At 43 minutes ago, AcetheSuperVillain wrote:
China's current President, Hu Jintao is in the process of stepping down. The man to probably replace him, Xi Jinping is currently on tour in the United States of America to give westerners a taste of the next generation of Chinese politics. So far, I actually like what I've heard of the guy.
You can read about Xi Jinping's style yourself hereor here, but here are the highlights:
- Known for his zero-tolerance of corruption.
okay, that's good, but without free trials that could lead to a Stalin style "purge"
- Studied Chemical Engineering at Tsinghua University
yea a lot of Chinese politicians are Engineers, as opposed to the Lawyers we have here, it works out well for them it seems.
- married to famous singer, Peng Liyuan
- Enjoys American WWII movies; especially likes that the good guys always win
- Described as a tough speaker with quotes like "Some foreigners with full bellies and nothing better to do engage in finger-pointing at us. First, China does not export revolution; second, it does not export famine and poverty; and third, it does not mess around with you. So what else is there to say?"
well they do tend to be very selfish with their international economic practices that are costing people over seas jobs while gathering humanitarian aid from them when ever a disaster in their country happens that they are able to but just flat out unwilling to pay for themselves.
- Plans to promote stronger US-China ties, including backing the US on issues with Iran, the Koreas and counter-terrorism
- Strongly opposes independence movements in Tibet and Taiwan (and Xinjiang?) and has called on the US to recognize its sovereignty over these territories.
that makes him poisonous now. After making this mistake through out the last century so many times over and over again, should the Americans be backing yet ANOTHER brutal dictatorship for their short term best intrests?
I know that many people will want to say that anything the PRC says or does is evil and they should all be bombed into Democracy, but I have to say that if Xin Jinping was running for office in this country, I'd vote for him over the domestic rotten scum career politicians who bicker like children and don't accomplish anything.
without a constitution democracy is just mob rule, took the American founding fathers 6 years to set up the political system they have here. It won't last much longer without a tune up but you have to admit that it lasted a pretty long time in comparison to say, Egypt's short lived democracy.
But what do you guys think of him? Does he seem alright? Will he move China in the right direction?
I was really hoping he would be like Gorbachev, Naive enough to believe in both a communist government AND in giving people the ability to spread information under a transparent government with free speech and free press. He won't be the end of the world but he isn't going to be our unwitting saviour either.