New Topic Respond to this Topic
Markface
Markface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Animator
25 Key Usb Keyboards 2012-01-02 07:06:22 Reply

I'm a pianist in the market for a 25 key MIDI USB Keyboard. One that I can just have by my side to practice hand movements or set pieces as my real piano is in my fucking freezing garage. I guess in a way they're a little similar to those used in that Rockband game that came out a little while ago.

I've never had one of these and was wondering if anyone has had any experience in them. I'm looking to hone my skills for my real piano, so I would love to find one that replicates life size. I've seen a few, but the keys are much smaller, which would put me off really trying to learn and practice parts of songs.

Any suggestions?

Anything for under £100/$160US would be even more appreciated.

[;];=]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

BBS Signature
BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to 25 Key Usb Keyboards 2012-01-02 07:25:12 Reply

At 1/2/12 07:06 AM, Markface wrote: I'm a pianist in the market for a 25 key MIDI USB Keyboard. One that I can just have by my side to practice hand movements or set pieces as my real piano is in my fucking freezing garage. I guess in a way they're a little similar to those used in that Rockband game that came out a little while ago.

I've never had one of these and was wondering if anyone has had any experience in them. I'm looking to hone my skills for my real piano, so I would love to find one that replicates life size. I've seen a few, but the keys are much smaller, which would put me off really trying to learn and practice parts of songs.

Any suggestions?

Anything for under £100/$160US would be even more appreciated.

TBH as a pianist my self, I find anything under 61 Keys (5 octaves) to be extremely limiting. Might be worth it in the long run to save up a little bit more money to get a larger midi controller.

Here's on from Roland that you might be interested in.

A keyboard from Yamaha might suit you a little better as well.

Just some suggestions.

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to 25 Key Usb Keyboards 2012-01-02 07:58:21 Reply

Anything on this page within your price range will be suitable, although if you don't need knobs and stuff you can get a plain controller keyboard with a wider range for under $100

p.s. i am gay

Knoxius
Knoxius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to 25 Key Usb Keyboards 2012-01-02 13:05:37 Reply

ohai thar

Cross666
Cross666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to 25 Key Usb Keyboards 2012-01-03 00:33:33 Reply

If you really want to do a 25-Key then you can't beat an Oxygen 25 v2. I had one, and it was cash-money.

Now if you really want a decent range go for at least a 49-key, I wouldn't say that anything below 61-key is extremely limiting, unless you're fucking Wolfgang and slap your dick up and down the scales to create magic, no I think a 49-key is pretty good but anything below it is indeed limiting.

49-key usb options are out there and some are pretty affordable, especially if you check on craigslist.

BBS Signature
Markface
Markface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Animator
Response to 25 Key Usb Keyboards 2012-01-03 13:38:51 Reply

At 1/2/12 07:25 AM, brokendeck wrote: TBH as a pianist my self, I find anything under 61 Keys (5 octaves) to be extremely limiting. Might be worth it in the long run to save up a little bit more money to get a larger midi controller.

Oh, I have a Casio PX830, a decent 88 key digital piano. But it's in my garage, the only place I can play it. I want something I can hook up to my laptop indoors while it's warm. I don't intend on any real playing, just some practice.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! Will look into these.

[;];=]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

BBS Signature
Icy-Death
Icy-Death
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to 25 Key Usb Keyboards 2012-01-03 19:11:36 Reply

I need to look into getting a new keyboard soon too... the 49 keyboard I have is way too small for me.

Stalk me:
SoundCloud FaceBook

BBS Signature
AeroMusic
AeroMusic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to 25 Key Usb Keyboards 2012-01-05 18:59:11 Reply

this is probably a good buy for 35 quid
http://www.htfr.com/p/350329/akai_lpk25_
usb_midi_controller_black

it doesn't have (semi-/)weighted keys though, which will make it feel alot more like a real piano