Be a Supporter!
IAmCrystalHeights
IAmCrystalHeights
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Skrillex Live Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 08:57 PM Reply

I'm a fan of Skrillex and I love some of his music, but some don't like how he plays live, and I agree it does look talentless when he performs.

This was him performing in Austin last year and he really just presses the play button on his laptop and makes some revisions with his drum machine, but not a whole lot. He takes a sip of his drink, and then jumps into a crowd of fans, and then gets back on stage, does some adjustment with the drum machine, and then takes another sip, or smoke, and jump back in.

A lot of people think he's really talentless at performing live. What do you think?

Rallard
Rallard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Skrillex Live Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 09:02 PM Reply

What do you expect from a DJ performing live on a turntable? At least he's not walking away from the stage or drinking beer while turning a few knobs, like some of the DJs I've seen.

Talentless is a harsh accusation. It takes some talent to be a DJ, but not as much as an actual musician.

Did you honestly expect him to whip out an electric guitar or start playing a keyboard?

LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Reader

Well there isn't really that much you can do when you perfom dubstep live, is there? I mean most of it is computer generated anyway.

benmitchell0036
benmitchell0036
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Gamer

It takes talent to make the music that he does, but it doesn't take talent to play it. I think the point of the concert is just to hang out listening to some music in a high energy environment.

Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Skrillex Live Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 09:09 PM Reply

I hear the food is great.

Skrillex Live

Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Skrillex Live Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 09:10 PM Reply

At 4 minutes ago, Rallard wrote: Did you honestly expect him to whip out an electric guitar or start playing a keyboard?

Yes. If your songs contain parts that are played on a keyboard, play the parts on a keyboard. Don't just press a button and let the recording play the concert for you.

Album of the Week Mclusky - Mclusky Do Dallas (2002) | Movie of the Week Genius Party (2007) Genius Party Beyond (2008)

BBS Signature
Odio
Odio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Skrillex Live Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 09:11 PM Reply

Skrillex and dubstep is awful. Get over yourself.

BBS Signature
Rallard
Rallard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Skrillex Live Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 09:35 PM Reply

At 19 minutes ago, Odio wrote: Skrillex and dubstep is awful. Get over yourself.

Please explain.

Because he likes a popular DJ who spins a popular genre of EDM, he should "get over himself?"

At least think out your insults more thoroughly before you post.

Jay
Jay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Skrillex Live Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 09:42 PM Reply

At 32 minutes ago, Rallard wrote: What do you expect from a DJ performing live on a turntable? At least he's not walking away from the stage or drinking beer while turning a few knobs, like some of the DJs I've seen.

Talentless is a harsh accusation. It takes some talent to be a DJ, but not as much as an actual musician.

Did you honestly expect him to whip out an electric guitar or start playing a keyboard?

RJD2 is a DJ that I heavily respect, because his live shows aren't just a reproduction of what are on his albums, but a different experience and way of presenting his work. He also isn't afraid to have others or even himself play instruments live along with using his turntable.

I wouldn't go to a concert, if the artist is just pushing play on a computer...

Formally known as JJgamer93

Hey there watch Jay Plays

BBS Signature
Luke
Luke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Skrillex Live Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 09:45 PM Reply

Yeah, but everyone in the audience is on shitty drugs that make them think everything is awesome... So it really doesn't matter at that point.

Yeah, whatever.

Spikrodd
Spikrodd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Skrillex Live Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 09:47 PM Reply

If an artist is gonna do something like that, then they better have a fantastic performance aspect to their show.

Just this Tuesday, I went to see Alvin Risk, Datsik and Steve Aoki in Charleston and while I'm not a huge fan of their music, I'm definitely a fan of them as people and performers. Steve gets super involved with his fans and brings a punk aspect to his shows, much like Skrillex.

Basically, if you're gonna be lazy behind the turntables, be crazy on stage.

Rallard
Rallard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Skrillex Live Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 09:53 PM Reply

At 6 minutes ago, Luke wrote: Yeah, but everyone in the audience is on shitty drugs that make them think everything is awesome... So it really doesn't matter at that point.

How can a drug be shitty if it makes you think everything is awesome?

At 4 minutes ago, Spikrodd wrote: If an artist is gonna do something like that, then they better have a fantastic performance aspect to their show.
Basically, if you're gonna be lazy behind the turntables, be crazy on stage.

Nailed it.

MoriChax
MoriChax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Skrillex Live Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 10:42 PM Reply

I saw him open for Deadmau5 2 years ago, he was absolutely terrible.

Follow my Artstigram

BBS Signature
Ihatedapatriots
Ihatedapatriots
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Programmer
Response to Skrillex Live Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 10:55 PM Reply

He's not a fraud but I prefer a lot of people over him. I could see him live.

Yert
Yert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Art Lover
Response to Skrillex Live Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 10:59 PM Reply

At 1 hour ago, EddyFromEEnE wrote: A lot of people think he's really talentless at performing live. What do you think?

he's really talentless at everything

jaws720
jaws720
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Skrillex Live Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 11:01 PM Reply

I hate thir music

Luke
Luke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Skrillex Live Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 11:06 PM Reply

At 1 hour ago, Rallard wrote:
At 6 minutes ago, Luke wrote: Yeah, but everyone in the audience is on shitty drugs that make them think everything is awesome... So it really doesn't matter at that point.
How can a drug be shitty if it makes you think everything is awesome?

Because drugs are just shitty, there's no good drugs. Ecstasy is a popular one at raves, and it's a shitty drug, the dirt cheap pills are full of meth and speed, while the good pills are full of meth, speed, cocaine, and some more meth... Of course both have a BIT of MDMA in them which is what ecstasy really was to begin with.

So yeah - I mean, if doing all that damage to your body isn't shitty, I don't know what is... The drugs are shitty, the cheap pills suck and the expensive pills suck. Ecstasy is just a shit drug, as is every other drug.

Yeah, whatever.

CorpseGrinderClock
CorpseGrinderClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Animator
Response to Skrillex Live Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 11:08 PM Reply

"Alright guys, sing along if you know this one!"

WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB WUBWUBWUB WUB

At 12/16/11 12:04 AM, Luis wrote:
: i like all the masturbation threads i know more about myself than i ever would if it wasnt for newgrounds.

BBS Signature
kiljoy96
kiljoy96
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Skrillex Live Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 11:20 PM Reply

Why would anyone even want to see him live?

SteamID: Fetus

BBS Signature