Respond to this Topic
Biofreak42069
Biofreak42069
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Programmer
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-08 02:22:16 Reply

Needs to tell me when my votes were deposited already or need X more.

Kajenx
Kajenx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-08 02:22:20 Reply

It's so pretty and glowy...

BBS Signature
VegetarianMeat
VegetarianMeat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-08 02:27:13 Reply

I miss the feature of being able to stop flash films/games when you were on their page. Unless I'm missing something?

VegetarianMeat
VegetarianMeat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-08 02:29:09 Reply

I think it would be cool if you could choose what you want the background to be in specific (or all) places. I personally really like catoblepas art in the 'Under judgement' page. It's awesome.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-08 02:30:10 Reply

At 2 hours ago, Alter-native wrote: I felt that the site was a little more easier to navigate before this update. Now, I find it harder to find all the classics because now I have to navigate through all these different pages to find them. For instance, I get nostalgic for old games like the brawler Shinobu, Power Fox, and the sword fighting maze epic, Ronin Spirit of the Sword.

The problem with this system is that I manually managed it and did a bad job at it. It was good if you wanted to play a classic game but not good for anything else. My personal experience with the new system is that I've been finding lots of fun stuff I would have missed on the old site. And you can use your favorites list to keep track of things you want to revisit later.

Then there are little things, like how there used to be a little drop down menu thing to the left siderbar of a movie that I could click to check out other movies by the same author, instantly. I don't see that anymore.

I used to live by that dropdown box until we launched user pages. Once we had those, I would go to user pages and visually browse and never used the dropdown anymore. I was hoping no one else did either but now I'm curious how many people still liked it. It was actually a bit of a drain on the database, having to pull in every submission by everyone credited on a given submission.

However the Clock Crew pages were well made and had a complete detailing of a significant moment in portal history. I mean seriously! Strawberry Clock is this generation's Marcel Duchamp. That and the fact that Newgrounds would have a section devoted to satirizing itself was a wonderful idea and spoke true to its nature as the free site that is "Everything by Everyone" and "The Problems of the Future, Today!"

The Crew collections were moved under the Newgrounds parent collection a while back. The Clock Crew collection is still there.

And then, there's the fact that you got rid of the literature sections. I loved reading your stories Tom, and I'm sad that newer kids are either not going to read them, or not be able to find them.

I moved all of these to the Wiki so we would never have to manually re-style each page ever again. There's a section about events and a section with stories. It was getting really painful to update every single one for each redesign. :)

It's like Tom is obsessed with the way his site looks, as if he thinks his site needs to look pretty and high tech in order to attract new fans. Yet his site was always awesome and popular despite the way it looked, and even with this well intentioned but misguided redesign, it's still pretty awesome. It is all about the content; the artists, programers, musicians, the new age of storytellers and madmen. I could care less if my buttons light up with pretty colors and make sounds.

I think I just get tired of how the site looks and each layout ultimately hits a wall for potential. A fresh site brings fresh energy and helps keep everyone inspired. That being said, I don't want to do another big redesign for as long as possible. Just lots and lots of improvements.

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Razz
Razz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-08 02:33:36 Reply

It's like 50% every previous design, 50% something new.

BBS Signature
marchohare
marchohare
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-08 02:34:27 Reply

I like it. Alas, I am another one of those users on an old Mac PowerPC, so there are some Flash features I will never see. The submissions are backwards-compatible though, so that's good. They play just fine. I'm mostly just missing out on ads, I think. Hee-hee!

Oh, are our custom page headers a thing of the past? (I don't really expect an answer -- you guys have got to be busy as hell -- but if I didn't ask, there would be no chance of getting an answer).

Anyway, overall, looks nice!

BBS Signature
Halindir
Halindir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-08 02:37:32 Reply

Why the fuck is my published works shown in alphabethic order?!...I can't keep track of the chronology any more..Fuck sakes man. Fuck sakes.

BenjaminTibbetts
BenjaminTibbetts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-08 02:45:23 Reply

It might be nice if the Game Dev tools link(s) was more prominent. Maybe on the same page as "Submit a Game", "Submit a Movie", etc.

BBS Signature
BoredLooney
BoredLooney
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-08 02:45:44 Reply

Is it me, or did updating the site lose me my saved game data?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA- no.

Tycrane
Tycrane
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-08 02:45:59 Reply

This is pretty awesome.

Great work Tom F. and co. :)

RENstyles
RENstyles
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Melancholy
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-08 02:48:09 Reply

Good work lad

BBS Signature
BenjaminTibbetts
BenjaminTibbetts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-08 02:48:59 Reply

Bug. The converting to WAV option for audio submissions is not working at all.

BBS Signature
TheSouthernTower
TheSouthernTower
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Gamer
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-08 02:49:10 Reply

Old design was better. WAY better.

BenjaminTibbetts
BenjaminTibbetts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-08 02:51:40 Reply

At 1 minute ago, BenjaminTibbetts wrote: Bug. The converting to WAV option for audio submissions is not working at all.

Oops, I'll PM this.

Great design overall though, I think. Love the original wall artwork.

BBS Signature
Chisugi
Chisugi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-08 02:56:52 Reply

Overall its good but I liked the old one more because of some features and layout it had. This new one takes a while to load if you're using a mobile device and its kind of slow on older computers like my laptop to where I'm having to use adblock+ a lot.

I'd give the old Layout a 9/10 where as the new one I give it a 6/10 simply because it lost some functionality just to gain some new graphics which I don't really care for.

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-08 02:57:59 Reply

At 8 hours ago, TomFulp wrote: Update your AURA to reflect your interest / specialty.

Can I have an aura stating "writer", please? Everyone else has been pandered to and none of the others accurately reflects me as a member of society :(

UNLEASH THE SCOTCH FOUNTAIN

All is forgiven... so long as it's a single malt in there!

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-08 03:02:34 Reply

You guys are geniuses.

When's the next redesign coming? lolololol

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
RalphieUJ
RalphieUJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-08 03:04:51 Reply

i love it you guys, you just gave this site +100% more life.

"Aww man I shot marvin in the face..."
Last.fm

BBS Signature
Wiesi
Wiesi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-08 03:07:30 Reply

It really looks awesome!!! Exceeds my expectations by far! Congratulations!!

lolfunny
lolfunny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-08 03:11:08 Reply

I miss my red boxing glove :(

LazarheaD
LazarheaD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-08 03:18:43 Reply

Mr. Fulp, I would like to see the names of the movies and games displayed all the time on the main page as well as the author's name. It's just that im not getting anything from a bunch of random tiles. The classic portal is looking really good thou.

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-08 03:37:14 Reply

Far out! You can see the effort put into the redesign!

BrotherRabbit
BrotherRabbit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 45
Musician
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-08 03:41:47 Reply

As a 7+ year user I have to say... Thank you NG, Tom/Wade/etc!

I appreciate you guys keeping things fresh and a redesign for the year of our apocalypse 2012 was just the right timing.

On to the bitching and moaning. ;)

Only three issues so far. *whew... right?*

1) I had a voting power of 10+ before the update and now it's 8.14 with no added bonus. What gives? Additionally, no note as to how many more votes I need to complete the day's points collection or notice that I've gained my points...

Wha, wha, whaaaaaa!?!? "we plan to switch to a one-vote-per-user system" Just saw this... Please don't. Please for the love of [insert unholy omnipotent being here] don't! This is why I log in daily, for the extra voting power over the newbs. Trust me, senior members having more voting power over D-bags that just registered is a GOOD THING.

7 years... WASTED??? Please no. Bad Newgrounds!

2) Thanks for leaving the "Classic Portal" page, but can we get a segregated "Under Judgement" spot back at the top please?

I ONLY voted on under judgement content each day when gaining my daily points for the blam/protect points and the added "Woo Hoo! I f-ing saw this first!" gratification once the ones I knew ruled made it into top slots or received awards.

I understand that you've moved that section into separate pages for games vs movies, but since it's the "Classic Portal" page could we get the slot at the top left back for only "Under Judgement" content? I will definitely continue to use it. (segueway into next rant ;) )

3) Is it just a temporary thing or are there too few content items in the "Under Judgement" section of the new separated game/movie pages?

I don't remember ever seeing less than 4 content items on the classic page as "Under Judgement". (all lies, but I exaggerate a -LOT-) I only see 3 in games and 1 in movies on the new UJ type specific pages currently and they are not updating for over an hour? Just a glitch or am I missing something deeper? (That's what she said RIGHT?... WELL??? Am I right or am I ri... you get the picture...)

Thanks again I love the new design, but I do agree that having the adverts appear like uploads from members on the homepage does skew gaymo. (to use the vernacular; derp!; no homo-phobe!)

-BrotherRabbit Ranked #547 as of TODAY! (and what a bright new day it is for my favorite webdoohickey NG!)

richmansgirl
richmansgirl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Melancholy
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-08 03:43:56 Reply

It may look better, but the navigation is ridiculous. Also, I liked it better when all my info/stats were on my 1 userpage.

WeHaveFreshCookies
WeHaveFreshCookies
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Game Developer
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-08 03:47:48 Reply

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!! Bring back the notifications for voting. "You need 4 more votes to deposit", and "you need XXX more exp. to level up."

Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-08 03:55:41 Reply

Well, you can't love everything about a new design, but overall I think it's a great improvement.

Assios
Assios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Programmer
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-08 03:57:35 Reply

SO BEAUTIFUL!

GameBalance
GameBalance
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-08 03:58:20 Reply

ZOMG, redisign is total

BBS Signature
Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to Redesign 2012 Complete! 2012-02-08 03:59:06 Reply

hoorya, happy birthdaty!!!

Join the Newgrounds Battlefield 3 Platoon (for PC)! DON'T ASK WHAT YOUR GAME CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR, UH, NEWGROUNDS! ON BATTLEFIELD 3. eh...