New Topic Respond to this Topic
DancingTomato
DancingTomato
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
The Geology Club 2012-01-31 17:22:39 Reply

Alright, this club might be a bit to high-brow for most of BBS users (<15 years old) but I am a geology major at UC Davis and want to get to know other Newgrounds users whole Geology too!

Geology is the study of the Earth, and in particular the history, the structure, the evolution of life, and the processes that have molded the Earth and its inhabitants. The coming of the space age has also extended the field to include the solid planets of the solar system. Although often attracted to the study of geology by an aesthetic appreciation and enjoyment of the earth, geologists commonly approach their studies from an interest either in the academic or the applied aspects of the science.
The academic aspects include the study of the history of life, the Earth, and the planets, and of the processes that drive the historical evolution. The study of historical evolution through "deep time" is what fundamentally distinguishes geology from most of the other physical sciences. The study of the processes that drive this evolution can involve the application of any of the physical or life sciences to understanding the Earth. In this sense, geology is truly an interdisciplinary science.

Maybe you are interested in Geology and don't know it yet! Geologists love rock collecting, rock climbing, hiking, camping, and general outdoor activities. If you are interested in Geology, describe if you are currently participating in any research projects or talk about any field of geology that interests you! I was hoping maybe other Geology students (graduate or undergraduate) would be interested in discussing geological topics and having debates.

Here is a badass picture from my summer field class in Wyoming!

The Geology Club

BBS Signature
saltovergray
saltovergray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to The Geology Club 2012-01-31 19:12:52 Reply

I love Geology. Psychology is my dream, but it cannot compare to the pure wonder of more natural sciences (geology, biology, astronomy, etc).

Quick question before I come back to this club at a later date: Friends have told me I should invest in Opal, as apparently the price is going up. Would you know anything about the kinds of Opal I should look for and if it is worth my time?

BBS Signature
IceDragon64
IceDragon64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to The Geology Club 2012-01-31 19:44:55 Reply

Geology? Yay!

I am an amateur geologist. I don't have much time for it these days, but it still interests me a little. As I travel around or watch TV etc. I tend to notice the geology around me as part of the scenery and interest of an area.

I created an animation about geology back on 2007- do take a look:
Birth of an Island

I realise now it is quite crude, but its still a reasonable summary of its subject. Maybe it there was interest I might make the second part.

I have a fairly substantial collection or minerals, rocks and fossils- largely from the British Cretaceous, but with other specimens from around the world

To respond to the question about opals- I think the most important thing about investing in stones is to ensure that they are genuine. If you have no way of verifiying them, then only buy from reputable sources.
Opals have a certain inherant value in that they are difficult to simulate effectively, but as a relatively obscure stone, the price may be at risk of falling if a single major new source opens up. They are a relatively soft gemstone and are usually sold as a doublet or triplet- if you don't know what that is, you are not ready to invest in them.

I make quizzes. If someone shows major effort and interest in this subject, I might make an animated quiz about geology one time, but I will need to see support on this as I have a lot of calls on my time.

Geology is an important and under-rated subject that should be a bigger part of school curiculum.

Come on, make this club happen!

We are the Dragons & Spirits. We are friendly people. Best Wishes, Ice!

BBS Signature
DancingTomato
DancingTomato
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to The Geology Club 2012-02-01 12:16:28 Reply

At 1/31/12 07:44 PM, IceDragon64 wrote: Geology? Yay!

Yeah!

I have a fairly substantial collection or minerals, rocks and fossils- largely from the British Cretaceous, but with other specimens from around the world

Sweet! The oldest rocks I have are around 2.8 billion years old. I also have some mid-Cambrian trilobite fossils collected in Utah! I love my rock collection! I think my old junior college will be having a summer geology trip to England, so that would be amazing!

This is me after a hike this summer in Wyoming!

The Geology Club

BBS Signature
DancingTomato
DancingTomato
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to The Geology Club 2012-02-21 17:12:19 Reply

Just finished a geologic map of Rainbow Basin!

The Geology Club

BBS Signature