to be lost in the pile.

One answer to this may be a crowd-sourced tagging system moderated by users like the comments sections are. A system like that is asking for abuse, but it might help unearth some old gems.

... The showcase would continue with "Best New Adventure Games", etc. I'm thinking it would better highlight the genre categories and might give people more direct access to stuff they like.

Sounds awesome!

3) Have you been making use of the feed button (the star next to logout) in the header? It lists new submissions by artists you have favorited, something that was only available via email in the past. We intend to merge all favorites into one list of people you follow, so that you can easily add them from their user page and not have to add them in the context of a piece of content. Our current system (where you favorite artists based on content categories) is really old and has some charm but it feels like overkill nowadays.

I rarely even notice the feed button, and it's a tertiary action at best so it takes a lot of effort to use when I can just see what looks interesting on the front page.

I still use Newgrounds the way I always have: check the front page for new stuff. If there's no new stuff, leave the site.

In Conclusion

Newgrounds is still as easy to get around as it always was (with some added benefits now). I think the new graphic design is really cool looking and I think you all did an awesome job.

I'm just a stickler for frictionless usability. Please take my words with as much salt as you can and keep on doin' how you do.

Thanks again for being so awesome.

whatty
whatty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-17 14:14:43 Reply

Is there a new levels page?

Weak Men are Hard on Others while Strong Men are Hard on Themselves.

BBS Signature
test-object
test-object
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-17 14:18:04 Reply

At 1 day ago, TomFulp wrote: There are a few things I'm curious about:

There have been more threads and new people popping in the different fora, which is great.

But this is going at the cost of people looking at new art. I guess it used to be more inviting, now it's all crammed together and good luck getting a review from someone. It already was an achievement to get one before, but right now it's simply impossible for them to get motivated and share a word.

A rather disgusting-looking git that should have been disposed of ages ago.

BBS Signature
SpyderZ
SpyderZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-17 14:22:08 Reply

At 1 day ago, TomFulp wrote: 1) Do you find yourself ignoring the big content showcase box here on the front page? I've been told it doesn't make enough of a "call to action" and while looking pretty, people aren't being as enticed to click it as they should be.

I do click through it, though I think that just because I "Trained" to expect content there. :P

2) Have you explored the content genre browsing? I feel like this is a really powerful system that a lot of people are overlooking; some have even complained that we removed genres. Go to the games page and scan the categories in the left column. Click around and start exploring. The categories get really in-depth and you can sort by all sorts of criteria. Right now we default to sort by date, which was an attempt to put the spotlight on new submissions but may have been a mistake. Instead we should probably default to sorting by score but maybe set the range to "Year" instead of "All" so there's more movement in the space.

Yep. Love it. ;P

This also makes me wonder if the games front page should be different. Right now we showcase the latest games, popular games from this week, highest scoring games of the month, highest scoring of the year and highest scoring of all time. Popular games tend to just mirror the front page. Best games of all time feels pretty static (instead maybe it could have a random selection from the top 200). But instead of all of that, I'm wondering if we should return to something like the old site, where we have a per-genre showcase. For example, the first box under "Brand Spankin' New Games" could be "Best New Action Games" and list the latest four action games with scores greater than 3.3 (number is based on some personal observations but not set in stone). The showcase would continue with "Best New Adventure Games", etc. I'm thinking it would better highlight the genre categories and might give people more direct access to stuff they like.

I like this, as long as the "Best of X Period" page still exists, possibly as an "Other Pages" or sommat. It's a nice visual reference (And introduction to games you may otherwise have never tried). I know you can filter these categories, but really, just to see the "Best of X Period" games, I wouldn't likely sit there changing the filter over and over comparing titles.

Nope. But then again, I am not prone to following people. I enjoy coming and sampling an ever changing sea of different content.

I'm using the Forums more, but mainly to give feedback on the new and changing site. I've been coming to Newgrounds for a "Couple" years (Created an Account when medals were introduced? I think?) and I love the direction this site has been going. ;P

JARKARUUS27
JARKARUUS27
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-17 14:32:02 Reply

At 1 day ago, TomFulp wrote: 1) Do you find yourself ignoring the big content showcase box here on the front page? I've been told it doesn't make enough of a "call to action" and while looking pretty, people aren't being as enticed to click it as they should be.

I personally go to this box first and try some of the games. Then I'll move deeper into the site. I love the box personally, though I question sometimes why a particular game is there.

I have not done this yet, but at your suggestion will take a look at it.

No, I never really noticed it honestly...

i've been poking around a bit more exploring the layout, so I'd say more.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Later today we'll see the arrival of the latest Cuboy adventure.

Check back tomorrow for the launch of a mesmerizing new featured game from SpikeVallentine!
Cliffs
Cliffs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Animator
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-17 14:34:33 Reply

Nice man..I dint see that little star there thx for warnin :D,SHE HELPS A LOT

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-17 15:06:37 Reply

At 1 day ago, TomFulp wrote: We have another surprise coming later next week so you'll have to stick around and see what it is! Actually two surprises if you count the new featured game next Friday.

Now that's some very interesting news. I look forward to it!

3) Have you been making use of the feed button

Very interesting, but I want to know if there's a way that you can disable certain users for it? I've just seen it spammed to fuck by TheShadling, who does far too much cock in his art for my liking

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-17 15:07:33 Reply

At A few seconds ago, Coop wrote: Very interesting, but I want to know if there's a way that you can disable certain users for it? I've just seen it spammed to fuck by TheShadling, who does far too much cock in his art for my liking

Right now the only option would be to remove them from your favorites. :(

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Cryoma
Cryoma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-17 15:11:17 Reply

At 1 day ago, TomFulp wrote: 4) Have you found yourself doing anything more or less as a result of the new layout?

Yes, less of everything.
I'm now only logging in to check my PM's and ignoring the rest of the site.
You guys really need to learn to practice moderation in design, I feel like I'm looking at an aerial map of a carnival.

deckheadtottie
deckheadtottie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 59
Programmer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-17 15:13:22 Reply

At 20 hours ago, liljim wrote: You see the little + and - buttons? Click those to expand/collapse the categories, not their titles.

That certainly helps, but say if I clicked through all the sub nav items of "Gadgets", that still refreshes the entire page. It's not really that big of a deal to be honest, I just thought it'd be nice if the content box on the right would automatically update on click of a genre.

Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff

#coys

BBS Signature
Cryoma
Cryoma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-17 15:15:14 Reply

At 16 seconds ago, deckheadtottie wrote: That certainly helps, but say if I clicked through all the sub nav items of "Gadgets", that still refreshes the entire page. It's not really that big of a deal to be honest, I just thought it'd be nice if the content box on the right would automatically update on click of a genre.

I agree, some javascript would be nice.

ciararavenblaze
ciararavenblaze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-17 15:25:16 Reply

I think that it'd be very convenient to show us whether P-Bot's runner-ups are games or movies. I mostly play games on here and watch the occasional movie, and I have no way of knowing which is which with the runner-up selection.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-17 15:32:59 Reply

At 1 hour ago, Halvgoeden wrote: The Content Showcase, Featured Content, Promoted Games, Best New Games and Movies, and P-Bot's Picks all serve a similar functions: suggested viewing. They are scattered above and below the fold; there is a lot of friction of navigation.

This in particular is one of my big goals for the front page - I want to get the content out of the left column. Once we split daily awards for games and movies, I want each to have a row with the top four in the main space.

I would like to bring the artist news further up in the left column so that it gets a lot more attention. At the same time, I want to be stricter about use of the space - I know it's a good way to promote your OTHER sites (facebook, youtube, soundcloud) but users will stop clicking that space if it's just plugs and it's disheartening for me to see the space used for plugs when you could be talking about all the cool stuff you're MAKING or RELEASING. As we get Alphas back up and running that will become even more apparent.

BBS Signature
neverzonegaming
neverzonegaming
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-17 15:44:11 Reply

Im one of those people who opens tabs a lot, i open all the new things under judgement and look though them one at a time but i cant do that anymore due to the Horribly annoying sound of the changing language thing :/ wish it could be disabled

PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-17 15:51:14 Reply

Hurray for cuboy!

Also if you're not already I would highly recommend taking advantage of google analytics events. It would help you A/B test and figure out how people are using the site rather than just have to anecdotally ask a handful of people. I would imagine the participating community of newgrounds does not really accurately represent all of your sites visitors. But thats just me! I like basing decisions off real numbers. :)

BBS Signature
Igyzone
Igyzone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-17 16:02:05 Reply

I post a big response to the question #1:

1) Do you find yourself ignoring the big content showcase box here on the front page? I've been told it doesn't make enough of a "call to action" and while looking pretty, people aren't being as enticed to click it as they should be.

Yeah, to be honest, it kind off wants me to ignore it as well. There are several reasons for it, which I will mention now:
1 - The thumbnails are excessively big.
2 - The space between them is too short. ( makes the site look like a cluttered room )
3 - There are no short descriptions, so you have no idea, what are you going to watch, untill you watch it.

My solution: On the bottom, where is "Featured Contect" ...how should I say, I click every one of them as soon I first saw it. If the showcase box would look just like the featured contect box, the view result would be bigger than ever. Why? The thumbnail picture is slightly smaller than the showcase box ( the size I love the most. ) , it has description ( that's great! ), enough seperatured space between them ( that's awesome!! ) and even score rating and view count ( that's uberly awesome!!! )

But if would they do it my way, you'll probably have to scroll down more than before, which can get annoying, so I would add the "hide" button at the every showcase box, which shrinks the showcase box into a line where it would only sad: "Games" as well to same as "Movies" and you won't have to scroll down that much after all.

It's all up to you, Tom, either way I'm okay with the new redesign. Btw, I love the contect genre browsing, makes the site look more regulated :D ( Sorry if I done any grammar mistakes, english is not my main language :P )

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-17 16:51:44 Reply

At 1 hour ago, ScaryPicnic wrote: is it true there is going to be a Lit portal?

It's always been the plan, we just don't want to jump into another until everything is more fine-tuned.

BBS Signature
GoryBlizzard
GoryBlizzard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-17 17:00:39 Reply

Any plans in the near future to adequately enlarge the level icons?

Eltro2kneo
Eltro2kneo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-17 17:53:51 Reply

At 59 minutes ago, TomFulp wrote:
At 1 hour ago, ScaryPicnic wrote: is it true there is going to be a Lit portal?
It's always been the plan, we just don't want to jump into another until everything is more fine-tuned.

Will that be after the majority of bugs get fixed?

And speaking of bugs, how many have you squashed so far?

Words do not kill people, people kill words.
You have no enemies, you are your enemy.
Eltro Mato

ixfd64
ixfd64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-17 18:12:17 Reply

I've noticed two more bugs:

1. The "add to collection" feature is missing. Manually entering the URL (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/addtocollection/######) works, but the resulting page is very ugly.
2. The "Save info" login checkbox no longer works on iPhone and iPad. Other non-Flash features still work, though.

Find me on Facebook!

BarkingBushbaby
BarkingBushbaby
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Programmer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-17 18:22:31 Reply

1) I think it's okay, but I reckon it should only look at one thing.

2) I really like it, but I feel it should be placed on the right and featured content on the left. A bit of web design theory: the eye is naturally attracted to the right, so they're more likely to look there. IMO the categories are a more enticing way to look for stuff rather than throwing out, say, a random game.

3) Feeds? Excellent! I'm an avid user of Google Reader. However, I think I feed with everything in it would move too fast and spam my feed reader...

4) Not evaluating any new submissions... I think the all-in-one portal was better. I also liked the top 100 list which I think is a feature that will be much missed. Actually, most of the time I've spent on the site was playing/watching the stuff on the top 100. That should be included somehow.

MAJOR additional request; I'd much prefer featured Flash movies and games to have their descriptions on the front page... they really mean something, right now it could be an art mashup sir really.

Random thing: I've always had your domain whitelisted in Ghostery (after your ad banner called me an arsehole) but ads haven't shown up at all since the update. What's up with that?

"Friendship is like peeing on yourself; everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings."