00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kyzakay just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Which Tablet should I get?

912 Views | 16 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Which Tablet should I get? 2011-12-29 02:57:08

Hey, I recently got into animation. Currently I am using my mouse to draw but it simply won't cut it and I reached the conclusion I must get a tablet.

What I wanted to ask was what tablet type and size I should buy. My goal is to work as an animator in a professional manner.

My budget is 500$, hopefully there is a decent tablet I can get for even less then that.

Response to Which Tablet should I get? 2011-12-29 04:00:55

If your budget is $500, you could easily go for an Intuos4 which is the model one step under Cintiq.
I got mine for around $365.
That could be the way to go if you're taking animation seriously.

Response to Which Tablet should I get? 2011-12-29 07:40:46

With a Budget of $500 you can get a bamboo create for $200

A bamboo capture for $100

Or any type of intuos

I have the bamboo capture and it was a Christmas sale, so I got it off Amazon brand new for $80 with Autodesk sketchbook pro, manga studio 4, autodesk sketchbook express (with the tablet), photoshop elements (with the tablet)

Poke around on amazon, to get program bundles with your tablet :)

Response to Which Tablet should I get? 2011-12-29 14:52:28

Get the biggest one.

Response to Which Tablet should I get? 2011-12-29 15:11:08

At 12/29/11 02:52 PM, Damien wrote: Get the biggest one.

He is just starting out, all that extra space is probably un-necessary. Think about the Bamboo Capture since its small, cheap comes with suprise software bundles and covers your entire monitor

Response to Which Tablet should I get? 2011-12-29 20:50:34

agreed

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

-F. Scott Fitzgerald

BBS Signature

Response to Which Tablet should I get? 2011-12-29 21:19:52

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOSHIBA-TECRA-M7 -Tablet-Laptop-2-16Gh-4GB-640GB-DVD-RW-1 4-LCD-TOUCHSCREEN-/280798581073?pt=Lapto ps_Nov05&hash=item4160e65151#ht_987wt_11 27

Get THAT! I have it and it is so amazing you can't even believe. Trust me, once you use this tablet, you will never consider any other. (I have an Intuos4 Medium AND an Intuos3 Extra-Large, and I haven't touched them since I got this one)

Current Projects

Bloodline Champions Comedy Series! (episode one in progress)

Project Godai Dynasty (Game)

Response to Which Tablet should I get? 2011-12-29 21:42:36

At 12/29/11 08:50 PM, Jomillex wrote:
agreed

Whats the point of a large tablet, if your just starting out?

Response to Which Tablet should I get? 2011-12-29 21:46:54

If you notice on the Wacom Website, the large Intuos tablets dont come with software bundles other than the Adobe Lightroom package. Get something from the Bamboo line because of the software it comes with and a reasonable price.

Response to Which Tablet should I get? 2011-12-30 05:26:29

At 12/29/11 09:42 PM, BlackMist75 wrote:
At 12/29/11 08:50 PM, Jomillex wrote:
agreed
Whats the point of a large tablet, if your just starting out?

i agree with these guys (except don't get the xlarge intuos 4, it's just too much!)

The point of a large tablet is so that you have more room to swing your arm. You'll get better gestural lines and better flow if you're drawing with your entire arm rather than just your wrist, and your drawings will end up looking better. Not only that, but you'll have a lot more control over the look and feel of the drawing, because you will be able to pick out tinier details a lot easier (like with bigger strokes for smaller details instead of a tiny flick and hoping you get it right). My recommendation is the intuos 4 large because it's a good size to fit on your lap, not too big or too small, and gives you a lot of room to move your arm in every which way.

However, if you're just starting out, i recommend testing the waters first with one of the cheaper bamboo models. It's not too much out of your pocket and it's good for continuing to practice animation, without the whole commitment of a huge investment (you're still young, your passion may change yet!). Then if you feel like you really want to continue in animation, go for the intuos 4, but only after you've tried it out with a smaller tablet for a while (approximate minimum: 6 months)

Sig made by me

Once again i'm falling down a mountain like a metaphor

Here ends another post by the grand master of all things: fluffkomix

BBS Signature

Response to Which Tablet should I get? 2011-12-30 05:59:23

The point of getting a big tablet is that you won't have to upgrade to a bigger one once you get "better"
Saves bucks on the long term.

I went through 3 tablets during my time, and I wish I didn't.

You don't tell someone that's starting out with voice acting to get the shitties, cheapest microphone just because he's "starting out".
You tell them to get a good professional microphone because it has better quality and a longer lifespan.

If OP decides to drop animation/digital art in the long end thats his mistake and the money he spend on equipment will be lost anyway.

Also, seeing that he has a bigger budget it gives him a broader choice.

Eventually he WILL need a larger tablet and what is he supposed to do with his small A5 tablet? Chuck it away? Seems like a waste of money to me.

Response to Which Tablet should I get? 2011-12-30 07:35:21

Every one saying that he should get the bigger and better tablets are right.

The dude has quite a good amount of money to spend in a tablet, it's better to buy the best ones than buy a average one and keep buying tablets like someone said earlier.
I say that because my tablet is not even a Wacom one...

Response to Which Tablet should I get? 2011-12-30 10:12:50

fluffkomix is completely right.
I would definitely consider his advice but coming back to this thread I thought of another idea.
Voices become a huge issue later on in animation, whether it is your microphone sucks. Your voice actors cant do the right voice or it takes too long too get a clip.
So why don't you get like an intuos4 medium and a good microphone and popfilter. It will be very handy later on!

this may just be my situation though.

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

-F. Scott Fitzgerald

BBS Signature

Response to Which Tablet should I get? 2011-12-30 10:51:47

Nice!. Im thinking about getting the "bamboo fun pen and touch small".
My budget isnt high so I will start out with that.
Is anyone using that one?, if so, do you like it?

BBS Signature

Response to Which Tablet should I get? 2011-12-30 14:38:10

At 12/30/11 05:59 AM, Damien wrote: The point of getting a big tablet is that you won't have to upgrade to a bigger one once you get "better"
Saves bucks on the long term.

I went through 3 tablets during my time, and I wish I didn't.

well the reason i'm telling him to get the cheapest one to test the waters is because not only is it barely any money anyways, it works quite well and should last him a while until he decides to upgrade. You should never go into the biggest and best thing to start unless you really know what you're getting into, or you could wind up making a big mistake and wasting money that you may not want wasted. It's only 80 bucks more expensive of a plan, is more risk-free and you can sell the tablet afterwards anyways for a good refund.

It's just the smarter idea. It's what i did and it worked out well for me. It's actually a good thing i went for the smaller tablet first because if i had gone for the bigger tablet, well, i lost motivation easily early on and by the time i had actually reached the point where i was obsessive about animation it probably would've been broken by then.

And if i wanted him to get the crappiest tablet out there i wouldn't tell him to get a wacom. Even the cheapest wacoms are good quality and great for work

Sig made by me

Once again i'm falling down a mountain like a metaphor

Here ends another post by the grand master of all things: fluffkomix

BBS Signature

Response to Which Tablet should I get? 2012-01-01 20:22:13

Anything Made by Wacom in my opinion is a great tablet. I love the feel of them.

Yea..Best Signature..Ever.

Response to Which Tablet should I get? 2012-01-01 20:31:09

At 1/1/12 08:22 PM, Kixen wrote: Anything Made by Wacom in my opinion is a great tablet. I love the feel of them.

Amen