IstvanOrosi
IstvanOrosi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-15 22:23:33 Reply

Interesting redesign.

In general I like the new look but I think the large thumbnail images tend to "break" the NG page feel. Overall, it's still NG-ish but somehow those take it in a different direction.

The new look with the images is not bad but I like to see the current rating of a submission. With the new sorting options this issue is practically gone but it's good that the old portal page is still available. :)

I just took a peak at the new project management system and the game/movie submission pages but so far have a better feel to them.

I'm looking forward to seeing how NG will evolve :)

You probably are aware of this: the NG store links (the one close to the top of the page, below the buttons) doesn't work

BBS Signature
Aqlex
Aqlex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-15 23:07:37 Reply

Although I'm sure some of these have been mentioned before, I'm going to list out all of the things I'd like to see changed or brought back.

-I would love to see a title and author attached to every submission. The front page and flashes under judgment need more than just a picture. I like the little descriptions too, and although I could live with them being gone, it would actually be nice to have them both on the front page and all other submissions before actually clicking on the submission.
-I do like the project system, but I liked the page which had all of your submissions on it and said which of your flashes have new reviews on them. The new system gives no indication of new reviews, really.
-The project system has no art submissions? It would be great if it did =)
-I have always wished for this feature: Could we possibly look at submissions by people based on their role in it? Like could we click to have a list of all the submissions where the user was only a voice-actor, or only the ones which they specifically submitted? It would be nice to do this with your own projects as well, so you can look at specifically the projects you submitted or the ones you voiced.
-I know you already mentioned it, but I'm looking forward to the day I can delete projects! Hopefully it will be soon
-I know you already are working on this too, but I'd love to see the 1-5 rating of a project, maybe even before watching it. Currently even the project system doesn't have such an option.
-There doesn't seem to be a way to look up specific authors anymore? Or am I not looking in the right place? Because I'd love that feature.
-Maybe we could sort someone's submissions based on their ratings?
-This one is more of a question: You said that you removed Flash from the site because projects won't specifically have to be flashes, but if I want to upload a movie, it can only be a .swf. Is that likely to change? Because it's hard to submit non flashes in .swf formats.

I know I had a bunch of complaints, but I do actually love the redesign. I think everything works fairly well in general, and everything is so much slicker and prettier! Good job guys =). I hope we get to see even smoother and more feature-filled versions of Newgrounds in the near future!
-Aqlex

I'm not very good at drawing, yet I like animating. It's not particularly helpful.

Aqlex
Aqlex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-15 23:12:42 Reply

Oh, and for some reason, I have to reload the page a few times whenever I get on Newgrounds for it to load properly. It loads as a bunch of white screen with the random text like "log in" and stuff around it. I don't know how much you'll be able to treat a problem you can't really diagnose though, but just in case you have any ideas as to how to fix it.
I'm using a 32-bit Windows XP Service Pack 3, using Firefox 10.0.1. Chrome does not seem to have this same loading problem though, so it may just be browser-related.

I'm not very good at drawing, yet I like animating. It's not particularly helpful.

Franpa
Franpa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-16 00:29:12 Reply

Sigh, still no way to browse the Music portal with everything sorted by both rating and date uploaded.

I mean there is still no way to tell which songs are truly liked and which are just highly rated but only have a handful of votes so can't really yet be considered great by the majority.

Franpa
Franpa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-16 00:35:45 Reply

At 2 minutes ago, Franpa wrote: Sigh, still no way to browse the Music portal with everything sorted by both rating and date uploaded.

I mean there is still no way to tell which songs are truly liked and which are just highly rated but only have a handful of votes so can't really yet be considered great by the majority.

At the moment I can only sort by Score or Date, being able to sort by both will greatly increase my ability to listen to songs that the majority have considered great, yes some songs will still only have a handful of votes with this combination but not as many as sorting by Score alone.

It would be great to also be able to choose from sorting by Ascending or Descending order.

Lastly, I don't see a way to track/subscribe to this thread to keep track of replies to my posts here...

Orgad
Orgad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Game Developer
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-16 06:22:39 Reply

At 2 days ago, jeremynative wrote: this site looks like one of those sites that just steal content and put them in a bunch of square div boxes with no organization and random images everywhere

sorry to say it is really ugly and cluttered and takes a while to load. everything is puke yellow color

i can help u re redesign, it will cost money tho of course

Get out of here!

Redesign 2012 Complete!

JumpinJimmy
JumpinJimmy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-18 19:36:08 Reply

The new design functions more poorly than the previous one, as there are no descriptions of games. I am not going to click on things randomly based on a picture and title. Newgrounds used to be the best site, but because of this one factor, I will not be visiting you until after I'm done with Armorgames and Kongregate, which actually tell me what something is. Please include descriptions and I will like you again.

Frenzy
Frenzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-20 20:39:59 Reply

Nice... it'll take a little while to get used to, but awesome work to Tom and everyone involved. :D

Akamia
Akamia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-24 00:52:20 Reply

I would like to change my background.

I don't want what I have, which I am assuming everyone is currently stuck with.

I don't like what I have.

I want to have something else.

The truth is the key, and I will use it to unlock the door of darkness to find justice.

BBS Signature
Nightverge
Nightverge
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Gamer
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-24 19:47:57 Reply

I love the new look, 10/10! Only one issue, Y U NO LET ME FAVORITE ARTISTS FROM THEIR PAGE?

cousteau
cousteau
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Gamer
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-25 12:02:10 Reply

I see the front page grid of hot games/movies has been improved with title and description+genre. Nice!! I really wanted that.

And I like the new NG style. I think I've already gotten used to it. However some people seem to complain about it... it's kinda like when Wikipedia changed the look (they had an option to customize it per user, but I don't think that fits in here, unless there are plans for adding site customization options)

tacorc
tacorc
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Animator
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-26 10:58:35 Reply

My greatest pet peeve are the level icons. There's just something about those that made them great. I don't know if it's the years I've been using this website, but I really loved those old level icons.

Redesign 2012 Complete!

Kiigen
Kiigen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Animator
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-27 22:10:10 Reply

Hey, not sure if this is the BEST place to place this anymore, but I've noticed a recurring problem. When a Betaviewer gets invited to a project, they accept and their message disappears. They stated they don't see anything in the Projects page, so I usually have to end up giving them a link after it's been accepted.

OBJECTION!

jcampbell05
jcampbell05
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-03-05 16:45:39 Reply

What about touch screen device? I know they aren't your main target. But as you say, not all of your movies and games will be flash based and inevitably this will mean people will be able to access them on devices such as the iPhone.

Drop-down menus are great for the mouse but I feel they aren't friendly for touch screens. I can't see an upload your submission, anywhere other than the drop down for instance.

The only other gripe is I don't like the five star system. I preferred it when you could see at a glance the rating a user gave in their comment. This may be a matter of personal taste and others may not have this issue. But to me I find having to look at a 5 star rating bar takes longer as you have to see how filled up it is etc etc etc.

The final gripe is i think the logout button should be text as I didn't realise thats what that icon represented, or at least you have those tooltips you use on the "More News" button on the front pages as I find the browser tooltips take forever to display for you to workout what the buttons mean.

Other than these two minor gripes, I feel this design is a welcome change and improves on a already supreme design.

CatFat
CatFat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Animator
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-03-19 20:28:10 Reply

At 1 month ago, fabbemannen wrote: What I miss the most is how new reviews was shown (with score and favorites). Is there a new place to check that, cause I haven't seen one?

This.
It's the one thing that is really getting to me, unless it's brilliantly hidden somewhere, i'd like to be able to see if I have new reviews etc..like a simple overview of everything. All my submissions, like it used to be.
Also I think the notifications could be used better. I was hoping it would tell you if you have a reply to a comment for example. Plus it'd be nice if it could display a number for new notifications a bit (guh, i hate to reference it..) like facebook, or like with the PMs.

PSN ID: CatFatNG
Xbox Gamertag: CatFatNG

BBS Signature
onizuka8889
onizuka8889
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-03-20 20:30:26 Reply

i'll give it this, its looks nice. The site was needing and update. But on a whole it royaly sucks. It takes longer to navigate those giant boxes that take up the entire screen and really kill me wanting to even try and look up anything new. (random clicking sucks) The classic portal lacks the pop up with pic/info, which kills that. Overall you can't really improve over a perfect set up and i don't really see me spending much time around here anymore. damn shame

ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-03-23 14:39:42 Reply

- I miss the NG clock at the bottom of the forum pages.

that was useful when having deadlines for contests, etc.

- I miss the date and time a post was made (rather than 'a week ago', '2 days ago')

was very helpful for modding (knowing if someone did something before or after a warning, etc.), as well as the time a particular user might most likely be online, etc.

- I miss the numbers for scores (as opposed to stars)

makes it difficult to figure out BA's ...or worse, explain how to do it to a newb that's trying to start a collab.
Plebbi
Plebbi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-03-24 15:37:48 Reply

At 3/23/12 02:39 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: - I miss the NG clock at the bottom of the forum pages.
that was useful when having deadlines for contests, etc.
- I miss the date and time a post was made (rather than 'a week ago', '2 days ago')
was very helpful for modding (knowing if someone did something before or after a warning, etc.), as well as the time a particular user might most likely be online, etc.
- I miss the numbers for scores (as opposed to stars)
makes it difficult to figure out BA's ...or worse, explain how to do it to a newb that's trying to start a collab.

Yeah the whole Clock on the forum was nice and date and times.. Other then that im getting use to the site, and realized that "Classic Portal" was the one and same link and that is something i will use. If you ever decided to drop the portal you would be hurting the site, the CLASSIC PORTAL! is the only thing i use when checking games and vids.

Other then that the site is kick ass and it's getting me in the mood to create some submissions ... Keep up the good work oh and one thing i do miss, i miss Pico he's way to Iconic for Newgrounds to not be a big part of it for example i just released my deposit points for the day.. I miss :( Pico going into the Vault thing and Maybe i am missing it, but what ever happened to the secret thing if you got to certain amount of points you could view flash secrets

ex: Pico vs Bear - original edition
ex: The Cake

Kasperkain
Kasperkain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-03-26 06:03:41 Reply

I wish the Flag/Blow whistle button was back. Its actually quite aggravating to view an inappropriate flash submission and not be able to flag it. Old habits from my last profile.

The opinion of those who claim the glass to be half full matters to the extent of ignorance. Rather Up or down, Full or empty, The glass remains half rather than whole.

borneville
borneville
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-04-01 03:36:46 Reply

Is anyone else disappointed about the lack of a media player interface on movies after all this redesign business?

Eltro2kneo
Eltro2kneo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-04-07 18:19:44 Reply

At 3/26/12 06:03 AM, Kasperkain wrote: I wish the Flag/Blow whistle button was back. Its actually quite aggravating to view an inappropriate flash submission and not be able to flag it. Old habits from my last profile.

The whistling is what we STRONGLY need now. It's been two months and who knows if there were so much stolen/inappropriate/illegal content passing judgement? It's dangerous and it's now one of New Grounds' weak points.

As for the date n' time on the forums, the only way to know exactly when a post was made is by waiting 40 days to pass to read its date.

Words do not kill people, people kill words.
You have no enemies, you are your enemy.
Eltro Mato

Franpa
Franpa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-06-28 13:42:34 Reply

Since redesign:

1) Can no longer search for specific music artist, the search bar only lets me search song titles it seems.

2) Can not seemingly view all of my own posts and quickly navigate to where I made a post to review any responses to it.

3) Still can't sort by more sort filters, since the redesign we have less then what we had before and even before the redesign we still couldn't sort by a combination of positive score, number of reviews and date. Such a function would allow me to identify with ease songs which the audience has truly regarded as great.

Splats
Splats
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Audiophile
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2014-04-27 15:02:05 Reply

At 2/9/12 05:09 PM, SouljaBoy wrote: swag

oi i'm talking directly to souljaboy lookit me guys am i cool yet? pretty boy swag amiright

*sigh*

BBS Signature