TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Browsing Content - Feedback Please Feb. 15th, 2012 @ 06:26 PM Reply

At 14 minutes ago, Zachary wrote: What about something along the lines of this? I guess the star could be removed, but I'm guessing you guys want the stars there.

Tempting but a lot of usernames might need to get cropped to make it work.

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Zachary
Zachary
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Browsing Content - Feedback Please Feb. 15th, 2012 @ 06:36 PM Reply

At 7 minutes ago, TomFulp wrote:
At 14 minutes ago, Zachary wrote: What about something along the lines of this? I guess the star could be removed, but I'm guessing you guys want the stars there.
Tempting but a lot of usernames might need to get cropped to make it work.

Just came to a conclusion. Isn't one of the reasons the frontpage is being redesigned is because of it being too much on the eyes? I feel like if you have the stars right in our face it will add even more clutter to the page.

Here is something like a modified version of your most recent one. That way, by default you get the author name and movie title and then on roll over you get a description, rating, genre, and the rating.

Browsing Content - Feedback Please

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Browsing Content - Feedback Please Feb. 15th, 2012 @ 06:44 PM Reply

At 5 minutes ago, Zachary wrote: Here is something like a modified version of your most recent one. That way, by default you get the author name and movie title and then on roll over you get a description, rating, genre, and the rating.

Star ratings aren't too useful on the front page but for every other page, they make it really easy to scan for quality stuff. A lot of people are dismayed about having to mouse over everything in the grid to find out which one has a good score.

BBS Signature
tox
tox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Audiophile
Response to Browsing Content - Feedback Please Feb. 15th, 2012 @ 06:50 PM Reply

as a different idea, there could also be a sub menu for the front page where the stuff we want to view will come to the top of the screen instead of us having to drop down,

or we could drag and drop things as we want, it will still give us the advertising but it could give us the option to put what we want up front and center so that we can quickly and easily see what we want

alternatively the things that we click on could drop the window down to the thing we want,

i like the idea of a drag and drop sort of thing, it allows the people that are interested in something specific to get to that thing quickly and easily

call me toxie 0.~
reached vet status by RacistBassist , fuckyeah.jpg

BBS Signature
Zachary
Zachary
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Browsing Content - Feedback Please Feb. 15th, 2012 @ 06:55 PM Reply

At 3 minutes ago, TomFulp wrote:
At 5 minutes ago, Zachary wrote: Here is something like a modified version of your most recent one. That way, by default you get the author name and movie title and then on roll over you get a description, rating, genre, and the rating.
Star ratings aren't too useful on the front page but for every other page, they make it really easy to scan for quality stuff. A lot of people are dismayed about having to mouse over everything in the grid to find out which one has a good score.

Ah, I didn't even think of that. I'm guessing most of the flash on the front page would look like they all had the same score or something of that nature.

I just think that having the stars not on a rollover would make it look even more...overbearing?

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Browsing Content - Feedback Please Feb. 15th, 2012 @ 07:07 PM Reply

Update: We're ditching the perfect 140x140. The front page will have title and author, everywhere else will have title and stars. So never more than two rows under a thumbnail.

BBS Signature
Zachary
Zachary
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Browsing Content - Feedback Please Feb. 15th, 2012 @ 07:09 PM Reply

At A few seconds ago, TomFulp wrote: Update: We're ditching the perfect 140x140. The front page will have title and author, everywhere else will have title and stars. So never more than two rows under a thumbnail.

Sounds like a plan. When can we expect to see the frontpage change?

BBS Signature
PIED3
PIED3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Browsing Content - Feedback Please Feb. 15th, 2012 @ 07:11 PM Reply

At 45 seconds ago, TomFulp wrote: Update: We're ditching the perfect 140x140. The front page will have title and author, everywhere else will have title and stars. So never more than two rows under a thumbnail.

What about them numerical scores? I feel that is an extremely important feature that really made NGs score system stand out above other internet websites. It made it so easy to compare various pieces of content, to see when a flash was definitely worth watching, to compare good days (in terms of submission quality) to bad ones. I just really really like it, think others do, find it useful, and highly recommend having available SOMEWHERE (perhaps on rollover?).

BBS Signature
Kwing
Kwing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Game Developer
Response to Browsing Content - Feedback Please Feb. 15th, 2012 @ 08:03 PM Reply

I definitely like the title and name at the bottom. However, the star thing and rating are kind of obstructive. I'm really getting sick of not being able to see scores as numbers, since submissions in the top 50 are competing by 1/100ths of a point... 4.44, for instance, is a huge difference from 4.40. What I would like to see would be a similar layout, but with the numbered score next to a single star in the bottom left corner, a single letter (E, T, M, A) in the bottom right corner, and... Well fuck, the description is really obstructive, but it works the way it is. I still miss the little boxes that pop up on the side when you roll over something.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.
Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Aryk
Aryk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Browsing Content - Feedback Please Feb. 15th, 2012 @ 08:34 PM Reply

At 2 hours ago, TomFulp wrote: Does this one cross the line? It makes every submission a perfect 140x140 box. Scores are visible which makes sub-pages much easier to scan. The reclaimed space in the thumbnail means we can show both description AND genre info, keeping game and movie showcases identical.

I don't really think the scores are necessary for the front page because it's a featured movie so it's obvious that it has a good score.

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Browsing Content - Feedback Please Feb. 15th, 2012 @ 09:32 PM Reply

At 2 hours ago, PIED3 wrote:
At 45 seconds ago, TomFulp wrote: Update: We're ditching the perfect 140x140. The front page will have title and author, everywhere else will have title and stars. So never more than two rows under a thumbnail.
What about them numerical scores? I feel that is an extremely important feature that really made NGs score system stand out above other internet websites.

I agreeeee, that was part of my insistence of having a numerical denomination, even if stars are available. My reasoning is, that something thats a 4.35 is like really impressive in ng lingo, whereas like 4.1 or something seems impressive but not so much so, and visually looking at stars its not readily obvious which one is a 4.35 and which one isnt. In most websites that'd be fine but i think within the realm of newgrounds, those decimals 'matter'. Atleast from an author standpoint. Maybe to the general public they could care less.

None

Damien
Damien
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Artist
Response to Browsing Content - Feedback Please Feb. 15th, 2012 @ 09:54 PM Reply

I think that instead of debating how it looks, you guys should just change the submissions on frontpage everyday. Everyone watches them anyway, and the description is in the page.

That way theres more exposure for everyone and you guys dont have to change anything. EVERYBODY WINS

ZombieMonkey
ZombieMonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Melancholy
Response to Browsing Content - Feedback Please Feb. 16th, 2012 @ 02:06 AM Reply

I actually really like the two column layout. I hope that it gets implemented.

"I need a katana to slice a banana"

ih8dude
ih8dude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Movie Buff
Response to Browsing Content - Feedback Please Feb. 16th, 2012 @ 02:15 AM Reply

At 8 hours ago, TomFulp wrote: Does this one cross the line? It makes every submission a perfect 140x140 box. Scores are visible which makes sub-pages much easier to scan. The reclaimed space in the thumbnail means we can show both description AND genre info, keeping game and movie showcases identical.

This is my favorite so far, it's all the information I need to have before deciding to click on the submission. I was leaning toward two columns until I saw this since the information I want is all present.

Lionelion
Lionelion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Browsing Content - Feedback Please Feb. 16th, 2012 @ 03:45 AM Reply

looks and sounds great! although dissing a submission seems a little harsh. why dont you just put the little description there like you do with every other submission, like is seen at the bottom of the page?
other than that, go for it!

ih8dude
ih8dude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Movie Buff
Response to Browsing Content - Feedback Please Feb. 16th, 2012 @ 04:09 AM Reply

At 8 hours ago, TomFulp wrote: Update: We're ditching the perfect 140x140. The front page will have title and author, everywhere else will have title and stars. So never more than two rows under a thumbnail.

I think the content rating (E,T,M,A) and score should be included too, so three lines. The author, title, content rating, and score is what I believe is needed to decide whether or not I even want to view it. And once I rollover maybe description and numeric review score so I can decide not to click or not.

Morlord
Morlord
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Melancholy
Response to Browsing Content - Feedback Please Feb. 16th, 2012 @ 05:51 AM Reply

There should be some kind of indication for when you have already watched/played one of the frontpaged movies/games, like them being grayed out or something.
On the old design, any of the clicked frontpaged stuff would change their text colour, so it was easy to differ from new frontpage content and already viewed content.

Expectrum
Expectrum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Browsing Content - Feedback Please Feb. 16th, 2012 @ 07:04 AM Reply

At 11 hours ago, TomFulp wrote: Update: We're ditching the perfect 140x140. The front page will have title and author, everywhere else will have title and stars. So never more than two rows under a thumbnail.

I agree with this as long as we're able to see the numerical score, description, author and genre immediately after hovering the icon everywhere else.

BBS Signature
Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Browsing Content - Feedback Please Feb. 16th, 2012 @ 07:07 AM Reply

Well, now you're still fixing things...
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/2d825c3b046c922fbe988fcb b6aaab55

Exedor
Exedor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Blank Slate
Response to Browsing Content - Feedback Please Feb. 16th, 2012 @ 02:26 PM Reply

At 1 day ago, TomFulp wrote: Let me know if this sort of layout would satisfy most of what you are looking for when browsing content. Notes:

I like it. It would be a definate improvement. More information and easier to get to.

It seems a lot of information has been removed or made more difficult to get to in the redesign.

For example: user profile stats. We used to be able to find all a user's info by clicking on their profile and all the info was right there. Now, it's spread over several areas/pages and is less logically placed, compared to what it had been. It also seems like the info about an author is more hidden now. It used to always be in the upper, left side of a page. Now, it's hidden down below the voting panel, an ad or two, clear down toward the bottom of a page. I like to see who's submitting an item right away. It also helps to identify a stolen item faster.

Also, I miss the "Other submission by this author" drop down box. The new "Related Stuff" list may have some similar items, but it can also have very different items, and without the "Other submissions" box, I have to go to their profile, look up their submissions, and locate the item I'm looking for. It was one easy click before, but now it's a search.

Putting the info back into easy access is a step in the right direction, Tom. :)

SpyderZ
SpyderZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Browsing Content - Feedback Please Feb. 16th, 2012 @ 02:29 PM Reply

So I was a fan of the 140x140 mock-up, but then again I enjoy as much visible data as "Fits", which I understand might not be part of the design goal at the moment. My only suggestion is, why not have the Genre/Rating/"Whatever you banish to the Mouse over" replace the Title/Author/"Whatever's left on Front", leaving more room for the Description. At the point that you've chosen to "Mouse Over" an Icon, you have already digested that information, and now you're looking for more. There's no reason to leave that static.

Noodle
Noodle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Animator
Response to Browsing Content - Feedback Please Feb. 16th, 2012 @ 03:11 PM Reply

I suppose stars on the front page isn't really any sort of musthave. Anywhere they are used though, the system needs to refined. It doesn't seem to very precise. At all. A 4.40 looks the exact same as a 4.00. I'm not sure if it's just me, but it nowhere near reflects the numerical score.
I do kind of think that showcasing the author is important though! It doesn't really matter how it's displayed, but I would like to see who made what.

GAH!

BBS Signature
ArmouredGRIFFON
ArmouredGRIFFON
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Reader
Response to Browsing Content - Feedback Please Feb. 17th, 2012 @ 10:28 PM Reply

At 2 days ago, TomFulp wrote: Let me know if this sort of layout would satisfy most of what you are looking for when browsing content. Notes:

1) For games, the short description may be replaced by genre information.

2) We've been trying layouts that put the title and description next to the thumbnail but it takes up a lot of space, literally doubling the vertical space of any page that shows content.

3) Sorry I typed in random author names / repeated incorrect info.

4) The summary in the sample rollover is not intended as a diss on any of the submissions in this screenshot, although it could be used as a diss on various submissions on any given day.

I'm thinking that we could really use a Lit portal... I know it isn't as active as we would hope, but if the folk's down at the Writers forum had a place to submit their work it would work hand in hand with the Flash portal.

I thought that there could be a very simple system which would allow the two groups of users to work together - animators looking for something to animate, and writers looking to write:

On the "Lit Portal" people wanting to use their work could tick a little box, and the authors (writers) could be given a little notification or table reading "Username wants to use your work", from there we could have an accept or decline feature (serving as consent because the work ought to be licensed under the Creative Commons act).

What this would do is give animators space and room to develop their skills and writers the opportunity to focus on script development, flourish more in that area, watching their work come to life.

As a suggestion to integrate all areas of the website I think it is pretty okay - what do you say Tom?

Your friendly neighbourhood devils advocate.

BBS Signature
HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Melancholy
Response to Browsing Content - Feedback Please Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 02:54 AM Reply

I prefer having the "_ place" format instead of a bunch of random ones like that. Also, we really need the recent submissions box again. Preferably where the P-Bot picks one is right now.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
dragonflamesmedia
dragonflamesmedia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Browsing Content - Feedback Please Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 11:46 PM Reply

That looks AWESOME Tom. I love that idea

Keep the creative juices flowing... if you need some, I have apple and grape in the fridge

loopyjuice
loopyjuice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Gamer
Response to Browsing Content - Feedback Please Feb. 19th, 2012 @ 12:12 AM Reply

im a slightly new member to ng and its like a sentient bieng said to me welcome home and now that its upgraded its the

#1 site on the internet in my eyes good job tom your know god of the internet

Checkerszero
Checkerszero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Browsing Content - Feedback Please Feb. 19th, 2012 @ 07:44 AM Reply

Looks good!
My only quarrel with the redesign in general was the fact that the ad placement on movies and games with a 'landscape format' that make the credits below that ad, it's distracting as hell and you have to scroll down to rate properly and check who made it and everything, which is a massive pain when you have a tablet with no scroll wheel. If the Ad was below the info and creds it'd be better. That's the only problem that comes off for me, but I've solved it with an Ad Blocker that comes with Google chrome. Like I'm fine with ads, but not when it's right there flashing away when the focus is supposed to be elsewhere, and in a place where artist credit should be placed too, if that makes sense.
On the whole, I love this redesign so much, the NG team's work is phenomenal!

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Browsing Content - Feedback Please Feb. 19th, 2012 @ 10:12 AM Reply

At 2 hours ago, Checkerszero wrote: My only quarrel with the redesign in general was the fact that the ad placement on movies and games with a 'landscape format' that make the credits below that ad, it's distracting as hell and you have to scroll down to rate properly and check who made it and everything, which is a massive pain when you have a tablet with no scroll wheel.

I'd like to try moving the ad below the credits IF the user is logged in - so registered users get a better experience and the general public get more prominent ads. Those ads primarily generate revenue for the artists / developers, so the goal is to increase their revenue.

BBS Signature
Coraxus
Coraxus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Browsing Content - Feedback Please Feb. 22nd, 2012 @ 07:17 PM Reply

Holy fuck me in the goat ass. I've been away for a couple weeks only to come to this? All I gotta say is:

Browsing Content - Feedback Please

Only I can make blue whales cry.