Valio
Valio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-29 03:56:14 Reply

With the delay of SOPA it probably gets worse.
...and probably there will be future bills that will be way more worse than this one if we don't start to fix democracy in the US.
Read this interview with Lawrence Lessig, the lawyer that invented Creative Commons, to find out why

http://www.bostonreview.net/BR36.6/lawre nce_lessig_republic_lost_campaign_financ e_reform_rootstrikers.php

BBS Signature
mmine1
mmine1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-29 19:14:54 Reply

Yeah the government really are fuckers. Fuck them if they pass it. Im hopping the border into Canada, or I'll just look to get the IP addresses of the pirate bay.

BoredLooney
BoredLooney
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-29 22:19:40 Reply

According to Wikipedia, most of the news channels are owned by organizations that SUPPORT SOPA.

Here's a link to the list of SOPA supporters:

<a>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_
organizations_that_support_the_Stop_Onli ne_Piracy_Act

Here's a link to the list of news channels:

<a>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_
news_channels

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA- no.

madnessman97
madnessman97
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Audiophile
Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-29 23:01:43 Reply

ill take u up on that bet

Madnessman98

qunnai
qunnai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-30 22:46:17 Reply

If SOPA passes, the Internet is ruined. RUINED, I say!

Masterofallz
Masterofallz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-31 04:01:17 Reply

At 12/20/11 11:56 AM, Natick wrote: $50 says it doesn't pass.

Even if it doesn't pass, you gotta ask yourself, what kind of government is ruling over the American people right now? This law *clearly* undermines the first amendment, and it should've failed in lobby immediately. But it didn't. It went to House.

Ron Paul 2012, everybody.
JWADE
JWADE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-31 10:13:47 Reply

I know right

My SOPA Post

ThrashBeaver
ThrashBeaver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-31 11:50:13 Reply

Shit like this law is why the rest of the world hates the U.S. , although we know not everybody over there is agreeing with stuff like this. I signed a few petitions and hope SOPA does not pass.

HyperTrough
HyperTrough
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-31 13:51:37 Reply

At 12/20/11 11:56 AM, Natick wrote: $50 says it doesn't pass.

$50 it does pass.

90% of the politicians voting 'for' SOPA barely know how to start up their own PCs. We're all doomed.

lol fuk u

BloodyN00b
BloodyN00b
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-31 14:36:38 Reply

At 12/28/11 09:14 AM, BarryLyndonIII wrote: What's truly hilarious is that "SOPA" means soup in Spanish.

But still, SOPA sucks. But soup is great.

In Swedish "sopa" means either "a piece of trash" or "to sweep". It made no sense to me at first, I thought americans were improving their waste disposal systems. Then I realized that it's about sweeping away the Internet as we know it. It's funny how it translates =D

YomToxic
YomToxic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Game Developer
Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-31 17:20:11 Reply

SOPA means trash in Swedish?!

NOW IT MAKES SENSE!

Well, I'm gonna take my own advice and start helping the activists.

DevilKadams
DevilKadams
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-31 17:25:58 Reply

Whats stupid about this whole thing in the first place, is that it's not going to stop piracy, people will find a way around it and continue to do it, all it does is hurt the common users who may have accidentally (Or knowingly) used a copyrighted image/mp3/whatever.

It's clear that these old guys in congress are like "Oh god, the internet is a scary beast that must be beaten into submission with eggsalad sandwhiches" while they're watching their golden girls reruns.

BoredLooney
BoredLooney
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-31 18:51:39 Reply

At 12/31/11 10:13 AM, JWADE wrote: I know right

THAT PICTURE BETTER NOT GET NEWGROUNDS IN TROUBLE WITH SOPA!!!

LordMartin-Mac
LordMartin-Mac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Gamer
Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-31 23:58:52 Reply

I hope this, "SOPA" organzation or whatever will never happen. Because if it will then that sucks. :(

LM-M// Twitter:@Uncle_MartinMac/ PSN:LordMartinMac/

BBS Signature
DaveRaymond
DaveRaymond
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to My SOPA Post 2012-01-01 10:57:40 Reply

you know whats funny, is that people can be imprisoned under sopa. and not just in the u.s. there was a case of a british guy who had some pirated material on his site, and he was brought over from britain to the u.s for trial! dont know the full details, but it was on a youtube vid.

asshead1
asshead1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to My SOPA Post 2012-01-01 11:45:35 Reply

At 12/28/11 03:09 AM, CostaRic wrote:
If this comes to pass, then the only thing positive I can say about all of this is that I could tell my Grand kids that I lived during the Golden Age of the internet while I was their age.
This actually made me feel bad and tremble in goosebumps...

The internet is going to die thanks to a bunch of fucken idiots who don't know shit about the internet, or even a computer as a matter of fact.

My understanding is that the internet in concept, is an extremely large connection of computers world wide. Therefore how can any one entity claim ownership or authority over other users and computers.

The lack of mainstream media attention just show how high up this goes. Clearly law markers want this to go under the table.

The internet is the last "place" left unregulated, or in other words FREE. I believe powerful people hate the internet for what it is, being free and organically made by the people of the world. Even if by fluke this doesn't pass, they will try again and again using different bills with different names, all with the same goal.

I also believe when/if this does pass the dns blocking will being slowly not to start an up roar.

Ironically the US of A is the country that needs and benefits most from the internet, this bill will hurt e-commerce. Especially for the little guys e-shop. Perhaps this bad piece of shit legislation will be the tipping point for the economy.

My advice; get software which bypasses dns blocking, let your un-"officials" know your pist off as fucken hell and won't take there stupid ignorant bullshit anymore.
And I'll do everything I can to raise hell on earth for this outrage.

SpencerOmega
SpencerOmega
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to My SOPA Post 2012-01-01 18:33:35 Reply

Keep on fighting the good fight.

"And the television's spewing hate, Talk bout the rise of crime rates, Heard the broke state gonna say it, It's all sinking now and we're way too late," --- Tim Armstrong

Philmister978
Philmister978
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to My SOPA Post 2012-01-02 01:28:31 Reply

At 1/1/12 10:57 AM, DaveRaymond wrote: you know whats funny, is that people can be imprisoned under sopa. and not just in the u.s. there was a case of a british guy who had some pirated material on his site, and he was brought over from britain to the u.s for trial! dont know the full details, but it was on a youtube vid.

How in the holy love of fuck can that happen?

Next thing you know, the US will imprison other nations armies in order to arrest everyone in other countries.

That would suck ass.

I am King of the Muffin butts BITCH! Fuck yar.

jomarcenter
jomarcenter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Game Developer
Response to My SOPA Post 2012-01-02 03:10:46 Reply

we even have problems with this sopa thing...
we ran a game forums site and a game blog on you tube... which a company can shutdown our sites... if we didn't do anything to stop sopa...

Nickhatred
Nickhatred
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to My SOPA Post 2012-01-03 10:46:02 Reply

Want to know what I truly believe SOPA is? A blindfold. Thank goodness you mentioned the NDAA, Tom but listen everyone.

Technology has been pushed on us and we willingly took it for years because of all the accessibility it gives us to an unlimited amount of things. Now something like the SOPA bill being put out to limit our accessibility will get all our skirts ruffled because now the majority of us are defending this great thing we call internet.

Has anyone noticed how quiet and calm the NDAA bill was going through? Not even mainstream media does a report on it, that just goes to show we are being played. The NDAA is way more important then SOPA, spread the word on both these bills everyone.

joe9320
joe9320
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Gamer
Response to My SOPA Post 2012-01-04 22:52:54 Reply

Fight the good fight! Together we can end this trash once and for all, and preven tthe Internet from entering the Stupid Ages!

I still like Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven!

BBS Signature
Valio
Valio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to My SOPA Post 2012-01-05 22:12:54 Reply

The Senate is scheduled to vote on the internet censorship bill on Tuesday, January 24th, and unless we can find 41 senators to block the vote, it is going to pass. Will you meet with your senators during the January recess and ask them to vote it down?
http://americancensorship.org/

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My SOPA Post 2012-01-06 23:00:35 Reply

Even if it doesn't pass, you gotta ask yourself, what kind of government is ruling over the American people right now?

A stupid one, that's what. More to the point, the onyl good thing from this is that Obama said he would veto the bill, no matter what happens.

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
Sword-of-Kings
Sword-of-Kings
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to My SOPA Post 2012-01-07 16:37:48 Reply

At 1/6/12 11:00 PM, HiryuGouki wrote:
Even if it doesn't pass, you gotta ask yourself, what kind of government is ruling over the American people right now?
A stupid one, that's what. More to the point, the onyl good thing from this is that Obama said he would veto the bill, no matter what happens.

Even if Obama does veto it, congress can still override the veto.

Valio
Valio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to My SOPA Post 2012-01-10 17:09:13 Reply

This is a cool app

BBS Signature
Valio
Valio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to My SOPA Post 2012-01-14 05:58:21 Reply

Has the NG staff considered to participate in a blackout strike as was suggested by Reddit or by that loose conglomerate with Google, Wikipedia and other giants?
http://sopastrike.com/
http://www.ghacks.net/2011/12/30/interne t-giants-consider-sopa-strike/

Yes I know that this is a question which I'm probably not even in the position to ask. But then again this bill is not just bad for the US, but the worldwide Internet community as a whole for at least 3 reasons:
1) The US is the leading force behind the "war on piracy" and extending the boundaries of copyright worldwide. We have clear evidence with ACTA[1], in Sweden [2] and in Spain [3]. There are
likely more examples.
2) The US has currently still (directly or indirectly) a relatively high level of control over crucial Internet infrastructure; with SOPA they intend to exert worldwide control over generic TLDs such as .net
.com etc.
3) It's a direct attack against free speech worldwide; it's a terrible sign for a country where free speech has been held once so high

I'm certainly not even closely to beeing anti-US or similar; but this bill is just terrible to say the least and thus it needs to be fighted by all means, even by people who usually prefer not to give a s*** what happens in the US.

[1] http://www.p2pnet.net/story/48477
[2] http://falkvinge.net/2011/09/05/cable-re veals-extent-of-lapdoggery-from-swedish-
govt-on-copyright-monopoly/

[3] http://boingboing.net/2010/12/03/wikilea ks-cables-rev.html

BBS Signature
cousteau
cousteau
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Gamer
Response to My SOPA Post 2012-01-17 08:56:08 Reply

At 1/14/12 05:58 AM, Valio wrote: Has the NG staff considered to participate in a blackout strike as was suggested by Reddit or by that loose conglomerate with Google, Wikipedia and other giants?

I was about to propose that too. Tomorrow Internet is going to suck, but well.

BoredLooney
BoredLooney
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to My SOPA Post 2012-01-17 16:08:31 Reply

I wonder if they're doing this to lure attention away from Wikileaks

YooCooper
YooCooper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to My SOPA Post 2012-01-17 17:48:15 Reply

SOPA- Because if its not licensed pro-America out there, its probably shit that should be removed.

...The American government is trolling us.