Be a Supporter!

Animation Forum Lounge

  • 8,456 Views
  • 159 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Member since: Sep. 1, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 11th, 2012 @ 11:49 AM Reply

At 16 hours ago, DillonBrannick wrote: Yeah that makes sense, what happens if you got it as a student and then got old, would it still be yours to sell your work, or do you think there's some kind of clause?

I found this...

"Since CS5, the Student and Teacher Editions can be utilized for personal as well as commercial use, for all academic customers worldwide. So yes, you can sell your services or anything you create, or use these products in developing a side business or online venture. And after graduation or completion of coursework, you can continue to use the software on your personal systems; there is no usage expiration and the tools will continue to work."

DillonBrannick
DillonBrannick
  • Member since: Nov. 3, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Animator
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 11th, 2012 @ 11:56 AM Reply

At 4 minutes ago, ReNaeNae wrote: I found this...

"Since CS5, the Student and Teacher Editions can be utilized for personal as well as commercial use, for all academic customers worldwide. So yes, you can sell your services or anything you create, or use these products in developing a side business or online venture. And after graduation or completion of coursework, you can continue to use the software on your personal systems; there is no usage expiration and the tools will continue to work."

This is class, there's absolutely no reason to pay full price, really cool. Thanks for finding that.


BBS Signature
Sacros
Sacros
  • Member since: Aug. 1, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Animator
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 11th, 2012 @ 12:03 PM Reply

At 9 minutes ago, ReNaeNae wrote: "students get shit for less than 700"

what are the requirements i need to meet to get the student version with the reduced price?

also how much is adobe paying you for the advertising :P

ama gon chill

ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Member since: Sep. 1, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 11th, 2012 @ 01:23 PM Reply

At 1 hour ago, Sacros wrote: what are the requirements i need to meet to get the student version with the reduced price?

Well, if you'd clicked that link I posted, you would have seen the link to the Eligibility Guide :P

*****

Am I eligible?

To qualify for a student discount, you must be enrolled in one of the following:

- University or college -- accredited public or private university or college (including community, junior, or vocational college) that grants degrees requiring not less than the equivalent of two years of full-time study*
- Primary or secondary school -- accredited public or private primary or secondary school providing full-time instruction*
- Homeschool -- defined by state homeschooling regulations

Proof of eligibility:
Your proof of eligibility must be a document issued by the institution with your name, institution name, and current date.** Types of proof of enrollment include:

- School ID card
- Report card
- Transcript
- Tuition bill or statement

For homeschooled students:

- Dated copy of a letter of intent to homeschool**
- Current membership ID to a homeschool association (for example, the Home School Legal Defense Association)**
- Dated proof of purchase of curriculum for the current academic school year**

Contact Adobe at 800-585-0774 if you are unclear about whether you qualify.

*****

also how much is adobe paying you for the advertising :P

I'm not advertising... I'm answering questions/concerns about Flash. I wish they'd pay me though... then I could get the CS5.5 upgrade! lol

Sacros
Sacros
  • Member since: Aug. 1, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Animator
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 11th, 2012 @ 09:37 PM Reply

At 7 hours ago, ReNaeNae wrote: adobe transcript

lol, sorry about asking insted of googling i swear im not always retarded

anyways, i belive we should support the open source alternative, not because of free stuff only but for reasons regarding the positive traits of said open source movement

specially in times where corporation vampires endangers stuff like the internets and freedom and stuff, if we have pretty darn good lawful alternatives like GIMP they are left without excuses for for those atrocious proposals of them (like the FBI being allowed to have record of all your activities and shit...[if im being broadcaste in some secret intel office - HI ])

just a thought


ama gon chill

leocartoon1
leocartoon1
  • Member since: Sep. 1, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Animator
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 12th, 2012 @ 09:39 AM Reply

At 11 hours ago, Sacros wrote:
At 7 hours ago, ReNaeNae wrote: adobe transcript
lol, sorry about asking insted of googling i swear im not always retarded

anyways, i belive we should support the open source alternative, not because of free stuff only but for reasons regarding the positive traits of said open source movement

specially in times where corporation vampires endangers stuff like the internets and freedom and stuff, if we have pretty darn good lawful alternatives like GIMP they are left without excuses for for those atrocious proposals of them (like the FBI being allowed to have record of all your activities and shit...[if im being broadcaste in some secret intel office - HI ])

just a thought

Although, at this point there's still no open source software dedicated to fbf like I wanted to have.
The closest thing you can do is either use GIMP, or just keep drawing a layer at time in a free image editing program and then play them at a fast rate.
Sad thing is that most open source programs for animation are mostly tween-based, like Synfig. I heard that KToon (which doesn't work in Windows, dammit) supports full FBF animation although I have a Windows so I can't really check if that's really true.

Sacros
Sacros
  • Member since: Aug. 1, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Animator
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 12th, 2012 @ 02:48 PM Reply

At 5 hours ago, leocartoon1 wrote:
Although, at this point there's still no open source software dedicated to fbf like I wanted to have.
The closest thing you can do is either use GIMP, or just keep drawing a layer at time in a free image editing program and then play them at a fast rate.
Sad thing is that most open source programs for animation are mostly tween-based, like Synfig. I heard that KToon (which doesn't work in Windows, dammit) supports full FBF animation although I have a Windows so I can't really check if that's really true.

there is "pencil" which is FbF based and runs on windows, its a really simple program though

if i was a good programmer id definetly help develop the project cuz it looks promising

there is a flash clone made for linux too which was the equivalent of flash 5, it supports actionscript and all for programming and preloaders, problem is it got its ass gang-raped by lawyers and dissapeared, but hey, you cant kill softwere completely, a little research should do the trick


ama gon chill

leocartoon1
leocartoon1
  • Member since: Sep. 1, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Animator
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 12th, 2012 @ 04:03 PM Reply

At 1 hour ago, Sacros wrote:
At 5 hours ago, leocartoon1 wrote:
Although, at this point there's still no open source software dedicated to fbf like I wanted to have.
The closest thing you can do is either use GIMP, or just keep drawing a layer at time in a free image editing program and then play them at a fast rate.
Sad thing is that most open source programs for animation are mostly tween-based, like Synfig. I heard that KToon (which doesn't work in Windows, dammit) supports full FBF animation although I have a Windows so I can't really check if that's really true.
there is "pencil" which is FbF based and runs on windows, its a really simple program though

if i was a good programmer id definetly help develop the project cuz it looks promising

there is a flash clone made for linux too which was the equivalent of flash 5, it supports actionscript and all for programming and preloaders, problem is it got its ass gang-raped by lawyers and dissapeared, but hey, you cant kill softwere completely, a little research should do the trick

I have used Pencil, but then I got a new tablet and it stopped working with it : <

Plus it crashed as hell.
I'd love to have a friend who could create programs, I'd make him do at least a basic thing that had at least some decent drawing tools (unlike Flash) and other useful features. And it would be open source.

BTW, here's two animation branches for MyPaint. I really haven't tested them, but they look good. I'm still trying to figure out a way to get and test these two.
And there's AzDrawing as well. It's a program focused on inking but I have tested it and it has a very very very simple animation tool (it just use layers as the frames). But again, it stopped working with my tablet :/

Zachary
Zachary
  • Member since: Aug. 11, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 13th, 2012 @ 03:04 PM Reply

Has anyone picked up CS5.5 yet? Is it any better than CS5? I have been hearing good things about it and was thinking about paying for the upgrade, but i'm not sure if it would be worth it.

Should I just wait for CS6 or what?


.

Sacros
Sacros
  • Member since: Aug. 1, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Animator
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 13th, 2012 @ 04:25 PM Reply

At 1 hour ago, Zachary wrote: Has anyone picked up CS5.5 yet? Is it any better than CS5? I have been hearing good things about it and was thinking about paying for the upgrade, but i'm not sure if it would be worth it.

Should I just wait for CS6 or what?

my bet is that 5.5 just fix the bazillion ammount of monstrous bugs every new version of flash carry

every program has a bug or two but flash takes it to a whole new level

correct me if im wrong, i dont know how much is it till 6.0 but if its not much then wait, a new version means new stuff instead of maintenance


ama gon chill

leocartoon1
leocartoon1
  • Member since: Sep. 1, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Animator
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 14th, 2012 @ 09:24 PM Reply

At 1 day ago, Sacros wrote:
At 1 hour ago, Zachary wrote: Has anyone picked up CS5.5 yet? Is it any better than CS5? I have been hearing good things about it and was thinking about paying for the upgrade, but i'm not sure if it would be worth it.

Should I just wait for CS6 or what?
my bet is that 5.5 just fix the bazillion ammount of monstrous bugs every new version of flash carry

every program has a bug or two but flash takes it to a whole new level

correct me if im wrong, i dont know how much is it till 6.0 but if its not much then wait, a new version means new stuff instead of maintenance

I think you should stick with older versions like CS3 or even 8.
They are the best versions of Flash ever made. The other ones are full of bugs and useless features that aren't good and efficent.

Croire
Croire
  • Member since: May. 23, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Animator
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 14th, 2012 @ 11:26 PM Reply

i have 5.5 and it's honestly not a huge step from CS4 or even CS3. Really there's just a new way with dealing with exporting stuff and there's a new loop function

Zachary
Zachary
  • Member since: Aug. 11, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 16th, 2012 @ 12:44 PM Reply

At 1 day ago, Croire wrote: i have 5.5 and it's honestly not a huge step from CS4 or even CS3. Really there's just a new way with dealing with exporting stuff and there's a new loop function

Have you had CS5? Because from what i'm hearing it performs a lot better than it's previous build. Also, what's this about a new loop function?


.

Sacros
Sacros
  • Member since: Aug. 1, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Animator
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 16th, 2012 @ 01:50 PM Reply

At 1 hour ago, Zachary wrote:
At 1 day ago, Croire wrote: i have 5.5 and it's honestly not a huge step from CS4 or even CS3. Really there's just a new way with dealing with exporting stuff and there's a new loop function
Have you had CS5? Because from what i'm hearing it performs a lot better than it's previous build. Also, what's this about a new loop function?

i know "new" is supposed to be better but seriously, ive tried flash 5, 8, CS3 and CS4 and 5 was the best lol, it got downhill after that...well, flash was always full of bugs and crashes anyways...we love it nontheless but seriously, wtf


ama gon chill

Zachary
Zachary
  • Member since: Aug. 11, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 16th, 2012 @ 01:52 PM Reply

At 15 seconds ago, Sacros wrote:
At 1 hour ago, Zachary wrote:
At 1 day ago, Croire wrote: i have 5.5 and it's honestly not a huge step from CS4 or even CS3. Really there's just a new way with dealing with exporting stuff and there's a new loop function
Have you had CS5? Because from what i'm hearing it performs a lot better than it's previous build. Also, what's this about a new loop function?
i know "new" is supposed to be better but seriously, ive tried flash 5, 8, CS3 and CS4 and 5 was the best lol, it got downhill after that...well, flash was always full of bugs and crashes anyways...we love it nontheless but seriously, wtf

I can't say that I have really had any problems with CS5 to be completely honest. It rarely crashes on me and when it does I always save my work so it isn't that much of a big deal. Also, if i'm not mistaken CS5.5 has an auto-save feature from what I have heard.


.

leocartoon1
leocartoon1
  • Member since: Sep. 1, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Animator
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 16th, 2012 @ 02:49 PM Reply

At 56 minutes ago, Sacros wrote:
i know "new" is supposed to be better but seriously, ive tried flash 5, 8, CS3 and CS4 and 5 was the best lol, it got downhill after that...well, flash was always full of bugs and crashes anyways...we love it nontheless but seriously, wtf

Flash MX has the best drawing tools of all versions.
But 8 is my favorite, along with CS3.

Zachary
Zachary
  • Member since: Aug. 11, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 16th, 2012 @ 02:57 PM Reply

At 5 minutes ago, leocartoon1 wrote:
At 56 minutes ago, Sacros wrote:
i know "new" is supposed to be better but seriously, ive tried flash 5, 8, CS3 and CS4 and 5 was the best lol, it got downhill after that...well, flash was always full of bugs and crashes anyways...we love it nontheless but seriously, wtf
Flash MX has the best drawing tools of all versions.
But 8 is my favorite, along with CS3.

Best drawing tools? From what I can tell the tools are the same in all version up from that :s

On a side note, is anyone else excited for Pico Day? Working on any animations or anything?


.

jagondudo
jagondudo
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Artist
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 20th, 2012 @ 10:31 PM Reply

At 4 days ago, Zachary wrote:
On a side note, is anyone else excited for Pico Day? Working on any animations or anything?

...perhaps

other than the actual animation process (linework and coloring)

what other processes do you guys tend to struggle the most with?
for me its the sound effects bit given you're not just doing a music video. Going through the entire movie, through libraries and libraries of sound effects and picking the right one for the right action, adjusting volumes and editing and cutting sounds takes forever!

CloudEater
CloudEater
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 29th, 2012 @ 07:26 PM Reply

I have started my Bachelor in Media Arts, majoring in Animation.
The whole first year of the degree has almost no animating unfortunately.
So I have to hold out and stick with it until the second year when I'll actually start doing stuff.

You should animate more in your free time Naythe!!

Yes, you're right... I should, I really should.

CloudEater
CloudEater
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Mar. 22nd, 2012 @ 12:30 PM Reply

So yeah.. animation is hard work and requires a lot of patience and determination. Or cash incentive.
Either way, lots of us find it hard to build up the motivation to get things done.
I see this lack of motivation being the down fall of this generation.

What have you guys been up to lately??

DillonBrannick
DillonBrannick
  • Member since: Nov. 3, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Animator
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Mar. 22nd, 2012 @ 04:21 PM Reply

At 3 hours ago, CloudEater wrote: What have you guys been up to lately??

Working on my portfolio to get into animation, I missed out on 1 of them so far, they said my life drawing wasn't up to standard, but they offered me their 1 year portfolio course which focuses heavily on life drawing. So it'd just be an extra year cause you'd get in after that.
I also have another college left, there's only 2 Honour degree animation courses in Ireland. Anyway I think I have a better chance of getting into the second one as I think they're more about creativity and ideas rather than a specific skill(although important) that can be taught. So here's hoping I get that course.
I don't think I'd mind doing an extra year though, it just gives you more time to get better and improve so it wouldn't be any harm.
Oh and studying for my final year exams, although I'm lacking in the studying department due to the work I have to do on my portfolio.


BBS Signature
RubberSocks
RubberSocks
  • Member since: Feb. 15, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Animator
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Mar. 22nd, 2012 @ 04:36 PM Reply

At 2/10/12 05:17 PM, Zachary wrote:
At 45 minutes ago, Corky-D wrote: How many of you use the bone tool?

Do you consider it a time saver or just a lazy hack?
Personally, I don't know anyone who does use it. I am sure there are some people who have mastered using the tool to their advantage.

I just can't find any use for it.

I use the bone tool for trees :P


BBS Signature
RubberSocks
RubberSocks
  • Member since: Feb. 15, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Animator
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Mar. 22nd, 2012 @ 04:41 PM Reply

Can someone tell me how to get the animator status in newgrounds?
I dont want to be a blank status, then no one would know what I am about.


BBS Signature
RubberSocks
RubberSocks
  • Member since: Feb. 15, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Animator
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Mar. 22nd, 2012 @ 06:06 PM Reply

I am making an intro for this 12 year old kid who asked me to make an intro for him on a videogame.
I said whatever and did it, and heere is what I have so far: http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/5d18a40104fe53d7123b471a 010ff1de
Any suggestions?
Comments?


BBS Signature
ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Member since: Sep. 1, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Mar. 22nd, 2012 @ 09:12 PM Reply

At 4 hours ago, RubberSocks wrote: Can someone tell me how to get the animator status in newgrounds?
I dont want to be a blank status, then no one would know what I am about.

Go to your Account settings (the gear icon). Click "Edit Profile Information"...and near the very bottom there's an option to change your aura. Select Animator (I think you have to enter your password too).

At 3 hours ago, RubberSocks wrote: I am making an intro...
Any suggestions?

I would suggest making a thread for things like that ;)

RubberSocks
RubberSocks
  • Member since: Feb. 15, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Animator
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Mar. 22nd, 2012 @ 10:02 PM Reply

At 48 minutes ago, ReNaeNae wrote: Go to your Account settings (the gear icon). Click "Edit Profile Information"...and near the very bottom there's an option to change your aura. Select Animator (I think you have to enter your password too).

Oh, thanks dude. What great help this community is.


BBS Signature
Rocinante
Rocinante
  • Member since: Mar. 28, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Animator
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Mar. 30th, 2012 @ 08:07 PM Reply

Got bored earlier and decided to do this. I figured some people here would find it useful.

Just some icons that you can use to link your Twitter, Facebook, and Youtube with. Instructions are all there and there are two versions, one being AS3 and the other AS2.


BBS Signature
Blounty
Blounty
  • Member since: Nov. 16, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Movie Buff
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Jun. 12th, 2012 @ 10:32 AM Reply

On friday I am hoping to unleash upon the forum the first BWAC Bi-Weekly Animation Competition

I would like to get your input on what rules and regulations you would like to see imposed on the competition.

I've been told the simpler the better

I have an idea for the first topic/subject and hope to have a introduction written and an opening animation ready for that in the next few days.

After that anyone can post in here what kind of topic we could have or even shoot me a PM.


Sig created by HighWay

BBS Signature
ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Member since: Sep. 1, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Jun. 12th, 2012 @ 12:29 PM Reply

At 6/12/12 10:32 AM, Blounty wrote: On friday I am hoping to unleash upon the forum the first BWAC Bi-Weekly Animation Competition

Aww, I'm sad that you made it a competition. I was hoping for something more geared towards learning and helping people improve that way. Maybe I'll have to do that on my own... someday. Anyway... depending on what it is, I *might* give it a go.

As for the particulars, since this is new, no one really knows what to expect... so I think you should just go with your gut and run with it. You can adjust accordingly on future bwac's :D

Also, thanks for doing this!

HowardWimshurst
HowardWimshurst
  • Member since: Apr. 20, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Animator
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Jun. 12th, 2012 @ 02:16 PM Reply

After that anyone can post in here what kind of topic we could have or even shoot me a PM.

Ninjas! its all about the ninjas.

I would like to discuss minecraft parodies. Theyre getting super super lame and yet there is at least 5 I count being posted on newgrounds every week. They always seem to have the same unoriginal content typically a new player collecting resources making a house and getting attacked by the various monsters in the game. I know there are many exceptions to this. Minecraft TNA and Rubberninja's derpcraft (which I think started the whole thing off). How long is this phase going to last? I think that this can also be applied to Skyrim parodies- they started off to be epic with Harry partridge but then to many animators seemed to jump onto the band waggon. I can empathise with animators that it is hard to find original content. Sorry for this rant I just wanted to get it off my chest. Feeling better now.