Jojo55
Jojo55
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Programmer
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 7th, 2012 @ 11:53 PM Reply

Oh wait did we get 150,000 fans?

also i like this, i can upload code from any language now for backup...and pretty much anything that can go into a txt file!

Redesign 2012 Complete!

"Weight 4.5 inches?" — yetanotherjohn. "Oh whoops I thought that was the field for penis length... And uh Luis filled that one out." — TomFulp.

BBS Signature
POTaTOS
POTaTOS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 12:00 AM Reply

I hate the level icons and I will not stop complaining until they are fixed.

[PSN/Steam- Airbourne238]

BBS Signature
FrostDrive
FrostDrive
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Animator
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 12:01 AM Reply

You guys added everything I wanted and suggested. I love you all.

Chumbawamba
Chumbawamba
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Audiophile
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 12:01 AM Reply

The new design is absolutely fantastic. To use a common word of appraisal, the layout is intuitive, particularly for someone who may be new to Newgrounds--content submission for each media is located under their menus.

I also really like the fact that the wall art is made by users within the community rather than by staff. One thing a site I used to frequent did was make new wall art based around whatever popular show they picked up recently. I think it'd be great if you switched it frequently with different artists from the Art/Game/Movie Portals. It's a great means of promotion.

BBS Signature
IvanTuroc
IvanTuroc
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Musician
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 12:03 AM Reply

I keep getting "connection reset" errors on most all the pages except classic portal???

old people say lol; and we still use these }{

BBS Signature
Luke
Luke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 12:03 AM Reply

At 15 minutes ago, SCTE3 wrote: - Can't deposit points at the moment it seems

Hey, just for the record - Your points are still deposited, it just isn't informing you that they were deposited upon your five votes.
I tweeted about it to the Newgrounds page and one of them got back to me almost immediately, to quote them:

"People are getting the EXP but it doesn't give a notification right now. We will work on that."

:)

Yeah, whatever.
PSN ID: REDSiN66

juansolous
juansolous
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Gamer
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 12:05 AM Reply

My brain is just trying to deal with the learning curve but happy with the redsign.

I love hunting for Blam points!!!

BBS Signature
Alter-native
Alter-native
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 12:06 AM Reply

When I first saw the redesign, I rolled my mouse over to the clock to see if it was April Fools day... And it wasn't April Fool's Day. Personally, I just like the site the way it was and it was perfect the way it was. Hell it was perfect even way back before 2006 with the black background and the voting panel that was locked before the movies loaded. I don't mind the redesign too much, I mean, if an even more flashier site is what the kids want these days then I guess more power too them.

I see that the exp. system has been streamlined to the point of there no longer any limits to experience points given per day. I do not understand what Tom is trying to do with this, as I thought the limit was put there to keep people from reaching "god status" too quickly and reward them with patience, only offering them privileges like secrets and more voting power when they have earned their keep as loyal NG veterans.

I felt that the site was a little more easier to navigate before this update. Now, I find it harder to find all the classics because now I have to navigate through all these different pages to find them. For instance, I get nostalgic for old games like the brawler Shinobu, Power Fox, and the sword fighting maze epic, Ronin Spirit of the Sword. Let's say I forgot the name of one them, in this case, Ronin. I can no longer go to the classic adventure page which had them all neatly piled up, in alphabetical order, with a little picture, and a neat little description. Now, I have to navigate 33 pages of mostly just pictures that only say the title when I roll the mouse over them.

Then there are little things, like how there used to be a little drop down menu thing to the left siderbar of a movie that I could click to check out other movies by the same author, instantly. I don't see that anymore.

Then, there's the fact that the Bastards!, Newgrounds parodies, and Spam group collections are gone from the collections menu. Maybe I understand the removal of the Bastards! collection, which collected featured entries that many felt crossed the line when it came to humor, because you probably don't wont to bring attention to those works anymore. However the Clock Crew pages were well made and had a complete detailing of a significant moment in portal history. I mean seriously! Strawberry Clock is this generation's Marcel Duchamp. That and the fact that Newgrounds would have a section devoted to satirizing itself was a wonderful idea and spoke true to its nature as the free site that is "Everything by Everyone" and "The Problems of the Future, Today!"

And then, there's the fact that you got rid of the literature sections. I loved reading your stories Tom, and I'm sad that newer kids are either not going to read them, or not be able to find them.

I almost feel like a modern day Rip Van Winkle in the way this site has changed.

Welp, as long Tom doesn't do a 180 and do a Warhammer 40K purge on the portal, deleting classics, old but significant works, works that are found to be "distasteful", significant spam works, old shames and anything that he feels "unworthy" or "irrelevant" or "Outdated" for the new generation of NG. This site at least is still at heart, the site love, and still holds all the classic games and moves and audios I like. I'm just going to have to get used to the newfangled design.

It's like Tom is obsessed with the way his site looks, as if he thinks his site needs to look pretty and high tech in order to attract new fans. Yet his site was always awesome and popular despite the way it looked, and even with this well intentioned but misguided redesign, it's still pretty awesome. It is all about the content; the artists, programers, musicians, the new age of storytellers and madmen. I could care less if my buttons light up with pretty colors and make sounds.

Tom should stop taking inspiration from the "Microsoft Xbox 360 Live School of Compulsively Redesigning Your Dashboard Layout" and take a note from Maddox and Google, both of which, are very bland and simple in their web design, but deliver in content immensely. Sometimes simplicity IS king.

bigbadron
bigbadron
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 39
Musician

Tom, need do fix your portal.

yhanks.

WiiFittoToreinaa
WiiFittoToreinaa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Melancholy

so far so good

Get lyrically fit!!!!
Props to Embr for putting my sig into shape!!!

BBS Signature
SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Musician
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 12:08 AM Reply

At 2 minutes ago, Luke wrote:
At 15 minutes ago, SCTE3 wrote: - Can't deposit points at the moment it seems
Hey, just for the record - Your points are still deposited, it just isn't informing you that they were deposited upon your five votes.
I tweeted about it to the Newgrounds page and one of them got back to me almost immediately, to quote them:

"People are getting the EXP but it doesn't give a notification right now. We will work on that."

)

Wonderful to know! As long as the cookie cutter accounts remain off the top 10 uploaders I am happy about that too.

<3//Request a Review//Review Request Club // #9 Reviewer // #3 Audio Reviewer

BBS Signature
JoSilver
JoSilver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 12:12 AM Reply

At 1 hour ago, TomFulp wrote:
At 35 minutes ago, Xaotik wrote: Uhh... Why is the BBS missing the "Reply" on each post? that was so uber convenient... :'(
That's been a big debate topic. We were attempting to reduce clutter on the page BUT it was pretty convenient. Will continue to be pondered.

I think the "reply to post" button is much better next to reply button.

EJR
EJR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 12:33 AM Reply

At 19 minutes ago, JoSilver wrote: I think the "reply to post" button is much better next to reply button.

Separate Reply and Quote buttons would probably work better

Portal, Chat & BBS Moderator

BBS Signature
T-Dice
T-Dice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Gamer
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 12:34 AM Reply

OMG YEAH!!! I JUST GOT A BONER!

sjsyami
sjsyami
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 12:35 AM Reply

i like the new age it got a nice feel to it

That guy

COOPERsPLANET
COOPERsPLANET
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 12:37 AM Reply

The new site is awsome!!

I do have one suggestion I feel pretty strong about though:

I really think you need a short description to go with the front page movies/games. Sure, us Newgrounds fanatics will prob watch/play them regardless, but for the guy who is leisurely going to newgrounds once a week, we can't just go by a thumbnail image to want to click on it. We need a little bit of info with what it's about! Doesn't to be much, but just having the thumbnail makes it kinda confusing!

Steff
Steff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 12:37 AM Reply

Woke up, got to Newgrounds and orgasm'd hard.

BBS Signature
COOPERsPLANET
COOPERsPLANET
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 12:39 AM Reply

I just thought of something! If you can't fit a description on the front page, can't you at least see the description as a pop up when you hover over the thumbnail???

TheKnoxersist
TheKnoxersist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 12:39 AM Reply

Love it, though I'm wondering why you got rid of description of things before we click to see. Thought it would show when you hover over but no. Would love that addition and everything would be perfect!

"Do you know how many Birthdays their are each year? Literally Hundreds" - One Wise Shake

dj9272
dj9272
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 12:45 AM Reply

My eyes are beyond happy. The new design was WELL worth the wait

NodTrooper
NodTrooper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
SolidMario7
SolidMario7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 12:45 AM Reply

All my love Tom. ALL OF IT.

BBS Signature
dlxrevolution
dlxrevolution
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 12:47 AM Reply

I think it looks incredible. Though, I would've advise toning down some of the color brightness of the picture as it's weighing heavily on my eyes. But other than that, good ass redesign. Much better than I could've possibly imagined.

Though I'm still gonna miss those sky scrapers :(

Sig made by DLX

BBS Signature
ZeroD314
ZeroD314
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 12:47 AM Reply

With so many new visualization options in the Audio Portal, I wish there was a quicker way to scroll through all of them to pick the one you want.

Also, instead of showing stars, I prefer showing a "4.42/5." Don't want to hover my mouse over everything.

Otherwise, looks visually orgasmic!

Siggy

sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 12:48 AM Reply

Another somewhat minor complaint, after browsing the art, audio and flash portal I noticed that the scores and vote area are not together.
I'll post a pic to show you what I mean.
You see, where I voted and my score affected....thing are on the top right while the actual overall score are underneath the flash itself, instead of right next to each other. These things feel like they shouldn't be apart.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
Carbonwater
Carbonwater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Animator
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 12:49 AM Reply

This is all a bit overwhelming.

It'll take me a couple of day to get used to this.

NewShape
NewShape
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Writer
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 12:50 AM Reply

I notice you didn't list "Favorites" in the list of bugs.

Which probably means you scrapped the idea of seeing the amount of f's a submission has. I actually thought you would add this feature to art submission in the redesign with the ability to minitor reviews.
But it seems if anything its gone off all types of media now.

Also- hey, sup, glad to see everythings still going straight for you.

RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician

i saw nothing about the zero bomber problem..one vote wont fix that. IMO, i think we should go solely by review scores, so if someone is a douchebag they'll get caught. Besides that, the new layout blew me away, it looks like a whole new newgrounds! This is a smart design, great job.

MadCow
MadCow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate

took you cunts long enough imho.

REAL TALK: you better go get a glass of orange juice & spill it all over yourself likea big dumb baby before i tear through your hymen like a dog tears through a piece of meat

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist

At A few seconds ago, sweet21 wrote: Another somewhat minor complaint, after browsing the art, audio and flash portal I noticed that the scores and vote area are not together.
I'll post a pic to show you what I mean.
You see, where I voted and my score affected....thing are on the top right while the actual overall score are underneath the flash itself, instead of right next to each other. These things feel like they shouldn't be apart.

Hmmmm.....also problems uploading images. Perhaps I should have waited for the loading bar. ANYWAY! Argument still stands. And it's even weirder in the audio portal. Sheesh the score given on the top and the overall score plus information way at the bottom.

Redesign 2012 Complete!

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature