Respond to this Topic
gltovar
gltovar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Game Developer
Response to Portal Updates May. 10th, 2004 @ 10:36 PM Reply

At 5/10/04 09:29 PM, liljim wrote: If you're seeing the new layout in the portal for the view pages and the review read pages, then it's because they've just been updated! If you spot any bugs, please write them up here so that we can address them.

Thanks to Stamper for all his work on this!

I remember a year or two back that Tom wanted to have, lets say, the first 5 titles of a review on the Flash View Page... way wasn't that done? its better than seeing 1 review... because if its a 0 with "this sux, fuck off" people might just blam it for that review.

-Louis

Rabid-Echidna
Rabid-Echidna
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Portal Updates May. 10th, 2004 @ 10:37 PM Reply

At 5/10/04 10:32 PM, gfoxcook wrote:
continues to hope that profiles remain the same, or have an option to remain oldskool in our GG menus, at least... but remains realistic and expects them to change horribly soon... ;_;:::

There should be a button that you can check. Something like

* NG Atomix
* Year old NG
* Slightly older NG
* Newest design

Check whichever you want and have it stay that way for the rest of the time you spend on NG until you decide to switch. That would probably cost a lot of site storage though, since it would have to keep all the previous designs as well as the new ones.

My art gallery, because I'm better than you at things.

BBS Signature
Mek1985
Mek1985
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates May. 10th, 2004 @ 10:38 PM Reply

At 5/10/04 10:36 PM, deadlock32 wrote: I remember a year or two back that Tom wanted to have, lets say, the first 5 titles of a review on the Flash View Page... way wasn't that done? its better than seeing 1 review... because if its a 0 with "this sux, fuck off" people might just blam it for that review.

-Louis

That's true, at least show 3 reviews.

IrMyke
IrMyke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates May. 10th, 2004 @ 10:39 PM Reply

Well i was going to check the review i wrote because i was bored and i noticed it dosent tell you (or i didnt notice if it did) what movie you reviewed it on ... anyways i think thats a bug and a half maybe put that in there

Myke

gfoxcook
gfoxcook
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates May. 10th, 2004 @ 10:42 PM Reply

At 5/10/04 10:37 PM, Rabid-Echidna wrote:
At 5/10/04 10:32 PM, gfoxcook wrote:
continues to hope that profiles remain the same, or have an option to remain oldskool in our GG menus, at least... but remains realistic and expects them to change horribly soon... ;_;:::
There should be a button that you can check. Something like

* NG Atomix
* Year old NG
* Slightly older NG
* Newest design

Check whichever you want and have it stay that way for the rest of the time you spend on NG until you decide to switch. That would probably cost a lot of site storage though, since it would have to keep all the previous designs as well as the new ones.

That would be great, but I take it you mean it would cover the entire look of the... entire site?

While interesting, cool, and quite groovy, that would probably be way too difficult for liljim to implement, or at least not important enough to spend so much time on.

I'm talking just a little toggle switch in the gg menu for profiles and profiles alone. I'd like to see profiles remain the same no matter what happens to every other page on the site.

But if they change, I'll just continue to fabricate my profile screenshots... using old saved html files. Ah well.

and regarding my earlier post: here's what RAB8's rating text looks like on my default +1 font size, BTW:

Portal Updates

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // 2x10k PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Bahamut's List!
a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature
scratchandsniff
scratchandsniff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates May. 10th, 2004 @ 10:46 PM Reply

im too stoned for this bit its still good now im gettin hungry

hellsatanbart
hellsatanbart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates May. 10th, 2004 @ 10:49 PM Reply

I think that this has been stated, but if not...

I love the new layout. I really do. I just find I teeny little problem...

I love to watch old movies, but since they don't stay on the front page forever, I use my reviews to take me to the movie. But since the new layout, I can't get to my favorite movies. Also, now that the reviews have no title to them, I don't know what movie that I was reviewing before. And I know that some people are going to tell me to put them all in my favorite flashes, but I don't need to do that to a movie I might see once a month.

hidnrainbo
hidnrainbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates May. 10th, 2004 @ 10:51 PM Reply

At 5/10/04 09:51 PM, liljim wrote:
Where are you seeing this scrolling? How do you get to the reviews where you're seeing this? I thought I'd addressed all of that already...

When I click to view my reviews from the Grounds Gold menu it is way too small. It looks ok when I click it from a profile or portal entry. But as others have said, it doesn't show the name of the movie when I click to read reviews from a user profile or the GG menu.

I'm using IE6 and WinXP Pro.

Rabid-Echidna
Rabid-Echidna
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Portal Updates May. 10th, 2004 @ 10:52 PM Reply

At 5/10/04 10:42 PM, gfoxcook wrote:
That would be great, but I take it you mean it would cover the entire look of the... entire site?

No, just a small option on the side that could let the user choose from the several designs that have been implemented on the site. You could have it off to the side somewhere in each page, then it could log the decision in your profile so it stays that way each time you visit until you decide to change it.

While interesting, cool, and quite groovy, that would probably be way too difficult for liljim to implement, or at least not important enough to spend so much time on.

I'm not suggesting it be tried anytime soon. Liljim is busy enough with other things at the moment, and if he has too much work to even fix the text search, I don't suggest stsarting on anything big too soon.

I'm talking just a little toggle switch in the gg menu for profiles and profiles alone. I'd like to see profiles remain the same no matter what happens to every other page on the site.

That's more what I was thinking. Have a seperate choice on each page.

But if they change, I'll just continue to fabricate my profile screenshots... using old saved html files. Ah well.

You save the HTML files? K.

and regarding my earlier post: here's what RAB8's rating text looks like on my default +1 font size, BTW:

Yikes.

BBS Signature
WavyGravy
WavyGravy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Audiophile
Response to Portal Updates May. 10th, 2004 @ 10:52 PM Reply

I like how they emphasize, "Crap" on the 0 voting panel. haha, nicely done stamper.

NG Review Moderator // Report Today!

BBS Signature
Soul-Blade
Soul-Blade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates May. 10th, 2004 @ 10:53 PM Reply

Stamper, I love what you did to the portal.

hellsatanbart
hellsatanbart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates May. 10th, 2004 @ 10:54 PM Reply

And now I just realized how completly dumb I am! Nevermind my little rant before. I just saw the movie titles now in my reviews. I must get my stupidity out of my head. Maybe that solid concrete wall will work.

The only thing I say now is that the layout is great. Just make the titles for the reviews a little bigger.

Rabid-Echidna
Rabid-Echidna
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Portal Updates May. 10th, 2004 @ 10:56 PM Reply

At 5/10/04 10:54 PM, Gohansballpower wrote:
And now I just realized how completly dumb I am! Nevermind my little rant before. I just saw the movie titles now in my reviews. I must get my stupidity out of my head. Maybe that solid concrete wall will work.

It wasn't stupidity. It was like that before, and it only just got updated thanks to you.

BBS Signature
MPA
MPA
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates May. 10th, 2004 @ 10:57 PM Reply

I just got back and am loving the updated pages/interface. A very nice surprise for me to come home to, even better since today (in one hour) i'm leveling up to lvl12. Good stuff stamper and all. =]

SilentEye
SilentEye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates May. 10th, 2004 @ 10:58 PM Reply

At 5/10/04 09:29 PM, liljim wrote: If you're seeing the new layout in the portal for the view pages and the review read pages, then it's because they've just been updated! If you spot any bugs, please write them up here so that we can address them.

It looks good, but its way to cluttery. Almost wants to give me a seizure...too many things all over the place.

YoinK
YoinK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Game Developer
Response to Portal Updates May. 10th, 2004 @ 10:58 PM Reply

The stamperization looks good on the portal pages... now just stamparize everything else and that would be really cool. :)

Kanye West Did What??????
They should make a black guy the manager, they know how to run shit!
2 Girls 1 Cup .... THE SONG!!!!

life
life
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates May. 10th, 2004 @ 10:59 PM Reply

i like the crap on 0 rating,, i think it all looks very crowded though, a few font probs, overall gret job

I'm your average Afro-American fetus. For example: I enjoy basketball, I'm rather good when I play too, but I'm much too busy scratching my horrific cracked skin these days.

BBS Signature
SeizureDog
SeizureDog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates May. 10th, 2004 @ 10:59 PM Reply

At 5/10/04 10:36 PM, deadlock32 wrote:
I remember a year or two back that Tom wanted to have, lets say, the first 5 titles of a review on the Flash View Page... way wasn't that done? its better than seeing 1 review... because if its a 0 with "this sux, fuck off" people might just blam it for that review.

Yeah, I remember seeing that post as well, and thinking it was one kick ass idea. At the very least the total review score should be should on the main movie page WITHOUT having to click the view all reviews button.

CaptMorgan
CaptMorgan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates May. 10th, 2004 @ 11:03 PM Reply

Great work guys the site just keeps gettin better

gfoxcook
gfoxcook
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates May. 10th, 2004 @ 11:09 PM Reply

At 5/10/04 10:52 PM, Rabid-Echidna wrote: No, just a small option on the side that could let the user choose from the several designs that have been implemented on the site. You could have it off to the side somewhere in each page, then it could log the decision in your profile so it stays that way each time you visit until you decide to change it.

I suppose, but that would clutter up certain areas of the site if there was something on each page of NG. It'd be a lot easier if any "theme options" were all in the GG menu, IMO... one for the BBS, one for the portal, one for profiles, etc. etc.

I'm not suggesting it be tried anytime soon. Liljim is busy enough with other things at the moment, and if he has too much work to even fix the text search, I don't suggest stsarting on anything big too soon.

Hate to tell you this, but it probably isn't getting "fixed" exactly, it's just too costly to the database server.

You save the HTML files? K.

Not every day or anything. When I hit a save or blam mark I want to screenshot (like 10,000, or something), I view the source of the profile, add a few "http://www.newgrounds.com"s to the IMG SRC tags that need the addition to properly load gifs (profile pic, level icon, b/p rank badge, whistle pic), add my Voting Power in place of the sticker line... and viola:

Portal Updates

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // 2x10k PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Bahamut's List!

BBS Signature
nazibomb
nazibomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates May. 10th, 2004 @ 11:14 PM Reply

the only thing i don't like is the actual movie window.

i mean, with the ad and all... :/

BBS Signature
MappyTheKlown
MappyTheKlown
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates May. 10th, 2004 @ 11:16 PM Reply

HOW BOUT WE QUIT BEATING AROUND THE BUSH AND JUST UPDATE THE WHOLE FUCKING SITE? IM SICK AND TIRED OF SEEING A DIFFERENT LAYOUT EACH TIME I CLICK SOMETHING.

<deleted>
Response to Portal Updates May. 10th, 2004 @ 11:21 PM Reply

At 5/10/04 11:16 PM, MappyTheKlown wrote:

HOW BOUT WE QUIT BEATING AROUND THE BUSH AND JUST UPDATE THE WHOLE FUCKING SITE? IM SICK AND TIRED OF SEEING A DIFFERENT LAYOUT EACH TIME I CLICK SOMETHING.

STFU n00b! The new layout looks awesome!

Fiend-Lore
Fiend-Lore
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate

excellent work. I noticed it, and I was a bit confused, then got used to it right away. Again, well done

Indubidibly

BBS Signature
Eques-Ardor
Eques-Ardor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate

NICE! The problems I've seen have already been said, mainly the one where there is too much text in the "Movie Rating" (Ao, E, T) box.
But nice work! ...and I don't know if you can tell me, but will Dan Paladin's Trophy-case idea be implemented into our Grounds Gold Profiles when they get the remodeling done to them? 'cause having a little trophy case in there would be awesome...

BBS Signature
TheShrike
TheShrike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Gamer
Response to Portal Updates May. 10th, 2004 @ 11:28 PM Reply

At 5/10/04 09:29 PM, liljim wrote: Thanks to Stamper for all his work on this!

It looks very slick. I like it, especially the review pages.

Crowded pages like this look bad in Safari for OS X. Considering they look fine in Camino and Mozilla on X, though means that's probably just another Safari Glitch. Besides, only crowded pages get that, so it's not really that big of a deal.

(http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/164193)

That's one bug in one browser, but all in all, it's a great layout. GO STAMPER!

Portal Updates

"A witty quote proves nothing."
~Voltaire

BBS Signature
Stamper
Stamper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Melancholy
Response to Portal Updates May. 10th, 2004 @ 11:34 PM Reply

At 5/10/04 11:16 PM, MappyTheKlown wrote:

HOW ABOUT YOU SUCK MY FUCKING COCK AND DO IT YOURSELF, YOU WORTHLESS PIECE OF SHIT FROM A GAY FAGGOT'S ASS.

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.

SINCERELY,
WILLIAM ANDREW STAMPER

YO MAMA GOT SAGGY TITTIES LMAO

BBS Signature
gfoxcook
gfoxcook
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates May. 10th, 2004 @ 11:35 PM Reply

At 5/10/04 11:28 PM, TheDeath wrote:
At 5/10/04 09:29 PM, liljim wrote: Thanks to Stamper for all his work on this!
It looks very slick. I like it, especially the review pages.

Yeah, especially the responses from authors. Nice and spiffy compared to the a-bit-too-simple old method of displaying them.

I did notice, though, after my last post... that you can no longer shift-click (to open in a new window) your reviews from your profile. Now it's a javascript pop-up that thus errors if you do that... I always like to look at my reviews in a full-sized window, so... I'll just have to make a shortcut to the URL or else use the open in a new frame method I already told someone else to use, but it was always nice to have that method from our profiles... and now... it is gone.

And thus, the radical profile changes... BEGIN. (sob)

BBS Signature
WastedRat
WastedRat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates May. 10th, 2004 @ 11:45 PM Reply

its nice, but its seems to be slower to load the page but way faster when entering the score so heh..

>You lost your way, now you find, you gave up your life. you surrender your mind, you arent who you wanted to be. your just a reflection of SOCIETY

iscrulz
iscrulz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Movie Buff
Response to Portal Updates May. 10th, 2004 @ 11:45 PM Reply

At 5/10/04 09:29 PM, liljim wrote:

yesh thank you Stamper you did a great job I loved the new layouts but the authors response is tab over too far those arrows are nice but in the little window it get annoying. But I like the new whislte feature saying free BLAM I will use that more often.

£5 man slut for hire. Inquire within

Wi/Ht? #45

BBS Signature