New Topic Respond to this Topic
unconsidered
unconsidered
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Is the time of the reviewers gone? Dec. 30th, 2011 @ 02:12 AM Reply

Has reviews lost their credibility? Does the idea of metacritic paying off websites for certain scores or people who don't even like the genera of game they are reviewing giving it the worse score still linger in you mind? Is it just not right that you don't like a game because someone else doesn't like a game?

Chdonga
Chdonga
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Game Developer
Response to Is the time of the reviewers gone? Dec. 30th, 2011 @ 02:16 AM Reply

I would say so. I like hearing opinions on games, but nowadays it seems like reviewers will just shit over any game that's not a carbon copy of some other popular game.

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Is the time of the reviewers gone? Dec. 30th, 2011 @ 02:24 AM Reply

Correct me if I'm wrong... but Metacritic only collects reviews and gives people an overall average (As well as links to those reviews)... They don't make money off scores being good or bad, they make money because they consolidate everything into one location.

It's publishers and marketing firms that hand out bribes for good reviews.

That said, I never judge a game by a "commercial review" (Meaning a review done by a "professional" publication), I really only read/watch their reviews to get an idea of what the game is like... not to judge if I'll enjoy it or not.
If anything, I'd much rather judge a purchase off of independent reviewers (Such as the reviews many people put up on youtube) as they wouldn't have been paid off for good scores, and they are less (generally) less jaded about gaming as it isn't their job to give scores to newly released games.

Overall though, I've purchased games that have gotten scores in the 2/10 (Commercial or user) and enjoyed the game much more than I would a game that got a 10/10.
Reviews, commercial or not, are opinion (Swayed by bribes or not), and should be treated as such. It doesn't matter how "professional" a game reviewer is, there will always be personal bias involved. Everyone has different tastes, so I try a game to decide if I'll enjoy it or not. Honestly, I think most reviews are nothing more than additional publicity for games.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
levusbevus
levusbevus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Is the time of the reviewers gone? Dec. 30th, 2011 @ 02:24 AM Reply

I hope so. Or at least I hope it matures. The way video game scores are bloated is really, really stupid.

A 7/10 score should be considered good for crying out loud.

Prepare for unforeseen consequences.

BBS Signature
unconsidered
unconsidered
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to Is the time of the reviewers gone? Dec. 30th, 2011 @ 02:33 AM Reply

At 12/30/11 02:24 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong... but Metacritic only collects reviews and gives people an overall average (As well as links to those reviews)... They don't make money off scores being good or bad, they make money because they consolidate everything into one location.

From what I hear, companies would want to get their review out before everyone elses; because if your the first one to get the review out, more people will visit the website, which means more traffic, which means more profits for the site. But Meticritic would only first you if the site would give the game a certain score.

Mind you, I first heard this about 5 months ago, so they could have changed it by now (probably not).

mrnihil
mrnihil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Artist
Response to Is the time of the reviewers gone? Dec. 30th, 2011 @ 02:49 AM Reply

I'm wondering. It seems like a lot of games get 10/10 anymore. Mediocre is becoming the new gold.

Jedermann sein eigner truthahn abendessen.

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Is the time of the reviewers gone? Dec. 30th, 2011 @ 02:58 AM Reply

At 12/30/11 02:33 AM, unconsidered wrote:
At 12/30/11 02:24 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong... but Metacritic only collects reviews and gives people an overall average (As well as links to those reviews)... They don't make money off scores being good or bad, they make money because they consolidate everything into one location.
From what I hear, companies would want to get their review out before everyone elses; because if your the first one to get the review out, more people will visit the website, which means more traffic, which means more profits for the site. But Meticritic would only first you if the site would give the game a certain score.

Mind you, I first heard this about 5 months ago, so they could have changed it by now (probably not).

That doesn't make any sense to me... If anything, that means that the reviewing sites would be paying metacritic so they could be the first put up generating not only traffic from loyal customers, but from metacritic as well.

Why would Metacritic pay reviewing sites when they can just grab whatever is the first review out and throw it up, which by itself generates revenue for them simply because they already have a link to a review while other reviewing sites take even a few hours more to release their take on the game, which means they lose traffic to whoever put up their review first.

Maybe I misread your explanation, but as it stands, it makes no sense whatsoever that metacritic would be the one handing out bribes for certain scores. Because Metacritic isn't the one making money off the game, the publishers/developers/marketing firms are. And a higher score means more sales for them, not Metacritic.

If I'm missing something, please enlighten me... or link me to where you got this information. Keeping in mind that I do not consider hearsay a reliable source of information.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
SpiderTaco
SpiderTaco
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Melancholy
Response to Is the time of the reviewers gone? Dec. 30th, 2011 @ 11:43 AM Reply

Why the fuck would metacritic pay off websites? They just collect and average out the scores, what the actual score is doesn't matter to them in the slightest. It's the game's developers that are rumoured to pay off reviewers, for obvious reasons.

ChaosWisdom
ChaosWisdom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Is the time of the reviewers gone? Dec. 30th, 2011 @ 11:50 AM Reply

At 12/30/11 11:43 AM, SpiderTaco wrote: Why the fuck would metacritic pay off websites? They just collect and average out the scores, what the actual score is doesn't matter to them in the slightest. It's the game's developers that are rumoured to pay off reviewers, for obvious reasons.

I'm pretty sure it's this.

Nevertheless, I think most gamers have established that the credibility of sites like IGN, Gamespot, etc., are zero. Problem is, those sites don't cater to gamers (they pretend to), so they aren't going anywhere.

I really shouldn't give sites like those more traffic, but I still go there to check up on news, but their reviews I always take with a grain of salt. Better off with Youtube reviewers these days.

ChaosWisdom
ChaosWisdom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Is the time of the reviewers gone? Dec. 30th, 2011 @ 11:53 AM Reply

*Sorry for double post*

The problem with MC sometimes is that they're conversion system for a score is messed up. They're scores can look very lopsided.

The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Is the time of the reviewers gone? Dec. 30th, 2011 @ 11:22 PM Reply

Yeah I would like to think reviewers have lost some of their luster. I mean I only really watch GameTrailers reviews and read Game Informer's reviews nowadays. Also it's not only the big time company reviewers, there are tons of reviewers out there and to be honest I don't know why. I guess different opinions and there are people looking for a reviewer to match their opinion, but I just don't get it.

So yeah the time of the reviewer is gone.

| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
dogpup4
dogpup4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Gamer
Response to Is the time of the reviewers gone? Dec. 31st, 2011 @ 09:58 AM Reply

I never read IGN reviews anymore. Half of them are biased (seriously, Uncharted 3 gets a fucking 10? Bear in mind that means absolutely perfect on IGN).

DVD Collection and Game Collection
Steam: GallifreyanTimeDog
Really need to change this rubbish username.

BBS Signature
naronic
naronic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to Is the time of the reviewers gone? Dec. 31st, 2011 @ 10:12 AM Reply

It really depends on where you get such reviews really.

Go to any popular funded site and your more likely to get kiss up glossed reviews for AAA games with numerical scores at or around 10.

I usually go for more independent reviewers or critics, like youtube names or Yahtzee, they're much less forgiving.

BBS Signature
idiot-monarch
idiot-monarch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to Is the time of the reviewers gone? Dec. 31st, 2011 @ 10:23 AM Reply

Yeah, Gamespot, IGN etc. are a joke nowadays.

I mostly just use Rock Paper Shotgun, which is pretty decent.

Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature
TheLameChildren
TheLameChildren
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Is the time of the reviewers gone? Dec. 31st, 2011 @ 10:24 AM Reply

the only reviwers i trust are the small independent gamers like the irate gamer

Little-Rena
Little-Rena
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Melancholy
Response to Is the time of the reviewers gone? Dec. 31st, 2011 @ 11:21 AM Reply

I hope not, I like reading reviews and looking at the scores, I mostly like to look at what people think about a game and look at how they are representing it. I am still getting reviews from the PC Gamer magazine, lol.

I don't decide on buying a game just based on a review though.