New Topic Respond to this Topic
Bobbybroccoli
Bobbybroccoli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Gamer
The Official Videogame music thread Jan. 24th, 2012 @ 10:11 PM Reply

This is a thread I believe this forum would benefit from, considering the amount of interest in VG music shown around these parts.

We're giving this a trial run, so if interest doesn't seem large enough we will either revise the rules or lock/delete the thread.

The title says it all. Post links to videogame music here, and discuss with your peers.

Some rules and guidelines that would make this much more organized and civil.

1. No linking to download sites that aren't from either the publisher of the game or the music composer. We don't promote piracy, so leave it to sites such as youtube and the like.

2. Leave a label to whatever song you're linking to with either A. The name of the track or B. The game it's from. We don't want misleading links.

3. NSFW labels are required for NSFW music.

4. You may compare VG music to other music, but please stay on topic.

5. No leaving large dumps of links without a bit of commentary for them in general. It may sound tedious, but we don't want unnecessary spamming.

Also, if people feel like it, you can make requests here and peopel can link you to certain genres or tracks that fit their requests.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I'll start us off.

The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword Romance theme.

I found this track especially nice in Skyward Sword, because it made Link and Zelda's relationship all the more special than any other LoZ game before it.

VVVVVV Predestined fate.

This track has a strangely hypnotic melody that makes you feel liek you're exploring space. Has a nice use of bass and background elements.

Mario Kart DD Rainbow road theme.

A classic piece with an excellent melody that sums up the Mario kart experience quite nicely. Also, extra points for nostalgia.

999: Morphogenetic Sorrow,

A song that must be played with the game to fullt understand, but the intro still hanuts me whenever I hear it.

Crink
Crink
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to The Official Videogame music thread Jan. 24th, 2012 @ 11:24 PM Reply

We're giving this a trial run, so if interest doesn't seem large enough we will either revise the rules or lock/delete the thread.

who is we. and what makes this so official, i dont see a badge or anything

also. playing deus ex hr again because i am a sad man. chilling in the tai yong medical labs.
check out diz shit, the pure ambience is delicious.

hey

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to The Official Videogame music thread Jan. 25th, 2012 @ 12:13 AM Reply

Can I talk about the OST of a single game at a time?
Rayman origins, probably one of the best soundtracks ever. It does everything so well, it can make excellent celebratory music, creepy music, fun music, it's just an amazing soundtrack with great rhythms. It's so damn GOOD!
I mean c'mon! Tell me you wouldn't play this when you wake up in the morning!

Here's the lums of the water version, made the underwater levels so fun.

The soundtrack adds to the carefree aesthetic of the game, im a sucker for a good soundtrack and I think as long if you have a good soundtrack, graphics don't matter.

Whenever you pick up a lum king and all the other lums sing it gets you pumped, you gotta get em' all while they're worth double points! they are just so upbeat! They sing I think three different melodies? here's the lum king solo . Poor lums and their 9 second parties. here's a more ambient track and finally an exciting treasure chest chase. So sum it up: rayman origins, best sound track of 2011.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
Bobbybroccoli
Bobbybroccoli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Gamer
Response to The Official Videogame music thread Jan. 25th, 2012 @ 12:48 AM Reply

@Crink I guess we would mean me, and the mods since it's ultimately their desicion whether or not this thread will fly. I asked a couple mods first and I was told to try it for a test run and that's why I'm calling it official if this catches on.

Your track wasn't really my style, though my rule of thumb is they always sound better played next to the game they were meant for.

At 1/25/12 12:13 AM, sweet21 wrote: Can I talk about the OST of a single game at a time?

Yeah, whatever you want.

Rayman origins, probably one of the best soundtracks ever. It does everything so well, it can make excellent celebratory music, creepy music, fun music, it's just an amazing soundtrack with great rhythms. It's so damn GOOD!
I mean c'mon! Tell me you wouldn't play this when you wake up in the morning!

Nice, but I was expecting more instruments to join in. Felt a bit empty.

Here's the lums of the water version, made the underwater levels so fun.

The voices are strangely human but nonsensical at the same time.

The soundtrack adds to the carefree aesthetic of the game, im a sucker for a good soundtrack and I think as long if you have a good soundtrack, graphics don't matter.

Whenever you pick up a lum king and all the other lums sing it gets you pumped, you gotta get em' all while they're worth double points! they are just so upbeat! They sing I think three different melodies? here's the lum king solo . Poor lums and their 9 second parties. here's a more ambient track and finally an exciting treasure chest chase. So sum it up: rayman origins, best sound track of 2011.

The last one sounds like something I'd listen to.

Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to The Official Videogame music thread Jan. 25th, 2012 @ 01:01 AM Reply

the .hack games have excellent music, they range perfectly and keep the same style including fluid transitions between combat and exploring. As seen here with my favourite dungeon theme the Castle Dungeon, the upbeat combat music takes over fluently and goes in a similar fashion every time you come into combat with anything which really is nice and ambient to play with, yes combat music is good but to many games don't make it flow inbetween normal and combat like this one does.

The game has notoriously long battles, boss fights usually taking 15-30 minutes and the dungeons can continue for hours. So making the music fit such a long listening period as it does in this game is impressive and good, never during the fights does the music being annoying ever come to mind, which is something that many games usually fall short on after extended listening periods.

There are also the 8 Phases of Morgana in both the original game series and the G.U. series. Every battle theme is different yet also similar with the same base bells etc. shared between them which makes them feel more connected. My favourite of the Phases themes would be Macha in both games, followed by Skeith in INFECTION and Tarvos in G.U.

.hack//INFECTION - QUARANTINE Phases
Phase 1, Skeith / Phase 2, Innis / Phase 3, Magus / Phase 4, Fidchell / Phase 5, Gorre / Phase 6, Macha / Phase 7, Tarvos / Phase 8, Corbenik / Corbenik's 2nd theme

.hack//G.U. Phases
Phase 1, Skeith / Phase 2, Innis / Phase 3, Magus / Phase 4, Fidchell / Phase 5, Gorre / Phase 6, Macha / Phase 7, Tarvos / Phase 8, Corbenik

The themes of Cubia are also very good.
Cubia's first theme / Cubia's final theme in QUARANTINE / Cubia in G.U. / Final Cubia battle (there is another one in G.U. but it doesn't really work as well imo)

The Cubia themes are also a fitting testiment to the consistency the game has with it's music as similar to the phases it shares in common with all it's battle themes yet also has it's differences keeping it unique. Much better than games that just have completely different music for boss fights and normal fights etc. Not to mention it actually has a theme for every boss fitting each boss, and not just 1 boss theme repeated for every one. They put so much effort into the music making it flow with everything and remain unique and work, it's what makes me love the tracks so much.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
II2none
II2none
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to The Official Videogame music thread Jan. 25th, 2012 @ 01:02 AM Reply

At 1/24/12 11:24 PM, Crink wrote:
who is we. and what makes this so official, i dont see a badge or anything

Official is determined by how informative and thought out it is and I'd say this was a good idea.

If your a fan of rock or obviously a fan of sonic music you should definitely give the Sonic adventure 2 original soundtrack a go. Although you won't get any vocal tracks besides knuckles rap levels and "live and learn". For some reason Sonic team markets like that so you'd have to get the
Vocal tracks separately. Kinda greedy but worth it.

Also they' do have bits off cheesy rap music in knuckles levels with Aquatic Mine being the best in terms of lyrics as well as instrumental. But if you don't care for the lyrics the instrumental may make up for it.

All the boss themes kick ass particularly For True Story "Sonic Vs Shadow" theme and Supporting me" .

Music has ALWAYS been SEGA's strong point when it comes to sonic games they really know how to make themes stand out and fit so well within each stage,boss, hell even freakin menu/player selection screens.

Some of my all time favorite themes in the Sonic Franchise"

It doesn't matter defines the hedgehog to this day and is good motivation music.

Live and Learn

Not only does this game sums up sonic adventure 2's story it's intensity is matched with the coolest boss in the franchise. Lyrics can be applied to real life just like most Sonic vocals which is what I love most about Sonic's music.

Ocean palace

Upbeat energetic and within the first minute of the track is my favorite part of the this theme. The Generations remix although it combines ocean palace and Seaside Hill is just as awesome and also is another of my all time favorites. I'm very glad they remastered and remixed such a kick-ass track.

"supporting me" original and remix

This theme was so fitting because this boss appearance alone use to creep me the fuck out when I was a kid and that's saying a lot considering it was in a freaking sonic game! It has a sinister sound and appropriately emphasizes how sad these characters are, both fighting to death to determine who is the true ultimate life form and whether the earth will be saved or destroyed.

The remix is awesome as well, although i personally prefer the in games version because of the roar in the beginning. It's just as creepy and I love how the drums stand out alot more than they did in the original theme.

QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
simon
simon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to The Official Videogame music thread Jan. 25th, 2012 @ 02:38 AM Reply

I swear I'm having a bit of deja vu, oh well.

Goldeneye 64 had a fucking epic soundtrack. How can you dislike songs like Byelomorye Dam and Silo.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Playstation ID: SCParry || Steam ID: GNS_SimpLe
3DS Friend Code: 2878-9581-7218 || Nintendo ID: SCParry

BBS Signature
UncleABCD
UncleABCD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Audiophile
Response to The Official Videogame music thread Jan. 25th, 2012 @ 03:48 AM Reply

VGM that I have been listening to recently.

Mass Effect OST and Mass Effect 2 OST

So many amazing pieces in both soundstracks. First OST is arguably my favourite, The Battle of Eden Prime is probably the best track out of there. The second OST is also great, not as memorable for me though.

Also had a craving for Pokemon music after playing the original Emerald game.
Slateport City has the best town music in the entire game, without question. I just love the percussion in this song. Next is the oceanic museum, which is basically an orchestrated SS Anne theme. I've always preferred this rendition over the R/B/Y games. Finally, the last Poke related music that I've been enjoying recently is this remix of the R/B/Y Gym Leader battle.

UNCLE///

BBS Signature
Halberd
Halberd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to The Official Videogame music thread Jan. 25th, 2012 @ 04:37 AM Reply

Some Planescape: Torment soundtrack pieces (made by same person who made the Fallout 1 and 2 Soundtrack but I think its even better.)

Planescape: Torment Main Theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUt84LyH2 JI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvSc5jfZP _g&feature=related (I love the 'sting' at 0:32 to 0:45)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R42nlCEll zo (this is the theme of the last level)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguTypiXqqY
ILLEGAL MARIJUANA RELATED ACTIVITIES
The hand I killed your children with masturbates to the memory of it

Halberd
Halberd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to The Official Videogame music thread Jan. 25th, 2012 @ 04:41 AM Reply

I forgot to to add one link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25nXbegXO wc

The 'sting' I mentioned is actually in this one and not the other one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguTypiXqqY
ILLEGAL MARIJUANA RELATED ACTIVITIES
The hand I killed your children with masturbates to the memory of it

SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to The Official Videogame music thread Jan. 25th, 2012 @ 08:12 AM Reply

I feel like this thread is just going to drop off the front page then forgotten, but since it's here now might as well post in it ;)

Here are some of my favorite NES tunes
Mega Man 2 - Ending Theme this is just a great tune in general, makes me reflect on all the enemies I shot and stuff, although to be honest I suck at this game
Legend of the Ghost Lion - Intro Music This one is alot like the mega man tune. Great opening and makes me want to play the game and see what happens
Friday the 13th - Cabin Music This song freaked me out as a kid, I was always afraid I'd run into Jason
Gyromite - main tune Here is a fun one. Not sure what to say just listen
Treasure Master - Worlds 3+5 Treasure Master has a crazy soundtrack. The guy really knew how to use the NES's hardware to the fullest

Bobbybroccoli
Bobbybroccoli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Gamer
Response to The Official Videogame music thread Jan. 25th, 2012 @ 12:22 PM Reply

Those .hack tracks are moody and impactful.

Sonic has his own style that is endearing and unique as well as having some nice lyrics sometimes.

Goldeneye had good music, though the best pieces were remixes of old Bond themes.

The Slateport City music made me remeber playing Ruby and even though I forgot about this music, I felt nostalgic.

Planescape music and art make me very interested in what the actual gameplay is like. Is it just as well done as its music?

Gyromite and Megaman music are quite a treat for the ears even after all these years.

@@@@@@@@

Pokemon B/W Driftveil city.

Best town music ever. I got stuck on the cave right after this town, possibly to delay my parting with this music.

Small Fry music.

This music belongs to a game made by Nitrome who have some other excellent tracks (as well as great indie pixel art games) which I'll highlight later.

Fire Emblem the Sacred Stones intro theme.

A really cool piece that highlights the notion of a continent flooded with war and struggling.

Kirby's Epic Yarn: Lava Landing.

One of the most minimalist piano pieces that get a reaction of me. The one minute mark is the best part by far.

Mario Kart 7: Maka Wuhu.

Though this song originated in Wii sports Resort, this version found in MK7 is the best version.

Wii Music main theme.

For a game aimed at limited imporvisations on existing and well known pieces, if Nintendo could have made a game full of original pieces like this I would have played that game a lot more.

Bobbybroccoli
Bobbybroccoli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Gamer
Response to The Official Videogame music thread Jan. 28th, 2012 @ 08:11 PM Reply

Okay, so one bump out of 3 unless this thread becomes more popular, I'll call for it to be shut down.

The moon from Ducktails for the NES.

Awesome melody, very unfitting for a Ducktails game, sounds more like Megaman music, but then again this was a Capcom game.

Yoshi's island map theme.

The full set of instruments come in at 9:26.

Klonoa song of Rebirth.

A sad song that marks really touching part in the game's story.

II2none
II2none
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to The Official Videogame music thread Jan. 28th, 2012 @ 09:33 PM Reply

Kingdom hearts 2 is my second favorite soundtrack. The original Kingdom hearts soundtrack was well done but numbah 2 is in a whole different league. The music design is just PERFECT throughout the game I can barely remember a moment throughout my gaming experience where I wasn't
tapping my foot, or humming the tunes. And the boss themes, OH MY FREAKIN GOD Square Enix knows what the hell they're doing, their music designers are like Renaissance masters for video games.

Highy recommend listening to:

Tension Rising This track was like crack to me when it was fresh, The urge to just dance or control my head bobbing was almost maddening.In my opinion this made the Nobodies and the first boss a freaking Icon in the franchise.

Get used to reading the word "epic". And if you'd played the game you should already understand why.

Vim and Vigor

Another kickass fight theme in their many arsenal of Kickass themes. This theme was first heard during the fight against The Hun in Mulans world. Were it not for the music (along with the epic battle against Sora) I still would be picturing as that asian dude that got blown up by a rocket.

The Encounter

Less grim sounding then vim and vigor but just as epic. I really like the horns in this track,

A fight to the death

Arguably my top theme from the game it's fast pace has that "Final boss" tone and as usual it's just epic as hell.

Sanctuary

This song may seem overrated as hell since it brought soooo much hype to this games release. But it's a beautiful song I love everything about it. Listening to it without seeing the intro doesn't feel quite right. It's intense, sorrowful,and serene. It's as if this song wants you to cry.

Lyrics might sound kinda weird especially the first line at 0:15 {I need more affection than you know} it doesn't even sound like that no matter how many times I hear it. It sounds more like Japanese gibberish.

QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature