Be a Supporter!

Animation Forum Lounge

  • 8,439 Views
  • 159 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
fluffkomix
fluffkomix
  • Member since: May. 5, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Animator
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Jan. 9th, 2012 @ 07:06 PM Reply

At 1/9/12 03:11 PM, spammer4life wrote:
At 1/9/12 02:46 PM, fluffkomix wrote:
At 1/8/12 09:22 PM, Nae wrote:
At 1/8/12 03:07 AM, fluffkomix wrote: I'd just like to share with you guys some of my favorite animations and why i love them.
I would think this would be a better topic for its own thread. Or is there one already? (inspiration thread or something) I dunno!
I was thinking about that but i figured i might as well post it here. Maybe another time though
i dont really understand the "going to the store" movie, is it stop-motion?

No, it's a 3D model of a person (the kind that's generally used as a placeholder for the final model) put into film via after effects.


Sig made by me
Once again i'm falling down a mountain like a metaphor
Here ends another post by the grand master of all things: fluffkomix

BBS Signature
spammer4life
spammer4life
  • Member since: Sep. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Jan. 9th, 2012 @ 07:31 PM Reply

At 1/9/12 07:06 PM, fluffkomix wrote:
No, it's a 3D model of a person (the kind that's generally used as a placeholder for the final model) put into film via after effects.

wow! thats amazing!!
I had to look trough the comments on vimeo because i thought i where kidding me:P
it would have ben a pretty crazy stopmotion too!!

Zachary
Zachary
  • Member since: Aug. 11, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 06:58 AM Reply

At 1 month ago, Otto wrote: I think there should be a sticky - it would only help.

It's embarrassing to be part of a forum where people get shouted out for assuming this is the place to find an animator for their idea

How? If you look at the forum description it CLEARLY says Discuss techniques and methods with fellow animators! Post links to WIPS on newgrounds.com/dump for feedback.

If they don't read that then it's their own fault really.


.

Corky-D
Corky-D
  • Member since: Feb. 12, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Melancholy
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 06:36 PM Reply

I really, really want to animate and I know you're supposed to start off with small successes, but I'm having the problem of not being able to do shit.

It's so frustrating.


1, 2, 3, Coffee 4, 5, 8, too late

BBS Signature
Sacros
Sacros
  • Member since: Aug. 1, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Animator
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 07:43 PM Reply

At 57 minutes ago, Corky-D wrote: I really, really want to animate and I know you're supposed to start off with small successes, but I'm having the problem of not being able to do shit.

It's so frustrating.

thats exactly the way to start

animation is not like playing an MMORPG where you go around and have fun even though you suck and improve with time, want it or not

its more like riding a bike: you try and try and you seem to go nowhere and you wonder how the fuck people use that torture device for moving around until you get the hang of it with sacrifice and time and skills

except you live on a valley and to be able to actually ride your bike its a long way uphill where you need to develop your skills and spend millions of hours and develop your stamina to actually make it to flat ground - where you can finally have some fun and ride your bike

and every time you want to ride its still a pain because you have to traverse that same path, and you may now have what it takes, but its still many hours from home to where you wanna go

now go eat your vegetables timmy


ama gon chill

Corky-D
Corky-D
  • Member since: Feb. 12, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Melancholy
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 07:57 PM Reply

At 9 minutes ago, Sacros wrote: thats exactly the way to start

animation is not like playing an MMORPG where you go around and have fun even though you suck and improve with time, want it or not

its more like riding a bike: you try and try and you seem to go nowhere and you wonder how the fuck people use that torture device for moving around until you get the hang of it with sacrifice and time and skills

except you live on a valley and to be able to actually ride your bike its a long way uphill where you need to develop your skills and spend millions of hours and develop your stamina to actually make it to flat ground - where you can finally have some fun and ride your bike

and every time you want to ride its still a pain because you have to traverse that same path, and you may now have what it takes, but its still many hours from home to where you wanna go
now go eat your vegetables timmy

Yeah, what I need mostly is patience with myself.
I'll start off with just trying small animations without regard to quality, just to get a feel, or so.
Either way, I WILL eventually get to where I would like to.

Interesting story, thanks.


1, 2, 3, Coffee 4, 5, 8, too late

BBS Signature
CloudEater
CloudEater
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 09:43 PM Reply

At 1 hour ago, Sacros wrote: Thats exactly the way to start.
...
Now go eat your vegetables timmy.

That was beautiful Sacros.. c':

BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Artist
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 8th, 2012 @ 11:44 PM Reply

Hai guys, I hope I can join your club?

--

I have a question or two to axe you guys; what do you do to rally your forces? To inspire yourself to start, or finish, a project?

Also; how do you develop your ideas that you will make into a flash? What do you do to make that light-bulb go off?

I'll take my answers off the air.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature
AJtheRipper
AJtheRipper
  • Member since: Aug. 25, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 11:00 AM Reply

Does anybody here know ScreamerClauz or am I the only person that watches animations like that?

Zachary
Zachary
  • Member since: Aug. 11, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 01:01 PM Reply

At 13 hours ago, BlackmarketKraig wrote: Hai guys, I hope I can join your club?

--

I have a question or two to axe you guys; what do you do to rally your forces? To inspire yourself to start, or finish, a project?

I think it's fair to say that every animator struggles with this problem. While the finished animation will bring you gratification (hopefully), the work leading up to that is extremely time consuming and intensive. So if you want that good feeling of sharing the finished product you should keep pushing yourself to complete it.

Also; how do you develop your ideas that you will make into a flash? What do you do to make that light-bulb go off?

Watch other animations. There really is no trick to set that light bulb off in your head because that is all creativity. Someone can be the best animator in the world, but without the help of others thinking of stories for them ( or shorts ) they most likely will never be successful.


I'll take my answers off the air.

.

BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Artist
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 06:05 PM Reply

At 4 hours ago, Zachary wrote:
I think it's fair to say that every animator struggles with this problem. While the finished animation will bring you gratification (hopefully), the work leading up to that is extremely time consuming and intensive. So if you want that good feeling of sharing the finished product you should keep pushing yourself to complete it.

Yeah, I think it applies to creative types of all sorts, writers, musicians, fine artists, etc. I have a lot of trouble getting and staying motivated (cheap instant coffee helps only so much). So I'm just wondering what others do to get through the tough spots.

Watch other animations. There really is no trick to set that light bulb off in your head because that is all creativity. Someone can be the best animator in the world, but without the help of others thinking of stories for them ( or shorts ) they most likely will never be successful.

Most definitely. Have you seen any of the Annecy Festival short animations on Youtube?
They are amazing (this is one of my favorites)... But I digress, personally I like to take walks while listening to music and sometimes... sometimes an idea will hit me, usually not though, so it takes a long time for me to come up with anything worthwhile and then I have to deal with the motivation issue discussed earlier, lol...

Anyway, thatnks for your thoughts on this. =]


This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature
Zachary
Zachary
  • Member since: Aug. 11, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 07:39 PM Reply

At 1 hour ago, BlackmarketKraig wrote:
At 4 hours ago, Zachary wrote:
Anyway, thatnks for your thoughts on this. =]

No problem. Also, that video is pretty damn awesome thanks for sharing it.

Here are a few animations I have found on youtube and enjoy very much:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVkDrIacHJM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt5lB-RoAi4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnA4u9CaK7A


.

ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Member since: Sep. 1, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 08:04 PM Reply

At 1 hour ago, BlackmarketKraig wrote:
Watch other animations.
Most definitely. Have you seen any of the Annecy Festival short animations on Youtube?

lol... I was just about to post a link to that too. STOP COPYING ME, KRAIG!!!!
I really liked this one!

Like you said (elsewhere) ...these animations are really inspiring! Not like some stuff where you watch it and just feel beaten and defeated afterwards!!

Croire
Croire
  • Member since: May. 23, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Animator
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 09:46 PM Reply

Completely out of left field here but I've always heard fellow animators complaining about the cost of Flash CS(input number here), So I always assumed it was super expensive and in the past had pirated it for stuff. The computer I had flash on died and just on a whim I went to Adobe's site to look at the price....$119 really? You guys can't save up $120? That's ridiculous, I work for minimum wage and I make more than that in a week -_- There's a difference between grossly overpriced and people being greedy.

No one mentioned it but it's just something I've always wanted to say.

BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Artist
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 09:59 PM Reply

At 10 minutes ago, Croire wrote: ... a whim I went to Adobe's site to look at the price....$119 really? You guys can't save up $120?

Lol, it's HOW MUCH?

I do not advocate or condone pirating Flash, but you have figures that are for the UPGRADE from a previous version, not the full software.

Animation Forum Lounge


This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature
Croire
Croire
  • Member since: May. 23, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Animator
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 9th, 2012 @ 10:02 PM Reply

At 14 minutes ago, Croire wrote: $119 really? You guys can't save up $120? That's ridiculous, I work

HAHA JKJKJKJK JUST WENT BACK AFTER READING A COMMENT....119 IS FOR THE UPGRADE ONLY???? WHOA OKAY THAT IS GROSSLY OVERPRICED I UNDERSTAND THE COMMUNITIES BITCHING. $699 THAT IS OBSCENE.

x-factor11
x-factor11
  • Member since: Mar. 24, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Artist
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 10th, 2012 @ 12:17 AM Reply

Hey guys, I haven't had flash in a year or two, and the last version I had was good ol reliable flash 8.

Sort of want to try to get back into animating, but should I get toonboom animate, or flash 8 again? I think toonboon animate would be swell these days because it probably works better for non-swf formats, but flash 8 I know well and does swf very well (obviously).

Thoughts?! :O!

BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Artist
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 10th, 2012 @ 12:36 AM Reply

At 4 minutes ago, x-factor11 wrote:
Thoughts?! :O!

Flash 8 is so ca$h, but kinda dated by now (I have been able to run it fine in Win 7 64 but have read of other people having lots of problems running or installing in a contemporary OS), last non-Adobe-bloatware Flash version much <3 for Flash 8 here.

Toon Boom Animate looks quite promising, but it costs the same as Adobe Flash CS5 (here anyway) and Animate Pro costs significantly more. I'd suggest you try the demo to see if you like it before making such a hefty investment.


This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature
x-factor11
x-factor11
  • Member since: Mar. 24, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Artist
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 10th, 2012 @ 01:28 AM Reply

At 47 minutes ago, BlackmarketKraig wrote: Flash 8 is so ca$h, but kinda dated by now (I have been able to run it fine in Win 7 64 but have read of other people having lots of problems running or installing in a contemporary OS), last non-Adobe-bloatware Flash version much <3 for Flash 8 here.

Toon Boom Animate looks quite promising, but it costs the same as Adobe Flash CS5 (here anyway) and Animate Pro costs significantly more. I'd suggest you try the demo to see if you like it before making such a hefty investment.

sounds good

sad to hear flash 8 doesn't work for some computers, but last time I remember it was working for mine. I wouldn't get flash it wasn't 8 though, it's either that or bust for me, since it was Macromedia still and SO DAMN SICK.

Sacros
Sacros
  • Member since: Aug. 1, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Animator
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 10th, 2012 @ 12:08 PM Reply

i think its time we look further into open source software, we cant keep supporting them fags so they can charge whatever they want

im planning in switching to GIMP which is kinda like photoshop

we just need a way to stick a preloader into our work, thats a nice programming project too


ama gon chill

DillonBrannick
DillonBrannick
  • Member since: Nov. 3, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Animator
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 10th, 2012 @ 01:54 PM Reply

At 1 hour ago, Sacros wrote: i think its time we look further into open source software, we cant keep supporting them fags so they can charge whatever they want

im planning in switching to GIMP which is kinda like photoshop

we just need a way to stick a preloader into our work, thats a nice programming project too

Hmm, but the student version is 179 and the only difference is that you can't sell your work. Either according to past post in this forum, people say for 1 project in flash you'd get at least 2000, clearly covering the cost of the program with a profit.


BBS Signature
ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Member since: Sep. 1, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 10th, 2012 @ 03:16 PM Reply

At 1 hour ago, DillonBrannick wrote: Hmm, but the student version is 179 and the only difference is that you can't sell your work.

I'm pretty sure they removed that restriction. I can try to find documentation on it later.

I think if you're comfortable with Flash 8 and are a student... getting the latest version of Flash is kind of a no-brainer.

Corky-D
Corky-D
  • Member since: Feb. 12, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Melancholy
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 10th, 2012 @ 04:30 PM Reply

How many of you use the bone tool?

Do you consider it a time saver or just a lazy hack?


1, 2, 3, Coffee 4, 5, 8, too late

BBS Signature
Croire
Croire
  • Member since: May. 23, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Animator
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 10th, 2012 @ 05:16 PM Reply

At 44 minutes ago, Corky-D wrote: How many of you use the bone tool?

Do you consider it a time saver or just a lazy hack?

I don't think anyone uses it. It's impractical, it looks unnatural and it's just cheap looking.

Zachary
Zachary
  • Member since: Aug. 11, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 10th, 2012 @ 05:17 PM Reply

At 45 minutes ago, Corky-D wrote: How many of you use the bone tool?

Do you consider it a time saver or just a lazy hack?

Personally, I don't know anyone who does use it. I am sure there are some people who have mastered using the tool to their advantage.

I just can't find any use for it.


.

DillonBrannick
DillonBrannick
  • Member since: Nov. 3, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Animator
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 10th, 2012 @ 06:52 PM Reply

At 3 hours ago, ReNaeNae wrote:
At 1 hour ago, DillonBrannick wrote: Hmm, but the student version is 179 and the only difference is that you can't sell your work.
I'm pretty sure they removed that restriction. I can try to find documentation on it later.

really? so there's no difference, apart from that you have to be student, you sure?


BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Member since: Apr. 23, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 10th, 2012 @ 07:05 PM Reply

At 11 minutes ago, DillonBrannick wrote: really? so there's no difference, apart from that you have to be student, you sure?

yeah i think you have to prove youre a student also, I'd imagine so anyway.


None

leocartoon1
leocartoon1
  • Member since: Sep. 1, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Animator
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 10th, 2012 @ 07:05 PM Reply

At 2 hours ago, Corky-D wrote: How many of you use the bone tool?

Do you consider it a time saver or just a lazy hack?

I would consider it as a lazy tool.

If you're animating, why not ANIMATE it yourself. It gives a way better result.

DillonBrannick
DillonBrannick
  • Member since: Nov. 3, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Animator
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 10th, 2012 @ 07:08 PM Reply

At A few seconds ago, Luis wrote: yeah i think you have to prove youre a student also, I'd imagine so anyway.

Yeah that makes sense, what happens if you got it as a student and then got old, would it still be yours to sell your work, or do you think there's some kind of clause?


BBS Signature
thespazicat
thespazicat
  • Member since: May. 24, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Artist
Response to Animation Forum Lounge Feb. 11th, 2012 @ 09:54 AM Reply

At 17 hours ago, Corky-D wrote: How many of you use the bone tool?

Do you consider it a time saver or just a lazy hack?

its neither a time saver or a lazy hack, its just horrible to use giving the animator very limited possiblities when animating complex movements and is very pointless, same goes for the other recent features in flash cs4 and up (*cough* motion tween *cough)