Be a Supporter!

The Piss Christ Controversy

  • 2,437 Views
  • 67 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Ryanson
Ryanson
  • Member since: Jul. 19, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Musician
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-12 21:24:06 Reply

I'd be more offended if the Beatles said they were bigger than Jesus


Life is a performance, and the world is full of critics. Give it your all like it's your last show.
You don't even want to know

BBS Signature
DarkMatter
DarkMatter
  • Member since: Sep. 12, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Animator
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-12 21:27:47 Reply

At 12/12/11 09:24 PM, Ryanson wrote: I'd be more offended if the Beatles said they were bigger than Jesus

The Beatles didn't care about Jesus, they were into Hare Krishna.


WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THAT DUDE WITH THE RED HAT BROWN TRENCH COAT AND SHOTGUN?!?! I miss the old ASSASSIN days. Click Me

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Member since: Sep. 19, 2009
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-12 21:34:17 Reply

At 12/12/11 06:44 PM, Rummy0 wrote:
At 12/12/11 06:40 PM, Bees wrote: better than that girl who pissed in spaghettios
Lmfao Interior Semiotics, I remember that.

I went and watched it again because I wanted to watch a woman touch herself on youtube.

Suprememessage
Suprememessage
  • Member since: Dec. 29, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-12 22:00:39 Reply

I think it's a matter of Freedom of Speech versus Prejudice, for instance, this man made $15.000 of this from a government organisation, probably fueling the Christian tax-payers' rage even MORE.

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-12 22:18:22 Reply

Try-hard trying to hard to be edgy and do things for shock value. Lame.


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
DarkMatter
DarkMatter
  • Member since: Sep. 12, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Animator
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-13 00:19:18 Reply

By most of your arguments The Piss Christ is no better than a rainbow background with cocks drawn on it and submitted the portal.

Since most of you won't respond to my mentioning of Sister Wendy's awesomeness, here she is.

Sister Wendy on Piss Christ


WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THAT DUDE WITH THE RED HAT BROWN TRENCH COAT AND SHOTGUN?!?! I miss the old ASSASSIN days. Click Me

BBS Signature
Anti-pie
Anti-pie
  • Member since: Mar. 14, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-13 00:26:11 Reply

Is there a meaning behind it? Is he trying to say something? Just pulling this out of my ass but maybe it represents how Christians are always pissing allover their own religion.


We're meat and that's it. So lets fuck it, fuck it, fuck it.
Minecraft: JuJitsuLipShitz

BBS Signature
yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Member since: May. 28, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 48
Artist
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-13 00:37:21 Reply

At 12/13/11 12:26 AM, Anti-pie wrote: maybe it represents how Christians are always pissing allover their own religion.

woah man careful

DarkMatter
DarkMatter
  • Member since: Sep. 12, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Animator
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-13 00:55:32 Reply

This lady loves Jesus more than all of you combined

The Piss Christ Controversy


WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THAT DUDE WITH THE RED HAT BROWN TRENCH COAT AND SHOTGUN?!?! I miss the old ASSASSIN days. Click Me

BBS Signature
Jay
Jay
  • Member since: Feb. 3, 2006
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-13 05:46:57 Reply

Looks kinda cool I guess, but people who do things simply for shock value are kind of sad in my opinion. If it's not clever, and it's shocking, then you aren't creative, you just know how to "piss" people off.

wow
Lumber-Jax12
Lumber-Jax12
  • Member since: Jan. 15, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-13 21:07:59 Reply

Seriously the Society we live in today and the secularists who push for it need to get off their high horse. There is so much hate towards religion it's disgusting really. You wouldn't go over a friends house and call his mom a slut to his face simply because you don't like her or prefer your mom (belief) over his.

There's little to no respect for it anymore and even among religious. This isn't "art", the World is broken into to parts, the practical and theoretical. I believe we will be a better society on the whole when we learn to stop separating the two.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should, this douchebag thinks he's an artist simply by being 'controversial' when in practice an art must require skill and some stylistic, and creative decisions. The theory is you can express what ever you want in art and that it is subjective. When you merge the two you see this is only theoretical.

Anyone can piss on a crucifix, and if this guy is also taking a picture of his jizz then, no, he's not an artist, just some twisted fuck.

In that case, Ass-Bangers 7 is art, yet you'll hear no one call it as such.

morcov
morcov
  • Member since: Nov. 14, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 21
Artist
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-13 21:31:27 Reply

At 12/13/11 12:26 AM, Anti-pie wrote: Is there a meaning behind it? Is he trying to say something? Just pulling this out of my ass but maybe it represents how Christians are always pissing allover their own religion.

Yeah, I think this guy just thinks he's really pretentious.

yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Member since: May. 28, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 48
Artist
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-13 21:38:54 Reply

At 12/13/11 09:07 PM, Lumber-Jax12 wrote: There's little to no respect for it anymore and even among religious.

Religion does not respect the minds of children, the lives and rights of women, or humanity as a whole. Why should humans respect religion when it won't show them the same courtesy?

This isn't "art"

Art is self-expression through a creative medium. This photograph fits that description. It is art.

the World is broken into to parts, the practical and theoretical.

The world has always been separated into parts, and to claim that there are just two "main" parts is far too reductive, especially considering that the whole "spiritual world" insists on placing itself above and beyond the limitations of theory and practice.

Lumber-Jax12
Lumber-Jax12
  • Member since: Jan. 15, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-13 21:53:47 Reply

At 12/13/11 09:38 PM, yurgenburgen wrote:
At 12/13/11 09:07 PM, Lumber-Jax12 wrote: There's little to no respect for it anymore and even among religious.
Religion does not respect the minds of children, the lives and rights of women, or humanity as a whole. Why should humans respect religion when it won't show them the same courtesy?

Religion is not forced onto others, that's problem and excuse many people put up today, you don't have to follow religion if you don't want to. Has it ever occurred to you, that you're idea of this "brain-washing" is forced onto us everyday in every field of life besides religion?

It's called expressing your opinion, and telling others your values or ideals isn't forced, especially since you have the option of choosing not to. You wouldn't call a commercial a "brain-wash", but it's acting in the same way you call religion, it forces it's ideals onto you, but again you don't have to follow it.

This isn't "art"
Art is self-expression through a creative medium. This photograph fits that description. It is art.

Art is the product or process of deliberately arranging items (often with symbolic significance) in a way that influences and affects one or more of the senses, emotions, and intellect

Next time actually look up the definition and understand it before you make-up one yourself.

the World is broken into to parts, the practical and theoretical.
The world has always been separated into parts, and to claim that there are just two "main" parts is far too reductive, especially considering that the whole "spiritual world" insists on placing itself above and beyond the limitations of theory and practice.

Spiritual is neither, an atheist telling me what spirituality seems like an oxymoron. Religion isn't some idea in the sky, for one to follow a faith/religion, they must add it in all regions of their daily life, therefore it becomes part of the theoretical, and practical. And thats not just the church's idea of it. That's the definition of a religion, in case you still want to use word-play.

Also, I'm sure had the picture been one of darwin bowing to God, or crossing himself, you yourself would have been up-in-arms. So don't try and pass this off as you being neutral, not one person reading this thread will buy that bullshit.

joeyjoah
joeyjoah
  • Member since: Nov. 20, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-13 21:54:44 Reply

I fucking love it.


q

yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Member since: May. 28, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 48
Artist
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-13 22:32:44 Reply

At 12/13/11 09:53 PM, Lumber-Jax12 wrote: Religion is not forced onto others,

The opposite is true.

that's problem and excuse many people put up today, you don't have to follow religion if you don't want to.

Adults don't. Children brought up in religious households have no say in the matter.

Has it ever occurred to you, that you're idea of this "brain-washing" is forced onto us everyday in every field of life besides religion?

... Are you saying that other forms of brainwashing exist as well as religious brainwashing? Because first you said that religious brainwashing is non-existent (which is an outright lie, but w/e). So which is it? It either exists or it doesn't. Make your mind up.

You wouldn't call a commercial a "brain-wash", but it's acting in the same way you call religion, it forces it's ideals onto you, but again you don't have to follow it.

You're comparing two completely different things. Commercials use deceptive tactics to get you to buy shit you don't need, while religion uses bare-faced lies and threats to get you to submit your life to serving it.

Art is the product or process of deliberately arranging items (often with symbolic significance) in a way that influences and affects one or more of the senses, emotions, and intellect
Next time actually look up the definition and understand it before you make-up one yourself.

The definition you just posted completely fits the photograph we are discussing.

Spiritual is neither, an atheist telling me what spirituality seems like an oxymoron.

Well it isn't, because spirituality is a concept that can be explained by anyone regardless of their position on it.

Religion isn't some idea in the sky, for one to follow a faith/religion, they must add it in all regions of their daily life, therefore it becomes part of the theoretical, and practical.

So religion is neither theoretical nor practical, but in order for one to follow religion they must make it a part of the theoretical and the practical, despite it being neither theoretical nor practical. Right.

Also, I'm sure had the picture been one of darwin bowing to God, or crossing himself, you yourself would have been up-in-arms.

>implying you aren't leaping to conclusions about me now

So don't try and pass this off as you being neutral,

>implying I'm trying to pass myself off as neutral when it's a well-documented fact on this BBS that I hate religion

not one person reading this thread will buy that bullshit.

>implying I care

Lumber-Jax12
Lumber-Jax12
  • Member since: Jan. 15, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-13 22:56:25 Reply

okay, if you're seriously going to disregard everything by saying "I don't care" or "I'm wrong" than this argument is over, no point in me wasting time on some one who is clearly and ignorantly attached to a view point.

Also, I've yet to see the symbolic meaning in this other than being a pretentious dick, so his cum-shot has meaning also?

And last, you claim religion is passed onto us through "brain-washing" (saying it has been 'forced' to us by our parents) is simply a lacking argument. I've been told not to smoke by hundreds of Parents/ higher/older figures in my life, and lied to by those retarded advert's and countless of other influences that perfectly fit you're idea about 'forcing belief'.

I do it almost every other weekend, I guess that was really forced onto me, huh? And while we're at it let's just assume EVERY religion preaches you MUST blindly follow the faith without questions.

Let me ask you when is the last time you so much as participated in a religious event. Because if all religion was is blindly following a set of rules, than there would be no use of a theology study for religious people would there?

Again stop with the "Religion has no thought" bandwagon, maybe once in a while you should actually consider using intellect with your arguments rather than following what has been said countless times before so blindly (hmmmm sounds familiar, doesn't it, guess that always questioning intellect has really separated you from us "religious-cattle/sheep who simply others)

yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Member since: May. 28, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 48
Artist
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-13 23:23:09 Reply

At 12/13/11 10:56 PM, Lumber-Jax12 wrote: okay, if you're seriously going to disregard everything by saying "I don't care" or "I'm wrong" than this argument is over, no point in me wasting time on some one who is clearly and ignorantly attached to a view point.

I said I don't care whether people think I'm neutral or not.
I didn't say I don't care about the fact that you're wrong about this whole thing.
I didn't say I don't care about this subject in particular.
Typical avoidance.

Also, I've yet to see the symbolic meaning in this other than being a pretentious dick

It's well-established in the art world that Piss Christ expresses the cheapening and commercialisation of christianity. Furthermore, anyone with an ounce of insight is free to draw their own meanings from it, as they are with most works of art.

so his cum-shot has meaning also?

When a human is at the point of orgasm, they are in their most naturally suggestible and relaxed state so a photograph of someone ejaculating, it could be argued, is one of the most revealing portraits ever taken. That's my interpretation of it.

Incidentally, I was reading a book not too long ago called Fast Feminism which extolls the importance of female ejaculation, complete with full-colour photographs.

And last, you claim religion is passed onto us through "brain-washing" derpy derp.

"You can believe this if you want to, but if you don't you'll go to hell and burn forever in agony."

I do it almost every other weekend, I guess that was really forced onto me, huh?

Not remotely, and I never said that. Again, you are comparing totally different entities and trying to pass them off as somehow equivalent. It's called a strawman fallacy, and is used mainly by idiots when they can't argue their point using basic facts and logic and reasoning.

And while we're at it let's just assume EVERY religion preaches you MUST blindly follow the faith without questions.

And once again, you're resorting to accusations in order to make your point. I never said that all religions are preached with the same aggression and intensity. LaVeyan Satanism is pretty much "just do whatever" about everything.

Let me ask you when is the last time you so much as participated in a religious event.

>implying any answer I give would be relevant to this discussion

Again stop with the "Religion has no thought" bandwagon

>implying I claimed or suggested that there is no thought behind religion

I would advise you in your future endeavours to address the points that people make instead of hiding behind logical fallacies and pissing accusations and conclusions out of your arse.

Swag-in-a-Bag
Swag-in-a-Bag
  • Member since: Nov. 11, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Writer
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-14 00:21:59 Reply

I remember reading about this from my psychology or sociology book back in like 2009. Yeah its pretty disgusting


Believe what thou Wilt

BBS Signature
escobargames
escobargames
  • Member since: Nov. 23, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Programmer
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-14 00:33:33 Reply

this is not art, its not even offensive, its just stupid


BBS Signature
StCyril
StCyril
  • Member since: Feb. 21, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-14 00:33:52 Reply

I love all the tasteless people calling this art. I seriously doubt they would be saying the same thing if I took a picture of a lynched black man or muhammad, submerged it in piss and called it art.

The black community, the NAACP, and/or the muslims would be all over me and the phrase "It's my art" would not protect me.

But because it's attacking Christians it's ok.

Hypocrisy in it's simplest form.

Best Thread Ever!
"I think StCyril deserves a Highfive for getting two threads made about him and half the BBS pissed off over nothing!" - Seeinthedark

BBS Signature
LardLord
LardLord
  • Member since: Jun. 3, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-14 00:37:22 Reply

At 12/14/11 12:33 AM, StCyril wrote: I love all the tasteless people calling this art. I seriously doubt they would be saying the same thing if I took a picture of a lynched black man or muhammad, submerged it in piss and called it art. The black community, the NAACP, and/or the muslims would be all over me and the phrase "It's my art" would not protect me.But because it's attacking Christians it's ok.

Hypocrisy in it's simplest form.

Invalid comparison. Lynchings of black people are events that really did occur in the 18th, 19th, and 20th centuries in the United States.

Magical crucifixion of some guy in the middle east 2000 years ago, on the other hand...

StCyril
StCyril
  • Member since: Feb. 21, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-14 00:38:33 Reply

At 12/14/11 12:37 AM, LardLord wrote: Invalid comparison. Lynchings of black people are events that really did occur in the 18th, 19th, and 20th centuries in the United States.

Magical crucifixion of some guy in the middle east 2000 years ago, on the other hand...

So... you're going to tell me that people were not crucified by the romans 2000 years ago, despite the evidence otherwise?

Or is it just ok because it wasn't more recent.

Notice you said nothing about muhammad.


Best Thread Ever!
"I think StCyril deserves a Highfive for getting two threads made about him and half the BBS pissed off over nothing!" - Seeinthedark

BBS Signature
LardLord
LardLord
  • Member since: Jun. 3, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-14 00:44:17 Reply

At 12/14/11 12:38 AM, StCyril wrote: So... you're going to tell me that people were not crucified by the romans 2000 years ago, despite the evidence otherwise?

What I said was one guy was not magically crucified. Sure, normal people were. That's not the issue, though.

Or is it just ok because it wasn't more recent.

To some extent yes. What non-retarded person cares about fictional magic man from 2000 years ago. Nobody, that's who. As compared to truly persecuted people within the last 100 years. People who have living direct ancestors, etc.

Notice you said nothing about muhammad.

Don't care about that lame religion.

StCyril
StCyril
  • Member since: Feb. 21, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-14 00:48:10 Reply

At 12/14/11 12:44 AM, LardLord wrote:
What I said was one guy was not magically crucified. Sure, normal people were. That's not the issue, though.

I think it goes along with the issue, very much so.

To some extent yes. What non-retarded person cares about fictional magic man from 2000 years ago. Nobody, that's who. As compared to truly persecuted people within the last 100 years. People who have living direct ancestors, etc.

Oh ok, so all Christians are retarded how classy of you. "You don't believe the same thing I do, so you must not be intelligent.

I seem to recall a man by the name of Adolf Hitler making the same arguments, look how he turned out.

Notice you said nothing about muhammad.
Don't care about that lame religion.

God doesn't believe in punk-ass athiests, therefore you don't exist.

Have a glorious day.


Best Thread Ever!
"I think StCyril deserves a Highfive for getting two threads made about him and half the BBS pissed off over nothing!" - Seeinthedark

BBS Signature
AxisTwentyOne
AxisTwentyOne
  • Member since: Nov. 21, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-14 00:49:10 Reply

this is just a hate thread with uncreative people will stupid ideas


BBS Signature
LardLord
LardLord
  • Member since: Jun. 3, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-14 00:56:01 Reply

At 12/14/11 12:48 AM, StCyril wrote: I think it goes along with the issue, very much so.

You would be wrong. Fictional magic man was not magically crucified, which makes "him" different from real people who were actually murdered because white assholes in the southern united states felt like it.

Oh ok, so all Christians are retarded how classy of you. "You don't believe the same thing I do, so you must not be intelligent.

Hey, no other way to explain the irrational belief in fictional magic man along w/ magical resurrection.

I seem to recall a man by the name of Adolf Hitler making the same arguments, look how he turned out.

That fella was as retarded as Christians and white southerners in his delusional belief system. In fact, if you look at his current base of support it trends toward white rednecks in the south.

God doesn't believe in punk-ass athiests, therefore you don't exist.

I do exist, though, because I'm responding to you. When was the last time fictional magic man talked to you on the BBS?

StCyril
StCyril
  • Member since: Feb. 21, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-14 01:01:55 Reply

At 12/14/11 12:56 AM, LardLord wrote: You would be wrong. Fictional magic man was not magically crucified, which makes "him" different from real people who were actually murdered because white assholes in the southern united states felt like it.

He wasn't magically crucified. He was taken, nailed to a cross with metal nails and then hung in place. Also, the roman empire captured many of the witnesses to Jesus' crucifixion and resurection and were given a choice; Deny it ever happened, or be executed. Who in their right mind would sacrifice themselves for something they knew to be false?

Hey, no other way to explain the irrational belief in fictional magic man along w/ magical resurrection.

That's it, I'm done here. This guy is a textbook biggot. I'll have you know I'm a christian. Not only am I a christian, I'm supposedly the worst kind of Christian: A Catholic. I'll tell you something else too, people who believe in God are not retarded. People who kill or do other forms of harm to another in his name... yeah I'll give you that. But to blanket everyone who believes in something as retarded is in and of itself retarded.

That fella was as retarded as Christians and white southerners in his delusional belief system. In fact, if you look at his current base of support it trends toward white rednecks in the south.

And you are acting just like him.

I do exist, though, because I'm responding to you. When was the last time fictional magic man talked to you on the BBS?

As I can't see much (if any) proof that manhood exists on you at all, I'm gonna say right now.

Good night to you,


Best Thread Ever!
"I think StCyril deserves a Highfive for getting two threads made about him and half the BBS pissed off over nothing!" - Seeinthedark

BBS Signature
yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Member since: May. 28, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 48
Artist
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-14 01:05:37 Reply

At 12/14/11 01:01 AM, StCyril wrote: welp i'm being persecuted for mah belief in jeebus wahhhh

Stop playing the victim card. If your beliefs are so delicate and fragile that you can't handle basic straightforward criticism maybe you should re-evaluate your religion and see it for the lies and nonsense it really is.

StCyril
StCyril
  • Member since: Feb. 21, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-14 01:07:05 Reply

At 12/14/11 01:05 AM, yurgenburgen wrote:
At 12/14/11 01:01 AM, StCyril wrote: welp i'm being persecuted for mah belief in jeebus wahhhh
Stop playing the victim card. If your beliefs are so delicate and fragile that you can't handle basic straightforward criticism maybe you should re-evaluate your religion and see it for the lies and nonsense it really is.

Blacks are n1gers (Can't even post the word!) UNACCEPTABLE

Christians are retards ACCEPTABLE

Hypocrisy all around

Best Thread Ever!
"I think StCyril deserves a Highfive for getting two threads made about him and half the BBS pissed off over nothing!" - Seeinthedark

BBS Signature