Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
media bias? UCLA thinks so. Jan. 21st, 2012 @ 09:15 AM Reply

linky

A study by the University of California has found that the media is indeed biased to the left. however, the media outlets as a whole are not as extreme as the politicians in congress about their left or right leanings.

Of the 20 major media outlets studied, 18 scored left of center, with CBS' "Evening News," The New York Times and the Los Angeles Times ranking second, third and fourth most liberal behind the news pages of The Wall Street Journal.

CBS? Liberal? get outta town! no one would have guessed THAT (end sarcasm)

Only Fox News' "Special Report With Brit Hume" and The Washington Times scored right of the average U.S. voter.

Funny part is, people blast Fox News for being "biased" when 18 others are also biased, but in the way they WANT them to be biased.

The most centrist outlet proved to be the "NewsHour With Jim Lehrer." CNN's "NewsNight With Aaron Brown" and ABC's "Good Morning America" were a close second and third.

I never really thought of Good Morning America to be a news show, but I suppose it is.

The fourth most centrist outlet was "Special Report With Brit Hume" on Fox News, which often is cited by liberals as an egregious example of a right-wing outlet. While this news program proved to be right of center, the study found ABC's "World News Tonight" and NBC's "Nightly News" to be left of center. All three outlets were approximately equidistant from the center, the report found.

This comes as a bit of a sting to those who scream about "Faux news durr hurr hurr" being blatantly right biased Even if it is slightly right, its more center than some of the more celebrated networks.

Of course, they leave out the political commentators from the project, who are, by nature leaning one way or another and will do their damnedest to convince you to lean with them. Which is great because they're not news anchors, they're there to comment and piss people off.

I'm not crazy, everyone else is.

thegarbear14
thegarbear14
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to media bias? UCLA thinks so. Jan. 21st, 2012 @ 10:29 AM Reply

i've noticed people only go BIASED BIASED HURR DURR if it disagrees with them...and i've never used fox/cbs...etc... for info

BBS Signature
SteveGuzzi
SteveGuzzi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Writer
Response to media bias? UCLA thinks so. Jan. 21st, 2012 @ 11:53 AM Reply

At 1/21/12 09:15 AM, Korriken wrote: Of the 20 major media outlets studied, 18 scored left of center

well, reality does have a well-known liberal bias.

anyway, the way they describe the methodology makes it sounds like reporting on 'liberal' news is equivalent to supporting a liberal political agenda (what most people probably think when they hear the phrase 'liberal bias'). they talk about how the Drudge Report is generally perceived by people to be a conservative source, but then go on to say that their stats indicate they actually lean left? so does that mean that by posting an article about some 'liberal' tidbit (even if the aim is to inform a conservative base about something they wouldn't support) pushes them further into 'liberal bias' territory? it seems like they're conflating 'reporting' with 'supporting'.

since citing the actions of a political organization or policy group doesn't necessarily mean you approve of those actions, this whole things strikes me as misrepresenting the functional definition of "bias". the way i would interpret their study's results is that 18 of 20 organizations are just reporting what's out there while the other 2 would rather stick their heads in the sand with regard to certain things.

as an aside this whole left/right liberal/conservative finger-pointing bullshit is funny to me. what was considered radical/liberal/progressive a few decades ago would be considered moderate in present times. the 'center' isn't some static marker, it's constantly shifting.

this smacks of a tunnel-vision-like misapplication of statistical analysis. but hey maybe that's just me.

BBS Signature
Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to media bias? UCLA thinks so. Jan. 21st, 2012 @ 12:32 PM Reply

At 1/21/12 11:53 AM, SteveGuzzi wrote:
well, reality does have a well-known liberal bias.

only if you want it to.

other stuff

you do know that news corporations pick and choose what to report on, right? here's an example. Did you see anything in the news about Obama possibly cheating on his wife? of course not. Did it happen? not relevant. there was a rumor a couple of years ago. the news corporations (except the tabloids) completely ignored it. How about the news about Obama's huge halloween party in 2009 with Tim Burton? no? well, perhaps, the Huffington Post did put an article about it. The media wasn't frothing at the mouth, demanding answers as to "why Obama threw such a party in the middle of a huge recession" or asking whether or not tax dollars were spent to have this party. Personally, I don't know if they used tax money or not. I would hope not. I would hope Obama pulled out his own wallet, in that case, it'd be fine by me, do what you want with your own money.

However, Newt Gingrich's ex wife speaks up, they drool all over every detail and make sure that every word she spoke was well documented and ran the hell out of the article.

your bias depends on what you report, not necessarily what you support. or more accurately, it depends on what you ignore.. if you can ignore it that is. some things like the Anthony Wiener scandal was too big to ignore.

SteveGuzzi
SteveGuzzi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Writer
Response to media bias? UCLA thinks so. Jan. 21st, 2012 @ 01:49 PM Reply

At 1/21/12 12:32 PM, Korriken wrote: you do know that news corporations pick and choose what to report on, right?

hhwwwwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaat!!!!???? that happens!?

here's an example. Did you see anything in the news about Obama possibly cheating on his wife? of course not. Did it happen? not relevant. there was a rumor a couple of years ago. the news corporations (except the tabloids) completely ignored it.
[...]
However, Newt Gingrich's ex wife speaks up, they drool all over every detail and make sure that every word she spoke was well documented and ran the hell out of the article.

so you're saying a *rumor* about Obama possibly cheating on his wife is equally as newsworthy as Newt Gingrich's *real* history of divorcing sick wives whilst running on a platform of conservative 'family values'? i mean... are you saying those stories really deserve equal time and attention? you're not suggesting that tabloids are equally as credible as other sources of news, are you?

whether it happened or not isn't relevant to tabloids, but whether something is true or not generally IS relevant to organizations that have a desire to report on what's actually out there. Gingrich's spousal history isn't some tabloid rumor, it's fact recorded in the public record. if Obama ran on a platform of conservative family values, "defending marriage", blah blah blah et cetera et cetera and then was actually found to have mistresses all over the country then i'm sure the media would have a field day with it.

your bias depends on what you report, not necessarily what you support. or more accurately, it depends on what you ignore.. if you can ignore it that is.

that's pretty close to suggesting something like, the coverage of SOPA/PIPA means that news organizations are biased in favor towards SOPA/PIPA. when people talk about 'bias' it's usually in the context of supporting something versus not supporting something. i don't think trying to re-characterize it as something else helps the dialogue at all.

i understand that news organizations can't report on EVERYTHING happening and must pick and choose what to air, and that bias can show up in what they choose to ignore. that 10% of the top news organizations are consider right-leaning whereas the majority of them aren't... makes them about as atypical as gay people and the left-handed.

BBS Signature
Iron-Hampster
Iron-Hampster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to media bias? UCLA thinks so. Jan. 21st, 2012 @ 03:01 PM Reply

the one thing they all collectively have in common is that they are all pro establishment and Authoritarian.

ya hear about the guy who put his condom on backwards? He went.

BBS Signature
ohbombuh
ohbombuh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to media bias? UCLA thinks so. Jan. 21st, 2012 @ 03:32 PM Reply

At 1/21/12 01:49 PM, SteveGuzzi wrote: so you're saying a *rumor* about Obama possibly cheating on his wife is equally as newsworthy as Newt Gingrich's *real* history of divorcing sick wives whilst running on a platform of conservative 'family values'?

How about Obama saying he'd close Guantanamo, changing his mind, and getting less media criticism than Bush about it?

The simple fact is that some people will never be happy, no matter how good their lives are.

BBS Signature
J1993
J1993
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to media bias? UCLA thinks so. Jan. 21st, 2012 @ 03:53 PM Reply

It doesnt help that other studies have shown agencies like FOX actually make you less well informed than people that dont pay attention to the news on the basis of knowledge of world events- stuff they made up to insult the dems.
That said that anyone considers the Democrats to be left wing is laughable being that they are primarily classical liberals and they only differ from the Republicans in terms of social conservatism at least to any significant level with both parties supporting a broadly neo-liberal economic policy which is what people who describe themselves as fiscal conservatives actually mean, they just dont want to put the word liberal into the equation.

SteveGuzzi
SteveGuzzi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Writer
Response to media bias? UCLA thinks so. Jan. 21st, 2012 @ 04:03 PM Reply

At 1/21/12 03:32 PM, ohbombuh wrote: How about Obama saying he'd close Guantanamo, changing his mind, and getting less media criticism than Bush about it?

now that is a much better example than the tabloid crap that Korriken mentioned. i've seen some media criticism regarding that reversal but not nearly as much as it deserves.

BBS Signature
X-Gary-Gigax-X
X-Gary-Gigax-X
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Art Lover
Response to media bias? UCLA thinks so. Jan. 22nd, 2012 @ 03:20 PM Reply

We've known this for years. Hell, media bias towards progressivism has had a presence in the US since Woodrow Wilson "suggested" that academia and news corporations merge, usually without the latters knowing. This bastard child produced the modern socalled mainstream media. It's actually always been as bad as it is today. The new York times ran positive press for the third reich, but only until they attacked their buddies in the USSR. Then they had mixed feelings.

BBS Signature
J1993
J1993
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to media bias? UCLA thinks so. Jan. 22nd, 2012 @ 07:28 PM Reply

At 1/22/12 03:20 PM, X-Gary-Gigax-X wrote: We've known this for years. Hell, media bias towards progressivism has had a presence in the US since Woodrow Wilson "suggested" that academia and news corporations merge, usually without the latters knowing. This bastard child produced the modern socalled mainstream media. It's actually always been as bad as it is today. The new York times ran positive press for the third reich, but only until they attacked their buddies in the USSR. Then they had mixed feelings.

You realise that the Third Reich was extremely reactionary dont you which is to say well beyond mere conservatism. Additionally anybody who doesnt deplore what the Nazis did in Russia are arseholes you can hardly write off 27 million dead can you. The biggest news corparations are also centrist at most with ones like FOX on the loony right fringe and only relevant due to greater financial backing.

VenomKing666
VenomKing666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to media bias? UCLA thinks so. Jan. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:17 PM Reply

American political parties are so leaning to the right everything would look leftist by comparison.

djack
djack
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to media bias? UCLA thinks so. Jan. 22nd, 2012 @ 09:44 PM Reply

At 1/22/12 08:17 PM, VenomKing666 wrote: American political parties are so leaning to the right everything would look leftist by comparison.

The ranking is based on a rating system meant to measure how far left or right a politician is with 100 being extreme left 0 being extreme right and 50.1 being the center as well as the average rating for most Americans.

At 1/22/12 07:28 PM, J1993 wrote: The biggest news corparations are also centrist at most with ones like FOX on the loony right fringe and only relevant due to greater financial backing.

Did you even read the article? There are two news organizations roughly equidistant from the center as Fox News with Fox ranking at about 4th most centrist out of 20 major media corporations.

J1993
J1993
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to media bias? UCLA thinks so. Jan. 23rd, 2012 @ 10:24 AM Reply

At 1/22/12 09:44 PM, djack wrote:
At 1/22/12 08:17 PM, VenomKing666 wrote: American political parties are so leaning to the right everything would look leftist by comparison.
The ranking is based on a rating system meant to measure how far left or right a politician is with 100 being extreme left 0 being extreme right and 50.1 being the center as well as the average rating for most Americans.

At 1/22/12 07:28 PM, J1993 wrote: The biggest news corparations are also centrist at most with ones like FOX on the loony right fringe and only relevant due to greater financial backing.
Did you even read the article? There are two news organizations roughly equidistant from the center as Fox News with Fox ranking at about 4th most centrist out of 20 major media corporations.

Yeah but it all looks daft from a European perspective as your idea of centre would be centre right at least to most of us and your idea of left barely scrapes into our centre. In other words the ones you said were equidistant from the centre to FOX would be at most centrist by European standards.

J1993
J1993
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to media bias? UCLA thinks so. Jan. 23rd, 2012 @ 10:26 AM Reply

Besides is 50.1 the mean or mode as if its the mean that makes it the expected argument assuming the entire country doesnt agree with one person.

VenomKing666
VenomKing666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to media bias? UCLA thinks so. Jan. 23rd, 2012 @ 02:33 PM Reply

At 1/22/12 09:44 PM, djack wrote:

Wow, shameless republican propaganda is the 4th most centrist?

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to media bias? UCLA thinks so. Jan. 23rd, 2012 @ 03:13 PM Reply

At 1/23/12 02:33 PM, VenomKing666 wrote:

yep and its one of the very few republican propaganda machines, meaning there are democrat propaganda machines that are MUCH worse.

J1993
J1993
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to media bias? UCLA thinks so. Jan. 23rd, 2012 @ 03:36 PM Reply

At 1/23/12 03:13 PM, Korriken wrote:
At 1/23/12 02:33 PM, VenomKing666 wrote:
yep and its one of the very few republican propaganda machines, meaning there are democrat propaganda machines that are MUCH worse.

There may well be more of them but at least they dont produce outright lies or abuse guests (I present Bill O'Reily as evidence of this), seriously watching FOX has beenshown to make you less well informed it would be like if the Daily Mail had a TV station here.

djack
djack
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to media bias? UCLA thinks so. Jan. 23rd, 2012 @ 03:59 PM Reply

At 1/23/12 03:36 PM, J1993 wrote: There may well be more of them but at least they don't produce outright lies or abuse guests (I present Bill O'Reily as evidence of this), seriously watching FOX has been shown to make you less well informed it would be like if the Daily Mail had a TV station here.

It isn't just Fox. Every news station makes up "facts" and leaves out parts of the story so that they can give it their own spin and there are 2 news outlets on the left that will leave you equally uninformed as Fox and about 14 major news corporations that will leave you less informed than Fox. The only reason Fox gets so much crap is because it is one of the few news stations that falls right of center and people prefer to be part of the crowd so they make fun of those in the minority. Did you watch the debates before the South Carolina primary? While both Fox and CNN gave little attention to Ron Paul but at least Fox regularly asked him questions while CNN outright ignored Paul until the crowd started booing the moderators. The media likes to control how people perceive a story and both sides are guilty of leaving out details but, as the study showed, in the grand scale of it all Fox is far from the worst offender.

dontpanic01
dontpanic01
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to media bias? UCLA thinks so. Jan. 23rd, 2012 @ 07:06 PM Reply

tl; dr

money bias = corporation bias = media bias

apparently I'm clever enough to declare myself as a dumbass

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to media bias? UCLA thinks so. Jan. 23rd, 2012 @ 09:02 PM Reply

At 1/23/12 07:16 PM, RightWingGamer wrote: The mainstream media is liberally biased!? WHAT!? Next you'll be telling me grass is green and bricks are heavy.

The meanstream media is about as liberal as I am tall. Sure I'm 6 feet tall, but the way the Right puts it, I might as well be 7'6"...

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to media bias? UCLA thinks so. Jan. 23rd, 2012 @ 09:33 PM Reply

At 1/23/12 09:20 PM, RightWingGamer wrote: And most of them ARE merely 6 feet tall, but don't you think the ones which are 12'8" drive the average up a bit?

Which ones specifically?

SmilezRoyale
SmilezRoyale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to media bias? UCLA thinks so. Jan. 23rd, 2012 @ 09:42 PM Reply

Journalists are predominantly left leaning because people who enter into journalist careers were left leaning before getting that education. And I'm certain that the brain chemistry that effects political dispositions likely also affects career dispositions.

Now imagine if 80% of all people in journalism are ALREADY liberals or leftists or whatever you want to call them. Trying to achieve a parity between the size of the right and left wing media would necessitate a very heavy level of affirmative action, quotas and what not. Economically it would require paying right wing journalists more because there are that much fewer of them.

Now when I say "left wing" I should really say 'democrat' - referring to the democratic party, much of the mainstream so-called right wing establishment is also left wing; simply to a lesser extent.

I'm not going to claim that that is the single decisive reason why the media is the way it is, but i do believe of the many reasons, this reason has at least a plurality.

On a moving train there are no centrists, only radicals and reactionaries.

J1993
J1993
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to media bias? UCLA thinks so. Jan. 24th, 2012 @ 08:43 AM Reply

At 1/23/12 03:59 PM, djack wrote:
At 1/23/12 03:36 PM, J1993 wrote:
It isn't just Fox. Every news station makes up "facts" and leaves out parts of the story so that they can give it their own spin and there are 2 news outlets on the left that will leave you equally uninformed as Fox and about 14 major news corporations that will leave you less informed than Fox. The only reason Fox gets so much crap is because it is one of the few news stations that falls right of center and people prefer to be part of the crowd so they make fun of those in the minority. Did you watch the debates before the South Carolina primary? While both Fox and CNN gave little attention to Ron Paul but at least Fox regularly asked him questions while CNN outright ignored Paul until the crowd started booing the moderators. The media likes to control how people perceive a story and both sides are guilty of leaving out details but, as the study showed, in the grand scale of it all Fox is far from the worst offender.

FOX centrist? Seriously they are about as centrist as the moon is made of cheese, hell next youll be telling me Anne Coulter is a raging lefty and that the Pope is Amish. Besides Ron Paul appears to be fairly moderate compared to some of the people they are actually paying attention to.

djack
djack
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to media bias? UCLA thinks so. Jan. 24th, 2012 @ 02:44 PM Reply

At 1/24/12 08:43 AM, J1993 wrote: FOX centrist? Seriously they are about as centrist as the moon is made of cheese, hell next youll be telling me Anne Coulter is a raging lefty and that the Pope is Amish. Besides Ron Paul appears to be fairly moderate compared to some of the people they are actually paying attention to.

If you're not going to fully read the article or the posts you're responding to just stop replying. Had you read either you'd have seen that there are many leftist media groups that are more biased than Fox and that the purpose of pointing how they treated Ron Paul was to show that even groups like CNN that most people consider to be a reliable centrist news source are not only willing to manipulate the facts but are willing to go to greater extremes than Fox in doing so. Maybe you're not from the U.S. and to you there's nothing on Earth farther right than Fox, or maybe you're just a raging asshole that doesn't want to accept that there could be something that doesn't support you're preconceived notions about the world but either way this is a study that measured how centrist different media groups are in relation to American politics and by that standard Fox is the fourth most centrist out of 20 major media corporations. Learn to deal with it.

VenomKing666
VenomKing666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to media bias? UCLA thinks so. Jan. 24th, 2012 @ 03:53 PM Reply

At 1/23/12 03:36 PM, J1993 wrote:
There may well be more of them but at least they dont produce outright lies or abuse guests (I present Bill O'Reily as evidence of this), seriously watching FOX has beenshown to make you less well informed it would be like if the Daily Mail had a TV station here.

While there may be more leftist news outlet out there, no one is propaganda on the level fox news is. Propaganda used to be a term that didn't have a negative connotation, when it came out. It's based on the philosophy that humans can be influenced that started with the media and publicity and stuff. So technically every news message can be called "propaganda".

But Fox News is propaganda in the harders and sharpest sense of the word. Pure, distilled shameless propaganda lousyly camouflaged as news.

Scariest thing is that many people watch it.

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to media bias? UCLA thinks so. Jan. 24th, 2012 @ 05:48 PM Reply

At 1/24/12 03:53 PM, VenomKing666 wrote:
But Fox News is propaganda in the harders and sharpest sense of the word. Pure, distilled shameless propaganda lousyly camouflaged as news.

and now you get to prove it... without using leftist blogs and youtube channels (thats not, no young turks).

good luck proving that fox is a bigger propaganda machine than all the left leaning news corporations.

BenjaminTibbetts
BenjaminTibbetts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to media bias? UCLA thinks so. Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 07:55 PM Reply

It may be that television news is inherently bias by virtue of what is excluded.

BBS Signature
SansNumbers
SansNumbers
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to media bias? UCLA thinks so. Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 10:12 PM Reply

At 2 weeks ago, Korriken wrote: A study by the University of California has found that the media is indeed biased to the left.

Political bias will always exist. The little amount of TV I watch does actually seem to be like this, since the more conservative news channels like FOX tend to be laughed at by the majority.

Fly me to the moon
Let me play among the stars

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to media bias? UCLA thinks so. Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 10:47 PM Reply

At 32 minutes ago, SansNumbers wrote:
At 2 weeks ago, Korriken wrote: A study by the University of California has found that the media is indeed biased to the left.
Political bias will always exist. The little amount of TV I watch does actually seem to be like this, since the more conservative news channels like FOX tend to be laughed at by the majority.

wait, what?