00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Cody1993 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What books should I read fellas!!!

2,849 Views | 39 Replies

chuck me in some books newgrounds!

I have already read:

-The God Delusion
-The Selfish Gene
-The Greatest Show on Earth
-The DaVinci code
-Les Miserables
-It takes a village
-Great Expectations
-Atlas Shrugged
-Brave New World
-A confederacy of Dunces
-The catcher in the Rye
-Animal farm
-Of Mice and Men

Any more I should read? And NO I will not read Harry Potter, that book is for uneducated people (I wouldn't even force my children to read that travesty of a book series!)

wats up

Response to What books should I read fellas!!! 2012-01-17 06:00:58

Harry Potter is a wonderful book series. I understand if you have no wish to read the books, thats fine, but I reject your notion that the books are for uneducated people and unfit for children. It's actually a wonderful series of books to get children to read, because they find the story so engaging and want to finish them. And thats a good thing.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to What books should I read fellas!!! 2012-01-17 06:03:18

At 1/17/12 06:00 AM, Gagsy wrote: Harry Potter is a wonderful book series. I understand if you have no wish to read the books, thats fine, but I reject your notion that the books are for uneducated people and unfit for children. It's actually a wonderful series of books to get children to read, because they find the story so engaging and want to finish them. And thats a good thing.

I believe that you believe they are a good book series and I have no problem with people like you reading the books and enjoying them but its undeniable that the Harry Potter books are bad books, but hey, if you want to enjoy bad books that's up to you, us more intellectual readers will just read better books.

wats up

Response to What books should I read fellas!!! 2012-01-17 06:06:17

At 1/17/12 06:03 AM, Socratius wrote:
Ius more intellectual readers will just read better books.

Big books for big egos? I'll leave you to it then.

BBS Signature

Response to What books should I read fellas!!! 2012-01-17 06:06:39

I believe that you believe they are a good book series and I have no problem with people like you reading the books and enjoying them but its undeniable that the Harry Potter books are bad books, but hey, if you want to enjoy bad books that's up to you, us more intellectual readers will just read better books.

You have "The Da Vinci Code" on your list and are calling yourself an intellectual reader?

BBS Signature

Response to What books should I read fellas!!! 2012-01-17 06:10:26

At 1/17/12 06:06 AM, SaltshakerClock wrote:
You have "The Da Vinci Code" on your list and are calling yourself an intellectual reader?

Yes, I believe I clearly did. I pity you for not reading the greats that I have read. Maybe in time you'll stop reading your tripe like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings (such a silly and unrealistic book) and actually read some of the books on my list.

wats up

Response to What books should I read fellas!!! 2012-01-17 06:11:42

I apologize Newgrounds I forgot to add 'Hamlet and everything Shakespeare' to my list, I once went to Europe and saw a series of Shakespeare plays, I loved it.

wats up

Response to What books should I read fellas!!! 2012-01-17 06:15:57

For you, I'd recommend Twilight.

Response to What books should I read fellas!!! 2012-01-17 06:22:41

You're an obnoxious prick. You don't ask someone for their suggestion and then insult their intelligence by shitting on their views. Take this as a pro tip and realize that if you act like that to enough people, someone's going to kick your impolite ass.

However, I would say that Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five is a book that's worth reading.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to What books should I read fellas!!! 2012-01-17 06:25:22

At 1/17/12 06:22 AM, ZJ wrote: You're an obnoxious prick. You don't ask someone for their suggestion and then insult their intelligence by shitting on their views. Take this as a pro tip and realize that if you act like that to enough people, someone's going to kick your impolite ass.

However, I would say that Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five is a book that's worth reading.

You are calling me impolite? I am one of the most polite and well mannered members of this forum, I think you are acting very savage and impolite yourself. I was only giving advice.

wats up

Response to What books should I read fellas!!! 2012-01-17 06:26:50

lol u guise are feeding the trolls

also, i highly recommend reading NOTES FROM UNDERGROUND

shit is hilarious sad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notes_from_
Underground

BBS Signature

Response to What books should I read fellas!!! 2012-01-17 06:27:06

I'm gonna assume OP is a pseudo-philosophical troll.

But to stay on topic, I highly recommend you read "Candide" by Voltaire.

Sig made by "CagedSilouette" I Gamertag: DOC oSPADEo I Facebook l VV CLICK THE SIG VV

BBS Signature

Response to What books should I read fellas!!! 2012-01-17 06:38:10

oh also, if you're looking for intellectual buttz these then read as well

the stranger - albert camus (provide a great introduction into understanding core concepts in existentialism)
the art of loving - erich fromm (social psychological theories on love; love is an art that we practice and something we become better at overtime. similar to how a painter becomes a better painter through practice.)
on becoming a person - carl rogers (psyhological theories and ideas of what it means to become a person) -- If youre a fan of kieerkgaard and/or existentialism and have wanted to see it fused with science you'll love the balls out of this one! he also goes over what types of characteristics a "fully therapized" person has.)
animal liberation - peter singer (pushing boundaries of what it means to be equal towards other sentient beings; his theory of speciesism is a bit much but, INTERESTING nonetheless)
vagina monologues - eve ensler (understand the perceptions of women through understanding their vaginas and increase your odds of getting laid boy; seriously, i truly recommend reading this one if you want to have a relationship with an actual intelligent women LOL; it's also a great book thats basically like a cursory overlook of feminist theory)

BBS Signature

Response to What books should I read fellas!!! 2012-01-17 07:04:53

a classy guy like yourself should read some miguel serrano

G O D - B L E S S - A F R I C A

LAST.FM

CROWNED CHAMPION OF "FAPITUDE" BY BEARDKILLER

BBS Signature

Response to What books should I read fellas!!! 2012-01-17 07:10:02

Here you go:

- "Missing Links: In Search of Human Origins" by John Reader
- "Grand Design" by Stephen Hawking
- "In Search Of Schrodinger's Cat" by John Gribbin
- "The Extended Phenotype" by Richard Dawkins
- "Giant Molecules" by Walter Gratzer
- "The God Impulse" by Kevin Nelson
- "Cosmos" byCarl Sagan
- "Why Evolution is True" by Jerry A. Coyne

Response to What books should I read fellas!!! 2012-01-17 07:34:48

Harry Potter is an amazing series!!! I actually started reading those books when I was 12 all the way up to 19. It actually helped me with my vocabulary as well!

Response to What books should I read fellas!!! 2012-01-17 08:28:42

Das Kapital.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to What books should I read fellas!!! 2012-01-17 08:52:30

Just some of my personal favourites.

. American Psycho
. jPod
. The Dark Tower series (consisting of seven books and a couple of prequel comic book novels)
. The Girl With Dragon Tattoo as you English speaking fellas have renamed it.
. Watchmen (but since it's a comic book novel it might not count)
. A Clock Work Orange
. The Hobbit (I haven't read the Lord of the ring trilogy but you should give them a go any way)
. The Hitch hiker's guide to galaxy novels

and maybe more but can't of them right now.

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature

Response to What books should I read fellas!!! 2012-01-17 08:53:44

I really enjoyed Green Eggs and Ham. That's about all my attention span can handle.

BBS Signature

Response to What books should I read fellas!!! 2012-01-17 08:55:09

At 1/17/12 08:52 AM, Mismo wrote:
. jPod

Wow I never knew anyone else who read that book. I have to admit the reason I originally got it was because of the eye catching lego like book cover figures, but it was rather good. I haven't read it in years.

BBS Signature

Response to What books should I read fellas!!! 2012-01-17 08:55:12

Steinbeck, in published order.

Response to What books should I read fellas!!! 2012-01-17 09:16:10

My book reading seems to go in cycles that are somewhat progressive: Autobiographies of Rock Stars, autobiographies from former Islamist extremists or victims, autobiographies of Soldiers serving in various wars, athiestic reading along the Dawkins and co line, books based on the lives and history of North Korea and presently i'm still forcing my way through the Qur'ran but its a highly tedious read - I can't say im enjoying the experience but it is giving some insight into the Islamic religion

I can't stand straight forward fiction these days. The only book I've enjoyed lately which could be termed as fiction was "Nothing to Envy" by Barbara Demick. She's an American reporter based in Seoul that over a period of years interviewed North Korean defectors. The book follows the lives of characters she has created based on the folk she interviewed, the names are changed for safety reasons and although not written in the perspective of a personal account the book is the best chance anyone will get of getting accurate insight into life in North Korea from the start to after the great famines.

The Rock Autobiographies are good fun. I wouldnt believe the stories unless it was from a rockstar, my personal favourites are Ozzie Osborne, Keith Richards and Steve Adler (Who is a massive fuckup of a human being). The Eric Clapton autobiography is also worth a shout if your a fan of his music.

BBS Signature

Response to What books should I read fellas!!! 2012-01-17 09:27:04

I refuse to believe the OP is serious so I will laugh instead.

Also read A Song of Ice And Fire (the book series)

Response to What books should I read fellas!!! 2012-01-17 09:30:20

At 1/17/12 09:27 AM, jeremyCOOL wrote: I refuse to believe the OP is serious so I will laugh instead.

Also read A Song of Ice And Fire (the book series)

Is this series worth the investment, or just another pat on the shoulder for the Harry Potter generation.

Response to What books should I read fellas!!! 2012-01-17 10:03:15

Cosmos
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (I'm still currently reading it myself but it is very good thus far)
Trainspotting
Haunted
Fight Club
Rendezvous With Rama

Response to What books should I read fellas!!! 2012-01-17 10:58:55

I will not suggest books. I know of a few great books. But they are unfit for you. The books you have read are indeed intelligent, but they also show that you are incapable of absorbing knowledge unless it is handed to you directly. You fail to see the knowledge in the various novels that have been spread among the crowds. You define the modern intellectual--an arrogant, egotistical maniac. One who propels himself farther than what he is.

Response to What books should I read fellas!!! 2012-01-17 11:02:36

At 1/17/12 05:55 AM, Socratius wrote: -Atlas Shrugged

I was going to recommend that, if only because you would never get done reading it. Seeing as how you did, I recommend "War And Peace" or "The Bible".

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to What books should I read fellas!!! 2012-01-17 11:06:22

At 1/17/12 11:02 AM, Ejit wrote: He is joking
You seem unfortunately sincere
Arrogant and egotistical eh

No my friend, it's all a joke. In the end, you can only take things for what they are.

Response to What books should I read fellas!!! 2012-01-17 11:24:20

Learn some finnish and read
Pussikalja-romaani (Beers in a park-novel) by Mikko Rimminen,
that would show REAL intelligence from you.

Sry for translation, idk if there even is an english expression for that..
The book tells 'bout how three guys in Finland, in Helsinki, in ("most urban" part of the town) Kallio, spends 24h....
Doesn't sound much, but is hilarious as hell and best book I've ever read, and I have read a God Delusion too, though you can't possibly compare them but anyway.. :D

Response to What books should I read fellas!!! 2012-01-17 12:19:37

At 1/17/12 11:06 AM, The-Last-Guardian wrote:
At 1/17/12 11:02 AM, Ejit wrote: He is joking
You seem unfortunately sincere
Arrogant and egotistical eh
No my friend, it's all a joke. In the end, you can only take things for what they are.

In the end, ejit was the audience that took the sitcom too literal and made sure one of the actors of the sitcom knew the sitcom was just a sitcom.

BBS Signature