New Topic Respond to this Topic
EmmDubya
EmmDubya
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Audiophile
Orcs Must Die 2011-12-20 10:03:46 Reply

Orcs Must Die is a recently released indie action game developed by the studio Robot Entertainment. Your character is a War Mage, and your job is to keep safe a number of magical rifts, portals to the human homeland. Trying to pass through these rifts are legions of orcs and other such creatures, whom in a variety of different levels you must hold off in order to keep them from pouring into the homeland of humans to plunder and destroy the peaceful villages and towns.

At your disposal are a variety of weapons, traps and minions. The weapons are varied, going from your base crossbow to blades, wind rings (think the force of Star Wars), and vampiric gauntlets. The same can be said for the traps and minions, which include sticky tar traps, floor mounted flame-throwers and fuckhuge sword-swinging paladins to stand by your side.

I picked the game up this morning, and am absolutely loving it thus far. It has some of the fastest gameplay I have experienced in quite a while and thinking of new ways to use traps and such in conjunction can feel very rewarding when you finally get it right and end up just picking up the kills after having struggled before.

I'd say that it's very worth picking up right now in the Steam Christmas sales as the game is selling for just under three pounds in the UK, with both DLC packs that have already been released selling for 1.23 right now, coming to a total of just 4.22 for the fully expanded game. I'm sure that in the US prices are similarly low (you tend to get marginally better deals anyway), and urge anybody sitting on the fence to buy the game.

Beneath are a few videos demonstrating the game:
Announcement Trailer
Wall Blades Trap Spotlight
Artifacts of Power DLC
Lost Adventures DLC
Sips Plays

Orcs Must Die

Formerly known as mwmike | I'm moderately active on last.fm | Before you post, read these. Please.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Orcs Must Die 2011-12-20 10:21:51 Reply

I picked it up when it was on sale a few weeks back and did the first few levels. Didn't really get into it. Will give it another go, if only to get the new sale achievement thing.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
EmmDubya
EmmDubya
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Audiophile
Response to Orcs Must Die 2011-12-20 11:02:43 Reply

At 12/20/11 10:21 AM, TheMaster wrote: I picked it up when it was on sale a few weeks back and did the first few levels. Didn't really get into it. Will give it another go, if only to get the new sale achievement thing.

Admittedly, it can really start to get a bit repetitive after a while. What I'm doing is playing two levels then spending fourty or so on Newgrounds or playing another game, then swapping back to the game for another two levels or so. Just a bit of variation between levels helps to keep it interesting and still extremely fun.

Formerly known as mwmike | I'm moderately active on last.fm | Before you post, read these. Please.

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Audiophile
Response to Orcs Must Die 2011-12-20 13:35:32 Reply

This is one game I'll be giving a shot soon, especially when I bought it last night during the Steam sale. I'll be playing loads of games as a result but hopefully this one stands out better. Something about the title of the game makes me love it already.

[ BBS Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to Orcs Must Die 2011-12-20 14:01:04 Reply

Played a few levels, it's okay although I find I have to rely a little too much on button mashing for my liking, I'm on the level where they introduce ogres and maybe i just have an overreliance on archers but I find myself just having to run around spamming the wind belt and the crossbow to save my hide

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Orcs Must Die 2011-12-20 16:31:30 Reply

At 12/20/11 02:01 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: Played a few levels, it's okay although I find I have to rely a little too much on button mashing for my liking, I'm on the level where they introduce ogres and maybe i just have an overreliance on archers but I find myself just having to run around spamming the wind belt and the crossbow to save my hide

I think you're supposed to just scrape through when you first get a level, and then come back once you have traps from later levels to go for the high scores. I couldn't see any way of 5-starring stuff beyond the first two or three levels on the first time around, anyway.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
EmmDubya
EmmDubya
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Audiophile
Response to Orcs Must Die 2011-12-20 19:46:33 Reply

At 12/20/11 02:01 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: I find myself just having to run around spamming the wind belt and the crossbow to save my hide

Although it could be said about the wind belt, the crossbow works far better when you take it a little slower. Even without trying, if you fire at a slightly slower rate (but still not slow), just at the right pace for the aiming reticule to get back to its normal size then simply firing into the horde without precise aim around head-height is pretty likely to get you a headshot which equates to an instant kill on the majority of mobs.

I generally rely moreso on traps than I do my own killings, however without being able to ease the numbers and get some personal crowd control going then it proves the traps are rarely enough on their own.

As for ogres, it's pretty much a matter of having your minions and traps easing the flow of regular enemies and when you get a minute to spare just spamming headshots - it's pretty difficult to miss, however they can take quite a few hits and in that time other orcs can end up getting past and then catching up with them and taking them out can be quite a task.

I just completed act one, and had an initial try at the first level of act two - which went horribly. I seemed to have it in control with just a few waves to go before I was suddenly and unexpectedly overwhelmed and ended up with defences stretched too thin. I ended the round up panic-crossbow-spamming with low health before falling into a pit of lava and dying from an environmental hazard. As I respawned, an ogre that I had not seen before had managed to make his way into the portal room along with enough orcs and kobolds to strip away all of my remaining tickets in just a few seconds.

I really need to improve quite a lot more. Oh well, 'tis just the first day that I've owned the game - plenty of time for practice. :3

At 12/20/11 01:35 PM, Bahamut wrote: This is one game I'll be giving a shot soon, especially when I bought it last night during the Steam sale.

It's certainly very fun, however a lot of people seem to have stopped playing rather early on, perhaps due to the reasons people have said above. I've only just completed the first act and only one person on my steam friends list to have continued on this far barring one. There were just five in the first place, but that's still a pretty lonely number. There's a lot of charm to the game as a whole, even if some of the protagonist's lines are a bit on the generic humour side of things based on his generally dimwitted interpretation.

BBS Signature
Obvious-M
Obvious-M
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Orcs Must Die 2011-12-20 20:30:26 Reply

Yeah I picked it up, runs perfectly on my old computer as well which is a bonus. It does feel a bit easy though, maybe I'm just not strategical.

Orcs Must Die

Gamertag- MarshallxDav | Steam ID- Eshneh | LastFM- MarshallNPK

BBS Signature
Anti-pie
Anti-pie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Orcs Must Die 2011-12-20 21:58:26 Reply

I'm so pissed I bought this game and not knowing that it won't run on my PC.

We're meat and that's it. So lets fuck it, fuck it, fuck it.
Minecraft: JuJitsuLipShitz

BBS Signature
EmmDubya
EmmDubya
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Audiophile
Response to Orcs Must Die 2011-12-20 22:05:56 Reply

At 12/20/11 09:58 PM, Anti-pie wrote: I'm so pissed I bought this game and not knowing that it won't run on my PC.

Wait, really? My current computer is a dusty old laptop with integrated graphics that struggles to run EU3 and barely grinds playable out of Team Fortress 2 (which now crashes all of the time) and I can run this game with the graphics turned up with excellent performance. It not running was an initial worry, but it certainly didn't stay after I booted the game up.

BBS Signature
Anti-pie
Anti-pie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Orcs Must Die 2011-12-21 16:41:17 Reply

At 12/20/11 10:05 PM, EmmDubya wrote:
At 12/20/11 09:58 PM, Anti-pie wrote: I'm so pissed I bought this game and not knowing that it won't run on my PC.
Wait, really?

I'm not sure why either. But when I try to open it it says failed to initialize the engine.

We're meat and that's it. So lets fuck it, fuck it, fuck it.
Minecraft: JuJitsuLipShitz

BBS Signature
EmmDubya
EmmDubya
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Audiophile
Response to Orcs Must Die 2011-12-25 09:26:11 Reply

At 12/21/11 04:41 PM, Anti-pie wrote: I'm not sure why either. But when I try to open it it says failed to initialize the engine.

This is the exact same issue I get with when I try and run Amnesia, although for me it takes until I attempt to open the game. It's a bit of a pain, but hopefully when I'm on a less destitute computer I'll be able to give that game another try and I'll be glad to have bought it. c:

BBS Signature
mrpwnzer
mrpwnzer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Orcs Must Die 2011-12-25 11:01:44 Reply

At 12/21/11 04:41 PM, Anti-pie wrote:
I'm not sure why either. But when I try to open it it says failed to initialize the engine.

I'm not really a computer expert, but have you tried un-installing DirectX and then re-installing perhaps? My friend had to do that and the game started up successfully.

Xbox live: C0n Queso
PSN: A-Spiky-Kitten
Steam: Baby Diesel

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Orcs Must Die 2011-12-25 11:03:21 Reply

Orcs are friends not food.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature