New Topic Respond to this Topic
bigCman321
bigCman321
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
bigCman's Art Thread Jan. 15th, 2012 @ 09:31 PM Reply

Hey, I'm pretty new to digital painting. I recently got an iPad about 2-3 weeks ago and I've been whipping up the occasional picture since. I try to get better with each one I take my time on.

I made another thread but the title "New Here" doesn't really attract much attention. I guess this is the place where I post my art and you guys give your opinions, crits, etc. Also, any suggestions would be cool.

This one is my latest painting. I don't know if I'm really done with it, I always keeps coming back to make edits and changes on these.

I'll post more some of my older stuff soon, and anything new that I paint here.

bigCman's Art Thread

TwistedXP
TwistedXP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to bigCman's Art Thread Jan. 15th, 2012 @ 11:09 PM Reply

This isn't to bad. The biggest thing i notice is the the flow of the hair and the reflections are lacking. I say work on making those a little more realistic, it will add allot to you pictures. Other then that maybe try to so a little more motion. I think those would greatly improve your already pretty good art.

BBS Signature
bigCman321
bigCman321
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to bigCman's Art Thread Jan. 16th, 2012 @ 08:18 PM Reply

At 1/15/12 11:09 PM, TwistedXP wrote: This isn't to bad. The biggest thing i notice is the the flow of the hair and the reflections are lacking. I say work on making those a little more realistic, it will add allot to you pictures. Other then that maybe try to so a little more motion. I think those would greatly improve your already pretty good art.

Hm, I'll try adding more shine to the hair, and maybe working on it some more. Now when you said the reflections are lacking did you mean on everything? Also, I plan on trying out some action poses in the future. Honestly this was originally just a sketch that I was trying to submit to a group on deviantart, they told me I needed to do more with it and I went a bit overboard. Better poses will hopefully come from actually looking at a reference.

Thanks for an honest crit.

This next pic is actually something I'm not finished with yet. I didn't use any references or anything. Any suggestions for good backgrounds or colors that might look good etc.

bigCman's Art Thread

bigCman321
bigCman321
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to bigCman's Art Thread Jan. 16th, 2012 @ 09:09 PM Reply

I guess I'll post more of my recent stuff. I recently got an iPad 2 which I'm using to do digital painting. I'm pretty new to this, and all my stuff mostly just me trying different things for fun.

bigCman's Art Thread

bigCman321
bigCman321
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to bigCman's Art Thread Jan. 17th, 2012 @ 02:42 PM Reply

At 1/17/12 05:09 AM, Larkatosa wrote: I am not a fan of your coloring. Try to make a compact shape with the pen tool and then shade using a slightly transparent brush.

I have no idea how an Ipad works, heh.

Don't shade/highlight with white and black. Use a darker/lighter shade of the color you are using. Then when you understand how it works you can start using other colors to shade with.

Try defining details more and use better colors. Light source, for example, in the picture with the samurai there is a full moon behind him. This should make thin white lines glistering on the sword, since metal reflect light heavily. There should also be white highlights coming from behind.

You could also be in the use of texture. But I would wait with that until you have improved your coloring.

That is all the advice I have to give right now. Good luck! :)

I made some changes to the Samurai picture. Like I said I'm pretty new to coloring, I'm experimenting right now. I think it looks a lot better with the hints of white light. Also made the moon seem to glow now.

bigCman's Art Thread

bigCman321
bigCman321
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to bigCman's Art Thread Jan. 17th, 2012 @ 02:59 PM Reply

Also messed around with the hair on the first picture. Not quite happy with it yet. Ugh, wish I had more time. On my next pictures I'll try doing my coloring differently.

bigCman's Art Thread

bigCman321
bigCman321
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to bigCman's Art Thread Jan. 17th, 2012 @ 03:33 PM Reply

It's a shame we can't edit posts, made a tiny change on the samurai picture.

bigCman's Art Thread

bigCman321
bigCman321
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to bigCman's Art Thread Jan. 17th, 2012 @ 03:39 PM Reply

I may go back and do some edits to this one too.

bigCman's Art Thread

bigCman321
bigCman321
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to bigCman's Art Thread Jan. 20th, 2012 @ 02:55 PM Reply

I'm trying out different ways of coloring. This is just me messing around, wasn't intended to be anything special, I like how it turned out.

bigCman's Art Thread

bigCman321
bigCman321
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to bigCman's Art Thread Jan. 20th, 2012 @ 05:42 PM Reply

I love how I'm the only person who comments in my thread. It's so quiet and serene.

bigCman's Art Thread

Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to bigCman's Art Thread Jan. 20th, 2012 @ 06:02 PM Reply

At 1/20/12 05:42 PM, bigCman321 wrote: I love how I'm the only person who comments in my thread. It's so quiet and serene.

It's your personal art thread, you just kinda gotta get used to it. People will post eventually (I am!). I think you should work on loosening up your colour and making it more flowy, and tighten up your edges, they're a little sloppy. I like your colour experiments though, they're entertaining.

bigCman321
bigCman321
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to bigCman's Art Thread Jan. 24th, 2012 @ 02:21 AM Reply

Almost certainly finished with a new painting. I might make some minor changes before uploading it to the art Portal. I already posted it on deviantART.

Comments, suggestions, etc? Also, for some reason when I exported the image there is this weird fragmenting in some areas. Ugh.

I'm trying to put to use the advice I've been given.

bigCman's Art Thread

bigCman321
bigCman321
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to bigCman's Art Thread Jan. 24th, 2012 @ 03:20 PM Reply

Better? Worse? Opinions?

bigCman's Art Thread

bigCman321
bigCman321
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to bigCman's Art Thread Jan. 24th, 2012 @ 03:28 PM Reply

Changed background back, I like it smooth. Kept the little bits of lighting I added though.

bigCman's Art Thread

bonkanailios
bonkanailios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to bigCman's Art Thread Jan. 24th, 2012 @ 04:25 PM Reply

At 1/20/12 05:42 PM, bigCman321 wrote: I love how I'm the only person who comments in my thread. It's so quiet and serene.

Hey dude, I have some suggestions.
Firstly, decide if something is going to be a study or if it's going to be all about style. Secondly, keep track of your perspective even on a face, if it's not stylized DO NOT push the mouth over to the side of the face. Remember that faces have symmetry.
This is a link to a redline I made for you, I can't remember how to post images directly

Remember that it is made up of flesh and bone, not just lines, respect the volume of the meat! When you smile, your lower lid will lift. that's because of the meat. You can't just move one feature and not have the whole face stretch and twist to accommodate it.

ps. sideways mouths rock, but only when you are doing it on purpose.

Also, another suggestion on color:
Don't use the color that you think something is abstractly. If you think that a white house is actually white, or a lake is blue, or that tree trunks are brown, you are suffering from a very common misconception. One which is almost impossible to break without doing the following exercise and taking it seriously: Take a sheet of paper, and cut a little square hole in it (about half the size of a stamp). Now pick a particular object either in your room or outside (this works better outside).
and take a look at it, think about what color you think it is. Then take the piece of paper at about half an arms length away from your face. Look through the hole and line it up so you can only see a little bit of the surface of the object in question. Make sure you can't see any of the edges of the object. Now free your mind from it's preconception of the objects color. Take a REALLY REALLY hard look at the color in your little portal. It's not the color you would have used is it? The surface color is surprisingly different.

When you look at the surface of an object out of context you see it's real color. Flesh is one of the best examples of this:
Play some where's waldo with this painting and find the blue and green and grey in the flesh:
lucian-freud-portrait

OR THIS:

Lucian again

or check out the crazy colors in these hands:

Lucian-froid-again-again

So stop it. Stop using just blue to draw blue characters, they are clearly not just blue, and the sooner you get a grip on that the better your colors will be.

Well, good luck dude/dudette.

bigCman321
bigCman321
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to bigCman's Art Thread Jan. 24th, 2012 @ 08:47 PM Reply

Thanks for the feedback, and yeah I see what you're talking about on the green guy. I really like the line work you came up with mouth looks way better that way.

I think I should start doing more sketches so I can get my initial line work down properly.

Also on coloring, yeah I need to work on that. Coloring has been an interesting an interesting learning process for me. When I have time I'm gonna look over some things on face anatomy and how the body works, I struggle with that. I redrew parts of the Asari picture (like her stomach) a few time trying to get it right.

bigCman321
bigCman321
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to bigCman's Art Thread Jan. 26th, 2012 @ 10:50 PM Reply

Some quick sketches. Might be basis for future paintings. If you see anything messed up with anatomy or angle or anything tell me.

bigCman's Art Thread

bigCman321
bigCman321
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to bigCman's Art Thread Jan. 26th, 2012 @ 10:52 PM Reply

Sackboy commander shepard skectch, I'm planning on making a painting out of it. He'll have biotic energy flowing from the raised hand and his omni-blade in the lowered one.

bigCman's Art Thread

bigCman321
bigCman321
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to bigCman's Art Thread Feb. 2nd, 2012 @ 10:56 PM Reply

Kicking around some ideas. Not a lot of time now. School and such.

bigCman's Art Thread

bigCman321
bigCman321
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to bigCman's Art Thread Feb. 2nd, 2012 @ 10:58 PM Reply

With these two sketches I basically drew random shapes carelessly until I saw something that could be made into a drawing. Basically a good substitute for inspiration.

bigCman's Art Thread

AJtheRipper
AJtheRipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to bigCman's Art Thread Feb. 3rd, 2012 @ 12:39 PM Reply

At 2/2/12 10:58 PM, bigCman321 wrote: With these two sketches I basically drew random shapes carelessly until I saw something that could be made into a drawing. Basically a good substitute for inspiration.

This is what I do all the time haha, the only difference between us though is you're much better than me! I like the Samurai the best so far.

bigCman321
bigCman321
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to bigCman's Art Thread Feb. 5th, 2012 @ 03:40 PM Reply

At 2/3/12 12:39 PM, AJtheRipper wrote:
At 2/2/12 10:58 PM, bigCman321 wrote: With these two sketches I basically drew random shapes carelessly until I saw something that could be made into a drawing. Basically a good substitute for inspiration.
This is what I do all the time haha, the only difference between us though is you're much better than me! I like the Samurai the best so far.

Yeah I find it's a cool way to come up with neat ideas. Thanks!

I did some photmanipulation/painting and put my head on commander shepards! :D

bigCman's Art Thread

bigCman321
bigCman321
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to bigCman's Art Thread Feb. 5th, 2012 @ 03:41 PM Reply

Close up on the head. I'm debating on whether I should post this in the art portal... since i did start with photos and a wallpaper.

bigCman's Art Thread

bigCman321
bigCman321
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to bigCman's Art Thread Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 05:15 PM Reply

At 3 days ago, bigCman321 wrote: Close up on the head. I'm debating on whether I should post this in the art portal... since i did start with photos and a wallpaper.

Made it cooler.

bigCman's Art Thread

choov
choov
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to bigCman's Art Thread Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 05:54 PM Reply

Amazing so far!! post more.

hi

J-qb
J-qb
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to bigCman's Art Thread Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 07:19 PM Reply

At 3 days ago, bigCman321 wrote: Close up on the head. I'm debating on whether I should post this in the art portal... since i did start with photos and a wallpaper.

Why not draw the suit yourself too? that'd get rid of the problem. just make sure to mention you referenced it.
Looking good btw.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
Spac3case916
Spac3case916
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to bigCman's Art Thread Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 08:23 PM Reply

At 3 hours ago, bigCman321 wrote:
Made it cooler.

this looks so bad ass

[-----free like clouds-----]
Artzzzzz

BBS Signature
bigCman321
bigCman321
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to bigCman's Art Thread Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 08:58 PM Reply

At 1 day ago, J-qb wrote:
Why not draw the suit yourself too? that'd get rid of the problem. just make sure to mention you referenced it.
Looking good btw.

You're totally right. Luckily the head is on a different layer so I can use it in another painting. I'm thinking of eventually doing a big epic self portrait where I'm riding a velociraptor (or something cool), and wearing bandanna, and holding a lightsaber, or portal gun, or something. I just want to fill it with video game references. Not sure when I'll do it, but I already have the face.

If/when I do it I'm thinking of basing it off this painting. I plan on doing some quick stuff first though, to experiment with coloring and some ideas. Thanks for the compliments guys.

bigCman's Art Thread

Spac3case916
Spac3case916
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to bigCman's Art Thread Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 10:06 PM Reply

At 1 hour ago, bigCman321 wrote:

If/when I do it I'm thinking of basing it off this painting. I plan on doing some quick stuff first though, to experiment with coloring and some ideas. Thanks for the compliments guys.

good base painting. the pose should be recognizable instantly : )

[-----free like clouds-----]
Artzzzzz

BBS Signature
bigCman321
bigCman321
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to bigCman's Art Thread Feb. 10th, 2012 @ 05:08 PM Reply

At 18 hours ago, Spac3case916 wrote:
At 1 hour ago, bigCman321 wrote:

good base painting. the pose should be recognizable instantly : )

Yeah, I love that pose.

I started painting the hooded dude today just for a bit. Definitely not finished but looks good so far. I think I'll start posting more WIP pics for advice or w/e.

bigCman's Art Thread