New Topic Respond to this Topic
iMini
iMini
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Movie Buff
Level icons image quality appauling Feb. 11th, 2012 @ 05:21 PM Reply

Just look. Why are they such poor quality?

Take the baton for instance, it's tilted to the right, and you can see the diagonal lines aren't straight, they have jagged lines all along it, giving it that terrible MS Paint feeling. Maybe it's because they're so small, but seriously, Tom, where's the anti-aliasing at? This could all just be what my monitor is displaying, but they just look so awful, it just looks like someone was really lazy when designing, and I'm not trying to hate on anyone, I just can't see a reason for it, when the last icons looked so nice and high quality, these are just, awful.

I really can't think of anything else to say, I just don't understand.

illicit makes a damn good signature.

BBS Signature
Mumbo
Mumbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Level icons image quality appauling Feb. 11th, 2012 @ 05:25 PM Reply

It's just your monitor.

|XBL Gamertag: ShadowboltRD | Bronies before Hoenies| YenMuffin made my sig

BBS Signature
TheRainbowZilla
TheRainbowZilla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Level icons image quality appauling Feb. 11th, 2012 @ 05:25 PM Reply

It's supposed to look retro and pixelated. Personally, I like the retro look and feel.

Fuck the level icon critics.

"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster,
and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

BBS Signature
Squidbit
Squidbit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to Level icons image quality appauling Feb. 11th, 2012 @ 05:26 PM Reply

That's cause they're pixel art

Peglay
Peglay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Level icons image quality appauling Feb. 11th, 2012 @ 05:26 PM Reply

I actually rly like the retro look

You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else.

BBS Signature
SpaceWhale
SpaceWhale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Level icons image quality appauling Feb. 11th, 2012 @ 05:27 PM Reply

Well I think they look just fine and dandy, thank you.

Can you feel it mister Krabs?

BBS Signature
PoopyMcButt
PoopyMcButt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Animator
Response to Level icons image quality appauling Feb. 11th, 2012 @ 05:27 PM Reply

they are pixel art, not low quality.

BBS Signature
saltovergray
saltovergray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Level icons image quality appauling Feb. 11th, 2012 @ 05:28 PM Reply

It's supposed to look like pixel art. To be honest, I am not a fan in the slightest. Then again, I'm not a fan of the arcade/beat em up/annoyingly pixelated styled pixel art that inspires most of NG's administration.

Formerly known as SaltshakerClock

BBS Signature
ProtomanBlues
ProtomanBlues
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Level icons image quality appauling Feb. 11th, 2012 @ 05:30 PM Reply

It's pixel art, that's why it looks like that.

Which reminds me, y no png support newgrounds hnnnnnnnnnnng

:O

MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Level icons image quality appauling Feb. 11th, 2012 @ 05:31 PM Reply

At 4 minutes ago, TheRainbowZilla wrote: It's supposed to look retro and pixelated. Personally, I like the retro look and feel.
Fuck the level icon critics.

yeah the pixelation gives it style

I just think they are too small

BBS Signature
dogpup4
dogpup4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Gamer
Response to Level icons image quality appauling Feb. 11th, 2012 @ 05:33 PM Reply

At 1 minute ago, Rummy0 wrote: They're meant to look retro, I like them a lot. <3

I was hoping the redesign would get rid of that mood emotion you use on every fucking post.

DVD Collection and Game Collection
Steam: GallifreyanTimeDog
Really need to change this rubbish username.

BBS Signature
PsychoZoid
PsychoZoid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Artist
Response to Level icons image quality appauling Feb. 11th, 2012 @ 05:36 PM Reply

It's supposed to be pixel art...
And I wouldn't think the admins would that lazy and put a poor-quality image as a level icon, you know.

PsychoZoid/Andrew Berry: The most uninteresting man in the world
YouTube | DeviantArt | Facebook Page | Psych & Friends Webcomic

BBS Signature
TheRainbowZilla
TheRainbowZilla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Level icons image quality appauling Feb. 11th, 2012 @ 05:37 PM Reply

At 1 minute ago, dogpup4 wrote:
At 1 minute ago, Rummy0 wrote: They're meant to look retro, I like them a lot. <3
I was hoping the redesign would get rid of that mood emotion you use on every fucking post.

I agree but with the 'on every fucking post' comment, well...

Level icons image quality appauling

"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster,
and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

BBS Signature
DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Blank Slate
Response to Level icons image quality appauling Feb. 11th, 2012 @ 05:39 PM Reply

If you can make better level icons than go for it. We can always use new artists.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics
Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to Level icons image quality appauling Feb. 11th, 2012 @ 05:41 PM Reply

At 8 minutes ago, PoopyMcButt wrote: they are pixel art, not low quality.

It has only been called pixel art in this century.

Back in the day when graphics were getting exponentially better (the '90s) they would have called it low resolution raster images, or dated graphics.

iMini
iMini
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Movie Buff
Response to Level icons image quality appauling Feb. 11th, 2012 @ 05:42 PM Reply

At 28 seconds ago, DoctorStrongbad wrote: If you can make better level icons than go for it. We can always use new artists.

Ask and you shall receive.

illicit makes a damn good signature.

BBS Signature
PoopyMcButt
PoopyMcButt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Animator
Response to Level icons image quality appauling Feb. 11th, 2012 @ 05:43 PM Reply

At 1 minute ago, Painbringer wrote:
At 8 minutes ago, PoopyMcButt wrote: they are pixel art, not low quality.
It has only been called pixel art in this century.

Back in the day when graphics were getting exponentially better (the '90s) they would have called it low resolution raster images, or dated graphics.

lol we got a hipster in the house.

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Level icons image quality appauling Feb. 11th, 2012 @ 05:52 PM Reply

While we're complaining I really hate that god damn monster in a basket. I would hate to have that wretched creature as my level icon.

Bolo
Bolo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Blank Slate
Response to Level icons image quality appauling Feb. 11th, 2012 @ 06:02 PM Reply

At 8 minutes ago, sweet21 wrote: While we're complaining I really hate that god damn monster in a basket. I would hate to have that wretched creature as my level icon.

Sup.

BBS Signature
saqwert
saqwert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Level icons image quality appauling Feb. 11th, 2012 @ 06:03 PM Reply

Newgrounds is too retro and hipster to give a fuck about high quality images & what not.

Boomstick
Boomstick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Melancholy
Response to Level icons image quality appauling Feb. 11th, 2012 @ 06:04 PM Reply

I still think they're alright, sure the 07 ones are cool, but these have an 8bit arcade feel to them.

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Level icons image quality appauling Feb. 11th, 2012 @ 06:04 PM Reply

At 15 seconds ago, Bolo wrote:
At 8 minutes ago, sweet21 wrote: While we're complaining I really hate that god damn monster in a basket. I would hate to have that wretched creature as my level icon.
Sup.

Gagsy has it too, the little shit comes from here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ok7fO wdk2gc

Mumbo
Mumbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Level icons image quality appauling Feb. 11th, 2012 @ 06:22 PM Reply

At 38 minutes ago, iMini wrote:
At 28 seconds ago, DoctorStrongbad wrote: If you can make better level icons than go for it. We can always use new artists.
Ask and you shall receive.

What gay site would use THOSE level icons? We'd never stoop that low.

|XBL Gamertag: ShadowboltRD | Bronies before Hoenies| YenMuffin made my sig

BBS Signature
ZagmenO
ZagmenO
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Level icons image quality appauling Feb. 11th, 2012 @ 06:32 PM Reply

I like the old ones better too but I think you're being a little picky, talking about the lines and shit.

I laugh at your sigs!

Winrar1337
Winrar1337
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Movie Buff
Response to Level icons image quality appauling Feb. 11th, 2012 @ 06:34 PM Reply

Your spelling is appalling.

Someone had to say it.

"Censorship is telling a man that he cannot have a steak just because a baby cannot chew it." - Mark Twain

Snake-Arsenic
Snake-Arsenic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Movie Buff
Response to Level icons image quality appauling Feb. 11th, 2012 @ 06:40 PM Reply

It's pixel art, but it's good pixel art and I like these icons better than the old. Also the glow effect evens out the edges nicely.

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Level icons image quality appauling Feb. 11th, 2012 @ 06:45 PM Reply

At 1 minute ago, Snake-Arsenic wrote: It's pixel art, but it's good pixel art and I like these icons better than the old. Also the glow effect evens out the edges nicely.

Actually i think iMini might be right, the baton is getting skewed, it might be a css thing resizing that png improperly, looks like its just by a pixel but its enough to give it problems on very diagonal lines. I imagine the bug queue is substantial but it might be worth looking into. JohnnyUtah is pretty anal about his pixel art so i dont think he'd bugger the diagonals by accident

gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Level icons image quality appauling Feb. 11th, 2012 @ 06:48 PM Reply

At 21 seconds ago, Luis wrote:
At 1 minute ago, Snake-Arsenic wrote: It's pixel art, but it's good pixel art and I like these icons better than the old. Also the glow effect evens out the edges nicely.

actually i take that back. it does seem like it was designed that way. weird.

gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum

JohnnyUtah
JohnnyUtah
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 04
Artist
Response to Level icons image quality appauling Feb. 11th, 2012 @ 07:08 PM Reply

At 18 minutes ago, Luis wrote:
At 21 seconds ago, Luis wrote:
actually i take that back. it does seem like it was designed that way. weird.

YES IT WAS
OH YES
P.S. WHOEVER CAN'T SPELL "APPALLING" AND IS 13 AND HAS NO TASTE GO OUTSIDE AND HAVE YOUR BROTHER THROW HIS XBOX OUT THE SECOND STORY WINDOW OF YOUR SHITTY HOUSE SO IT LANDS ON YOUR HEAD AND
YOUR PARENTS CRY

OH YES THEY CRY

FOR A FEW DAYS THAN MAKE ANOTHER CHILD AND FORGET ABOUT YOU

SHUT UP

BBS Signature
Sindread
Sindread
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Level icons image quality appauling Feb. 11th, 2012 @ 07:11 PM Reply

I love how they downgraded the level 41 bloody axe icon to level 21.

Yeah, right.

BBS Signature