TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-16 12:46:06 Reply

Early next week you can expect us to unveil new content formatting, based on the discsussion in this thread. The plan is that thumbnails will have a visible title and author on the front page while author and score will be visible on all other pages. Rollover info will include description, genre and content rating.

We have another surprise coming later next week so you'll have to stick around and see what it is! Actually two surprises if you count the new featured game next Friday.

The NG buglist is LONG and the gang has been working their way through it. We are also cranking out mockups for improvements and other tweaks around the site.

There are a few things I'm curious about:

1) Do you find yourself ignoring the big content showcase box here on the front page? I've been told it doesn't make enough of a "call to action" and while looking pretty, people aren't being as enticed to click it as they should be.

2) Have you explored the content genre browsing? I feel like this is a really powerful system that a lot of people are overlooking; some have even complained that we removed genres. Go to the games page and scan the categories in the left column. Click around and start exploring. The categories get really in-depth and you can sort by all sorts of criteria. Right now we default to sort by date, which was an attempt to put the spotlight on new submissions but may have been a mistake. Instead we should probably default to sorting by score but maybe set the range to "Year" instead of "All" so there's more movement in the space.

This also makes me wonder if the games front page should be different. Right now we showcase the latest games, popular games from this week, highest scoring games of the month, highest scoring of the year and highest scoring of all time. Popular games tend to just mirror the front page. Best games of all time feels pretty static (instead maybe it could have a random selection from the top 200). But instead of all of that, I'm wondering if we should return to something like the old site, where we have a per-genre showcase. For example, the first box under "Brand Spankin' New Games" could be "Best New Action Games" and list the latest four action games with scores greater than 3.3 (number is based on some personal observations but not set in stone). The showcase would continue with "Best New Adventure Games", etc. I'm thinking it would better highlight the genre categories and might give people more direct access to stuff they like.

3) Have you been making use of the feed button (the star next to logout) in the header? It lists new submissions by artists you have favorited, something that was only available via email in the past. We intend to merge all favorites into one list of people you follow, so that you can easily add them from their user page and not have to add them in the context of a piece of content. Our current system (where you favorite artists based on content categories) is really old and has some charm but it feels like overkill nowadays.

4) Have you found yourself doing anything more or less as a result of the new layout?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Later today we'll see the arrival of the latest Cuboy adventure.

Check back tomorrow for the launch of a mesmerizing new featured game from SpikeVallentine!

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
LostFaceInTrain
LostFaceInTrain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-16 12:47:41 Reply

First

BDPooMan
BDPooMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-16 12:48:31 Reply

Pretty awesome sounding ideas

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-16 12:50:51 Reply

At 20 seconds ago, TomFulp wrote: Early next week you can expect us to unveil new content formatting, based on the discsussion in this thread. The plan is that thumbnails will have a visible title and author on the front page while author and score will be visible on all other pages. Rollover info will include description, genre and content rating.

Just want to say I'm liking the changes to the thumbnails there.

We have another surprise coming later next week so you'll have to stick around and see what it is! Actually two surprises if you count the new featured game next Friday.

Full of excitement the last two weeks have been.

The NG buglist is LONG and the gang has been working their way through it. We are also cranking out mockups for improvements and other tweaks around the site.

I've seen some stuff that I reported that has been fixed so I really appreciate it. :)

2) Have you explored the content genre browsing?

I've been using the tags a lot more than the genres but I hope people will find more use to it as these are really much better than the collection pages.

3) Have you been making use of the feed button (the star next to logout) in the header?

As far as seeing new news posts from my favourite authors, I am liking it but I hope to see more from the notifications star.

4) Have you found yourself doing anything more or less as a result of the new layout?

Still the same as ever apart from tag viewing. Plus, I feel the new portal layouts make it a lot easier to find submissions without icons.

[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-16 12:53:04 Reply

At A few seconds ago, Bahamut wrote: I've been using the tags a lot more than the genres but I hope people will find more use to it as these are really much better than the collection pages.

We actually still have that bug that the genre mods knew to work around, where if you use any uppercase letters in your tag, the data gets lost. It was ok when it was just mods adding tags but now it definitely needs to be fixed.

BBS Signature
Boomstick
Boomstick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Melancholy
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-16 12:53:14 Reply

Cool, I hope all goes well and all the bugs get fixed.

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature
Zachary
Zachary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-16 12:54:37 Reply

At 53 seconds ago, TomFulp wrote: Early next week you can expect us to unveil new content formatting, based on the discsussion in this thread. The plan is that thumbnails will have a visible title and author on the front page while author and score will be visible on all other pages. Rollover info will include description, genre and content rating.

1) Do you find yourself ignoring the big content showcase box here on the front page? I've been told it doesn't make enough of a "call to action" and while looking pretty, people aren't being as enticed to click it as they should be.

I do find myself ignoring the big content box. Although, it would be cool in the future to have maybe contests promoted through the box also.

2) Have you explored the content genre browsing? I feel like this is a really powerful system that a lot of people are overlooking; some have even complained that we removed genres. Go to the games page and scan the categories in the left column. Click around and start exploring. The categories get really in-depth and you can sort by all sorts of criteria. Right now we default to sort by date, which was an attempt to put the spotlight on new submissions but may have been a mistake. Instead we should probably default to sorting by score but maybe set the range to "Year" instead of "All" so there's more movement in the space.

Yes. The genre is one of my favorite features in the new redesign and I find myself using it very often. Users put a lot of hard work into setting the flashes icons and genres to make the site come together and I think everyone did a wonderful job. As for a year option, I think it could come in handy when wanting to watch older flashes that we have long forgotten.

This also makes me wonder if the games front page should be different. Right now we showcase the latest games, popular games from this week, highest scoring games of the month, highest scoring of the year and highest scoring of all time. Popular games tend to just mirror the front page. Best games of all time feels pretty static (instead maybe it could have a random selection from the top 200). But instead of all of that, I'm wondering if we should return to something like the old site, where we have a per-genre showcase. For example, the first box under "Brand Spankin' New Games" could be "Best New Action Games" and list the latest four action games with scores greater than 3.3 (number is based on some personal observations but not set in stone). The showcase would continue with "Best New Adventure Games", etc. I'm thinking it would better highlight the genre categories and might give people more direct access to stuff they like.

I could see this working. When people are in the mood to play games they tend to want to play a specific genre of game. With the option you have proposed, if someone wanted to play an adventure game they would know there are new adventure games waiting for them in the showcase etc.

3) Have you been making use of the feed button (the star next to logout) in the header? It lists new submissions by artists you have favorited, something that was only available via email in the past. We intend to merge all favorites into one list of people you follow, so that you can easily add them from their user page and not have to add them in the context of a piece of content. Our current system (where you favorite artists based on content categories) is really old and has some charm but it feels like overkill nowadays.

Can't say I have, but that was because i was under the impression that it was still broken. Now that you mention it I am sure that I will use it more often. What I just noticed is it tells you when someone you like posts a new news post and that is just an awesome feature.

I find myself on Newgrounds more with the new layout. The forums seem 100% better ( not the topics though ;x ) in almost every way possible. I don't know what it is, but the new design makes me want to post a lot more.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Later today we'll see the arrival of the latest Cuboy adventure. Check back tomorrow for the launch of a mesmerizing new featured game from SpikeVallentine!

Sounds exciting.

BBS Signature
supatann
supatann
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Movie Buff
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-16 12:55:02 Reply

I absolutely love the notifications button by the logout button, that was definitely a good choice in my opinion. I haven't had a chance to try out the rest so I'll get back to you on the other stuff.

A simple man of few words

TapeZgb
TapeZgb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-16 12:55:42 Reply

yes, the classic portal was more exciting and original. i like the old layout better, this one is too flashy.

BBS Signature
BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Artist
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-16 12:56:36 Reply

At 2 minutes ago, TomFulp wrote:
1) Do you find yourself ignoring the big content showcase box here on the front page?

I've always ignored the big featured content box... sorry Tom. =[

A bit, mostly in the Audio Portal though, where it's basically the same as it was. A bit for games and movies, out of curiosity, seems like a decent system for those.

3) Have you been making use of the feed button (the star next to logout) in the header?

No. It would probably help if there was a number, similar to the PM inbox to remind you of stuff to scheck out.

Probably the same amount of useless posting. =P

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature
Jin
Jin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-16 12:56:38 Reply

1. I tend to ignore the showcase.
2. More clicks -> less interest. Perhaps use checkboxes to filter submissions? I know it'll require more work but it's very flexible that way.
3. I hope the feeds include posts which we're quoted, new userpage comments, new reviews on author submissions, review replies. As of now I haven't received a single notification.
4. I'm actually working harder on my projects... and clicking my stat page to get to my all posts page.

BBS Signature
Knuckstrike
Knuckstrike
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 38
Gamer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-16 12:57:47 Reply

At A few seconds ago, TomFulp wrote: Early next week you can expect us to unveil new content formatting, based on the discsussion in this thread. The plan is that thumbnails will have a visible title and author on the front page while author and score will be visible on all other pages. Rollover info will include description, genre and content rating.

Ooh, I love surprises.

Yes, a bit. One 140x90 icon hardly tells anything about the submission. I would at least put the score either in the icon (like in the top right corner), or that it pops up when you move your mouse over it. It looks pretty modern though, so that's a good thing.

This is the option I love most about the whole redisign. An awesome addition. It's structured, easy, and clear. I have done this multiple times.

This also makes me wonder if the games front page should be different.

Yes. It's really messy for me. One 140x90 icon hardly tells anything about the submission. I would at least put the score either in the icon (like in the top right corner), or that it pops up when you move your mouse over it.

I didn't use it yet. It seems nice, and I may use it sometimes. I would like a list that I can browse through though. Not that it only shows the last few. Or that I have a few more options, like checking it per author.

I play medal games less, since it doesn't work optimally. I also check the under judgement submissions less. I don't know why though. Maybe because I got used to the previous flash layout, and I could check the stats for the game by holding my mouse over it.

The Review Request club, the Blammers List (update every 15th), and the Protectors List (Update every 1st). My sig has it all.
Sig by Emperor-Bubba

BBS Signature
SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-16 12:59:37 Reply

I've noticed I've been reading and commenting more on people's newspost with the favorite feature, love it

SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-16 13:00:48 Reply

At A few seconds ago, SineRider wrote: I've noticed I've been reading and commenting more on people's newspost with the favorite feature, love it

oops, I meant the recent notification feature

CrazyRock
CrazyRock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Movie Buff
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-16 13:01:06 Reply

Hey Tom, i have an idea: Make a SoupSquad collection page.

Anyway, i kinda hope that surprise is the lit portal <3

Oh and good job Tom, for everything you did on this site for over that 10 years :)

Thanks Chdonga for the signature. <3

BBS Signature
Acid-Paradox
Acid-Paradox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Musician
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-16 13:04:20 Reply

Hey tom , I don't know if you already explained this but , How do you know when someone reviews your content??

I thought it was going to appear in the notification system , but even if i manually check for new reviews. It won't appear on the notifications.

Thanks

Music is my passion , not my business.

Mattster
Mattster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-16 13:04:47 Reply

1) No, not really. It's quite sexy and all, but I dont really feel drawn towards it. I feel like it also may feel more usable if it had a little nav bar of its own. I dislike how you have to scroll page to page to find something in it (even though there are only about 4 at a time). Either page numbers, or small icons? Just my opinion.

2) A bit, I really like how it is at the side like that. I never really looked a genres on the old design, but this feels more usable. I like the idea of displaying new games with >3.3. Showcase sounds like a good idea too.

3) I don't ever think to use it. I think if it had a little notification icon or number (like messages), I would be drawn to it to see what is new. Or maybe if it was brighter. . . Right now it feels like it would just bring you to a page.

I also think it might be nice if you could "see all" like Facebook, or categorize news (new submission, blog post etc)

4) I've found myself checking out the NG Api more. It feels more usable and clean now. I have also been checking out projects just to see what other goodies it has :3

Just another suggestion. . . When hovering over icons, it shows the maturity-rating in the corner, but I personally barely notice it. I know the hover color is per-section based, what if the hover color reflected the rating (A - red, E - green etc)

And there are my thoughts.

Dogmeat
Dogmeat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Movie Buff
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-16 13:04:50 Reply

At 15 minutes ago, TomFulp wrote: There are a few things I'm curious about:

I find it looks more like an ad and makes me less inclined to click it. Though it is purdy.

No

3) Have you been making use of the feed button?

No

No

I AM THREAD KILLER!

BBS Signature
Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Writer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-16 13:05:40 Reply

At 15 minutes ago, TomFulp wrote: 2) Have you explored the content genre browsing?

No. :(

Hell yes! This feature is awesome to the max!

I have played more games, now that I can see the medals again. I really don't know why the medals wheren't available before the redesign if you chose the classic layout... any I would really like to see something like the classic layout implemented again. But I guess I'm just old fashioned, so it's always "launch popup" for me...

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

Mattster
Mattster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-16 13:08:02 Reply

Another note. . . I think the placement of the voting box is really weird in the audio portal. On all other portals, it is below the ad, in the audio portal, it is the first thing in the column. I constantly find myself scrolling down and missing it completely. It doesn't seem to fit everything else :P

Lunaful
Lunaful
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Melancholy
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-16 13:15:40 Reply

I started to submit art due to the update.

Lunaful Is Awkwardly Honest. MSPA Crew

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-16 13:22:17 Reply

I approve of the sexier avatar compared to the previous less sexy avatar you have.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
Mattster
Mattster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-16 13:37:52 Reply

At 10 minutes ago, bilalz wrote: also when i click a medal on my user page or anyone else's page it leads to the medal page i think it should lead to the submission, and i don't like how the new locked medals look, the old ones look better, more over the locked medals sholdn't be displayed on the medal page, it makes me sad about the medals i didn't win.

Speaking of medals. . . If you go to a user who has a lot of them (ex I have like 19,000 points, which is a fair amount of medals, but there are people with even more), and you view all, it usually makes your browser die for a minute or two while it loads all the images, boxes etc. It would be nice if the medal page had pages or loaded the medals when you clicked on teh game. Right now it's just too much, especially since it now loads all of the medals for every game you have at least 1 medal in.

milksncookie1
milksncookie1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Animator
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-16 13:50:05 Reply

1:) No I don't tend to notice the front page features as much as I used to before the redesign.

2:) The genre browsing is fantastic its very specific and helps me find and sort through games a lot easier since I do have a preference to certain genre's more than others.

3:) Didn't notice it, but looks pretty cool now that I know.

4:) Probably playing a lot more games on here since its much easier to find what I'm looking for, I'm not on the audio portal as much as before but that might have less to do with the redesign and more to do with me.

The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-16 13:51:31 Reply

At 1 hour ago, TomFulp wrote: 1) Do you find yourself ignoring the big content showcase box here on the front page? I've been told it doesn't make enough of a "call to action" and while looking pretty, people aren't being as enticed to click it as they should be.

I like it, but it needs to showcase a bit more to it. It's not used to it's full potential.

I haven't really played around with it much yet. I will be when I get back into reviewing at a full force though.

It would be great if this system could be used to favorite anyone with new information. That way people could subscribe to writers here on Newgrounds and learn of their newest works.

I have found myself here and there as always, but things are much easier to find. However the search of a limit of searching for only 20 characters and at least 4 still makes some problems. It makes it to where I just use Google to find stuff on Newgrounds.

Later today we'll see the arrival of the latest Cuboy adventure.

Awesomeness!

| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-16 13:55:41 Reply

1) Not at all, only thing that bugged me was the lack of titles on the thumbnails, but since you are updating it it's fine. Also cycling between featured users and games and stuff on the big screen of the frontpage is a great idea.

2) Not really, I got too used to only checking the front page for games, but the page seems a bit... "vague", I think it's kind of weird with just a bunch of thumbnails on it, but like I said you're working on it so yeah.

3) Nope. Actually this is the first time I've used it. It does seem pretty nice though. I honestly don't see myself using it too much in the future but that's probably just me.

4) Pretty much everything. Newgrounds feels a lot more dynamic and active than before, it used to have all sorts of old stuff lying around (flash movies from 2006 and such), which made it feel kind of dated. I've been especially using the Music section, I love how you guys sorted them by "new" "best of the week" etc. It's much more interesting to get involved with the community now.

And that's it. Great redesign!

Intro of darkness then redness then whiteness.
My "art" :D

BBS Signature
Rawnern
Rawnern
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-16 14:00:19 Reply

The new design is awesome! Going to take some more time for ME to get to know it and get used to it.

Is it true that the site speed has improved?

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-16 14:04:55 Reply

are we able to change the background of the site like pre-redesign NGS? because having giant Tits on the screen isn't very safe for some of us who surf the site at work Tom.

Exedor
Exedor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-16 14:05:50 Reply

". . . When hovering over icons, it shows the maturity-rating in the corner, but I personally barely notice it. I know the hover color is per-section based, what if the hover color reflected the rating (A - red, E - green etc)"

AGREED!! I've seen Adult selections with the rating color as green, which used to be the E for everyone color. This is a terrific suggestion. Listen to this guy, Tom. :)

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-16 14:06:19 Reply

At 1 hour ago, Jin wrote: 3. I hope the feeds include posts which we're quoted, new userpage comments, new reviews on author submissions, review replies. As of now I haven't received a single notification.

All this is planned for an upgraded feed system down the road.

BBS Signature