New Topic Respond to this Topic
polles
polles
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Why does Firefox keep doing this... Dec. 19th, 2011 @ 03:18 PM Reply

Every now and then, all of the sudden a bunch of new tabs open in a separate window. This is going to be very hard to explain so think about it for a minute, they all are a word I had just searched using the search bar built into Firefox (not a third party one). For example, If I had just searched "what day is the longest day in North America" It will open 9 new tabs and they will be what.com, day.com, is.com, the.com, longest.com, and so on. There are also ads that open randomly every 20 minutes or so that leads me to believe this is some sort of adware.

The thing is, I have no idea how this could have gotten on my computer or how to get rid of it. I never download anything other than movies off thepiratebay that are from people with the skulls (trusted, MVP, whatnot).

I ran a scan with malwarebytes already and two "trojan droppers" were detected but it said they were removed, I restarted the computer and this is still happening.

Any advice?

BBS Signature
GreatPowerfulTrixie
GreatPowerfulTrixie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Why does Firefox keep doing this... Dec. 19th, 2011 @ 03:21 PM Reply

the best answer is reformat your pc, be sure to backup your junk first.

Sig made by the awesome AnonymousOfCali.

BBS Signature
Winrar1337
Winrar1337
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Movie Buff
Response to Why does Firefox keep doing this... Dec. 19th, 2011 @ 03:22 PM Reply

At 12/19/11 03:21 PM, yoshikoshi wrote: the best answer is reformat your pc, be sure to backup your junk first.

Or just use Chrome because it's better.

trololololo lololo lololo

"Censorship is telling a man that he cannot have a steak just because a baby cannot chew it." - Mark Twain

Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Why does Firefox keep doing this... Dec. 19th, 2011 @ 03:27 PM Reply

People still use Firefox?

Aqua8B
Aqua8B
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Why does Firefox keep doing this... Dec. 19th, 2011 @ 03:53 PM Reply

At 12/19/11 03:18 PM, polles wrote: I ran a scan with malwarebytes already and two "trojan droppers" were detected but it said they were removed, I restarted the computer and this is still happening.

Any advice?

Virusses are the nastiest things you can get on the computer,

Use more virus scanners,like:
1. Avast antivirus (my number 1 choice for you)
2. IOBit Advanced systemcare(will be good for many things than only scan for virusses)
3. IOBit Malwarefighter
these are all safe :)

Or just reinstall Firefox

Or use another browser

What operating system do you have?

At 12/19/11 03:27 PM, Wolfos wrote: People still use Firefox?

Yes, just like me :)

BBS Signature
straberrykiler6789
straberrykiler6789
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Why does Firefox keep doing this... Dec. 19th, 2011 @ 03:54 PM Reply

i regularly have to remove shit from peoples computers
in worst cases i use
Malwarebytes anti malwareand hitman pro
Sorry i cant be much use

Why does Firefox keep doing this...

phrozonfire
phrozonfire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Why does Firefox keep doing this... Dec. 19th, 2011 @ 06:14 PM Reply

This may help.

In the worst case scenario, you'll have to reformat.

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature