Respond to this Topic
Voltage
Voltage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to My SOPA Post Dec. 20th, 2011 @ 04:24 PM Reply

At 12/20/11 04:13 PM, GeneralJ wrote: If anyone is keeping up with the entire process, the SOPA bill has been canceled. Reason: Heavy public outcry. Voice does matter, but no one has one. because of this, they expect us to follow along like mindless sheep every time, because it has yet to change.

Anyway, the bill has been canceled, at least until 2012. If we keep pushing it will never get passed.

As far as the NDAA, it is stated many times in the bill that it cannot, will not, and may never be altered to affect existing citizens of the united states, unless they are directly affiliated with terrorists in the 2001 attack, so you can tell the government to fuck off as much as you want (doesn't mean they won't change it anyway; they're a bunch of morons)...

I know it's not a direct reference to the bill, but according to current Wikipedia source:

"An amendment to the Act that would have explicitly forbidden the indefinite detention of American citizens, withouttrial, was rejected."

Starogre
Starogre
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to My SOPA Post Dec. 20th, 2011 @ 04:28 PM Reply

It's being discussed again tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed dudettes

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature
DrMackFoxx
DrMackFoxx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Musician
Response to My SOPA Post Dec. 20th, 2011 @ 04:29 PM Reply

I think this track in the Audio Portal helps sum up a lot of this malarkey. http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/4 56649

GeneralJ
GeneralJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to My SOPA Post Dec. 20th, 2011 @ 04:32 PM Reply

The bill was cancelled, I'm gonna assume it's NOT gonna be discussed tomorrow? I could be misunderstand that.
Any way, the current NDAA bill reads:

"(e) AUTHORITIES.-Nothing in this section shall be construed to affect existing law or authorities, relating to the detention of United States citizens, lawful resident aliens of the United States or any other persons who are captured or arrested in the United States.

(b) APPLICABILITY TO UNITED STATES CITIZENS AND LAWFUL RESIDENT ALIENS.- (1) UNITED STATES CITIZENS.-The requirement to detain a person in militaty custody under this section does not extend to citizens of the United States. (2) LAWFUL RESIDENT ALIENS.-The requirement to detain a person in military custody under this section does not extend to a lawful resident alien of the United States on the basis of conduct taking place within the United States, except to the extent permitted by the Constitution of the United States"

If it was rejected, it was not included in the current bill as it was passed.

Again I could be wrong.

Viktor
Viktor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Melancholy
Response to My SOPA Post Dec. 20th, 2011 @ 04:37 PM Reply

Good thing my IP is set in Canada, as well as my Subnet and such.

Hacsev
Hacsev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Programmer
Response to My SOPA Post Dec. 20th, 2011 @ 04:38 PM Reply

So was this the reason why all my audio got deleted?

$$$ | Sig by TheDingo | Awesome Art | Strawberry Dodge

BBS Signature
dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to My SOPA Post Dec. 20th, 2011 @ 04:43 PM Reply

Fuck yeah, I glad Newgrounds speak out!

What comes around goes around...

BBS Signature
DeadEndWorldStudios
DeadEndWorldStudios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to My SOPA Post Dec. 20th, 2011 @ 04:44 PM Reply

At 12/20/11 12:28 PM, DeadEndWorldStudios wrote: Dose useing Sprites fall under the piracy thing?
It really comes down to how individual companies want to handle how their IP is used on-line, but yes, under SOPA we could be shut down for having sprite movies.

Thanks for the info Tom, I really hope it dosn't come to that.

Sig by ToastedToastyToast

BBS Signature
dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to My SOPA Post Dec. 20th, 2011 @ 04:49 PM Reply

At 12/20/11 04:37 PM, Viktor wrote: Good thing my IP is set in Canada, as well as my Subnet and such.

Good... Not. Don't you think Canada be that naive? It follows every step of the US Big Brother.

BBS Signature
JoSilver
JoSilver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to My SOPA Post Dec. 20th, 2011 @ 04:53 PM Reply

Hopefully SOPA will be nothing more then an unpleasant memory rather then a reality.

hijinxed
hijinxed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to My SOPA Post Dec. 20th, 2011 @ 05:00 PM Reply

Seriously.

My SOPA Post

Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to My SOPA Post Dec. 20th, 2011 @ 05:02 PM Reply

At 12/20/11 04:38 PM, Hacsev wrote: So was this the reason why all my audio got deleted?

No, because SOPA isn't law yet. A DCMA request may have been the culprit but we're talking about government intervention here.

But Newgrounds is fully within its rights to have a stricter policy than base-level legislation. We want to foster more original artistic endeavors. A song in the audio portal may very well be safe in regards to DCMA or SOPA but still be taken down by the site, not to cave to liability fears, but to foster more original works.

¥ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ¥
¥ ¥
Blag [updated: 4/20/2014] ¥ ¥

BBS Signature
dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to My SOPA Post Dec. 20th, 2011 @ 05:04 PM Reply

At 12/20/11 02:47 PM, Freaki-boy92 wrote: thing is, all of us foreign types (that includes me, i am not american) will be affected by this- how many of the websites do we go on day-to-day will be affected by SOPA? for example: I use on a regular basis the following websites:

Remember 90% servers of these sites are located within North America. Of course Youtube fucks up since it hosts many copyrighted materials. Same to 4chan, I think the cops wanted long time ago a good reason to get rid of that hellhole.

-XKCD

This would be the exception.

Pro-SOPA companies like Sony, Universal Studio, Fox Studio, RIAA and surprise the DHS/Homeland Security's employees caught pirating copyright materials.

Fucking ironic!!!

BBS Signature
Rawnern
Rawnern
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to My SOPA Post Dec. 20th, 2011 @ 05:05 PM Reply

Um... this is just dumb!

Starogre
Starogre
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to My SOPA Post Dec. 20th, 2011 @ 05:05 PM Reply

At 12/20/11 04:32 PM, GeneralJ wrote: The bill was cancelled, I'm gonna assume it's NOT gonna be discussed tomorrow?

It wasn't cancelled.........what does cancel even mean

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature
DevourerJay
DevourerJay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to My SOPA Post Dec. 20th, 2011 @ 05:09 PM Reply

It better not ever pass...

corporate greed at its finest... *sigh*

DevourerJay~Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
Sig By Xeno.
Formerly known as MissingNYC

BBS Signature
JustShawn
JustShawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My SOPA Post Dec. 20th, 2011 @ 05:15 PM Reply

Censorship, its becoming a pain in the ass. Even online gaming communities are stepping towards the censorship issue. I mean shit, who woulda thought that a censor program released on disc based games would censor some of the most commonly used words such as:

After
Together
Sometime
Ordeal
pwned
Comment
nub, noob, narb, etc.

The list goes on, but simple words like that are now being BLOCKED! Im like...seriously? WTF were you smoking when you created this POS?

Im against the SOPA act anyway. The internet is a Free Speech Domain where everyone can speak their mind without legal worry excluding plagiarism. That, I can understand...but just censoring words, and topics involving government and various topics surrounding it? F#$% that...

That is all.

I am who I am, Take me for me or walk away.
~Shawn M

Conal
Conal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to My SOPA Post Dec. 20th, 2011 @ 05:16 PM Reply

We don't need America on the internet anyway.

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
Eammy
Eammy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Artist
Response to My SOPA Post Dec. 20th, 2011 @ 05:17 PM Reply

SOPA: Sons Of the Patriot Act

Here's an interesting article on SOPA: http://daeity.blogspot.com/2011/12/sopa-
yes-please.html

Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to My SOPA Post Dec. 20th, 2011 @ 05:20 PM Reply

At 12/20/11 05:05 PM, Starogre wrote:
At 12/20/11 04:32 PM, GeneralJ wrote: The bill was cancelled, I'm gonna assume it's NOT gonna be discussed tomorrow?
It wasn't cancelled.........what does cancel even mean

You are correct - it is not canceled but the hearings for it have been delayed.

¥ ¥

BBS Signature
NeverHundred
NeverHundred
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to My SOPA Post Dec. 20th, 2011 @ 05:27 PM Reply

Newgrounds needs to get some Lobbyists and maybe buy some politicians. I'm only half joking here, I wish that our representatives listened to the people, but that's obviously not how things work anymore. The reason that SOPA has so much support is because the entertianment industry in hollywood and the music industry are paying for it. Of course Google, Facebook and maybe even Youtube might start some counter lobbying and bidding.

Newgrounds might not be the biggest kid on the cyberblock but you guys do pretty well for yourselves. Might have to invest that money a little politically if you want save the day. It'll be more likely to work than signing any petitions or writing angry letters to representatives that will go unread.

Than again, that's just my cynical take on things. Maybe the law will get watered down or underused if it passes. Maybe they will decide not to pass it, or hopefully the other big internet companies will be able to do all the dirty work to prevent the law from passing.

BBS Signature
phantomlassuk
phantomlassuk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to My SOPA Post Dec. 20th, 2011 @ 05:48 PM Reply

This bill I'm very aware of seen loads of videos about it on Youtube, fuck these companies excuse my language you now lost me as a customer. The bill does effect everyone people outside the US so many US sites look how many sites are american this bill will be a huge shock and horrible nightmare to everyone. I cant vote not from the us.

Archer I'm a good shot!

GodOfVideoGames
GodOfVideoGames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Game Developer
Response to My SOPA Post Dec. 20th, 2011 @ 05:52 PM Reply

According to House.Gov the markup on Dec 21 is postponed. Does anyone know till when?

AcidX
AcidX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to My SOPA Post Dec. 20th, 2011 @ 05:52 PM Reply

I'm glad you're raising awareness of this. I'm not from the US but no doubt the UK will try and follow suit with some stupid clone law if this gets passed. It's a stupid idea that goes against everything the internet is about. Particularly the right to a fair trial through court. It's effectively taking away more of our rights to free speech. As the internet is for everyone really. This is something you can't afford not to sign if you're a true seed of the web. Unless you want all your favourite sites to become SOPA logos of course.

BBS Signature
Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to My SOPA Post Dec. 20th, 2011 @ 05:54 PM Reply

At 12/20/11 05:52 PM, GodOfVideoGames wrote: According to House.Gov the markup on Dec 21 is postponed. Does anyone know till when?

Until after the holiday so probably the first week of January.

¥ ¥

BBS Signature
Lemonardo
Lemonardo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to My SOPA Post Dec. 20th, 2011 @ 06:05 PM Reply

If your website's domain gets taken down, Tom, you're going to have to find some way of letting everybody know the IP address to this website. The only problem is that, that's a lot of e-mails.

BBS Signature
DJM00se
DJM00se
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to My SOPA Post Dec. 20th, 2011 @ 06:09 PM Reply

so does this mean if i make a sampled hiphop beat (along with other newgrounds users who do the same), then i can get in trouble because of this bill???

GeneralJ
GeneralJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to My SOPA Post Dec. 20th, 2011 @ 06:15 PM Reply

At 12/20/11 05:52 PM, GodOfVideoGames wrote: According to House.Gov the markup on Dec 21 is postponed. Does anyone know till when?

Some time in 2012. No definitive date as far as I know.
And that's what I meant by cancelled...

Archonic
Archonic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to My SOPA Post Dec. 20th, 2011 @ 06:16 PM Reply

25,000 sigs in two days...shows how many people are opposed.

satanbrain is always wrong
EGB || Bat Crew || Sig by EmmaVolt

BBS Signature
Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to My SOPA Post Dec. 20th, 2011 @ 06:22 PM Reply

At 12/20/11 06:09 PM, DJM00se wrote: so does this mean if i make a sampled hiphop beat (along with other newgrounds users who do the same), then i can get in trouble because of this bill???

You could potentially already get in trouble but under SOPA, Newgrounds.com in its entirety can be wiped from the web because of it and anywhere you posted a link to your song...so facebook, twitter, reddit, etc. would be out the window too because they either hosted your infringing content or linked to it.

¥ ¥

BBS Signature