New Topic Respond to this Topic
SandmanNLD
SandmanNLD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Firefox Versus Chrome Feb. 8th, 2013 @ 01:38 PM Reply

At 2/8/13 01:22 PM, dymck1 wrote: Even though firefox had some flash problems that I had to work out myself, it's overall better for me. I like chrome, but I'm uncomfortable with Google and firefox is more functional imo.

I've also been using firefox FOREVER and it has always been great. It's also native with windows classic on windows 7 (which I think looks A LOT better than aero) and google just gives me this gross blue to work with. I also hate downloads on chrome, while firefox works much better.

Downloading pdf files at work is a pain in the ass. Chrome always opens a new tab and asking... do u really wanna download this...really? i mean, i clicked it right.. download the fucking thing and open it up!

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to Firefox Versus Chrome Feb. 8th, 2013 @ 01:46 PM Reply

At 2/8/13 01:07 PM, SandmanNLD wrote: If used Chrome for its speed... except when i opened to many tabs my PC started to slow down to even freeze up...
In Firefox i can open as many tabs as i want.. I won't lock up....

It's cause Chrome runs a separate process for each tab, wheras Firefox only runs two processes, one for browser and one for plugins. So the more tabs you open, the bigger the bridge in speed between Firefox and Chrome. I like to have more tabs open than Chrome can handle.

SandmanNLD
SandmanNLD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Firefox Versus Chrome Feb. 9th, 2013 @ 03:59 AM Reply

At 2/8/13 01:46 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
It's cause Chrome runs a separate process for each tab, wheras Firefox only runs two processes, one for browser and one for plugins. So the more tabs you open, the bigger the bridge in speed between Firefox and Chrome. I like to have more tabs open than Chrome can handle.

And thats the main reason why it such a memory hog. If you have enough ram it won't be a problem. But at my work and on my laptop it is a problem.

RE-Uploader8
RE-Uploader8
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Voice Actor
Response to Firefox Versus Chrome Feb. 9th, 2013 @ 04:01 AM Reply

Google chrome frustrates me half the time and i never really used firefox so IE.

"Having known you're a grade A jackass, i'll still give you my money."-Sifraudmis (friend)

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to Firefox Versus Chrome Feb. 9th, 2013 @ 08:31 AM Reply

At 2/9/13 03:59 AM, SandmanNLD wrote: And thats the main reason why it such a memory hog. If you have enough ram it won't be a problem. But at my work and on my laptop it is a problem.

Even with a regular desktop computer it's a problem. 4GB RAM doesn't seem nearly enough.

Elitistinen
Elitistinen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Firefox Versus Chrome Feb. 9th, 2013 @ 08:44 AM Reply

At 2/9/13 03:59 AM, SandmanNLD wrote:
At 2/8/13 01:46 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
And thats the main reason why it such a memory hog. If you have enough ram it won't be a problem. But at my work and on my laptop it is a problem.

They run separate process for each tab because of the sandbox security setting. If one opening tab is compromised, crashed or glitched, the other won't be affected. Unfortunately, this feature fails miserably and bad guys still able to bypass this by using JS injection tricks.

Sig by Decimating

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Firefox Versus Chrome Feb. 9th, 2013 @ 10:22 AM Reply

I've never had a single problem running as many tabs as I wanted. You guys rolling with a Celeron or something?

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
SandmanNLD
SandmanNLD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Firefox Versus Chrome Feb. 9th, 2013 @ 12:21 PM Reply

At 2/9/13 08:31 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Even with a regular desktop computer it's a problem. 4GB RAM doesn't seem nearly enough.

Yup. But if it was blazing... i would still choose for the non-profit.

PsychoZoid
PsychoZoid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Artist
Response to Firefox Versus Chrome Feb. 9th, 2013 @ 12:25 PM Reply

Both are pretty good browsers, in my opinion.

PsychoZoid/Andrew Berry: The most uninteresting man in the world
YouTube | DeviantArt | Facebook Page | Psych & Friends Webcomic

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to Firefox Versus Chrome Feb. 9th, 2013 @ 12:49 PM Reply

At 2/9/13 12:21 PM, SandmanNLD wrote:
At 2/9/13 08:31 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Even with a regular desktop computer it's a problem. 4GB RAM doesn't seem nearly enough.
Yup. But if it was blazing... i would still choose for the non-profit.

Same here. Just trying to find some other flaws than the morally justifiable. :)

KnightOnTheSun
KnightOnTheSun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Filmmaker
Response to Firefox Versus Chrome Feb. 10th, 2013 @ 11:09 AM Reply

At 2/8/13 06:23 AM, Havegum wrote:
At 2/7/13 11:50 PM, KnightOnTheSun wrote: I prefer Chrome's look to Firefox's, that's probably my biggest concern.
The Firefox UI can easily be changed to replicate Chrome. And the latest UX build has updated graphics for tabs.

That's cool man, thanks. I'll try it out.

MechromancerNLD
MechromancerNLD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Firefox Versus Chrome Feb. 18th, 2013 @ 02:35 AM Reply

On the Fox here.

YellowisCOOL
YellowisCOOL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Firefox Versus Chrome Feb. 18th, 2013 @ 02:50 AM Reply

yea cause you HAVE to use one browser.... this shit is so dumb. you can use whatever you want whenever you want.

hence the beauty of the internet. Some days ill wake up and use firefox... somedays ill wake up and use chrome... somedays ill wake up and use inter.. ok no... but whatever. people use different shit. you dont HAVE to stick with one forever... if anything, if you have any interest in digital design, youre better off flopping around because you learn different personality quicks from each browser and you know strengths and weakneses better.

gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum

SalzerX
SalzerX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Firefox Versus Chrome Feb. 18th, 2013 @ 06:59 AM Reply

I used chrome forever, then i changed to firefox

He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to Firefox Versus Chrome Feb. 18th, 2013 @ 08:15 AM Reply

At 2/18/13 02:50 AM, Luis wrote: yea cause you HAVE to use one browser.... this shit is so dumb. you can use whatever you want whenever you want.

hence the beauty of the internet. Some days ill wake up and use firefox... somedays ill wake up and use chrome... somedays ill wake up and use inter.. ok no... but whatever. people use different shit. you dont HAVE to stick with one forever... if anything, if you have any interest in digital design, youre better off flopping around because you learn different personality quicks from each browser and you know strengths and weakneses better.

Admittedly it's great having a surplus of different browser at hand to test new designs and stuff, but I'd think it's rare for people to not prefer one browser over the others. That's like signing up at lots of different communities and using them equally, I can't think of anyone who wouldn't start favoring one community over the others, maybe due to how it responds, how it looks, what visions it has or what the members are like. Or all of those factors combined.

It's easy to compare a community with a browser. Take FireFox for example, they have visions! They have dreams of uniting the Internet populace using open standards and building a global network based on pillars of free will and alternative thinking! Their community is filled with innovative members and a rich gallery of ideas that are constantly transforming the way we access the net! As for Google, they're just a global conglomerate. It's like comparing NG to FB, or a town to a city. Personally I'd love to live in a smaller town, and go to the city only when I need to shop/etc, the same way I use social communities or browsers and pretty much everything else.

Also the name is awesome.

BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Melancholy
Response to Firefox Versus Chrome Feb. 18th, 2013 @ 08:18 AM Reply

I usually use an outdated firefox browser but sometimes I use chromium

Captain-Slugworth
Captain-Slugworth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Reader
Response to Firefox Versus Chrome Feb. 18th, 2013 @ 08:41 AM Reply

I like firefox,
Because you can customize it ^^

Two pints of Coffee and a packet of fags please.
Tobacco Smoker's Lounge | IRC|
Blow it out your ass __' Science '

BBS Signature
mandog
mandog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Firefox Versus Chrome Feb. 18th, 2013 @ 08:47 AM Reply

Chrome - better HTML5 support, better security, faster, lightweight and free.

original I am.

BBS Signature
Ruby-S
Ruby-S
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Firefox Versus Chrome Feb. 18th, 2013 @ 08:57 AM Reply

I only open my web browser when I want to surf the internet, and I close it when I'm done. I usually don't have more than 50 tabs open at one time.
ãEUEU- Chrome

My web browser is running at all times and I only restart it once a week or so. I usually have more than 50 tabs open at any time.
ãEUEU- Firefox

BBS Signature
Dragoonwing
Dragoonwing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Animator
Response to Firefox Versus Chrome Feb. 18th, 2013 @ 09:16 AM Reply

I switch between Internet Explorer 9 and Chrome. I use IE9 for tab and bookmark organization, while I use Chrome for quick searching.

BBS Signature
UVSoaked
UVSoaked
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Artist
Response to Firefox Versus Chrome Feb. 18th, 2013 @ 10:01 AM Reply

At 2/18/13 08:47 AM, mandog wrote: Chrome - better HTML5 support, better security, faster, lightweight and free.

Free. So rare with browsers today.

Hansel. He's so hot right now.
uglybetty
uglybetty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Firefox Versus Chrome Feb. 18th, 2013 @ 10:21 AM Reply

Chrome is much better - faster, simpler and easier to use :P

MechromancerNLD
MechromancerNLD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Firefox Versus Chrome Feb. 18th, 2013 @ 03:30 PM Reply

At 2/18/13 08:15 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: It's easy to compare a community with a browser. Take FireFox for example, they have visions! They have dreams of uniting the Internet populace using open standards and building a global network based on pillars of free will and alternative thinking! Their community is filled with innovative members and a rich gallery of ideas that are constantly transforming the way we access the net! As for Google, they're just a global conglomerate. It's like comparing NG to FB.

Also the name is awesome.

Well that just sums it up! Great post...!
I say Firefox for there visions. I just read today that Opera gave there shit up and going all webkit and stuff... They switch from there 18 year old project Opera to webkit. Mozilla responded that they will never surrender, as they believe in a free internet not runned by 2 mayor corp. like Google and Microsoft.

koopahermit
koopahermit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Melancholy
Response to Firefox Versus Chrome Feb. 18th, 2013 @ 03:31 PM Reply

I use chrome for windows and firefox for linux.

I am hilarious and you will quote everything I say.
"Man, fuck your logic." - HomicidialFrog
"Normal people. They're so fucking weird." - Xenomit

BBS Signature
MechromancerNLD
MechromancerNLD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Firefox Versus Chrome Feb. 18th, 2013 @ 03:36 PM Reply

At 2/18/13 10:01 AM, UVSoaked wrote:
At 2/18/13 08:47 AM, mandog wrote: Chrome - better HTML5 support, better security, faster, lightweight and free.
Free. So rare with browsers today.

i'm surprised people don't get why it's "free". Every Google service is free, because you pay with you personal intel. Everything u do Google knows. Just think.... Maps, Mail, G+, GDrive, Search.

Landpaddle
Landpaddle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Firefox Versus Chrome Feb. 18th, 2013 @ 04:30 PM Reply

You can hardly say that Firefox is free from some... questionable business practices.

For one, the devs use a system called SPDY 2.0 / 3.0, which dynamically compresses data sent and received through servers owned by -- take a guess -- Google! Talk about potential for unwarranted surveillance! And as if that weren't enough, Mozilla is taking a much stronger interest in working together with Google in recent months, which kinda goes to show that this humble community project has strayed away from web standards in favor of maintaining competition.

Also, prefetching is enabled by default in FF, and it is not made obvious for the average Joe how to alter this.

So! Based purely on handling of lone tabs, media, and page-load speed on the links most click-worthy, Chromium based code outshines Gecko in a number of ways, and by extension, much better for my own purposes. As for lagging with tons of pages open, Google is working on that! Firefox still takes the cake for the hardcore userbase in that regard.

Mental Music for Thinkers and Doers

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to Firefox Versus Chrome Feb. 18th, 2013 @ 04:42 PM Reply

At 2/18/13 03:30 PM, MechromancerNLD wrote: Well that just sums it up! Great post...!
I say Firefox for there visions. I just read today that Opera gave there shit up and going all webkit and stuff... They switch from there 18 year old project Opera to webkit. Mozilla responded that they will never surrender, as they believe in a free internet not runned by 2 mayor corp. like Google and Microsoft.

Thanks. That's good news. If Mozilla gives up the fight, there will be no one left to pick up the cause!

And IE doesn't count...
therisingtide
therisingtide
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Reader
Response to Firefox Versus Chrome Feb. 18th, 2013 @ 08:27 PM Reply

They both suck imo. They crash WAY too much, even when my laptop was brand new. I still use AOL.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

MechromancerNLD
MechromancerNLD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Firefox Versus Chrome Feb. 19th, 2013 @ 06:13 AM Reply

At 2/18/13 04:42 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Thanks. That's good news. If Mozilla gives up the fight, there will be no one left to pick up the cause!

And IE doesn't count...

Jep, if Mozilla quites than the whole browser market will collapse under Google and Microsoft, and then they can really do what they want. Good thing Mozilla is non-profit and supported by many.