Be a Supporter!
PoptheWeasel
PoptheWeasel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Hey im new 2012-01-22 16:43:59 Reply

I wanted to share a drawing I did with all of you so I posted it here. Hope you find it as humorous as I did. I recently got a wacom and I will be posting more drawings in the future if people like them. I am also planning on making a flash video based on this drawing; however it will take me some time to get used to all the flash and drawing software. The drawing was done in graphite pencil. Leave a comment, good or negative.

Hey im new

FrostDrive
FrostDrive
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Animator
Response to Hey im new 2012-01-22 18:57:49 Reply

Can't even read it.

PoptheWeasel
PoptheWeasel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Hey im new 2012-01-22 19:13:42 Reply

The" e" is flip and "a" is stylized on weasel. Also, I drew the letters in lightly so it wont detract from the main focal point.

bonkanailios
bonkanailios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Hey im new 2012-01-22 19:16:56 Reply

Read these

maficmelody
maficmelody
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Animator
Response to Hey im new 2012-01-22 19:57:44 Reply

Not entirely sure what I'm looking at.. perhaps a colored/painted version?

At 1/22/12 04:43 PM, PoptheWeasel wrote: Leave a comment, good or negative.
PoptheWeasel
PoptheWeasel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Hey im new 2012-01-22 21:53:00 Reply

At 1/22/12 07:57 PM, maficmelody wrote: Not entirely sure what I'm looking at.. perhaps a colored/painted version?

Sure, once i figure out how to use the software. A finger of a hand is slashing a finger of another hand. I threw NG tank under the thumb.The background letters say pop the weasel. Hope that helps though art should not be explained.

bigCman321
bigCman321
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Hey im new 2012-01-22 22:00:38 Reply

At 1/22/12 07:16 PM, bonkanailios wrote: Read these

Interesting, I might find these useful.

As for the drawing, it's interesting, and you have potential (I'm assuming you are quite young). You need to practice, and learn. Use references, etc. Listen to critique and don't take it personally.

PoptheWeasel
PoptheWeasel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Hey im new 2012-01-22 23:01:29 Reply

At 1/22/12 10:00 PM, bigCman321 wrote:

- i actually have these already. I got them when I was first looking for free resources. Loomis is entertaining but his books are outdated.

As for the drawing, it's interesting, and you have potential (I'm assuming you are quite young). You need to practice, and learn. Use references, etc. Listen to critique and don't take it personally.

-Glad you enjoyed it. As for age I am 20 and if the age in your profile is true that would mean I am older. Guess that makes us both young.

esko-man
esko-man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Hey im new 2012-01-22 23:39:57 Reply

At 1/22/12 11:01 PM, PoptheWeasel wrote: his books are outdated.

How exactly are his books outdated? They show you how to draw. That doesn't get outdated...

Lucky
Lucky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Animator
Response to Hey im new 2012-01-22 23:41:04 Reply

At 1/22/12 11:01 PM, PoptheWeasel wrote:
- i actually have these already. I got them when I was first looking for free resources. Loomis is entertaining but his books are outdated.

They're art books which teach the skills this drawing lacks including form, shape, construction, composition, dimension, perspective and many other things i can name missing off this picture. Go practice those

PoptheWeasel
PoptheWeasel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Hey im new 2012-01-23 00:20:34 Reply

Hows it outdated you ask. Andrew Loomis-The Eye of the Painter he stresses that outlnes do not belong in paintings. uhhmmm Picaso did this and hes respected, rightfully so.

They're art books which teach the skills this drawing lacks including form, shape,.... and many other things i can name missing off this picture. Go practice those. -Ha I concur buddy. I added details on the fingers to show depth in space. the surrounding subjects of those fingers are just outline with different subtle line widths so they can provide smoother viewing.These are a few examples you overlooked. True art breaks the rules. How about you get your head out of those books. Learning from experience is the key.
PoptheWeasel
PoptheWeasel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Hey im new 2012-01-23 00:23:54 Reply

At 1/22/12 11:41 PM, LuckyDesign wrote:
They're art books which teach the skills this drawing lacks including form, shape, construction, composition, dimension, perspective and many other things i can name missing off this picture. Go practice those

-Ha I concur buddy. I added details on the fingers to show depth in space. the surrounding subjects of those fingers are just outline with different subtle line widths so they can provide smoother viewing.These are a few examples you overlooked. True art breaks the rules. How about you get your head out of those books. Learning from experience is the key.

Lucky
Lucky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Animator
Response to Hey im new 2012-01-23 00:42:56 Reply

At 1/23/12 12:23 AM, PoptheWeasel wrote:
At 1/22/12 11:41 PM, LuckyDesign wrote:
-Ha I concur buddy. I added details on the fingers to show depth in space. the surrounding subjects of those fingers are just outline with different subtle line widths so they can provide smoother viewing.These are a few examples you overlooked. True art breaks the rules. How about you get your head out of those books. Learning from experience is the key.

Oh god I hope you're a troll, i'm telling you to use the books because you're not ready to experiment on your own yet because you lack on all the aspects i mentioned above. I've went to study these books in art schools a while ago, are you trying to defend this by attacking my own knowledge on these subjects? Fuck it this is a poor excuse for a drawing and you don't want criticism you just want praise. Well I've seen better comic artists in my high school so i'm not going to give you any praise until you spend the energy you took on defending the one 10 minute drawing to learn more on actually drawing.

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Hey im new 2012-01-23 00:47:55 Reply

At 1/23/12 12:20 AM, PoptheWeasel wrote: Hows it outdated you ask. Andrew Loomis-The Eye of the Painter he stresses that outlnes do not belong in paintings. uhhmmm Picaso did this and hes respected, rightfully so.

Picasso did that long before The Eye of the Painter was written.

And somehow I don't think that Loomis considered himself an authority on how to do abstract art.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
Daverom
Daverom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Hey im new 2012-01-23 00:50:00 Reply

In your quest for detail and and smooth viewing you drew the finger with the sword on backwards.
It also has extra lines coming from it which makes me think you just traced your hand and added details where you thought looked right.

PoptheWeasel
PoptheWeasel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Hey im new 2012-01-23 02:25:55 Reply

I have been to school for art as well that doesn't make me any better than someone who hasn't . I can care less about your praise, dude. I do care that people are responding. I don't like Loomis and that is my opinion i am sure you have yours. It does not matter how long a drawing takes by the way. And I did look at my hand, can i not use my hand as reference? its actually my right hand drawn twice. I switch to my left hand in the middle of the process. keep them post coming.

PigeonOnAStick
PigeonOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Art Lover
Response to Hey im new 2012-01-23 04:41:46 Reply

The first (well, last) thing I noticed about the pic is the text in the background, which I think could do with some reworking.

Whilst they're the same height, the characters have different weights: The O and the L are FAT, but there's no reason why they should be more pronounced than the other letters. I find the majority of the characters have wonky outlines, too. I think some of the other letters, such as the P, the T and the stylised e's would appreciate widening up.

The letters could also do with some spacing apart, rather than as a tightly packed clump, to improve legibility, especially if you're planning on adding any values to the pic. Also, whilst I understand there are some instances where you would want the picture overlapping text, the W is covered up by the focal point of the image. If the L became a less dominating presence in the pic, you could afford to move "Weasel" out of that central melee.

Central image: it's up to you if you don't want to use Loomis.
The tank being held under the thumb doesn't add anything to the overall pic, however, and its shape looks a bit dodgy. The darker outlines around the two index fingers looks mostly messy rather than stylish.

Do these 2 hands belong to the same person?

BBS Signature
PoptheWeasel
PoptheWeasel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Hey im new 2012-01-23 22:32:11 Reply

Those are some good points pigeon. I agree that the word weasel is in a tough spot and I chose it to be there specificaly. I apreciate you taking the time to write criticaly. On another note, Im currently watching my own pic in a different computer and I see that its hard to make out the image. I originaly edited the image in photoshop to show more contrast but for some reason its being displayed as my unedited one. Ohh well, i have no regrets.

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Hey im new 2012-01-23 22:43:25 Reply

Why is the finger backwards?

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature