New Topic Respond to this Topic
g0t
g0t
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
White House Petition For Mpaa Jan. 23rd, 2012 @ 06:03 AM Reply

The public has started a petition asking the White House to investigate comments made by MPAA CEO Chris Dodd a few days ago on Fox News. Closing a tumultuous week of wide protest against PIPA and SOPA - two MPAA backed anti-piracy bills - Dodd threatened to stop the cash-flow to politicians who dare to take a stand against pro-Hollywood legislation. Clear bribery, the petition claims, and already thousands agree.

Responding to the mass protests against the PIPA and SOPA bills on Wednesday, the MPAA has revealed its true nature.

First, MPAA CEO Chris Dodd described the blackouts of Wikipedia, Reddit and others as corporate PR stunts which manipulated and exploited the sites' users.

"Some technology business interests are resorting to stunts that punish their users or turn them into their corporate pawns," Dodd said.

Then, a few days later when many lawmakers had already dropped their support for the anti-piracy bills, the MPAA's comments turned even more grim. Talking to Fox News, the MPAA's boss threatened to stop contributing to politicians who don't back legislation designed to protect Hollywood.

"Those who count on quote 'Hollywood' for support need to understand that this industry is watching very carefully who's going to stand up for them when their job is at stake. Don't ask me to write a check for you when you think your job is at risk and then don't pay any attention to me when my job is at stake," Dodd said.

Although it's no secret that the movie industry has a powerful lobby in Washington, explicitly admitting that bribery is one of the tactics the MPAA uses to have their way wasn't well received by the public. A few hours ago a White house petition was started to investigate Chris Dodd and the MPAA for alleged bribery.

"This is an open admission of bribery and a threat designed to provoke a specific policy goal. This is a brazen flouting of the 'above the law' status people of Dodd's position and wealth enjoy," the petition reads.

"We demand justice. Investigate this blatant bribery and indict every person, especially government officials and lawmakers, who is involved."

In just a few hours the petition amassed more than 5,000 votes and this number is increasing rapidly. As a former Senator, Chris Dodd has many friends in Washington so it's unclear whether the petition will accomplish anything, but if the numbers grow big enough the White House won't be able to ignore it either.

The MPAA's response to the PIPA and SOPA opposition this week is a sign that they might be losing control in Washington. At the very least, they are starting to lose their patience and become frustrated, which may not help their cause at this point."

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/%2 1/petition/investigate-chris-dodd-and-mp aa-bribery-after-he-publicly-admited-bri bing-politicans-pass/DffX0YQv

Gooch for MOD 09'

BBS Signature
Light
Light
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Reader

I was formerly known as "Jedi-Master."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

BBS Signature
NOTunowned
NOTunowned
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to White House Petition For Mpaa Jan. 23rd, 2012 @ 06:12 AM Reply

ye bro lets do a little petition and that is how we participate in the process, instead of contacting your representives which are as bought and paid for as your liberal god king puppet obama

Light
Light
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Reader
Response to White House Petition For Mpaa Jan. 23rd, 2012 @ 06:25 AM Reply

At 1/23/12 06:12 AM, NOTunowned wrote: ye bro lets do a little petition and that is how we participate in the process, instead of contacting your representives which are as bought and paid for as your liberal god king puppet obama

It's not as if people who sign online government petitions can't also contact their representatives and senators. Many do both.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

BBS Signature
SolidMario7
SolidMario7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to White House Petition For Mpaa Jan. 23rd, 2012 @ 07:08 AM Reply

Although I did make this first your post has more class. Anyways! Doesn't matter either way so long as this gets recognized.

BBS Signature
g0t
g0t
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to White House Petition For Mpaa Jan. 23rd, 2012 @ 01:57 PM Reply

At 1/23/12 06:25 AM, Light wrote:
At 1/23/12 06:12 AM, NOTunowned wrote: ye bro lets do a little petition and that is how we participate in the process, instead of contacting your representives which are as bought and paid for as your liberal god king puppet obama
It's not as if people who sign online government petitions can't also contact their representatives and senators. Many do both.

Exactly. Thank you!

Actually for SOPA/PIPA, I called my state senators, Carl Levin and Debbie Stabanow and senate majority leader Harry Reed as well as my state representative Candice S. Miller. I'm from Michigan, obviously. So I really don't understand why you've got such a massive cock in your ass.

If you're not going to participate in the process but rather harp at people who are actually trying to stand up for their opinions and for their fellow man you might as well shut the fuck up and appreciate what we're doing.

Fucking muppet.

At 1/23/12 07:08 AM, SolidMario7 wrote: Although I did make this first your post has more class. Anyways! Doesn't matter either way so long as this gets recognized.

I'm sorry, I was just trying to spread the word and went against my usual process of searching first. My apologies and I'm happy you made the post.

Gooch for MOD 09'

BBS Signature
Bolo
Bolo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Blank Slate
Response to White House Petition For Mpaa Jan. 23rd, 2012 @ 02:15 PM Reply

Obama's team was really smart to put up this petition website. Really lets people feel like they're doing something or being heard, and sometimes they even get a reply from the administration.

Good tactic, imo. Should make re-election even easier.

BBS Signature
Richard
Richard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Animator
Response to White House Petition For Mpaa Jan. 23rd, 2012 @ 02:34 PM Reply

At 1/23/12 02:15 PM, Bolo wrote: Obama's team was really smart to put up this petition website. Really lets people feel like they're doing something or being heard, and sometimes they even get a reply from the administration.

Implying that Obama will be re-elected after all the shit (and lack thereof) that his administration has done.

Rabid-Echidna
Rabid-Echidna
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to White House Petition For Mpaa Jan. 23rd, 2012 @ 02:47 PM Reply

At 1/23/12 02:15 PM, Bolo wrote:
Obama's team was really smart to put up this petition website. Really lets people feel like they're doing something or being heard, and sometimes they even get a reply from the administration.

It would be a good tactic if he didn't use it as another way to completely ignore the will of the people. Last few times the Q&A forum has come around, the top question on the site has always been regarding the war on drugs and potential legalization of marijuana. Each time Obama has given an offhand "Haha, potheads" sort of comment and then moved on without actually addressing one of the biggest issues in the country. Based on what I've seen, the petition site is a waste of time and has made people more angry with Obama than anything else.

At 1/23/12 02:34 PM, DickBuns wrote:
Implying that Obama will be re-elected after all the shit (and lack thereof) that his administration has done.

This isn't 4chan, fuckface.

My art gallery, because I'm better than you at things.

BBS Signature
RacistBassist
RacistBassist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to White House Petition For Mpaa Jan. 23rd, 2012 @ 02:54 PM Reply

Lol.

I always love when people pull the "Protests don't work, contacting your rep does"

All the cool kids have signature text

BBS Signature
All-American-Badass
All-American-Badass
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to White House Petition For Mpaa Jan. 23rd, 2012 @ 03:16 PM Reply

At 1/23/12 02:34 PM, DickBuns wrote: Implying that Obama will be re-elected after all the shit (and lack thereof) that his administration has done.

Depends on who the GOP nominates.

Bolo
Bolo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Blank Slate
Response to White House Petition For Mpaa Jan. 23rd, 2012 @ 05:04 PM Reply

At 1/23/12 02:47 PM, Rabid-Echidna wrote: It would be a good tactic if he didn't use it as another way to completely ignore the will of the people. Last few times the Q&A forum has come around, the top question on the site has always been regarding the war on drugs and potential legalization of marijuana. Each time Obama has given an offhand "Haha, potheads" sort of comment and then moved on without actually addressing one of the biggest issues in the country. Based on what I've seen, the petition site is a waste of time and has made people more angry with Obama than anything else.

I mean, what do you expect? Something to actually get done regarding marijuana/internet people concerns? The point of the website is not to get things done but to make internet people feel like they're getting things done. To that end, it's successful. People can say "I've done my part, maybe someday it will come to fruition," and then they can move on and think about things that matter more than getting high.

BBS Signature
g0t
g0t
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to White House Petition For Mpaa Jan. 23rd, 2012 @ 05:19 PM Reply

At 1/23/12 02:47 PM, Rabid-Echidna wrote: This isn't 4chan, fuckface.

Hey man where've you been?

Gooch for MOD 09'

BBS Signature
g0t
g0t
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to White House Petition For Mpaa Jan. 23rd, 2012 @ 05:21 PM Reply

I'd rather try than not try. So let all the bullshit come at me because honestly I know I'll never succeed 100% of the times I don't try. At least I'm willing to put myself out there and do it instead of just complaining when things don't go my way.

Gooch for MOD 09'

BBS Signature
NOTunowned
NOTunowned
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to White House Petition For Mpaa Jan. 23rd, 2012 @ 08:08 PM Reply

At 1/23/12 01:57 PM, g0t wrote:

should have participated in electing representives that don't support your little pirate bill that is a rare involvment in the political process because you're too busy watching football like the rest of the herd

g0t
g0t
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to White House Petition For Mpaa Jan. 23rd, 2012 @ 09:20 PM Reply

At 1/23/12 08:08 PM, NOTunowned wrote:
At 1/23/12 01:57 PM, g0t wrote:
should have participated in electing representives that don't support your little pirate bill that is a rare involvment in the political process because you're too busy watching football like the rest of the herd

What the shit are you talking about kid? Not only do I hate football but I do vote every single time. Reps, senators, governor, mayor. I voice my opinion because even if it's bullshit at least I'm trying. Instead why don't you learn a little about me before you make yourself look like a gigantic faggot retard.

Gooch for MOD 09'

BBS Signature
Light
Light
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Reader
Response to White House Petition For Mpaa Jan. 23rd, 2012 @ 09:33 PM Reply

At 1/23/12 09:26 PM, hiddeninthecrowd wrote:
At 1/23/12 02:34 PM, DickBuns wrote: Implying that Obama will be re-elected after all the shit (and lack thereof) that his administration has done.
Implying that it's in any way Obama's fault that our Congress is at a near 50/50 split of democrats and republicans

Actually, that's true. President Obama's faults in his term led to the Democrats sustaining huge losses in the House of Representatives and serious losses in the Senate.

Of course, these losses can also be attributed to the failure of the president to work effectively with Congress when it was dominated by Democrats.

BBS Signature
NOTunowned
NOTunowned
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to White House Petition For Mpaa Jan. 23rd, 2012 @ 09:37 PM Reply

At 1/23/12 09:20 PM, g0t wrote:
What the shit are you talking about kid?

what a lying child, every single time? are you even old enough? voting for shills you're not 'protesting' against

g0t
g0t
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to White House Petition For Mpaa Jan. 23rd, 2012 @ 10:12 PM Reply

At 1/23/12 09:37 PM, NOTunowned wrote:
At 1/23/12 09:20 PM, g0t wrote:
What the shit are you talking about kid?
what a lying child, every single time? are you even old enough? voting for shills you're not 'protesting' against

So after not having any information in your profile you accuse me of lying?

What's that? A troll I smell. This will be my last reply to you, because you're obviously too fucking stupid for eventhese forums.

Gooch for MOD 09'

BBS Signature
NOTunowned
NOTunowned
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to White House Petition For Mpaa Jan. 23rd, 2012 @ 10:17 PM Reply

theres a large gap between the signup date and now, so get some common sense with your bullshit claims you idiotic mongrel

how long is every time? not ever? just a little 'activist on the internet' sheepish moron who funds and supports those he is against when the rest of the cattle start complaining

scratch that, justice will be served from the all powerful whitehouse then you can go back to your idiot box

PowerRangerYELLOW
PowerRangerYELLOW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to White House Petition For Mpaa Jan. 24th, 2012 @ 01:28 AM Reply

HEY HEY MPAA HOW MANY MOVIES DID YOU CENSOR TODAY?!

White House Petition For Mpaa