Respond to this Topic
eric-burdin
eric-burdin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 05:27 PM Reply

The Audio portal was was raped by a thorny dildo with the redesign. And Tom neglected to bring the lube. The Visulalizations, which were fun and uniquely Newgrounds, were all replaced by dozens of generic colored line junk.

Ecke
Ecke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Audiophile
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 05:27 PM Reply

Looks great on a 2560 x 1440 display.

/ Accomplishments: first 1000 comment news post.
/ عثكغ ʘⒺⒸⓀⒺʘ

BBS Signature
reverend
reverend
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Movie Buff
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 05:28 PM Reply

At 27 minutes ago, T3XT wrote:
At 21 hours ago, reverend wrote: Oh Snap! And congrats!
Do I like this...?

Yes, yes you do. There are going to be growing pains, but undoubtedly the Staff are listening and will fix things that need to be fixed in due time.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature
Eltro2kneo
Eltro2kneo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 05:31 PM Reply

At 37 minutes ago, TomFulp wrote:
At 13 hours ago, BrotherRabbit wrote: 1) I had a voting power of 10+ before the update and now it's 8.14 with no added bonus. What gives? Additionally, no note as to how many more votes I need to complete the day's points collection or notice that I've gained my points...
That's a bug we need to fix.

Wha, wha, whaaaaaa!?!? "we plan to switch to a one-vote-per-user system" Just saw this... Please don't. Please for the love of [insert unholy omnipotent being here] don't! This is why I log in daily, for the extra voting power over the newbs. Trust me, senior members having more voting power over D-bags that just registered is a GOOD THING.
Oops I didn't mean voting power of 1 per user, I meant one vote per submission per user. So you would vote with power but not vote multiple times on the same thing. To do it right the score of the submission would need to fluctuate over time as your vote power grows - but this might be a big performance issue so it's still in an exploratory phase.

2) Thanks for leaving the "Classic Portal" page, but can we get a segregated "Under Judgement" spot back at the top please?
Under Judgment stuff still shows up on the Classic Portal, it's just that publishing broke so nothing has been submitted since launch.

Thanks Tom! Now I understand the 1-vote-per-user system. It's just voting on a submission once (and not switching to like/dislike).

Words do not kill people, people kill words.
You have no enemies, you are your enemy.
Eltro Mato

CorpseGrinderClock
CorpseGrinderClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Animator
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 05:41 PM Reply

Alright I just read the whole bloody thread (all 627 replies)

One of the things that bothers me the most is that almost all the positive stuff is along the lines of

At 7 hours ago, TwistedPersonality wrote: The new level icons are SWEEEEET.
AND YOU FRIGGING ADDED THE :3 FOR THE BBS.

I'M GONNA DIE.

I don't really see anyone saying that things like navigation and function are improved at all, they're all saying how they like the colors and the icons and the sparkly nonsense.

At 18 hours ago, InnerChild548 wrote: where's the mature section?

Credit where credit is due, damn proud of you cats for getting rid of this, good job it really is a step in the right dicec....

At 18 hours ago, JoSilver wrote: OH god... For a sec there... I was afraid you guys got rid of this...

http://www.newgrounds.com/collection/adultfeatures.html

PHEW!!!

...oh. Never mind.

Anyway, I'm not really seeing anyone talking about improvements in the function or the navigation, quite the opposite.

So Tom I noticed you've been responding to things and I only quoted criticisms you hadn't responded to yet that I personally agree with:

At 14 minutes ago, ultimatum479 wrote: So, exactly when was having only pictures on each portal, instead of actual DESCRIPTIONS, a good thing? It's an improvement to have to click on every single game or video in order to know what you're getting into?
At 19 hours ago, PoopyMcButt wrote: I don't care for the background art, i'd prefer something basic tbh.
At 18 hours ago, jqzjqz wrote: I think the 'Classic Portal' deserves its own link in the navigation menu.
At 18 hours ago, DancingTomato wrote: This reminds me a lot of Josh Bend's old site Retrogade.
At 15 hours ago, Andragon wrote: Hovering over submissions in the portal used to give me a quick snapshot. Right now all it shows is the ratings.
At 13 hours ago, richmansgirl wrote: I liked it better when all my info/stats were on my 1 userpage.
At 8 hours ago, razorbladesigh wrote: the main/community page backgrounds make us look like a 13 year old hangout.

Accurate though it may be, I prefer moving towards progress.

At 7 hours ago, shenzu wrote: I don't know why you had to separate the games from the movies. It was very obvious before which one was which by just looking to the left of the title and looking at the symbol.
At 7 hours ago, HeavyTank wrote: And about the userpage, it's not very good, practically speaking.
You have all the favorites, updates etc. on the right, but absolutely nothing on the left, so why did you put the stats on a separate page? Please put them back there, or at least give us an option to do so.
Now I have to switch pages every time I want to either look at my stats or just look at my BBS posts.

And, speaking of switching pages, a separate page for submissions that are under judgment seems superfluous as well.Again, more clicking that could be avoided.
At 4 hours ago, CommanderMeaty wrote: I feel like most of the layers are TOO big.
At 3 hours ago, nothere wrote: When voting there is no countdown to qualifying for experience points, nor is there a tally of points needed for the next level nor the blam boost to voting power. The message suggests that voting on over five entries will continue earning you experience points. There is no timer for the next vote day.

My level avatar says "blank slate", whatever that means.

The submission sections with the large thumbs and teeny tiny rollover type are hard to understand and navigate.

You have put a lot of work into this, for which you are to be commended, however, overall the site looks overproduced and out of control. I see that reviews are overall positive and with the necessity of use I'll settle in, but the re-do is a step back for usability.

So for starts, the top navigation bar. It's called mystery meat navigation, and it's a bad idea. Yes I know Google did it, but one of the things we all liked about Google was the simple hyperlink-based navigation. Google fucked up doing this, I'd urge you not to make the same mistake.

Form follows function is the way it should work, and decreasing the functionality to make it a teeny thing up at the top doesn't seem to be an improvement to me.

And I notice that, despite all these unnecessary and unwanted changes that aren't particularly helpful, that other things that seem obvious that people have been wanting for years simply weren't added. For instance, a preview button, or the ability to choose where in your post an image is inserted.

I'm up for change, and I appreciate that this site is your baby, but it seems like things were changed in a way that overcomplicated things without adding to functionality, added visual clutter, and got rid of stuff that looked and worked really well in favor of things that flat-out don't.

At 10 hours ago, theicecubeclock wrote: Good job with StrawberryClock on the movies page, however.

Concur.

At 12/16/11 12:04 AM, Luis wrote:
: i like all the masturbation threads i know more about myself than i ever would if it wasnt for newgrounds.

BBS Signature
MetropiaLife
MetropiaLife
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Gamer
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 05:43 PM Reply

I really love the new NewGrounds look, it's the most futuristic site I've ever seen. But, I REALLY MISS THE HEADER ON THE PROFILE. It made our profiles look even cooler. Please bring them back!

once4got10angel
once4got10angel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 05:44 PM Reply

It looks absolutely amazing, I can't wait to force all of my friends who haven't logged in recently to do so now.

BBS Signature
Mellvin
Mellvin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 05:45 PM Reply

Huh! It looks pretty good. The background has obnoxious colors in my opinion that kind of distract from the content on the site, but I'm pretty sure the background will be changed back soon enough.

TotalN
TotalN
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 05:45 PM Reply

OMG!! THIS IS ALL SO AMAZING!!! I can't wait until everything is finished. I'll have fun getting used to all of this again.

OMIGOSH it's SO COOL!!!

Jus' keep on rockin', ya'll. Keep on rockin'.

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Audiophile
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 05:48 PM Reply

At 2 hours ago, LegolaSS wrote: and you thought you took my golden bow away!...

No, it was me who thought I could get it gone. I told Jeff the cupid fucking sucks and he took that consideration. You can have your bow, at least it's no more on the actual levels.

[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

TotalN
TotalN
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 05:49 PM Reply

I just realised, this means that some one as to make a new Newgrounds levels, huh?

Jus' keep on rockin', ya'll. Keep on rockin'.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 05:49 PM Reply

At 13 hours ago, Martin wrote: Is the Art Portal gonna have a co-authoring feature as well?

Ultimately that's the plan!

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 05:50 PM Reply

At 13 hours ago, Kamikaye wrote: Wow the waiting time was really worth it. Such a massive change ! I like the color seperation of the diffrent site areas, but the art portal is way too vibrant and coloful, it needs a darker background imho. At least when you are on an image page.

That is something we talked about during development - having splashy front pages for the hubs but more subdued pages for the content. Hopefully we'll get that going as we gather up more skins!

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
sl4t3r
sl4t3r
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 06:02 PM Reply

i think the design is ok. i find it a little confusing though :P

chubzilla100
chubzilla100
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 06:07 PM Reply

Am I the only one who misses the top 5 weekly audio player thing on the audio page? I saw no mention of it, or any kind of audio portal player in the main post.

Although a bit of wee came out when I saw all these new emoticons things

Steam: Chubzilla100 also Check out da You Tubes

I dont think you understand the importance of clicking my sig, and the limitless prizes it holds.

BBS Signature
Rudy
Rudy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 06:08 PM Reply

What redesign?

BBS Signature
Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Art Lover
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 06:10 PM Reply

At 7 minutes ago, TomFulp wrote:
That is something we talked about during development - having splashy front pages for the hubs but more subdued pages for the content. Hopefully we'll get that going as we gather up more skins!

More skins ftw!! :D

I also have a suggestion. When a thread in the BBS has multiple pages the numbers below show like "1 2 3 4....251... 489". But many times you will want to check the second or third to last page, e.g when you have been away or the thread just reached the next page. So it would be better if it would show like "1 2 3 4... 251... 487 488 489". I think basically like it was before. I know it's just one more click to get to the desired page, but still.

Also, liljim was right, I miss the "post reply" button without the quote without having to scroll up. But maybe I am just spoilt by the previous comfort. lol

Great job. Thanks to all you hard working staff folks for the new design and the new features.

BBS Signature
KombuchananClock
KombuchananClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 06:14 PM Reply

It woud be nice if I could change backgrounds, because I hate Egoraptor's and I don't want to have to look at it every time I visit my profile page. I don't like the one for the NG Shop either but I almost never even go there so that's not as much of an issue. But my profile page? I go there a lot.

KombuchananClock
KombuchananClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 06:16 PM Reply

At A few seconds ago, KombuchananClock wrote: It woud be nice if I could change backgrounds, because I hate Egoraptor's and I don't want to have to look at it every time I visit my profile page. I don't like the one for the NG Shop either but I almost never even go there so that's not as much of an issue. But my profile page? I go there a lot.

Also, include an edit button, because I realized I made a typo right after I posted this.

Mcdeeman21
Mcdeeman21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 06:17 PM Reply

CHANGE IS SCARY! Are you able to integrate some form of classic newgrounds where we have the old layout? This one is pretty cool, but I grew quite attached to the old one. We wouldn't like change, would we mother.

theredcastlecrasher
theredcastlecrasher
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 06:21 PM Reply

great job.

BBS Signature
nconde25
nconde25
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Animator
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 06:22 PM Reply

Tom
How high is priority on imports for last years earnings and do you how an aprox ETA for that?

BBS Signature
Darnose
Darnose
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 06:23 PM Reply

Why is the site soooooooooooo slow? It's sexy and everything, but it is so much slower. You need a server upgrade. Congrats by the way :D

A great site to make you laugh: Parodies

Mcdeeman21
Mcdeeman21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 06:35 PM Reply

I think I may or may not (taking into account my own stupidity) have discovered a glitch with the experience depositing system. I have voted on well over 5 flashes and games today and it won't tell me how much experience I need, or level me up. I am kind of irritated, as I only need 10 more xp to get my next secret, of which I eagerly anticipate.

roozie12190
roozie12190
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
AlphaCentauri
AlphaCentauri
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Movie Buff
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 06:47 PM Reply

Any updates on the long ago mentioned friend system?

Redesignpost2012

You have to know your name.
LOOP
One day you'll all miss me.

BBS Signature
Mrputter
Mrputter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 06:47 PM Reply

I like it. It's all pretty :3
(Also approve of new emotes)

JoSilver
JoSilver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 06:48 PM Reply

I think that getting rid of the title for reviews was just terrible...

Knowing that you had to give your review a title made you really think before you wrote a review. Especially since you can only make one and only one review and or "comment..." on any given thing. It's just me getting sick over the though of this site becoming like YouTube But I think that was a bad move.

Also I really hate the stars. I mean we've all come to understand that 4.6 + is godlike
4.2 + is pretty sweet
3.8 + is cool
3.5 + is worth a look
3.1 + is decent
2.5 + is just passing.

The stars a very convoluted, It's nice that now hovering your mouse over the stars in Movie page gives you the real score. But I would much rather only see number or at the least both stars and Numbers.

Stars when you're browsing Number when you are actually watching the danm thing. And to be fair Number take up a lot less room.

Umburns
Umburns
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 06:49 PM Reply

funny how the internet gets people raging cause of others stupidity. Anyways ya get the crashing problem fixed Tom? I've been on and crashed twice on the site so far is everything better yet. Also what's the update on liljim after the server fell on him? Jk jim but really the crashing thing is starting to bug me a little.

Too kind he was. It was unfortunate he was a good pawn.

Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 06:57 PM Reply

I wonder, will all this changes, you still keep the same voting system? I've been lurking here for a few years, and recently created an account. One thing that makes no sense to me is that to increase my music voting power (because I don't care about flash games nor movies tbh) I need to vote on stuff that is strictly NOT music (like movies and games ....). So alhough I spend a lot of time voting in the music section I have no bonuses compared to someone who plays a games and leaves a vote without a review or anything else (zero bombers, yes you're included).
I feel, IMO, that both music and art should have different voting pools. I am not sure if this is the right place to bring this topic, but since you're all up for a change, I thought I might as well try my luck and post my user opinion here.
Love the new interface on music, even if I cannot see to which category the music I'm hearing actually belongs to.

Keep the good job anyway, hope I helped.