00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Bugurrii just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Collaboration Forum Lounge

3,159 Views | 36 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Collaboration Forum Lounge 2012-01-07 18:56:06

.::Collaboration Forum Lounge::.

Welcome to the Collab Lounge!

The Collab Forum Lounge is here to provide an open discussion topic for all Collaboration Forum users. In here feel free to discuss ideas about the forum. How would you make it better? What can be improved/changed about the forum itself? Also, feel free to discuss the things that interest you, in a thoughtful and considerate manner.

If you have a specific IDEA for a collab, and want to get some ideas and opinions, please visit the Collaboration "Idea" Lounge.

If you are looking for people to collaborate with, please visit the List of ppl Looking to Collaborate! thread.

Rules:

1) Do not spam. Spam posting will not be tolerated. Use common sense, try to be reasonably intelligent and coherent with your posting.

2) Respect your fellow forum goers, do not flame or belittle them. Different people have different feelings and opinions on things, respect your differences. You can kid around with each other but don't be nasty.

3) All normal BBS rules apply.

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to Collaboration Forum Lounge 2012-01-07 21:19:02

I frequently come to this forum but never post but great to see this lounge and the animation lounge being born.

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to Collaboration Forum Lounge 2012-01-09 16:50:04

I wish there were more collaborations being hosted right now :/

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

-F. Scott Fitzgerald

BBS Signature

Response to Collaboration Forum Lounge 2012-01-09 17:03:19

At 1/9/12 04:50 PM, Jomillex wrote: I wish there were more collaborations being hosted right now :/

make your own

Response to Collaboration Forum Lounge 2012-01-09 17:07:55

What kind of collabs do you enjoy participating in?

Is there anything in particular that draws you to one collab over another?

Do things like collab coordinator (if they have a good or bad track record), time frames (how soon it needs to be done) or theme/type matter? If so, to what degree?

BBS Signature

Response to Collaboration Forum Lounge 2012-01-09 17:27:53

At 1/9/12 05:07 PM, HandsomeCat wrote: What kind of collabs do you enjoy participating in?

Is there anything in particular that draws you to one collab over another?

Do things like collab coordinator (if they have a good or bad track record), time frames (how soon it needs to be done) or theme/type matter? If so, to what degree?

I like collaborations with a theme but you can still stretch your imagination.
I'm not sure what draws me to collabs. Definitely the title and who's running it.
I think that month long collabs or a couple weeks is the best so things actually get done. and the collab coordinators track record definitely matters alot.

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

-F. Scott Fitzgerald

BBS Signature

Response to Collaboration Forum Lounge 2012-01-09 21:01:30

So since this the collaboration forum lounge. What is your favorite collaboration that is in the works or just came out?

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to Collaboration Forum Lounge 2012-01-09 21:14:34

At 1/9/12 09:01 PM, J-Rex wrote: So since this the collaboration forum lounge. What is your favorite collaboration that is in the works or just came out?

Skyrim collab, hahah funny stuff man

Response to Collaboration Forum Lounge 2012-01-09 21:55:36

At 1/9/12 09:14 PM, BlackMist75 wrote:
At 1/9/12 09:01 PM, J-Rex wrote: So since this the collaboration forum lounge. What is your favorite collaboration that is in the works or just came out?

I submitted some stuff to "The Odd Collab" and the "60 Frame Collab 4".

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to Collaboration Forum Lounge 2012-01-09 22:51:35

At 1/9/12 09:55 PM, J-Rex wrote:
At 1/9/12 09:14 PM, BlackMist75 wrote:
I submitted some stuff to "The Odd Collab" and the "60 Frame Collab 4".

COOL!

Response to Collaboration Forum Lounge 2012-01-10 16:03:59

At 1/10/12 01:57 PM, Travis wrote: I like my collabs the best.

Then make another homes

-F. Scott Fitzgerald

BBS Signature

Response to Collaboration Forum Lounge 2012-01-10 19:21:07

At 1/10/12 06:10 PM, Travis wrote:
At 1/10/12 04:03 PM, Jomillex wrote:
At 1/10/12 01:57 PM, Travis wrote: I like my collabs the best.
Then make another homes
Not going to be a typical collab, but I've got an idea in mind.

Still bogged down with to much other work to do first though.

Can you tell us what the idea is? Maybe we can help?

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to Collaboration Forum Lounge 2012-01-10 21:56:41

Valintine's day is around the corner, now would be a good time to start organizing a collab for that.

(Just a suggestion)

Writing songs for cigarettes and credit would be cool.

BBS Signature

Response to Collaboration Forum Lounge 2012-01-10 22:23:37

I like song collabs, but ever since Tom said not to use copyrighted music, those have become extinct. It's a shame too, because it was easy to participate as little or as much as you wanted if everything was split into lines. Meanwhile, the end result was usually quite impressive and showed many different artist styles.

I've tried to think of other possible collabs that could be done that don't involve copyrighted music, but the only thing that comes to mind is a Bunnykill collab, mainly because Madness gets loads of collabs done for it and there's barely any Bunnykill tributes out there. Not sure if people out there would be interested in that, though.

Don't pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men.

BBS Signature

Response to Collaboration Forum Lounge 2012-01-10 22:40:53

At 1/10/12 10:23 PM, RazorHawk wrote: I like song collabs, but ever since Tom said not to use copyrighted music, those have become extinct. It's a shame too, because it was easy to participate as little or as much as you wanted if everything was split into lines. Meanwhile, the end result was usually quite impressive and showed many different artist styles.

When I saw the Sublime Collab, I'm The Scatman, B.Y.O.B. Collab,Mad World Collab, Feel Good Inc. Collab, and the Bittersweet Symphony Collab. Which is a lot of collabs it made me fall in love with these types of collabs.

I'm The Scatman wasn't a collab but still good.

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to Collaboration Forum Lounge 2012-01-10 23:07:30

At 1/10/12 10:23 PM, RazorHawk wrote: I like song collabs, but ever since Tom said not to use copyrighted music, those have become extinct.

There are always (or at least there used to be) unsigned bands/musicians posting here looking to get something done for their stuff. Some even come from the audio forum/portal.

The trick is finding a *good* song from someone/a band that's not signed yet! (got any popular bands in your area? ...bet you do!) That would be an excellent way to get around the copyright issue... and also help promote the artist and their work. You never know, they could go on to fame and fortune due (in part) to your efforts!! ;)

"Why do you hide, stupid aliens? Mr. Zurkon only wishes for to kill you."

BBS Signature

Response to Collaboration Forum Lounge 2012-02-11 14:15:18

I have to say I am loving the new redesign and what it will mean for collabs in the future! No longer do we have to limit who will get credit for being a part of a project!!

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to Collaboration Forum Lounge 2012-03-18 19:53:42

..why aren these game/animation threads regulated? I see dozens upon dozens of threads from people who have no skill whatsoever putting out their ideas and trying to get a team, why isnt this moderated?

I personally think that the collab forum rules should be expanded upon to detail requirements for game collaboration and animation collaboration threads. I also think that the rules for this should be something similar to this:

Games:

1. You must be a coder or an artist, and if not either you must be offering sponsorship or upfront payment. This would mean that unless you can contribute your half of the game, you either have to pay or simply wait for someone who is one of those two things to make a thread and offer to help with whatever you can offer (writer, composer, etc.)

2. If you make a thread, you must provide an example of your work. (similar to how you must provide a picture in every art thread)

Animations:

1. You must follow all of the same rules for making a collab, unless you are offering cash upfront or when the animation is complete.

2. If you are a writer, you must provide an example of your work, and must provide a full synopsis (if they are a writer they better know what this entails) and not simply explain their idea.

3. If you are not an animator or a writer (ideas guys or voice-actors), you must only offer your skills in existing threads.

This is just my thoughts on it, but the creation of these threads definitely needs to be moderated.

What is everyone else's thoughts?

Current Projects

Bloodline Champions Comedy Series! (episode one in progress)

Project Godai Dynasty (Game)

Response to Collaboration Forum Lounge 2012-03-18 23:43:04

At 3 hours ago, cmkinusn wrote: ..why aren these game/animation threads regulated? I see dozens upon dozens of threads from people who have no skill whatsoever putting out their ideas and trying to get a team, why isnt this moderated?

supporting your suggestion

ama gon chill

Response to Collaboration Forum Lounge 2012-07-06 21:25:35

At 3/18/12 11:43 PM, Sacros wrote:
At 3 hours ago, cmkinusn wrote: ..why aren these game/animation threads regulated? I see dozens upon dozens of threads from people who have no skill whatsoever putting out their ideas and trying to get a team, why isnt this moderated?

BUUUUUUUMMMMMP!!

They sort of are moderated. Starting a team is different than making a traditional 'collab' ...most people with any amount of sense will know which threads to avoid. Those that don't can happily 'team up' and work together to start something they may never finish... but will hopefully get some practice and experience from... and maybe even a friend or two.

ANYWAY....

I was just helping someone with some basic flash drawing stuff via aim... and it made me think that it might be kind of 'fun' to get a group of people together in a google hangout and do some kind of 'training' session... like: flash tools basics & drawing tips.

Is that something anyone would be interested in?!?!

Response to Collaboration Forum Lounge 2012-07-07 18:05:42

Personally I feel there aren't alot of sprite collabs as of late. I'm not much of a leader but I would love to participate in a better selection of collabs.

Response to Collaboration Forum Lounge 2012-07-09 02:10:28

I wish there were more serious collabs. What i mean is not comedy based. It seems almost every collab is always for comedy.

touchin 101

Response to Collaboration Forum Lounge 2012-07-09 02:13:50

Is it just me or is this forum....kinda unused?

Bandcamp | Ko-Fi | John Wall of Sound's Bandcamp

one of these days i'll have a proper website lmao

Response to Collaboration Forum Lounge 2012-10-02 07:46:18

What do people see as a strong way to get their collab ideas out to the masses who might not visit this forum? Are you using the Newground's news posts or reaching out on Facebook? What are your strategies?

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to Collaboration Forum Lounge 2012-10-02 14:28:06

At 10/2/12 07:46 AM, ForNoReason wrote: What do people see as a strong way to get their collab ideas out to the masses who might not visit this forum? Are you using the Newground's news posts or reaching out on Facebook? What are your strategies?

I've usually just done art collabs in the art forum ...so it hasn't been an issue.

I don't know what the original 'plan' was for this forum. I assumed it was to get the collab and animation threads out of the flash forum so people needing technical help wouldn't get overlooked... but it's become a cluster of want ads and advertising which makes it almost impossible for 'traditional' collab threads to get any attention.

Maybe old-school animation collab thread should be getting made in the animation forum instead? Seems kind of logical, really. Writing collabs happen in the writing forum, audio collabs in the audio forum, art in art... animation should happen in the animation forum... right?

Then maybe they could rename this forum as the Want Ads section! It might cut down on some of the 'I need a/am looking for/am a ___' threads in other forums... and maybe people will actually start (and join) some good old 'just for fun' (and/or practice) animation projects.

What do you guys think?!

Response to Collaboration Forum Lounge 2012-10-02 17:12:32

At 10/2/12 02:28 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: Maybe old-school animation collab thread should be getting made in the animation forum instead? Seems kind of logical, really. Writing collabs happen in the writing forum, audio collabs in the audio forum, art in art... animation should happen in the animation forum... right?

I wouldn't want to divert an animation collab from the animation forum to here for that reason. The animation forum wants the community activities, while the community here comes and goes like footprints on the beach.

BBS Signature

Response to Collaboration Forum Lounge 2012-10-02 22:35:39

At 10/2/12 07:46 AM, ForNoReason wrote: What do people see as a strong way to get their collab ideas out to the masses who might not visit this forum? Are you using the Newground's news posts or reaching out on Facebook? What are your strategies?

Personally if I know an an animator well enough Facebook works out pretty well, however after this last MovieJam Skype proved to be so useful for communication.

Response to Collaboration Forum Lounge 2012-10-04 16:32:18

the key thing for a collab to work out is a dedicated organizer -- no one really wants to babysit all the animators involved
(i did it once or twice and it was pretty tough)

It's too bad there aren't nearly as many traditional collabs as there were a few years back - - not even staff collabs anymore

Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings

BBS Signature

Response to Collaboration Forum Lounge 2012-10-04 19:00:11

At 10/4/12 04:32 PM, RedHarvest wrote: the key thing for a collab to work out is a dedicated organizer -- no one really wants to babysit all the animators involved

It's too bad there aren't nearly as many traditional collabs as there were a few years back - - not even staff collabs anymore

It helps when you kinda round up a group that know what they're doing. I totally know where you're coming from because I've done "comps" before that only had a few people in and got pushed back to what added up to around 4 months before the collab leader pulled the plug. If you give each member an equal role in a project and actively discuss it then things go along more smoothly. Also dude dates are crucial. I hate when a due date gets pushed back because some one couldn't have it done on time. I know there are some legitimate reasons for this to happen, but there's also such a thing called being lazy.

Response to Collaboration Forum Lounge 2012-10-04 21:55:15

At 10/4/12 04:32 PM, RedHarvest wrote: the key thing for a collab to work out is a dedicated organizer -- no one really wants to babysit all the animators involved

Yeah! Putting a collab together is a lot of work!! ...and I agree that that's a huge factor. I'm sure many people here have been burned at some point by project starters that bail because they get overwhelmed by the workload or were never up for it to begin with... and that's frustrating. Makes people hesitant to try again. That's also why I appreciate and have respect for the people that step up, take charge and get things done! We need more users like that! ;)