New Topic Respond to this Topic
Laughingbox
Laughingbox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
A trick for dreaming? Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 11:07 PM Reply

Generally I'm a pretty weak dreamer. Sometimes I'll remember parts of a dream, but often I wake up remembering nothing. Now, I know that some of you can lucid dream like a pro, but I can't. Three nights ago, though, I tried something a little different. Given my affinity for writing, I decided to draft a short story for the heck of it at 11 PM, going to bed right afterwards. I woke up remembering a chunk of my dream. It was pretty surprising. This isn't a coincidence either. I tried it the last two nights with greater success.

I'm trying to get at this: For me, writing a rough short story before bed greatly improves dream recall. I'm guessing that any kind of mellow artistic activity will do the trick. This is something I found out on my own though; I'm curious whether or not this will work with other people. Dreaming is pretty cool too, with the unlimited possibilities of lucid dreaming and all. I urge you all to try this if your dream recall skills are sub-par.

And on that note, I recommend getting a voice recorder so you can dictate your dreams into it every morning. I've found it more effective and less of a hassle to use than the common written dream journal.

Veritas est index sui et falsi. (Truth is the criterion of itself and the false.)
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero. (Sieze the day; trust little in tomorrow.)

Rallard
Rallard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to A trick for dreaming? Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 11:10 PM Reply

Actually a pretty good idea, but I'd need to get the sleeping and dreaming part down first. Haven't had a good night's sleep or a dream in a while.

ZagmenO
ZagmenO
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to A trick for dreaming? Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 11:30 PM Reply

Does anyone know if eating a sandwich with a bunch of weird ingredients right before going to sleep causes you to have bizarre dreams? Or is that just a myth? I'd try it, but I don't want to vomit.

I laugh at your sigs!

benmitchell0036
benmitchell0036
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Gamer
Response to A trick for dreaming? Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 11:32 PM Reply

At 57 seconds ago, ZagmenO wrote: Does anyone know if eating a sandwich with a bunch of weird ingredients right before going to sleep causes you to have bizarre dreams? Or is that just a myth? I'd try it, but I don't want to vomit.

Apparently apples help, and peanut butter (I don't think at the same time).

Raab
Raab
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Movie Buff
Response to A trick for dreaming? Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 11:39 PM Reply

go to bed with a huge boner.... and dream about sex.

BBS Signature
NOTunowned
NOTunowned
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to A trick for dreaming? Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 11:40 PM Reply

take some melatonin around bed time and try not to sleep but lay there

Sword-of-Kings
Sword-of-Kings
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to A trick for dreaming? Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 12:50 AM Reply

At 1 hour ago, RobJohnson wrote: go to bed with a huge boner.... and dream about sex.

Oh god... You had a wet dream.

argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to A trick for dreaming? Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 12:54 AM Reply

At A few seconds ago, ZeldaFan64DS wrote:
At 1 hour ago, RobJohnson wrote: go to bed with a huge boner.... and dream about sex.

with a approach it's possible interact within a dream ... but it has be pretty specific in order to figure out meaning.

TheGrim
TheGrim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to A trick for dreaming? Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 01:02 AM Reply

At 10 minutes ago, ZeldaFan64DS wrote:

Wet dream? More like a RIVER DREAM!

BBS Signature
Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to A trick for dreaming? Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 01:35 AM Reply

At 1 hour ago, benmitchell0036 wrote: Apparently apples help, and peanut butter (I don't think at the same time).

I read in a Peanuts book that eating an apple which is smeared with peanut butter, and drinking milk right before bed helps you go to sleep better. I don't know if this is true, I didn't try it.

Although I do know something that works...take a bath with hot, or at least warm, water right before going to sleep. It'll help your muscles relax and you'll fall asleep in no time.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp
"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature
NuclearInfected
NuclearInfected
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Audiophile
Response to A trick for dreaming? Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 01:50 AM Reply

Put on some music while you sleep. One time In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida was playing and it made me have a dream that there was a hippie music festival planned to be in my back yard (which I was strongly opposed to), but it had to be canceled because of a snowstorm.

BBS Signature
MoriChax
MoriChax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to A trick for dreaming? Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 01:59 AM Reply

A friend of mine has been taking stuff he calls a dream cocktail, which has Melatonin, Gingko biloba, valerian root, and b-6. He says he's had the most vivid and craziest dreams since he's started.

There's so much control over your dreaming you can start making your own world.
I'm tempted to try it myself but I love not being able to control my dreams at all.

Follow my Artstigram

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to A trick for dreaming? Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 02:15 AM Reply

At 3 hours ago, Rallard wrote: Actually a pretty good idea, but I'd need to get the sleeping and dreaming part down first. Haven't had a good night's sleep or a dream in a while.

That's cool. I've also heard it helps to keep a "dream journal" and write as much as you can remember about your dreams as soon as you wake up. It's supposed to gradually increase the amount you can recall.

I have the opposite problem. I remember too much and too many of my dreams and it sucks. Especially when dream emotions seep over into irl or i'm more irritable around a certain person because they betrayed me in a dream when I know they never would irl.

The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to A trick for dreaming? Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 02:16 AM Reply

I had the wildest dreams while on lamotragine, and this is a pretty common side-effect. They were very vivid also.

The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
dlxrevolution
dlxrevolution
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to A trick for dreaming? Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 02:40 AM Reply

I fantasize about girls at my school

To have a "good" dream.

Sig made by DLX

BBS Signature
Eddmario
Eddmario
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to A trick for dreaming? Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 02:44 AM Reply

Meh, I just use a quilt, comforter, and a memory foam pillow. I sleep on my side or my stomach, and I start to imagine what I want to dream happening right as I close my eyes. Works almost every time, although I sometimes skip some things.

Twitter | Deviant Art | Steam | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7832-9212 | Gamertag: Eddmario
Official MLP: FIM crew. | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature
Kwing
Kwing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Game Developer
Response to A trick for dreaming? Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 03:19 AM Reply

Dreams begin as ideas, really, so it's natural that a creative activity would help spur on a dream the next time you sleep. Another good way to dream is just to lie in bed, half asleep, and come up with a 'what if' and develop it. Usually you can start into a lucid dream that way. The biggest problem with remembering dreams is that most of the dreams you have are in the morning, right before you wake up. But generally you remember your dreams more if you consciously tell yourself you want to remember. It helps your brain prioritize that information as important.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.
Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

DannyDaNinja
DannyDaNinja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Game Developer
Response to A trick for dreaming? Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 03:38 AM Reply

At 55 minutes ago, dlxrevolution wrote: I fantasize about girls at my school

To have a "good" dream.

I never think about anything sexual with female students at my school...
Female teachers however, well, that's an entirely different story ;)

Trying to post in topics that have no replies. Trust me it's a horrible feeling when nobody replies to your topic :{

Lunaful
Lunaful
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Melancholy
Response to A trick for dreaming? Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 04:17 AM Reply

Thats great and all but..... I you to be my architect.

A trick for dreaming?

Lunaful Is Awkwardly Honest. MSPA Crew

BBS Signature
GrandDaddyPurp
GrandDaddyPurp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Programmer
Response to A trick for dreaming? Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 04:20 AM Reply

Elusive dreaming can be difficult. You usually have to be in deep focus right before you go to sleep, but it gives you some control over your dreams.

life
life
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Blank Slate
Response to A trick for dreaming? Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 04:50 AM Reply

The easiest way to lucid dream is to constantly check your hand all day. Like, every 5-10 minutes take a deep hard look at your hands, counting fingers and flipping them around. The trick is if you do this all day causing you to also do it in your dreams. In dreams your hands will never look correct, they will always look deformed or have extra limbs or weird textures.

It's a common "reality check" that works for almost everybody.

I'm your average Afro-American fetus. For example: I enjoy basketball, I'm rather good when I play too, but I'm much too busy scratching my horrific cracked skin these days.

BBS Signature
Rabid-Echidna
Rabid-Echidna
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to A trick for dreaming? Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 04:57 AM Reply

Take six or seven Alteril and give yourself psychotic nightmares!

My art gallery, because I'm better than you at things.

BBS Signature
MaartenC
MaartenC
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Audiophile
Response to A trick for dreaming? Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 04:58 AM Reply

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how inception came to exist.