Be a Supporter!
DJ-Chilvan
DJ-Chilvan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Mixing Sub Kicks 2011-12-18 22:37:10 Reply

I've recently been using a lot of sub kicks in my beats and I have been mixing them fine but I know that there's some knowledge out there that I obviously don't know. So far, I've been using a multiband compressor to compress the specific frequencies needed for that nice "boom" and thump. However, I have a quick question. Is it better if I layer two of the same sub kick samples and compress them a bit, or if I just use one sample and compress it well with a multiband compressor? I've found out that both methods work but for optimum sound, which method is better? Also, if there's any other general tips on EQing sub kicks or sub-bass frequencies in general, please let me know because I love learning new things.

Check out my new track Tokyo Pop and my hit: Our Nova Pt. 2.
Member of Review Request Club.

jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Mixing Sub Kicks 2011-12-18 23:20:02 Reply

At 12/18/11 10:37 PM, DJ-Chilvan wrote: I've recently been using a lot of sub kicks in my beats and I have been mixing them fine but I know that there's some knowledge out there that I obviously don't know. So far, I've been using a multiband compressor to compress the specific frequencies needed for that nice "boom" and thump. However, I have a quick question. Is it better if I layer two of the same sub kick samples and compress them a bit, or if I just use one sample and compress it well with a multiband compressor? I've found out that both methods work but for optimum sound, which method is better? Also, if there's any other general tips on EQing sub kicks or sub-bass frequencies in general, please let me know because I love learning new things.

First off, a multiband compressor isn't REALLY necessary because you're probably only using the sub/lowest band. Use a regular one.

In general though, there isn't much of a need to compress a sub kick unless you don't like its tail. So unless you are using a compressor to solve dynamic issues (most likely the tail unless its a weird sample), theres not really a need for compression at all, you're just after more volume.

I'll use a compressor and only touch the gain, since most have the option to boost volume to unholy levels and there aren't any plugins that just boost volume ironically.

Layering two samples is just doubling the volume btw.

Some general advice, shorter sub kick tails=cleaner mixes.

DJ-Chilvan
DJ-Chilvan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Mixing Sub Kicks 2011-12-19 12:32:07 Reply

Thanks yall for the advice! It helped out more than you know!

Check out my new track Tokyo Pop and my hit: Our Nova Pt. 2.
Member of Review Request Club.