New Topic Respond to this Topic
JarlaxleArtemis
JarlaxleArtemis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Why Women Aren't Funny Jan. 2nd, 2012 @ 02:21 AM Reply

I'm sick of hearing women bitch and moan that there aren't many females in stand-up. Lets face it, women aren't genetically gifted with being funny. There are three reasons for this:

1) Men don't find humor in women attractive. There is no need for a woman to make a man laugh. Women often comment on a man's humor when they're courting the man, women never have their humor commented on.

If a man can't make a woman laugh, he's out of the gene pool.

2) Women can't afford to be funny: they have the important task of having babies. Women aren't equipped to joke about such serious matters.

Have you ever heard a funny dead baby joke? I rest my case.

3) Men don't want to be laughed at. They realize women need to be attracted to them in order to produce babies, so "female humor"- geared towards laughing at men- is not something that women feel the need to develop.

Discuss.

BBS Signature
monkeytroubleaj
monkeytroubleaj
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Why Women Aren't Funny Jan. 2nd, 2012 @ 02:23 AM Reply

I'm very funny and my bf likes it. I make him giggle his pants off.

BBS Signature
Darthleather
Darthleather
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate

I LIKE MONEY

BBS Signature
Winrar1337
Winrar1337
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Movie Buff
Response to Why Women Aren't Funny Jan. 2nd, 2012 @ 02:25 AM Reply

You've provided reasons as to why they don't need to be funny, not reasons why they actually aren't funny. Stereotypes are idiotic.

"Censorship is telling a man that he cannot have a steak just because a baby cannot chew it." - Mark Twain

sandwich-eater
sandwich-eater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Programmer
Response to Why Women Aren't Funny Jan. 2nd, 2012 @ 02:26 AM Reply

At 1/2/12 02:21 AM, JarlaxleArtemis wrote: Have you ever heard a funny dead baby joke? I rest my case.

Plenty. But I guess dark humour isn't everyone's cup of liquidized dead baby.

BBS Signature
SKHM
SKHM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Why Women Aren't Funny Jan. 2nd, 2012 @ 02:31 AM Reply

At 1/2/12 02:26 AM, Natick wrote:
At 1/2/12 02:21 AM, JarlaxleArtemis wrote: I'm sick of hearing women bitch and moan that there aren't many females in stand-up. Lets face it, women aren't genetically gifted with being funny. There are three reasons for this:
Kathy Griffin, Joan Rivers, Sarah Silverman, Lucielle Ball...

are you arguing against your own case, natick? none of those women are remotely funny

especially not that annoying herbraic sarah silverman

G O D - B L E S S - A F R I C A
LAST.FM
CROWNED CHAMPION OF "FAPITUDE" BY BEARDKILLER

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Why Women Aren't Funny Jan. 2nd, 2012 @ 02:40 AM Reply

I can clearly remember laughing my fucking ass off at quite a few female stand-ups at various late-night television marathons with popcorn.

And I pride myself on my taste in comedy. It's definitely a male-oriented field, but there's certainly a few side-splitting ones where you don't expect to find them.

I can never remember names, though. There's really so many comedians...

Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Why Women Aren't Funny Jan. 2nd, 2012 @ 02:41 AM Reply

At 1/2/12 02:26 AM, sandwich-eater wrote:
At 1/2/12 02:21 AM, JarlaxleArtemis wrote: Have you ever heard a funny dead baby joke? I rest my case.

What is 20 inches long and makes a woman scream during the night?

Crib death.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to Why Women Aren't Funny Jan. 2nd, 2012 @ 02:52 AM Reply

I admit men are funnier than women but there are still plenty of funny women out there. The problem is that men have an old fashion view on joke telling. They believe it's a mans sport as if women aren't the ones who are allowed to joke too.

Sadly a lot of female comics do the whole female routine which of course men don't want. Men don't want to hear about periods and babies. Though us women will listen and laugh at a variety of men related issues with no problem whatsoever.

I was watching an old Mock The Week episode the other day and this female comic Sarah Millican was on and during her stand up part she was good, but you can just tell by the males there that they just did not want to laugh at her. She was talking about kids yes, but it wasn't in a woman naggy way, it was funny and brief and just see for yourself. Yet men do not want to laugh at women no matter how funny they might be.

Yes a lot of women don't like risque jokes but then I know men who don't either. To each their own really.

As for me I'm a women who loves them, can't get enough of politically uncorrect or celebrity death or baby jokes. The nastiest, the better it seems to be for me. And my funny comedians are men. Women are not unfunny though.

Now lets have a joke;

"Research shows that men speak 25,000 words a day and a women speaks 30,000 a day..

The problem is, after the husband comes home from work having consumed his 25,000 words..

The wife starts her 30,000. "

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
chipotleaway
chipotleaway
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to Why Women Aren't Funny Jan. 2nd, 2012 @ 02:56 AM Reply

I got a good laugh from that Gagsy.
Also I love it when a girl can make me laugh. It just makes hanging out and relaxing a whole lot better.
But I have to agree, women who do stand-up dont really make me laugh.

I am a vagina cleaner. My Steam
In world god make every thing. Therefore God can't deid. -calvinmark

BBS Signature
CoCo
CoCo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Why Women Aren't Funny Jan. 2nd, 2012 @ 02:56 AM Reply

in my opinion i'm more attracted to a woman if she can make me laugh

Lost the love of heaven above, Chose the lust of the earth below
Eleven saintly shrouded men, Came to wash my sins away
Sig by Valjylmyr

BBS Signature
Strawberrysab
Strawberrysab
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Why Women Aren't Funny Jan. 2nd, 2012 @ 03:35 AM Reply

Righty right Gagsy. Nothing like good old black comedy Viddy Droog?

Sevkat
Sevkat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Why Women Aren't Funny Jan. 2nd, 2012 @ 03:54 AM Reply

You can't be funny and do the dishes.

bollocks m8

BBS Signature
BCRice
BCRice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Writer
Response to Why Women Aren't Funny Jan. 2nd, 2012 @ 04:04 AM Reply

Wow. I came to Newgrounds because I thought there were a bunch of cool artist animator folks here, and yet all I've seen so far in the General here is a bunch of this kind of stuff. lol

Is NG literally without any mods? Nothing but sexist, racist, homophobe grotesque trolling thus far. Bizarre.

And if you don't think there's such a thing as a funny woman, it's probably because every funny woman you've ever met made fun of your small penis.

"I'm just a prom night dumpster baby..."

Outstanding Pajamas

BBS Signature
JarlaxleArtemis
JarlaxleArtemis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Why Women Aren't Funny Jan. 2nd, 2012 @ 04:12 AM Reply

At 1/2/12 04:04 AM, BCRice wrote:
"Is NG literally without any mods? Nothing but sexist, racist, homophobe grotesque trolling thus far. Bizarre."

I'm not being sexist. Obviously women understand funny stuff, otherwise men wouldn't try so hard to make them laugh. I never stated that women can't be funny. There are some funny women.

I was saying that on average women are not nearly as funny as men.

On average.

"And if you don't think there's such a thing as a funny woman, it's probably because every funny woman you've ever met made fun of your small penis."

I never said that there's no such thing "as a funny woman". Read my OP and you'll understand the thread better, young one.

""I'm just a prom night dumpster baby...""

Family Guy isn't funny. I really don't understand how that fits into your argument against me, though.

BBS Signature
TwistedPersonality
TwistedPersonality
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Filmmaker
Response to Why Women Aren't Funny Jan. 2nd, 2012 @ 04:12 AM Reply

Even if what you're saying is true (which I personally disagree to), a charismatic woman with a keen sense of humor that makes me laugh has greater chances for me to even bother trying to preserve her genes for future generations.

For the sake of future mankind! Stop impregnating bitches and knock up chilled girls exclusively!

Smuff.

BBS Signature
JarlaxleArtemis
JarlaxleArtemis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Why Women Aren't Funny Jan. 2nd, 2012 @ 04:22 AM Reply

At 1/2/12 04:19 AM, Xyphon202 wrote:
"Why the hell are you in General looking for artists and animators? Can you not read board descriptions?"

Don't bite the newbie. The boards are not described in bold letters, or anything.

BBS Signature
BCRice
BCRice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Writer
Response to Why Women Aren't Funny Jan. 2nd, 2012 @ 04:24 AM Reply

At 1/2/12 04:12 AM, JarlaxleArtemis wrote:
At 1/2/12 04:04 AM, BCRice wrote:
"Is NG literally without any mods? Nothing but sexist, racist, homophobe grotesque trolling thus far. Bizarre."
I'm not being sexist. Obviously women understand funny stuff, otherwise men wouldn't try so hard to make them laugh. I never stated that women can't be funny. There are some funny women.

I was saying that on average women are not nearly as funny as men.

On average.

"And if you don't think there's such a thing as a funny woman, it's probably because every funny woman you've ever met made fun of your small penis."
I never said that there's no such thing "as a funny woman". Read my OP and you'll understand the thread better, young one.

""I'm just a prom night dumpster baby...""
Family Guy isn't funny. I really don't understand how that fits into your argument against me, though.

lol

I would love to sit back in awe and wonder as to what other "averages" you've uncovered through your vast experience of the universe.

Tell me, what "averages" have you discovered regarding black people, asians, latinos, caucasians, gays?

Please enlighten the world with more of your "averages", since we all know generalizations are the fruits of so much life experience and complex thought and deduction.

This...should be amazing to behold.

The One who is He that knows the Average of all Things.

Outstanding Pajamas

BBS Signature
JarlaxleArtemis
JarlaxleArtemis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Why Women Aren't Funny Jan. 2nd, 2012 @ 04:44 AM Reply

At 1/2/12 04:24 AM, BCRice wrote:
I would love to sit back in awe and wonder as to what other "averages" you've uncovered through your vast experience of the universe.
Tell me, what "averages" have you discovered regarding black people, asians, latinos, caucasians, gays?

Please enlighten the world with more of your "averages", since we all know generalizations are the fruits of so much life experience and complex thought and deduction.

This...should be amazing to behold.

The One who is He that knows the Average of all Things.

Um, I never generalized in fact, at all. I pointed out the obvious: that less females than males run a successful stand-up and that the women who do stand-up play by men's rules.

Nowhere did I generalize.

Learn to read.

BBS Signature
JaguarProwlKnight
JaguarProwlKnight
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Why Women Aren't Funny Jan. 2nd, 2012 @ 04:47 AM Reply

At 1/2/12 03:54 AM, Sevkat wrote: You can't be funny and do the dishes.

is that a challange?

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to Why Women Aren't Funny Jan. 2nd, 2012 @ 04:49 AM Reply

At 1/2/12 04:44 AM, JarlaxleArtemis wrote:
Um, I never generalized in fact, at all.
At 1/2/12 02:21 AM, JarlaxleArtemis wrote:
women aren't genetically gifted with being funny.

Yeah, I don't know.

BBS Signature
JarlaxleArtemis
JarlaxleArtemis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Why Women Aren't Funny Jan. 2nd, 2012 @ 04:53 AM Reply

At 1/2/12 04:49 AM, Gagsy wrote:
At 1/2/12 04:44 AM, JarlaxleArtemis wrote:
Um, I never generalized in fact, at all.
At 1/2/12 02:21 AM, JarlaxleArtemis wrote:
women aren't genetically gifted with being funny.
Yeah, I don't know.

Hm, I'll rephrase that. (We really need a preview button for posts).

Women's genetic attributes of producing children and trying to increase the population of the World in a successful manner, are not something that they can afford to be humorous about.

Men have more of a capability to laugh at themselves, whereas women have to be serious.

Hence the humor gap.

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to Why Women Aren't Funny Jan. 2nd, 2012 @ 04:57 AM Reply

At 1/2/12 04:53 AM, JarlaxleArtemis wrote:
Hence the humor gap.

I have heard a lot of rubbish in my time on these forums but that is up there alright amongst the best. Or worst, however you want to phrase it.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Why Women Aren't Funny Jan. 2nd, 2012 @ 05:03 AM Reply

At 1/2/12 02:21 AM, JarlaxleArtemis wrote: 2) Women can't afford to be funny: they have the important task of having babies.

Oh yes, that's their highest goal in life...

At 1/2/12 02:52 AM, Gagsy wrote: Sadly a lot of female comics do the whole female routine which of course men don't want. Men don't want to hear about periods and babies. Though us women will listen and laugh at a variety of men related issues with no problem whatsoever.

I think this is a bit of a problem with female comedians; A lot of them will always bring up topics like this in their shows. And it always seems to be brought with the idea that "this is humour for women!", as if women can only joke and laugh about these things. It's not just that it's seldom funny for men, I just get the idea that it's specifically not made to be funny for men at all and that women create their own stereotype this way ("look, women can only make jokes about periods, babies and their vaginas").

I think another problem that comes along with aiming at a specific sex is that pretty easily, as a comedian, you'll grasp towards sex jokes and lame sexisms and that's pretty cheap and terrible humour anyway (no matter who it comes from).

I have seen some female comedians who did take on some more serious topics than the whole female routine and if you ask me these women were actually a lot funnier and were in fact good comedians. Not because it's more for men too, but the show was just of a higher standard as a whole with much more clever humour.

But anyway, I've met plenty of girls and women who did have a good sense of humour. Saying they're all not funny is just silly and sexist.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
JarlaxleArtemis
JarlaxleArtemis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Why Women Aren't Funny Jan. 2nd, 2012 @ 05:09 AM Reply

At 1/2/12 04:57 AM, Gagsy wrote:
At 1/2/12 04:53 AM, JarlaxleArtemis wrote:
Hence the humor gap.
I have heard a lot of rubbish in my time on these forums but that is up there alright amongst the best. Or worst, however you want to phrase it.

Now come on Gags. How many jokes do you find funny about stillbirth, or childbirth, or pregnancy? Is there anything less funny than someone carping on about their unborn baby? (Don't pretend to not know what I'm talking about here).

Obviously, there are women comediennes who are extraordinarily funny: Dawn French, Sarah Silverman and Jo Brand are three women who I laugh at. My premise is that stand-up routines are about filth, and plenty of it, it's what the punters want. The more jokes about one's own anatomy, the more jokes about getting fat, or other's misfortunes, the better.

Women, for some reason, dislike being regarded as fat, or decrepit, or decayed, and don't find it amusing. I find my body a cruel joke, but telling females that their body is a cruel joke is usually met with a slap.

Women who do comedy tend to play by men's rules, and tend to be more lesbian, more fat, more Jewish in their humor than, say, other women.

Your turn to argue; but I rest my case on that distinction in humor.

BBS Signature
Markface
Markface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Animator
Response to Why Women Aren't Funny Jan. 2nd, 2012 @ 05:13 AM Reply

At 1/2/12 02:21 AM, JarlaxleArtemis wrote: 1) Men don't find humor in women attractive. T

You find humor attractive in men?

[;];=]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

BBS Signature
JarlaxleArtemis
JarlaxleArtemis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Why Women Aren't Funny Jan. 2nd, 2012 @ 05:18 AM Reply

At 1/2/12 05:13 AM, Markface wrote:
At 1/2/12 02:21 AM, JarlaxleArtemis wrote: 1) Men don't find humor in women attractive. T
You find humor attractive in men?

Look, you don't have to be gay (I'm not) to hear a guy talk about a successful date with a potential female partner. Rarely do I hear: "Oh, that girl is so funny", whereas I inevitably hear "Oh, he made me laugh" when women talk about their potential male partner. I'm not being sexist in that, just making a sociocultural observation.

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to Why Women Aren't Funny Jan. 2nd, 2012 @ 05:31 AM Reply

At 1/2/12 05:09 AM, JarlaxleArtemis wrote:
Now come on Gags. How many jokes do you find funny about stillbirth, or childbirth, or pregnancy? Is there anything less funny than someone carping on about their unborn baby? (Don't pretend to not know what I'm talking about here).

I don't actually know what you're talking about because you're wording everything anally, and I'm already expressed my thoughts on women who do routines based on female things.

Obviously, there are women comediennes who are extraordinarily funny: Dawn French, Sarah Silverman and Jo Brand are three women who I laugh at. My premise is that stand-up routines are about filth, and plenty of it, it's what the punters want. The more jokes about one's own anatomy, the more jokes about getting fat, or other's misfortunes, the better.

Actually the best stand up routines draw from life experiences, generally the country a person was born, stereotypes they recieved as a child, relationships, then everything inbetween that. Filth is fine, but what is filth with substance?

Women, for some reason, dislike being regarded as fat, or decrepit, or decayed, and don't find it amusing. I find my body a cruel joke, but telling females that their body is a cruel joke is usually met with a slap.

No one likes being called anything negative. Women will just be more vocal about that and so what?

Women who do comedy tend to play by men's rules, and tend to be more lesbian, more fat, more Jewish in their humor than, say, other women.

Like I said, life experiences. Same way a South African comedians routine will largely focus on that. If a comedian is gay, then yeah that'll likely feature a bit. And that is what people like, funny yet5 true stories based on someones life.

Your turn to argue; but I rest my case on that distinction in humor.

I'm not arguing really. I just think you have quite a limited idea on any comedy, let alone comedy made by women.

BBS Signature
Halberd
Halberd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Why Women Aren't Funny Jan. 2nd, 2012 @ 05:31 AM Reply

I give you my love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguTypiXqqY
ILLEGAL MARIJUANA RELATED ACTIVITIES
The hand I killed your children with masturbates to the memory of it

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to Why Women Aren't Funny Jan. 2nd, 2012 @ 05:33 AM Reply

At 1/2/12 05:31 AM, Halberd wrote:
I give you my love

That bitch. I've been stealing that joke for years on this forum!

BBS Signature