Snake Re-imagined And Taken To The 3rd Dimension!3.97 / 5.00 6,417 Views
Be a badass and go on an epic kung fu quest!3.92 / 5.00 6,717 Views
Learn puppet reptile's best ABCs in this physics-driven interactive storybook3.91 / 5.00 6,516 Views
Welcome to the resurrected...
Monthly Audio Contest 2012 - January / February ORCHESTRAL theme.
Okay okay, we know the MACs weren't around in 2011,
Give us a break aww geez!
But this year !
- That's right! Whether blasting out an action packed sound-scape for a movie's chase scene, or elegantly playing a light waltz for a grand ball, an orchestra is a versatile group of classical instruments that can produce a fantastic variety of enthralling music.
- The primary focus of this contest will be on pieces of music comprised primarily of instruments that are used in an orchestral or symphonic setting.
- Synthetic instruments may be used, but cannot be the primary focus of the piece. Instruments that are synthetic and/or electronic in nature be continually used in a dominant manner. For example, one can use a violin plugin, or brass plugin, but not a theremin plugin. One can use an acoustic guitar plugin, but not an electric guitar plugin. One can use a bells plugin, but not an 8-bit plugin. Keep in mind that any of the aforementioned synthetic instruments can still be used in a supporting role. They just can't be the primary instrument of your entire submission, like you might hear in symphonic black metal.
- Realism of instruments won't be as important as arrangement. Meaning, if you have extremely realistic sounds, but just use the strings section and not much else, your song might not have as much a fighting chance as a less realistic-sounding submission that has more varied usage of orchestral instruments.
- Luis has mentioned that as an animator, it is sometimes easier to animate to music that has a mood change or an emotional change, such as:
Happy to sad
Scared to relieved
Stormy to sunny
You get the idea. Your chances of winning may improve if your song conveys a mood / emotional change.
- No piano-only songs, or any single-instrument pieces. Remember, the main focus of the contest is usage of an orchestra.
- Songs can be a maximum of 5 minutes. However, slightly longer songs may be taken into consideration and reviewed on a case-by-case basis. There will be no minimum time limit, but please, use your objectivity and common sense... "Does this track constitute a complete full-length song?"
- Collabs are not allowed at this time. Collaborative linking has not been implemented into the audio portal at this time, so it would be difficult to award prizes to a collab winner, for example.
- No copyrighted samples. This is rather obvious and self-explanatory. Be sure to also check the Rules for Submitting Audio to the Newgrounds Audio Portal.
- Voices can be used, provided that:
a) It is not sampled from copyrighted recordings.
b) It is 100% your own recording and creation.
c) You can ask another artist or group to provide vocals, as long as all material is newly created for your submission, and you provide the details of the vocalist(s), who they are.
- Submissions must not contain material offensive in nature.
- No covers. All melodies contained in your submission must be composed ENTIRELY by yourself.
- Songs must be NEWLY COMPOSED and created for this competition.
- Each competitor can submit only ONE song for this contest.
- Please submit your entry using your regular account, not an ALT.
- Have fun! Lots and LOTS and of fun!!!
From now until Wednesday February 15th 11:59 PM EST:
Submissions will be accepted
Sunday, February 19th:
The Top 8 finalists will be announced, and their submissions will be closely scrutinized by the finalists' judges.
Sunday, February 26th:
The Top 4 winners will be announced.
- First of all, one of the submissions that place in the TOP 8 will be used in a collaborative project produced by none other than Luis!
1st Place: 50 USD Newgrounds Store credit & 25 vintage newgrounds stickers.
2nd Place: 40 USD Newgrounds Store credit & 25 vintage newgrounds stickers.
3rd Place: 30 USD Newgrounds Store credit & 25 vintage newgrounds stickers.
4th Place: 25 vintage newgrounds stickers.
- In addition, the Top 4 winners will be featured on the Newgrounds frontpage for a week and also receive MAC12 Winners' signatures.
TomFulp - Overlord and master. Also dispenses prizes.
WadeFulp - In charge of the flashlights.
Luis - Consumer of alcohol and drew the wonderful artwork above.
MaestroRage - Judge and rage-quitter.
DavidOrr - Judge! Orr else! (seewhatididthar?)
ProudAardvark - Judge and alpha Aardvark of the Aardvark herd.
LogicalDefiance - Illogical judging.
BrokenDeck - They found him in an alleyway.
RampantMusik - He's The Goddamn Batman.
SuperSteph54 - Never sleeps.
JebbaL - Provider of signatures.
Rucklo - Responsible for exploding fire extinguisher sound effects (also lieks Mudkips).
MAC9 - March KID-SONG THEME a.k.a. "Who's your daddy?"
MAC9 - Valoltines
MAC8 - Claiming New Grounds
MAC8 - Flight in Freedom
MAC8 - Trembling Madness
MAC8 - Sorrowed Tears
MAC8 - Music to Motion
MAC8 - Pico Punchout!
MAC8 - Feb/March Pillars of Pico!
All discussion and questions regarding the MAC12 Orchestral go in the Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion thread.
Use this thread to post contest submissions only!
In order to get this...
Hello! I would like to enter this MAC! Here is my entry:
You would type in your post:
My foyst orchestral thingamajing. Thanks for making me do that :D
Couldn't resist writing a piece now... turned out better than I expected, so this is certainly my final submission.
We are allowed to make minor adjustments to the piece before the deadline, right?
this is super nostalgic, haven't been here in years. no epic brass or angelic choirs here I'm afraid, just a demented contrapuntal potpourri. reduced ensemble with english horn, two horns, glass harmonica, harp, divisi violas, divisi cellos and contrabass. less is more!
My submission for the contest. I decided to go with an emotional piece this year, rather than the epic battle crap I usually do.
The month of January is over, and now February has now come!
You now have little over TWO WEEKS to finish and submit your songs.
The last days songs will be accepted will be Wednesday, !
Someone encourages me to submit this one. thanks bro...
Guide to Music Production
One of the things that I love about technology is that what pushes it up against the boundary of physics, so whatever works, works. ~ Hans Zimmer
Hi everyone! Here's my submission for the MAC 12', hope you enjoy it!
An Orchestral piece of magic and imagination that takes you to a place of dreams...
At 1 month ago, sinequanon wrote: reduced ensemble with english horn, two horns, glass harmonica, harp, divisi violas, divisi cellos and contrabass. less is more!
49 instruments packed into my submission. In my case, more is more :3.
Good luck to everyone. This competition made me make (in my opinion) my best orchestral song yet!
For me, seeing a contest like this going on is like Robin Hood seeing an archery contest poster! =p
-George R. Powell
Music Composer / Screenwriter