no doubt about it...

Aasha
Aasha
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates 2004-05-12 05:30:51 Reply

Nice. I do like the portal's new look. But the only complaint I have is when I try to look at my reviews it states my name where it used to state the flash title.

gfoxcook
gfoxcook
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates 2004-05-12 07:04:56 Reply

At 5/11/04 12:19 PM, Darklilangel23 wrote: just a tad slower than normal but i think thats a good thing

the slower speed will prevent as many overloads and the system crashing and also reduce spamming from people posting 50 movies or just hitting zero on movies

You might have a point on the latter, but... there's already a 2 submissions per day limit on posting movies, so... "posting 50 movies," unless you were intentionally MASSIVELY exaggerating, is mega-hyperbole. The most I've seen at once, BTW, was 10. 2 x 5 accounts worth. But you can bet all those accounts were deleted soon thereafter.

At 5/11/04 12:52 PM, -Haurashima- wrote:
At 5/11/04 12:25 PM, Flourman wrote: The new layout is crap. There are too many images.
Shut your face, if you don't like it, fuck off to some other site, they're not gonna change it just for you.
Oh, by the way, whoevers idea it was to put "free BLAM" in the whistle blowing section is a genious, and I adore you, even though I used to blow the whistle on free blams anyway...it was hard to say whether it was unsuitable or malicious..not that any of that mattered but still..."I'm lovin it."

I don't agree with Flourman on his first statement (but still, he wasn't being abusive, so he has a right to voice his opinion, don't tell him to leave the site), but the second statement is kinda true, and leads to the slowness Darklilangel was talking about. Some people seem to think that only people with slow connections are experiencing slower than normal NG-ness, but I have a cable modem, and nothing about my connection has changed in the past week. While pictures being in the process of loading doesn't prevent you from doing most things, especially if you remember where buttons that are images are and what they do... I've noticed that the ~60 pics on any given flash entry page do take at least twice as long to load on my computer as the old design's pics did.

I wish there was a bit more redundancy (using the same pics in different places on a page so they can just be loaded once and pop up everywhere they're used at once), but it's not a huge deal. I'm thinking about fiddling with my settings to see if I can get it to stop redownloading pics each time I go to a new entrypage, though.

At 5/11/04 11:32 PM, Outlaw88 wrote: the text is a bit hard to read..or is my computer settings bad?

The text is really small

No, it is smaller than the old way when viewed with normal text size in your browser. I'd tell you to raise your default font size from Normal to Larger (+1), but... then you'll just have the same misalignment issues that I and a few other people who've posted about how the new pages look with larger fonts are experiencing, so... maybe you should lower your resolution or sit closer to the computer. #;-}>

At 5/12/04 05:30 AM, Aasha wrote: Nice. I do like the portal's new look. But the only complaint I have is when I try to look at my reviews it states my name where it used to state the flash title.

Where are you accessing your reviews from? This was a problem 2 days ago, but I'm pretty sure it's already fixed from all angles. I just went into your profile, clicked your reviews link, and the flash titles are all displaying above your reviews, so...

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // 2x10k PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Bahamut's List!
a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature
gfoxcook
gfoxcook
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates 2004-05-12 07:06:33 Reply

At 5/11/04 04:28 PM, mac5 wrote: I can't find any problems in the real portal, but I did have a dream last night...

(snip)

When I woke up, I checked my email, and I think you know what I found: "Your portal submission "3D Tank Driver" has been removed."

I just thought everyone might like to hear my dream. That's all. No real errors, or problems.

heh! I've seen two versions of your 3d tank driver game, and while the second one was an improvement... I've had a vision on how it'll get protected... IN THE FUTURE:

add an enemy tank, dagnabit. #;-}>

At 5/11/04 03:44 PM, Dinotron1 wrote: Just Curious

Who Da fuck is "gfoxcook"

and why he answerin for Liljim and Stamp, like he some private owner of NG?

I'm not "answerin for Liljim and Stamp" and no, I'm not a "private owner" of NG. What the hell does that mean, anyway?

As others went on to inform you, I'm a mod, a longtime NG user, and I happen to be generally helpful. Maybe not as much as Newgrundling (another mod who's been gone for half a year now due to a horrible, horrible disease (online-link-game-itis), but I do what I can, as do many of the people on the Where is/How to? forum I call my home here on NG BBS.

At 5/11/04 06:10 PM, NormTheGreat wrote:
At 5/11/04 05:57 PM, -Haurashima- wrote: Just curious...
Who the fuck is you?
Some of us (like gfoxcook) have been on Newgrounds longer than you...and so, we know the general goings on..hell, maybe gfox even talks to Will..or Jim..

I have had my account a bit longer than Dinotron, Haurashima, but not much longer (February 2000 versus September 2000... 4-digit ID versus 5-digit ID)... so fortunately you were partly right there, but you also implied you've been here longer than him, and your 500,000+ ID suggests otherwise. My point is that that's never good ammunition to pull out (who's been on the site longer, or has more points, or whatever... that has little to do with the BBS). I do thank you for trying to "defend" me from any perceived slight, but it wasn't necessary.

I'm fairly confident, as well, that Dinotron didn't mean much of anything with the tone of his text, but... eh... it rubbed me the wrong way, too, so I understand.

I've been talking to liljim for the past year via e-mail, yes, and coincidentally enough, Stamper e-mailed me for the first time today (about this topic, actually), so... BINGO, you called that one, at least. #;-}>

Hes also a mod on the BBS.

Guilty as charged.

At 5/11/04 06:49 PM, Flameo-Ninja wrote: GReat idea lets swear at ppl with low points and tell them there n00bs and since you didn't tell them chances are they would've spammed "who is gfoxcook" but some1 answered it so its ok

I'm pretty sure the main reason he was flaming Dinotron is that he took Dinotron's "who da fuck does gfoxcook think he is?" type attitude in a negative way, and he just used the low points/presumed newbieness as ammo, as I said, but you're right, let's cut the anti-noob vibe in the ass.

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // 2x10k PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Bahamut's List!
a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature
Preymantis
Preymantis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates 2004-05-12 07:48:45 Reply

The Review Read Pages Suck Make Them Bigger So You Don't Have To Scroll Accross

cuber3
cuber3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates 2004-05-12 13:53:06 Reply

wauw dude, the new portal look is so cool!!:p

NightCobra
NightCobra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates 2004-05-12 13:57:23 Reply

Its all really good and very cool looking, but the only problem is that the site is slower then ever...

HTML I may use: bold italic underline

BBS Signature
Amish
Amish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates 2004-05-12 14:21:41 Reply

Well try and update the after vote thing were it tells you what the score its. Its like 2 versions old.

daniel-k
daniel-k
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates 2004-05-12 14:23:52 Reply

good, cause now it looks a lot better, and the sounds are kool when you click on the buttons

Portal Updates

RyuuYuushi
RyuuYuushi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates 2004-05-12 14:27:36 Reply

At 5/10/04 09:29 PM, liljim wrote: If you're seeing the new layout in the portal for the view pages and the review read pages, then it's because they've just been updated! If you spot any bugs, please write them up here so that we can address them.

Thanks to Stamper for all his work on this!

OMG, dis' is the one of the nicest flash sites I've seen, u did a great job, keep on improving!

-NeoMtx

McPaper
McPaper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Programmer
Response to Portal Updates 2004-05-12 15:46:05 Reply

At 5/10/04 09:29 PM, liljim wrote: If you're seeing the new layout in the portal for the view pages and the review read pages, then it's because they've just been updated! If you spot any bugs, please write them up here so that we can address them.

yeah they seem great!

BBS Signature
Haravikk
Haravikk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates 2004-05-12 18:30:53 Reply

The new design is awesome!

The one bug that I notice is that when actually viewing a movie itself, the little 'bar' at the bottom seems to be a little bit lower and a little bit more to the left than it should be, in Safari (Mac OS X) that is. The rest looks perfect!

Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:

BBS Signature
wing462
wing462
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates 2004-05-12 20:09:22 Reply

bout time.........

Portal Updates

gooffy123
gooffy123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates 2004-05-12 20:41:04 Reply

At 5/10/04 09:31 PM, Sentinel_specter wrote: Looks awesome. I would really like to see the BBS and the Main Portal View page in the new view but it's good the site is coming to gether in the new form finally. Nice work!

Yea. They should update each page. I think that they should just do 1 everyother day. Because when u do it it slows down the server. So we can't acsess some things that well.

MegaGold
MegaGold
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates 2004-05-12 21:32:20 Reply

Wow, they really look good. I can not believe how long the old one was on, but I still perfer the new one!

Portal Updates

Members of:
The UFC Club
AVGN Club

BBS Signature
hidnrainbo
hidnrainbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates 2004-05-13 00:31:29 Reply

At 5/10/04 10:51 PM, hidnrainbo wrote:
At 5/10/04 09:51 PM, liljim wrote:
Where are you seeing this scrolling? How do you get to the reviews where you're seeing this? I thought I'd addressed all of that already...
When I click to view my reviews from the Grounds Gold menu it is way too small. It looks ok when I click it from a profile or portal entry. But as others have said, it doesn't show the name of the movie when I click to read reviews from a user profile or the GG menu.

I'm using IE6 and WinXP Pro.

It is fixed in the GG menu, but I just noticed it is still a problem when I write a review. When you review a movie and click submit, the window doesn't resize.

Also, when you review a movie that is still under judgment, your review appears in the old format.

aznaifolyfe
aznaifolyfe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates 2004-05-13 02:46:55 Reply

awesome new look, but are u ever gonna change the ads to something less adult?

Hippy-Flip
Hippy-Flip
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates 2004-05-13 03:01:47 Reply

As long as i've been coming to NewGrounds i've always seen the same ads.

I guess they are pretty successful if they have been there as long as they have.

Mcsproot
Mcsproot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates 2004-05-13 06:23:24 Reply

Sometimes when I open a pop up window in the portal (watch movie, asdd to favuorites etc.) sometimes the page locks up and I have to use CTRL+ALT+Delete menu to close it. Anyone else notice this? Or is it just my computer?

Zeerow
Zeerow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates 2004-05-13 19:14:52 Reply

maybe just you computer. It never happend to mine and my computer is a peice of shit.

DerangedElectro
DerangedElectro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates 2004-05-13 21:19:00 Reply

i sorta miss the previous portal layout. *sigh* sooo many memories-lol! I'll probably get used to the new layout eventually.

There's one thing i've noticed when someone clicks on a user's review(s) from his/her profile compared to before; a new page opens up. I hope that there’s an option somewhere in my Portal Preferences on the Grounds Gold menu, which can change this annoyance somehow.

hidnrainbo
hidnrainbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates 2004-05-13 22:15:01 Reply

1,953 views and still under judgement?? I've never seen that before. I don't know if this is a bug or just another fluke.

The movie is gone now. I got the final blam. But I thought you might want to check if this was your code or just a random fluke.

Portal Updates

DudeWithAHat
DudeWithAHat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates 2004-05-20 22:38:42 Reply

sucks. just plain sucks. the windows are/seem smaller, nothings in a good place... the old layout is better... maybe because i'm used to it.

(sorry, creator of the layout, but... it sucks.)

gooffy123
gooffy123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates 2004-05-27 13:47:14 Reply

looks good sure will report them.