New Topic Respond to this Topic
incertia
incertia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Game Developer
C++ Graphics Framework Feb. 7th, 2012 @ 11:27 PM Reply

So it's been quite some time since I last posted, and I just registered a new account. Some of you guys may know me by my other name, sepiantum. Anyways, back on topic. Over the last few months, I've been writing a graphics framework and I've used my AP Procrastination skills on it. Nevertheless, I've managed to put together a project page and upload my code so far over here. If you guys have any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Apart from that, I'm debating on starting a YouTube series for programming with D3D11 and C++ because there really aren't any D3D11 tutorials out there. Or I could just do a C++ series or graphics design series in general. It doesn't matter. What do you guys think?

Crazy-Pigeon
Crazy-Pigeon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Programmer
Response to C++ Graphics Framework Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 07:33 AM Reply

At 8 hours ago, incertia wrote: Apart from that, I'm debating on starting a YouTube series for programming with D3D11 and C++ because there really aren't any D3D11 tutorials out there. Or I could just do a C++ series or graphics design series in general. It doesn't matter. What do you guys think?

I would love to see a C++ series on YouTube. Have always had this deep interest for the language, but never bothered to learn some basics and beyond..

Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to C++ Graphics Framework Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 12:42 PM Reply

At 5 hours ago, Crazy-Pigeon wrote:
At 8 hours ago, incertia wrote: Apart from that, I'm debating on starting a YouTube series for programming with D3D11 and C++ because there really aren't any D3D11 tutorials out there. Or I could just do a C++ series or graphics design series in general. It doesn't matter. What do you guys think?
I would love to see a C++ series on YouTube. Have always had this deep interest for the language, but never bothered to learn some basics and beyond..

This is a great resource on C++. Takes a few weeks, but will improve your programming skills in any higher language.

incertia
incertia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Game Developer
Response to C++ Graphics Framework Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 07:24 AM Reply

At 23 hours ago, Crazy-Pigeon wrote:

There are actually quite a few C++ series on YouTube, it's just that they aren't that great or they don't do any graphics tutorials, which is what I plan on starting.

Piggeey
Piggeey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to C++ Graphics Framework Feb. 13th, 2012 @ 05:21 PM Reply

On Youtube, there's a few. There's SFML.

polym
polym
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to C++ Graphics Framework Feb. 13th, 2012 @ 05:29 PM Reply

At 4 days ago, incertia wrote:

I'm a C# and XNA programmer. That means I have experience in directX, but not much in directX with C++. Although I have done C++ programming for quite a long time. I dabbled in the windows API but I dropped it because I always thought that it was a waste of time doing everything manually. In fact the only 'game' I've ever made with C++ was in SDL and OpenGL. I've attempted to do a directX game in C++, but as per usual, I just stuck to XNA since most of the technical code is hidden from you.

BBS Signature
Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to C++ Graphics Framework Feb. 13th, 2012 @ 07:15 PM Reply

At 1 hour ago, polym wrote:
At 4 days ago, incertia wrote:
I'm a C# and XNA programmer. That means I have experience in directX, but not much in directX with C++. Although I have done C++ programming for quite a long time. I dabbled in the windows API but I dropped it because I always thought that it was a waste of time doing everything manually. In fact the only 'game' I've ever made with C++ was in SDL and OpenGL. I've attempted to do a directX game in C++, but as per usual, I just stuck to XNA since most of the technical code is hidden from you.

Well, XNA is very much non-cross platform and every player needs to install up to 5 frameworks to play your game (it doesn't help that he already has those installed, it will install them anyway). The only other advantage C++ has is pointers, which I sometimes miss in Mono.
I'd say go for XNA or a premade engine. C++ is no fun and there's barely any gain in performance from a JIT.