New Topic Respond to this Topic
DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 56
Blank Slate
Response to Katana in the Apocalypse? Why? 2012-05-09 18:31:10 Reply

Katanas always make me think about Legend of the Five Rings.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics
Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

Klobb17
Klobb17
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Katana in the Apocalypse? Why? 2012-05-09 18:46:32 Reply

At 5/9/12 06:33 PM, Protagonist wrote: Good thing my ideal weapon is a log of shit on the end of a stick. I mean, who would want to get hit with a log of shit? I know I wouldn't, I'd run.

I don't think zombies would care if they get hit by shit or not. People would, perhaps, if they're not already insane, but a zombie would go "Bitch plz" and keep shambling along.

Boomstick
Boomstick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Melancholy
Response to Katana in the Apocalypse? Why? 2012-05-09 18:53:22 Reply

I think a side arm baton would work just as good as a sharp weapon. I think in any apocalypse durability>effectiveness sometimes. Either that or a riot shield would be good for being on the run and defensive. I would rather have something that I can hit and confuse the things, rather than waste my time and kill each of them one by one.

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature
NeutralObjections
NeutralObjections
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Voice Actor
Response to Katana in the Apocalypse? Why? 2012-05-09 19:32:59 Reply

Crowbar all the way, man. Maybe a little unwieldy, but with practice it's a perfect bludgeon and priceless tool.

DarkShadowblade
DarkShadowblade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Katana in the Apocalypse? Why? 2012-05-09 19:41:23 Reply

At 5/9/12 06:53 PM, MrRager wrote: I think a side arm baton would work just as good as a sharp weapon. I think in any apocalypse durability>effectiveness sometimes. Either that or a riot shield would be good for being on the run and defensive. I would rather have something that I can hit and confuse the things, rather than waste my time and kill each of them one by one.

A riot shield is Very cumbersome and won't protect your back, and at times, makes your back more vulnerable.

Baton's can work, put how long would it take/how many hits until your able to successfully destroy the brain?

For Me, I'll probably sharpen many pairs of Real Drumsticks that I've had since I was like 10 and use those, with some of them, I re-created them and sanded them again myself due to overuse. They're reliable, easy to carry and hold, and Since I've had them for so long, I'm quite used to them. Also, a sharp Drumstick is able to pierce the skull with ease.

Viva La Liquid Funk Baby. Keep it Mellow for all our sakes.
For Crap Nobody Cares About

BBS Signature
Kanon
Kanon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Gamer
Response to Katana in the Apocalypse? Why? 2012-05-09 20:02:58 Reply

At 12/27/11 05:51 PM, SolidToad wrote:
At 12/27/11 05:41 PM, MrPercie wrote: I have to say what completely bollcoks your arguments is

a sword chipping, breaking and shattering from hitting unarmoured flesh, the same swords which can be bashed against hard steel plate armour multiple times and take little damage?

The armor types that katanas were put up against were made of small fibers usually from either bamboo or Leather, Sure a heavy edged sword could cleave through easily, but compared to their blades, lightweight armor, and intense training and meditation, Before you got anywhere close to a samurai, you'd be dead before you could raise your blade. Not to mention with the training of bushido, you learn the blade is just as useful as your own arm, it gets injured you take care of it.

Not unarmored flesh. if katana steel hits against bones a couple times, it will chip, easily. the "swords that are bashed against hard steel plate armour" are low carbon, which makes the metal more flexible, because there's less carbon to bind everything together. They don't have as sharp of an edge, but are more durable. those are classical longswords and western-style swords.

This guy knows what he's talking about about, on a sidenote Katanas weren't created for "hacking" people apart, but mostly to immobilize enemy soldiers or in rare cases Lethal slashes from the collar bone region down toward the stomach region have been a major part of bushido training.

Katanas are completely different, they have a high carbon construct from the "damascus forging" (which doesn't exist anymore) and thus have a very sharp edge, but are not as flexible as the other blades. Samurais carried MULTIPLE swords with them specifically for that reason, so they wouldn't be fucked in combat if their weapon broke.

This is both true and false, While true if their main blade broke they could use the others as backup, the longest blade was their primary in open terrain, usually while seiging other territories, their second blade was used for close encounters due to it's size and easy manueverability, the smallest blade, was the only weapon to never see action, not even to cut anothers throat, but to end said holders life if they took the honorable way out.

PSN: Tysonizer, Best Thread of 2012.

BBS Signature
thegarbear14
thegarbear14
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Katana in the Apocalypse? Why? 2012-05-09 20:48:45 Reply

f the gurkhi's, katanas and cipyerkas.... go with a bebout dagger...

well for close range anyway... pretty badass imo.....

Katana in the Apocalypse? Why?

BBS Signature
Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Katana in the Apocalypse? Why? 2012-05-09 20:51:13 Reply

At 12/27/11 05:52 PM, Ryanson wrote: Katanas are just cooler. No other reason is needed.

erp so kewl lol japan is soooooooo tight bro ye im going to chinatown buy some cheap katanas right away bro yo ill be so cooooooooooool.

Boss
Boss
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Katana in the Apocalypse? Why? 2012-05-09 20:52:34 Reply

i think maybe you have dumb friends who think katanas are cool

I'm an instigator

BBS Signature
Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Katana in the Apocalypse? Why? 2012-05-09 21:01:29 Reply

At 5/9/12 08:53 PM, GoodFish wrote:
At 5/9/12 08:51 PM, Gambit wrote:
At 12/27/11 05:52 PM, Ryanson wrote: Katanas are just cooler. No other reason is needed.
erp so kewl lol japan is soooooooo tight bro ye im going to chinatown buy some cheap katanas right away bro yo ill be so cooooooooooool.
Ever heard a girl say "I like him, but he doesn't own any replica 15th Century Japanese swords."

All the time. That and the famous "I'm a BBS mod" pick up line. Best pussy magnet EVER.

Entice
Entice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Katana in the Apocalypse? Why? 2012-05-09 21:05:47 Reply

At 5/9/12 08:02 PM, Kanon wrote: The armor types that katanas were put up against were made of small fibers usually from either bamboo or Leather, Sure a heavy edged sword could cleave through easily, but compared to their blades, lightweight armor, and intense training and meditation, Before you got anywhere close to a samurai, you'd be dead before you could raise your blade. Not to mention with the training of bushido, you learn the blade is just as useful as your own arm, it gets injured you take care of it.

No, samurai used a variety of armor. This is recorded history. Depending on the time period they could be wearing chainmail, metal plate, laminar, lamillar, scale etc.

Oh, and they didn't use swords as primary weapons. The sword didn't get it's "spiritual" recognition until the Edo Period. There are recorded duals before then that involved the use of bows.

Not unarmored flesh. if katana steel hits against bones a couple times, it will chip, easily. the "swords that are bashed against hard steel plate armour" are low carbon, which makes the metal more flexible, because there's less carbon to bind everything together. They don't have as sharp of an edge, but are more durable. those are classical longswords and western-style swords.

Western swords were NOT low carbon. No sword is designed to be bashed against plate armor, period. There are better weapons for the jobs. Swords that did encounter plate armor were designed to thrust through gaps. A steel plate cannot be hacked through with a melee weapon, but it can be crushed with blunt weapons and occasionally pierced.

The primary weapons of the battlefield samurai were the bow, club, and spear, and naginata, not the sword. The primary weapons of the knight were the mace, warhammer, lance, spear, and axe.

Also remember that even when plate armor was developed, only the richest of knights or high ranking soldiers could afford a full, up-to-date plate suit. It became a common site on the battle but not common to wear.

Katanas are completely different, they have a high carbon construct from the "damascus forging" (which doesn't exist anymore) and thus have a very sharp edge, but are not as flexible as the other blades. Samurais carried MULTIPLE swords with them specifically for that reason, so they wouldn't be fucked in combat if their weapon broke.

Good God, do some research. "Damasus" is not what traditional Japanese steel is called. Traditional smithing was NEVER lost. That's a common myth. You're just propagating common myths. It ceased for about five years after the end of World War II and then resumed afterwords.

They carried two swords (which by the way was only popular during the Edo Period) because the shorter was more convenient for indoor fighting and street fighting, the long sword was for open field use.

the smallest blade, was the only weapon to never see action, not even to cut anothers throat, but to end said holders life if they took the honorable way out.

Not even close.

LocoJoe
LocoJoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Katana in the Apocalypse? Why? 2012-05-09 21:08:01 Reply

This is why I bought a cold steel magnum kukri machete. It's cheap, sharp enough to cut off arms, and I can sharpen it easily. Perfect for CQC because if I can't swing the 17 in blade then I can use the pointy end.

Sig by BabiesAteMyDingo

BBS Signature