NubXilla
NubXilla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
New to the Art Portal Dec. 24th, 2011 @ 03:13 PM Reply

Hey,

I haven't been scouted yet and I wanted to get some feedback on some of my art.

Here's one of my images.
Anyone a Devil May Cry fan

New to the Art Portal

I actively try to make mistakes. Why do you ask? Well, it's a well known fact that human beings learn from making mistakes.

LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Artist
Response to New to the Art Portal Dec. 24th, 2011 @ 03:23 PM Reply

At 12/24/11 03:13 PM, NubXilla wrote: I haven't been scouted yet...

Here is some usefull information on scouting dont forget... dont ask to be scouted :3

and I wanted to get some feedback on some of my art.

have you done something that is an original and/or not filtered to death?....
asking for feedback on an image based on another isnt really going to help you improve...

BBS Signature
J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to New to the Art Portal Dec. 24th, 2011 @ 03:24 PM Reply

you're stuff is either traced or filter-raped... my money is on the second.

merry christmas btw.

New to the Art Portal

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
Peglay
Peglay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to New to the Art Portal Dec. 24th, 2011 @ 03:29 PM Reply

you look like a filter rapist...

You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else.

BBS Signature
BrainworkInProgress
BrainworkInProgress
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to New to the Art Portal Dec. 24th, 2011 @ 03:33 PM Reply

At 12/24/11 03:29 PM, Peglay wrote: you look like a filter rapist...

Burn him! Hang him!

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to New to the Art Portal Dec. 24th, 2011 @ 03:41 PM Reply

At 12/24/11 03:24 PM, J-qb wrote: you're stuff is either traced or filter-raped... my money is on the second.
merry christmas btw.

Some of it is the former, some of it is the later.
I compared his starter pic to the original, couldn't find a filter to completely replicate his starting pic, seems more like a sloppy trace/paint over.

NubXilla
NubXilla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to New to the Art Portal Dec. 24th, 2011 @ 04:12 PM Reply

I neither traced or... did whatever filtering is (Is filtering an effect or something?) I did use a reference image though, obviously. I'm the guy who looks at something and says, "I want/need to draw that". But now I'm just using GIMP instead of drawing by hand.

Below is a hand-drawn sketch of Deathwing I started awhile ago. I thought it was sick, so I started to draw it. Here's a link to the reference image.
<a>http://walls.free.total-wallpapers.co m/free-wallpapers/2139/wow-deathwing-cat aclysm-world-of-warcraft.jpg<a>

New to the Art Portal

I actively try to make mistakes. Why do you ask? Well, it's a well known fact that human beings learn from making mistakes.

NubXilla
NubXilla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to New to the Art Portal Dec. 24th, 2011 @ 04:18 PM Reply

And might I remind you that, "All criticism must be constructive. The art forum is intended to be a POSITIVE environment and negativity is not welcome here." - NG Art forum rules.

Havegum
Havegum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to New to the Art Portal Dec. 24th, 2011 @ 04:24 PM Reply

Well, I'd suggest drawing your own stuff. Using references is fine, but instead of copying a single reference image, try using several different ones to draw your own version.

BBS Signature
NubXilla
NubXilla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to New to the Art Portal Dec. 24th, 2011 @ 04:27 PM Reply

At 12/24/11 03:23 PM, LegolaSS wrote: have you done something that is an original and/or not filtered to death?....
asking for feedback on an image based on another isnt really going to help you improve...

Here's a self-portrait I did entirely in GIMP. It's the same sort of style as you can probably see.

New to the Art Portal

NubXilla
NubXilla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to New to the Art Portal Dec. 24th, 2011 @ 04:30 PM Reply

At 12/24/11 04:24 PM, Havegum wrote:

:Using references is fine, but instead of copying a single reference image, try using several different ones to draw your own version.

Sure, do you like Dead Space btw?

New to the Art Portal

Havegum
Havegum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to New to the Art Portal Dec. 24th, 2011 @ 04:44 PM Reply

At 12/24/11 04:30 PM, NubXilla wrote: Sure, do you like Dead Space btw?

Haven't played it.

Also, by using several references I meant more something like this

BBS Signature
NubXilla
NubXilla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to New to the Art Portal Dec. 24th, 2011 @ 05:11 PM Reply

At 12/24/11 04:44 PM, Havegum wrote:
Also, by using several references I meant more something like this

That's almost exactly what I do. The only difference is that I try to match the reference image near perfectly (in terms of proportions, colours, shading, etc).

I'll whip up an image of a well-known video game character, not using a reference picture if the internet would have it so.

Who should I draw?

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to New to the Art Portal Dec. 24th, 2011 @ 05:38 PM Reply

At 12/24/11 05:11 PM, NubXilla wrote: Who should I draw?

Bonk from Bonk's Adventure...
Hey... you didn't say it had to be a current popular character :3

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
Lundsfryd
Lundsfryd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to New to the Art Portal Dec. 24th, 2011 @ 05:46 PM Reply

Come on dude. Give us some credit. It's so obvious that you did NOT make those pictures from scratch. It insulting that you keep up the act. Post your pencil drawings and then we can give you some proper feedback. Quit wasteing our time please.

World Famous Kasper Lundsfryd Illustrations
nilfisk

BBS Signature
NubXilla
NubXilla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to New to the Art Portal Dec. 24th, 2011 @ 05:49 PM Reply

At 12/24/11 05:46 PM, Lundsfryd wrote: Come on dude. Give us some credit. It's so obvious that you did NOT make those pictures from scratch. It insulting that you keep up the act. Post your pencil drawings and then we can give you some proper feedback. Quit wasteing our time please.

I did draw them from scratch, in GIMP. I just look back and forth between my GIMP window and the image I'm drawing.

NubXilla
NubXilla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to New to the Art Portal Dec. 24th, 2011 @ 05:51 PM Reply

At 12/24/11 05:38 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
Bonk from Bonk's Adventure...
Hey... you didn't say it had to be a current popular character :3

I will draw Bonk! I'll do a hand-drawn version first as proof to the haters, then I'll colour and do touch ups if necessary in GIMP afterwards.

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to New to the Art Portal Dec. 24th, 2011 @ 06:01 PM Reply

At 12/24/11 04:12 PM, NubXilla wrote: I neither traced or... did whatever filtering is (Is filtering an effect or something?)

yeah filtering is slapping on effects in photoshop or whatever program.
If you didn't trace them, did you use a grid to help replicate these pics?

BBS Signature
AcidicSavior
AcidicSavior
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to New to the Art Portal Dec. 24th, 2011 @ 06:24 PM Reply

I myself use Gimp, Gimp v.2.6 to be exact, i have used the filters which are fairly decent and any image can be filtered to hell (ive tried just to get used to the filters) and i can replicate these "scratches" just as how you are displaying them doesnt mean i "drew" it, these are no-no's. Put up your pencil drawings.

NubXilla
NubXilla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to New to the Art Portal Dec. 24th, 2011 @ 06:27 PM Reply

At 12/24/11 06:01 PM, J-qb wrote:
yeah filtering is slapping on effects in photoshop or whatever program.
If you didn't trace them, did you use a grid to help replicate these pics?

Thanks for the definition. I do not use a grid, is there a grid function in GIMP? Anyways, it's simple really: I just look at the picture, then look back at my drawing, look at picture, back at drawing repeat.

In other news, here's my picture of Bonk, drew it up in like 5 minutes. I'll start the GIMP'ing of it now.

New to the Art Portal

NubXilla
NubXilla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to New to the Art Portal Dec. 24th, 2011 @ 06:29 PM Reply

At 12/24/11 06:24 PM, AcidicSavior wrote: I myself use Gimp, Gimp v.2.6 to be exact, i have used the filters which are fairly decent and any image can be filtered to hell (ive tried just to get used to the filters) and i can replicate these "scratches" just as how you are displaying them doesnt mean i "drew" it, these are no-no's. Put up your pencil drawings.

The only effects I did use was the occasional blur on layers, opacity changes, colourizing and sometimes I'd use a neon or alien glow (you'll know those cuz you use GIMP too). But all the 'scratching' effect was done with a normal circle brush. It takes awhile to do like that, even my lines were done with 'brush scratching', if you will.

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to New to the Art Portal Dec. 24th, 2011 @ 06:30 PM Reply

At 12/24/11 06:27 PM, NubXilla wrote: In other news, here's my picture of Bonk,

Sweet got a picture of Bonk
:3 ok back to lurking now...

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
NubXilla
NubXilla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to New to the Art Portal Dec. 24th, 2011 @ 06:37 PM Reply

At 12/24/11 06:30 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
3 ok back to lurking now...

Achievement unlocked! :3

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to New to the Art Portal Dec. 24th, 2011 @ 06:38 PM Reply

At 12/24/11 05:51 PM, NubXilla wrote: I will draw Bonk! I'll do a hand-drawn version first as proof to the haters, then I'll colour and do touch ups if necessary in GIMP afterwards.

Please don't interpret my remarks as hating, I just find it kinda hard to believe that you would manage to replicate the shape pretty much dead on, but other aspects of the drawing don't exhibit a lot of skill.. regardless of that I usually prefer unaltered (or very limitedly altered) pencil work to stuff heavily edited in gimp.

BBS Signature
NubXilla
NubXilla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to New to the Art Portal Dec. 24th, 2011 @ 07:10 PM Reply

At 12/24/11 06:38 PM, J-qb wrote:
Please don't interpret my remarks as hating, I just find it kinda hard to believe that you would manage to replicate the shape pretty much dead on, but other aspects of the drawing don't exhibit a lot of skill.. regardless of that I usually prefer unaltered (or very limitedly altered) pencil work to stuff heavily edited in gimp.

Understandable, I like the untouched pencil drawings too. I do get disbelief a lot, for example in my first class of university, people didn't believe me, so I made them watch me do it. I could've spent more time on the "other aspects" but I enjoy the feeling of a sketch, and I like the final product. Replication is what I'm good at, so I use it a lot. I will be sure to "exhibit a lot of skill", at the least maybe an extra 30 mins fine-tuning an image. I'll be sure to upload more pencil sketches as well.

NubXilla
NubXilla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to New to the Art Portal Dec. 24th, 2011 @ 07:22 PM Reply

At 12/24/11 06:30 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
3 ok back to lurking now...

Coloured it in GIMP, did a few touch-ups. Sketch and GIMP took about 30 mins.

New to the Art Portal

Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to New to the Art Portal Dec. 24th, 2011 @ 07:28 PM Reply

You should make a time lapse of your drawings.

NubXilla
NubXilla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to New to the Art Portal Dec. 24th, 2011 @ 07:41 PM Reply

At 12/24/11 07:28 PM, Kashi wrote: You should make a time lapse of your drawings.

I was thinking about doing that awhile ago. The only problem is recording the actual drawing because if it takes for example an hour to draw something, the file will be MASSIVE. I'll give it a shot though. Should I do free draw or is there a character you want me to draw?

Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to New to the Art Portal Dec. 24th, 2011 @ 08:03 PM Reply

Since you seem to be good at dynamic poses, draw a completely made-up character performing a roundhouse kick, thanks ;)

lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to New to the Art Portal Dec. 24th, 2011 @ 09:00 PM Reply

Let's not jump the gun here, extremely faithful copying can produce results similar to gridding or tracing.
Also, gridding, tracing and copying are all great learning techniques- it just becomes a problem when artists a) present other artist's compositions as their own or b) use copying as a crutch, and never develop the ability to devise their own images, which is just sad.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

BBS Signature