New Topic Respond to this Topic
DarkMatter
DarkMatter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Animator
The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-12 15:46:04 Reply

There are many forms of art, in fact so many that it almost makes art as a concept obsolete. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and in most cases art is as well. This thread is meant to discuss the controversy behind a certain photograph called Piss Christ. The photo is basically a plastic crucifix submerged in a bottle of urine. Now, the controversy begins when the photo was exhibited in 1989, many religious folks were outraged, in fact many said religious folk violated the laws of their religion, sending death threats to the artist, and even innocents such as curators and museum officials. Mayor Guliani attempted to financially attacked the Metropolitan I believe, by denying them government funds and so forth. He was however stonewalled by a little something called the law, because those funds come from taxpayer dollars, and taxpayers don't get to pick and choose where their money goes.

There's alot more about the Piss Christ you can look up yourself, but that's about the jist of it. The photographer, Andres Serrano, is known for his controversial work, for instance one of his self protraits is a stream of semen captured in midair.

So what do you think of Piss Christ? Do you think it's art? Do you think Serrano is an artist?

I'll let you all react on your own before I share my opinion, but I'm sure some of you can guess which way I'm leaning (making a topic and all)

Without further delay, The Piss Christ.

The Piss Christ Controversy

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THAT DUDE WITH THE RED HAT BROWN TRENCH COAT AND SHOTGUN?!?! I miss the old ASSASSIN days. Click Me

BBS Signature
benmitchell0036
benmitchell0036
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Gamer
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-12 15:49:47 Reply

I think art is subjective, which I know is a bullshit answer, but it's true. I believe in god, but this picture doesn't offend me. It's not a personal attack on me, and I think anyone can do anything they want, as long as they aren't hurting others. I fail to see how this is hurting others.

However, it is hard to discern whether or not this guy is a true artist or is simply doing controversial things to increase his reputation.

Darthleather
Darthleather
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-12 15:59:14 Reply

I don't have much sympathy for this person. He knew he was gonna piss people off if he did this.

I LIKE MONEY

BBS Signature
Heinrich
Heinrich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Movie Buff
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-12 16:00:52 Reply

Seems more like desecration of a holy image. I can see why Christians would be offended because personally, this would be like smearing feces on a dead soldier's gravestone and calling it art.

This just looks like the "artist" is trying hard to be controversial with the gall of calling it art so he wouldn't be censored out. I see it as a form of abuse of freedom of speech.

That's my 2 cents. I hope this doesn't degenerate into another typical religion argument on this forum.

BBS Signature
Sepultura123
Sepultura123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Melancholy
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-12 16:02:40 Reply

Im pissing on Christ Statuette every month and im not an artist !

This is so dumb this guy isnt an artist , everybody can do that , guy making money with nothing these days.

And I dont find it outrageous wait till I piss on Christ in front of these ladyz

-

BBS Signature
Bolo
Bolo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Blank Slate
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-12 16:03:09 Reply

In the historical record of mankind, few, I must admit, tend to carry in their deified hands the most beautiful and simple truth of all, which is inherent to a chosen few, and foreign to most. In keeping with the tradition of exclusivity, Piss has repeatedly displayed this fickle and rarefied trait in his travails through a once-loved land which we refer to colloquially as "the BBS". In good times, Piss was at the forefront of a revolution that seemed poised to invade the consciousness of all forumgoers with a spirit of unbridled merriment.

Yet just when all was alive and ready for the transition (which at the time seemed inevitable) to a higher state of being, all did collapse. It is in this darkness that we now reside, and in which we have resided for the past year and a half or so, mostly without a candle to light our way or brighten our faces with flicker of truth or pleasure. But in the wisdom of this wonderful user at whose feet we so humbly prostrate ourselves, one Piss, of barren-most Canada, this flicker is most humbly provided, and our way seems now guided by a single shepherd, in who we place all our trust.

Andres Serrano salutes.

The Piss Christ Controversy

BBS Signature
Darthleather
Darthleather
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-12 16:04:00 Reply

It's like what Bill Maher does. He goes on tv and plays the role of political commentator, and when he says something that really offends people he says "I'm a comedian!".

Trying to have it both ways.

I LIKE MONEY

BBS Signature
lawlmaster
lawlmaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Gamer
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-12 16:04:37 Reply

I think it's a bit odd that he would do something like this. Maybe he wanted to piss of Christians, or maybe he really does think it's a form of art, it's hard to tell what the creator was thinking by making this. Though this is another fantastic example of how the human mind works.

A spear in your chest and a fire in your ass. I only play as Scorpion in MK games, because I'm that much of a fanboy.

BBS Signature
Krbyfan1
Krbyfan1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-12 16:05:18 Reply

First of all I find it hilarious because it's so absurd.

And second of all...

At 12/12/11 03:46 PM, DarkMatter wrote: The photographer, Andres Serrano, is known for his controversial work, for instance one of his self protraits is a stream of semen captured in midair.
Do you think Serrano is an artist?

I think he's teetering on being more of a water sport enthusiast than anything.

Krbyfan1(kur-bee-fan-one)- A creature that resides in the state of Colorado. Distinguished by his size, love of small mammals, video games, and the anime series "Tenchi Muyo!"

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-12 16:10:57 Reply

Another meaningless attack on people's faith in return for attention, and the Christians, instead of say issuing a statement and dealing with the desecration of a holy icon maturely, are pissing themselves trying to hide it all away.

Fucking idiots couldn't present a unified front if they tried.

I think this is "art" in the barest sense of the word - expression of human creativity. Not particularly much creativity, the sort a child does when scrawling in the mud, and I wouldn't put that in a museum.

MultiCanimefan
MultiCanimefan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-12 16:11:04 Reply

Yes, he's an artist.

MultiCanimefan
MultiCanimefan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-12 16:12:34 Reply

At 12/12/11 04:10 PM, Lintire wrote:
the sort a child does when scrawling in the mud, and I wouldn't put that in a museum.

It's funny because there's some paintings a child did that are in a museum that look like they belong on the refrigerator.

DarkMatter
DarkMatter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Animator
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-12 16:22:51 Reply

At 12/12/11 04:04 PM, lawlmaster wrote: it's hard to tell what the creator was thinking by making this.

interesting point, I think little credit is given to this part of the creative process regarding Piss Christ, however I do believe he had something in mind, perhaps he just wanted to troll, or perhaps he wanted to reveal the barbarity of the christian community. What do I mean by that? Well lets face it, there's no way to prove if the amber stuff is indeed piss, yet the artist declares it in the title which in turn sets off a fire storm. Some of you may be right, he may have intended to piss off christians, but if anything I like to think he did it so they could look at themselves and how they were acting, non-christian.

It's also important to note, that Sister Wendy Becket, an art critic and catholic nun, stated in a filmed interview that she felt the piece symbolized what the world was doing to Christ, and was not blasphemous.

Now ask yourselves, what if the liquid was apple juice, is it still the same piece if it looks identical? Also ask yourself, what of the pictures composition? It's not like he opened a jar of piss, put it on a table and took a picture because of obvious controlled light.

Piss Christ does more than just disgust people, it also makes inquisitive individuals think about social issues, such as religious turmoil, censorship, corruption, and hypocrisy. That to me is good art, and while I'm not a big fan of pictures of dead bodies and semen in mid-air, Serranos is indeed an artist, and Piss Christ is indeed art.

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THAT DUDE WITH THE RED HAT BROWN TRENCH COAT AND SHOTGUN?!?! I miss the old ASSASSIN days. Click Me

BBS Signature
DarkMatter
DarkMatter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Animator
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-12 16:36:29 Reply

I just think it's funny how people couldn't stop at condemning the piece, going as far as to vandalize prints of it (alot of good that'll do), and threatening peoples lives.

BBS Signature
yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Artist
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-12 16:58:00 Reply

I've always loved the Piss Christ photo, apparently he did similair works using menstrual blood.

TBH I don't see what's so offensive about it, and I can't understand the mentality of those who tried to smash the image with a hammer.

Light
Light
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Reader
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-12 17:18:37 Reply

I'm an atheist, and I find this to be quite flagrant. I see no artistic value in this work of "art"; to me, it's nothing more than a poorly concealed attempt at blasphemy.

I was formerly known as "Jedi-Master."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

BBS Signature
LardLord
LardLord
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-12 17:23:41 Reply

At 12/12/11 05:22 PM, FreeksnGeeks wrote: Things people do like this really piss me off. If you don't like jesus, you dont have to disrespect him.

What's to disrespect if he never existed in the first place?

NeutralObjections
NeutralObjections
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Voice Actor
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-12 17:25:09 Reply

Sure, he is an artist.

But he is also a troll with his art. I don't see how I can stimulate anything worthwhile of a thought with a crucifix submerged in piss, or a self portrait of human semen. He uses his art to get a reaction.

Much like our very own Catoblepas. Wherever he is.

Entertaining? Maybe. It's art, but reaction stimulating for a reason.

benmitchell0036
benmitchell0036
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Gamer
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-12 17:25:20 Reply

Oh word, I bet this is going to erupt into a religion thing right here and now.

kidd25
kidd25
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-12 17:26:27 Reply

At 12/12/11 05:18 PM, Light wrote: I'm an atheist, and I find this to be quite flagrant. I see no artistic value in this work of "art"; to me, it's nothing more than a poorly concealed attempt at blasphemy.

relative world everything can be whatever you want it to be. Sadly that is what people believe, but that is beside the point. Christians get mad at it, because we believe that the image reminds us of what christ did on the cross. Pissing on this would be equal to someone pissing on the man who saved your life, and promises you a perfect life.

BBS Signature
yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Artist
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-12 17:49:35 Reply

At 12/12/11 05:18 PM, Light wrote: I'm an atheist, and I find this to be quite flagrant. I see no artistic value in this work of "art"; to me, it's nothing more than a poorly concealed attempt at blasphemy.

Blasphemy is a victimless crime.

Light
Light
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Reader
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-12 17:52:13 Reply

At 12/12/11 05:49 PM, yurgenburgen wrote:
Blasphemy is a victimless crime.

It's not a crime, but it is certainly offensive to the adherents of a given religion--even if their god may not exist, they don't know it, and neither do I.

I was formerly known as "Jedi-Master."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

BBS Signature
Sepultura123
Sepultura123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Melancholy
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-12 17:52:45 Reply

At 12/12/11 05:23 PM, LardLord wrote:
At 12/12/11 05:22 PM, FreeksnGeeks wrote:

Are you so sure of that ?

-

BBS Signature
LardLord
LardLord
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-12 18:04:45 Reply

At 12/12/11 05:52 PM, Sepultura123 wrote:
At 12/12/11 05:23 PM, LardLord wrote:
At 12/12/11 05:22 PM, FreeksnGeeks wrote:
Are you so sure of that ?

99.9repeating% sure. As most rational scientists are. At that level of unlikelihood, and with no evidence to support the conclusion whatsoever, it is typically discounted.

Stereocrisis
Stereocrisis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-12 18:17:13 Reply

At 12/12/11 05:22 PM, FreeksnGeeks wrote: Things people do like this really piss me off. If you don't like jesus, you dont have to disrespect him.

Here's the problem with that. I find it disrespectful to have him dead on the cross in the first place. What kind of fucked up tradition is that? That's like if someone worshipped Kurt Cobain, or Chris Farley, or Phil Hartman, and opened up buildings worldwide with statues of them dead all over the place. Blood everrywhere, shot, or foamy heart attack gases and blood coming from their noses and mouth. (Like Farley.)

Chdonga
Chdonga
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Game Developer
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-12 18:22:57 Reply

I think it's kind of funny. I could see why people find it offensive though. Urine is gross.

BBS Signature
LocoJoe
LocoJoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-12 19:24:55 Reply

Everything counts as art now. It's damn stupid. Hell at school today I saw a pile of thumb tacks on display in our gallery.

Sig by BabiesAteMyDingo

BBS Signature
yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Artist
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-12 19:27:27 Reply

At 12/12/11 06:44 PM, Rummy0 wrote:
At 12/12/11 06:40 PM, Bees wrote: better than that girl who pissed in spaghettios
Lmfao Interior Semiotics, I remember that.

Coum did it better.

DarkMatter
DarkMatter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Animator
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-12 21:18:38 Reply

At 12/12/11 04:58 PM, yurgenburgen wrote: I've always loved the Piss Christ photo, apparently he did similair works using menstrual blood.

TBH I don't see what's so offensive about it, and I can't understand the mentality of those who tried to smash the image with a hammer.

Well those individuals were teenagers, so that could partially explain it lol.

As for everyone who doesn't like the photo because they think its insulting, did you even read what I said about Sister Wendy Becket?

BBS Signature
SpaceWhale
SpaceWhale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to The Piss Christ Controversy 2011-12-12 21:20:39 Reply

At 12/12/11 07:27 PM, yurgenburgen wrote: Coum did it better.

Why.

Can you feel it mister Krabs?

BBS Signature