Be a Supporter!

When people review your work

  • 2,593 Views
  • 52 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
FuckSandwich
FuckSandwich
  • Member since: Jun. 10, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Musician
When people review your work Feb. 15th, 2012 @ 09:00 PM Reply

It is NOT so you can tell them that they are wrong. I'm so sick of seeing review replies saying shit like "Oh it's only like that because..." or "I can't do that because _______" or just plainly telling the reviewer that there is nothing wrong with what they pointed out.

Seriously guys, make a conscious effort to take in all constructive criticism, it's how you become a better musician. If you only listen to the compliments, you'll never improve.

Rampant
Rampant
  • Member since: Jan. 22, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Musician
Response to When people review your work Feb. 15th, 2012 @ 09:06 PM Reply

At 4 minutes ago, FuckSandwich wrote: Seriously guys, make a conscious effort to take in all constructive criticism, it's how you become a better musician. If you only listen to the compliments, you'll never improve.

...okay? Thanks for your rant, I guess.

FuckSandwich
FuckSandwich
  • Member since: Jun. 10, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Musician
Response to When people review your work Feb. 15th, 2012 @ 09:09 PM Reply

At 42 seconds ago, RampantMusik wrote: ...okay? Thanks for your rant, I guess.

It's not a rant, it's advice that a lot of people need to follow if they ever want to get anywhere.

Pure-Metal-UTA
Pure-Metal-UTA
  • Member since: Jan. 28, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Musician
Response to When people review your work Feb. 15th, 2012 @ 09:35 PM Reply

Interesting point.. Usually when I respond to a good review I make points on why a flaw in the song could have happened so that I can make a mental note to fix it at a later time.
That's probably why alot of responses have "oh it's like that because --" in it

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Member since: Dec. 11, 2004
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 33
Musician
Response to When people review your work Feb. 15th, 2012 @ 09:40 PM Reply

Why is an artist recognizing the problems instead of freaking out that someone mentioned them a bad thing?


Audio/BBS Mod
News: The Inevitability - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
FuckSandwich
FuckSandwich
  • Member since: Jun. 10, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Musician
Response to When people review your work Feb. 15th, 2012 @ 09:51 PM Reply

At 5 minutes ago, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: Why is an artist recognizing the problems instead of freaking out that someone mentioned them a bad thing?

It isn't...? I don't think you understood my original post. What I was trying to say, is that when somebody takes the time to give an artist constructive criticism, the artist should take note of it, instead of making excuses as to why there was something wrong with the song, or telling them their opinions are wrong.

Although if it's me not understanding your post, I apologize.

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Member since: Dec. 11, 2004
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 33
Musician
Response to When people review your work Feb. 15th, 2012 @ 09:59 PM Reply

At 53 seconds ago, FuckSandwich wrote:
At 5 minutes ago, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: Why is an artist recognizing the problems instead of freaking out that someone mentioned them a bad thing?
It isn't...? I don't think you understood my original post. What I was trying to say, is that when somebody takes the time to give an artist constructive criticism, the artist should take note of it, instead of making excuses as to why there was something wrong with the song, or telling them their opinions are wrong.

Although if it's me not understanding your post, I apologize.

What I'm getting at... is I very often reply like, "It's like that because..."
And when I reply like that, I'm not telling them they're wrong, nor am I making excuses, I'm recognizing the issue and I usually elaborate on how I plan to fix it (Assuming I ever get around to doing so... I won't lie.. I procrastinate a lot when I say I'm gonna fix something about a song).

Example... someone says, "That bend was a little off pitch during x section of the song"
I reply, "Yeah, I kind of screwed that up, I was having a hard time fitting the bend in just right with all the notes before it, and I kind of gave up on getting it perfect after 30some recording takes, I might go back and fix it later."

I'm not sure if you're taking other peoples responses out of context or they're "it's because..." replies are followed by a different manner of reply... but even if they're making excuses, at least they are recognizing that there is an issue.

IMO, It's much worse when someone points out a mistake or gives some constructive criticism and the artist simply throws it back in their face flat out saying, "You don't know what you're talking about, it was meant to be like that"... Or worse, "STFU GTFO".
Which you see all too often, unfortunately. Kids with bigger egos than they have talent to accommodate.


Audio/BBS Mod
News: The Inevitability - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
FuckSandwich
FuckSandwich
  • Member since: Jun. 10, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Musician
Response to When people review your work Feb. 16th, 2012 @ 08:38 AM Reply

Yeah that's pretty much what I'm saying, I guess I didn't word my posts very well. Nothing wrong with giving a legitimate reason why, but it's the people that do what you described that are the worst.

Buoy
Buoy
  • Member since: May. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Musician
Response to When people review your work Feb. 16th, 2012 @ 09:02 AM Reply

I only reply like that when people think what i did was a mistake when it was in fact a conscious decision that I have no intent of changing.

Gario
Gario
  • Member since: Jul. 30, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Musician
Response to When people review your work Feb. 16th, 2012 @ 01:58 PM Reply

I think the confusion comes in because you didn't type out your responses in a typically poor manner. All lowercase or all caps and calling you a shit composer. At least, that's what most of the bad responses I've heard tend to do to the reviewer.

So yeah, hence the confusion.


Need some music for a flash or game? Check it out. If none of this works send me a PM, I'm taking requests.

skyood
skyood
  • Member since: Jul. 12, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to When people review your work Feb. 16th, 2012 @ 02:34 PM Reply

At 5 hours ago, SBB wrote: I only reply like that when people think what i did was a mistake when it was in fact a conscious decision that I have no intent of changing.

Even in the situation you're describing it's worth thinking about, even if what people hate happens to be exactly what you love. Maybe given some thought you'll come to the conclusion that what you love isn't translating properly to other's ear and tweak it. Having said that, given the small sample size of people that review a given song you can't take one person's opinion too seriously, but it's maybe worth thinking about. I don't see how a hostile/demeaning/dismissive response to a critical review is helpful under any circumstances.

/shrug just my 2c.


BBS Signature
nakedxbabe
nakedxbabe
  • Member since: Feb. 22, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Musician
Response to When people review your work Feb. 16th, 2012 @ 03:07 PM Reply

You are wrong though, they can tell you why something is wrong or right because thye just want you to see it there way before reviewing something.
Saying " Oh your style sucks" but it could be what they are going for.
If you say you don't see the point of the flash or animation they can tell you otherwise and tell you what it meant and what the story is.
And then you can edit your review in a nice manner where you understand what they were going for!


Myspace
Website Coming SoonPurevolume
<BR>Perfection Confection Sugar, you can use it on babies.

BBS Signature
StaLagmiTeMusic
StaLagmiTeMusic
  • Member since: Feb. 13, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Musician
Response to When people review your work Feb. 16th, 2012 @ 09:30 PM Reply

well I perfectly understand what you're saying. but is this quality in musicians on here that frequent?? Iv'e never seen someone defend their work like that lol that would be destroying the whole point of constructive criticism... it's bad enough to even hold the idea that your music is perfect haha


BBS Signature
FuckSandwich
FuckSandwich
  • Member since: Jun. 10, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Musician
Response to When people review your work Feb. 17th, 2012 @ 09:52 AM Reply

At 12 hours ago, StaLagmiTeMusic wrote: well I perfectly understand what you're saying. but is this quality in musicians on here that frequent?? Iv'e never seen someone defend their work like that lol that would be destroying the whole point of constructive criticism... it's bad enough to even hold the idea that your music is perfect haha

I see so many people doing it all the time, and most of them aren't even that good.

Chris-V2
Chris-V2
  • Member since: Aug. 23, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Musician
Response to When people review your work Feb. 17th, 2012 @ 02:18 PM Reply

The irony of being offended by someone being offended by your critcism - constructive, justified or otherwise - is overwhelming.

The real issue I think is important for you isn't why they're mad about it, the question is why you're mad about it.

StaLagmiTeMusic
StaLagmiTeMusic
  • Member since: Feb. 13, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Musician
Response to When people review your work Feb. 17th, 2012 @ 03:32 PM Reply

At 1 hour ago, Chris-V2 wrote: The irony of being offended by someone being offended by your critcism - constructive, justified or otherwise - is overwhelming.

The real issue I think is important for you isn't why they're mad about it, the question is why you're mad about it.

is he really mad though? lol I don't think he's mad. he's just suggesting that people should stop being defensive against reviews they don't like. if anything, I would say he's complaining lol


BBS Signature
FuckSandwich
FuckSandwich
  • Member since: Jun. 10, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Musician
Response to When people review your work Feb. 17th, 2012 @ 03:38 PM Reply

At 4 minutes ago, StaLagmiTeMusic wrote: is he really mad though? lol I don't think he's mad. he's just suggesting that people should stop being defensive against reviews they don't like. if anything, I would say he's complaining lol

This, Chris-V2.

Chris-V2
Chris-V2
  • Member since: Aug. 23, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Musician
Response to When people review your work Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 09:02 AM Reply

At 17 hours ago, FuckSandwich wrote:
At 4 minutes ago, StaLagmiTeMusic wrote: is he really mad though? lol I don't think he's mad. he's just suggesting that people should stop being defensive against reviews they don't like. if anything, I would say he's complaining lol
This, Chris-V2.

The issue stands. Most artists actually aren't really looking for help and even the ones who do ask may not find your criticism as constructive as you do. Infact this thread is a perfect example as I think the thread isn't actually a constructive arguement so much as a soap box for someone who has had some negative encounters with other artists and that critique isn't being taken on in the open, enlightened spirit one might hope.

Everyone has an ego, very few people are o.k with having theirs scrutinised - even by themselves. Don't be surprised when people take it badly. Especialy when the internet's involved.

heur
heur
  • Member since: May. 29, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Musician
Response to When people review your work Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 02:35 PM Reply

Right now a song of mine has a pop in it. It's the result of a reverb filter carrying on a split second after the volume control for the same track shuts off, resulting in the track, and its reverb, shooting up to default volume.

Now, here's what an excuse looks like...

I'm really tired of working on that project.


BBS Signature
boney-man
boney-man
  • Member since: Jul. 24, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Musician
Response to When people review your work Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 03:43 PM Reply

At 1 day ago, FuckSandwich wrote: I see so many people doing it all the time, and most of them aren't even that good.

Yeah it's the people who aren't good who do it, because they never take the advice and continue to suck and be defensive about it. Real artists will acknowledge criticism.


#1286129 // soundcloud.com/1shibumi

BBS Signature
FuckSandwich
FuckSandwich
  • Member since: Jun. 10, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Musician
Response to When people review your work Feb. 19th, 2012 @ 08:42 PM Reply

At 1 day ago, boney-man wrote:
At 1 day ago, FuckSandwich wrote: I see so many people doing it all the time, and most of them aren't even that good.
Yeah it's the people who aren't good who do it, because they never take the advice and continue to suck and be defensive about it. Real artists will acknowledge criticism.

Agreed.

WizMystery
WizMystery
  • Member since: Feb. 3, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Musician
Response to When people review your work Feb. 19th, 2012 @ 11:18 PM Reply

At 4 days ago, FuckSandwich wrote: It is NOT so you can tell them that they are wrong. I'm so sick of seeing review replies saying shit like "Oh it's only like that because..." or "I can't do that because _______" or just plainly telling the reviewer that there is nothing wrong with what they pointed out.

Seriously guys, make a conscious effort to take in all constructive criticism, it's how you become a better musician. If you only listen to the compliments, you'll never improve.

I've had people tell me to change a piece to something that was the exact opposite it was trying to be. I'm not going to take every little bit of criticism as if it was infalliable and if someone takes time out of their day to offer their view they deserve to know that. Replying with "Oh it's that way because..." doesn't always make you a bad artist, it can sometimes show you actually know what you want to be instead of some mould for the public to play with.

Criticism is a pretty useless thing in general anyway, if we're talking about art. A cumulative list of people's issues does nothing but put a cramp on creativity when said people aren't putting in any effort to see things from the artist's point of view. A real artist doesn't take shit from anybody; an entertainer, maybe, but not an artist. In this industry, however, it's apparently something you have to live with and, oh, not criticize. It's like what ChrisV2 said; the irony of a reviewer getting upset with feedback about their shitty criticism is astounding.

I have asked for and still ask for reviews. I've learned what necessitates criticism and what doesn't, however, as some music is meant to be more functional than others.

Morph94
Morph94
  • Member since: Jun. 16, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to When people review your work Feb. 20th, 2012 @ 12:04 AM Reply

When People Review Your Work, they tend to be assholes about it. I'm all for constructive criticism, but when it comes with outright abuse of the author, it doesn't help anybody.


BBS Signature
Psil0
Psil0
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Musician
Response to When people review your work Feb. 20th, 2012 @ 11:19 AM Reply

Meh, most of the time when someone says there's something wrong with my song, I've usually found it to be on something I originally intended. And if it's something like that, I usually just throw their opinions out the window. On the other hand, if someone mentions something creative or interesting to add or a particular part that is an actual problem, I do tend to keep it in mind.

Also, not all advice or opinions should be taken seriously or noted. If people did that, then they'd just end up writing the music others wanted them to write.

Soapbubble
Soapbubble
  • Member since: Jun. 12, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Audiophile
Response to When people review your work Feb. 20th, 2012 @ 11:25 AM Reply

I don't mind what response I get as long as it's not "You r stupid u don't kno music."


AFK

Antonio140
Antonio140
  • Member since: May. 7, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to When people review your work Feb. 20th, 2012 @ 11:29 AM Reply

At 2 minutes ago, Soapbubble wrote: I don't mind what response I get as long as it's not "You r stupid u don't kno music."

I agree with you
=T

xxxZigZagxxx
xxxZigZagxxx
  • Member since: Nov. 9, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Musician
Response to When people review your work Feb. 22nd, 2012 @ 04:16 AM Reply

At 2 days ago, WizMystery wrote: Criticism is a pretty useless thing in general anyway, if we're talking about art. A cumulative list of people's issues does nothing but put a cramp on creativity when said people aren't putting in any effort to see things from the artist's point of view. A real artist doesn't take shit from anybody; an entertainer, maybe, but not an artist.

A real artist wants to improve, so sometimes they have to take the shit. The shit makes them a better artist.

TAKE the SHIT.


BBS Signature
midimachine
midimachine
  • Member since: Jan. 7, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to When people review your work Feb. 22nd, 2012 @ 05:23 AM Reply

Most "constructive reviews" on this site are by people who really haven't got a clue, just saying!


p.s. i am gay

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Artist
Response to When people review your work Feb. 22nd, 2012 @ 06:03 PM Reply

At 6 days ago, SBB wrote: I only reply like that when people think what i did was a mistake when it was in fact a conscious decision that I have no intent of changing.

same here. Some things you just don't see as a big issue in the grand scheme of things - or some things you may actually end up liking - and others simply boil down to personal taste. For example I like songs with lots of high end in them and less bass - so reviews that are OMG NEEDS MORE bass - theeeey don't really concern me as it is a personal preference. that is what the bass knob on speakers and the eq sliders in winamp were built in for kiddies :P


Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
la-yinn
la-yinn
  • Member since: Nov. 17, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 23
Musician
Response to When people review your work Feb. 22nd, 2012 @ 06:16 PM Reply

At 13 hours ago, xxxZigZagxxx wrote:
TAKE the SHIT.

This statement combines brilliance with finesse. Kudos to you, lad.

At 4 minutes ago, Chronamut wrote:
At 6 days ago, SBB wrote: I only reply like that when people think what i did was a mistake when it was in fact a conscious decision that I have no intent of changing.
same here. Some things you just don't see as a big issue in the grand scheme of things - or some things you may actually end up liking - and others simply boil down to personal taste. For example I like songs with lots of high end in them and less bass - so reviews that are OMG NEEDS MORE bass - theeeey don't really concern me as it is a personal preference. that is what the bass knob on speakers and the eq sliders in winamp were built in for kiddies :P

Yeah man I agree with you there, definitely. Especially concerning the last part what with the eq sliders. Personally I get pretty annoyed when people complain the song is 'not loud enough'. As if they want me to wreck all the harmonics, just because they're too lazy to turn up the volume. Sheesh..

But as for review responses, most people so far seem to like what I write and respond nicely. I'm willing to share ideas or thoughts with anybody who's interested. If it turns out my critique isn't appreciated, then whatever. I'll just go review another guy's work. No problemo!

I have to say though, that most people i've encountered on this site are very open to criticism and take it very well. I'm getting the impression that you're painting off an overly negative picture tbh. Of course, some people actually are really ignorant. But is it really that much of a deal? Hell, you spent like 10 minutes of your day making an attempt to help somebody out. Not the end of the world if they don't want to learn.


Latest tracks:
Sub Marines
Chemosound