Be a Supporter!
VGmasters
VGmasters
  • Member since: Dec. 20, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
About metalheads Dec. 10th, 2011 @ 05:22 PM Reply

First of all, I'm not going to generalize the entire metalhead scene, cause I know that not all metalheads are so passionate that they think metal is the only good music that's made. However, there are some metalheads that just go out of there way trashing ever genre that doesn't involve their scene, like Pop, other forms of Rock, Hip Hop, R&B, Country, etc.

What really bothers me is that these certain people tend to think that metal is always better than all other other genres that are popular. I mean, not all Pop, Hip Hop, and Country is bad; Lots of good talent can come from any genre. In Pop, there's Michael Jackson. In Rap, there's Tupac. In Country, there's Johnny Cash. I myself enjoy Metal, but I still listen to other genres as well. I also enjoy the Electronic Dance scene, with all the stuff like House, Techno, Trance, Dubstep, Breakbeat, Jungle/DnB, Hardcore, etc. I also like other kinds of rock like Psychedelic, Hard Rock, Punk, Alternative, etc.

Even though I'm not that into other genres like Country, Blues, Folk, etc, I'm not going to say they suck, because I know that there have been many musicians of those genres that have stood the test of time. Again, I'm not saying all metalheads are crazy, but there are some who would just ridicule the rest of music because it's not loud and heavy. Anybody else feel the same way about this?

yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Member since: May. 28, 2001
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 47
Artist
Response to About metalheads Dec. 10th, 2011 @ 05:23 PM Reply

There are fanbases for every type of music that behave the same way, metal is no exception.

SkeletonGimp
SkeletonGimp
  • Member since: Aug. 10, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to About metalheads Dec. 10th, 2011 @ 05:24 PM Reply

I'm a metal head, and I listen to all sorts of music, including happy hardcore, dubstep, hip-hop, rap, some pop and good old rock and roll.

Go figure.


Roleplaying is to the mind what masturbation is to the body - Shalashaska-1, 2008
Feel free to MSN me: warsmithdave@msn.com
Beware the NGSkeletonGimp! M:tG Klub.

BBS Signature
Onepiece285
Onepiece285
  • Member since: Oct. 7, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Melancholy
Response to About metalheads Dec. 10th, 2011 @ 05:28 PM Reply

Something that's just as popular as my brand of music? It's:

A. Terrible!
B. Stupid!
C. Crap!
D. Not what I like! (and therefore terrible, stupid, and crappy.)


\\\Da Blackhawks\\\--///Dancing preteen butts///--\\\2014 NHL Playoffs Discussion\\\--///Dancing Psyduck Dauntly Reaching///

BBS Signature
Freaki-boy92
Freaki-boy92
  • Member since: Sep. 2, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Gamer
Response to About metalheads Dec. 10th, 2011 @ 05:33 PM Reply

it's a vocal minority, silent majority thing.

Murray
Murray
  • Member since: Sep. 12, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 57
Audiophile
Response to About metalheads Dec. 10th, 2011 @ 05:49 PM Reply

I will admit that I am a metal enthusiast but I don't say it's better than all the other music genres. To me, it's a musical preference as opposed to being superior to everything else. I may listen to so little of everything else (unless it's rock) but that doesn't mean I think other music genres are actually bad. Most of them really aren't my cup of tea but if there's something that stands out well and is genre defining, I might give it a shot. I'd love to have a bunch of stuff that's outside of my tastes but it can be difficult if I'm trying to do a bit of reviewing that covers mostly metal. :P


[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

Ganon-Dorf
Ganon-Dorf
  • Member since: Apr. 5, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 44
Melancholy
Response to About metalheads Dec. 10th, 2011 @ 06:42 PM Reply

Metal owe's its dues to Zeppelin and Sabbath with a touch of Deep Purple. Take those bands out of the picture and fuck only knows what we would have today.


BBS Signature
Scarface
Scarface
  • Member since: Oct. 24, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to About metalheads Dec. 10th, 2011 @ 06:46 PM Reply

I just hate the metal heads who pretend to be all Satanist and all that bullshit.


Rules of the BBS - Meme - Jeff
Thanks to Donut for the SIG!

BBS Signature
Shady
Shady
  • Member since: Aug. 11, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to About metalheads Dec. 10th, 2011 @ 06:47 PM Reply

Metal is a genre of extremes, ergo people who like exclusively aren't just of the opinion that lady gaga is distasteful. -_-

Dosensuppen
Dosensuppen
  • Member since: Dec. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Animator
Response to About metalheads Dec. 10th, 2011 @ 06:49 PM Reply

You'll find that it's little preteen shitheads mainly who do that -- including other music genres. A lot of these young shitheads rant and rave about other music genres existing. A lot will think it causes a lot of national level problems. For instance, a metalhead preteen will think that rap is the main source of crime: street gangs, for instance. It's irrational hate that drives from undergoing puberty. I was by no means an exception to that rule.

Still, there are just people who are naturally assholes.


"Soup actually isn't a spam crew ... Except for Narcissy, that guy sucks." - ih8dude

BBS Signature
mothballs
mothballs
  • Member since: Nov. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Game Developer
Response to About metalheads Dec. 10th, 2011 @ 06:52 PM Reply

Why should we give respect to other people's music if they give no respect to ours?

sweet21
sweet21
  • Member since: Jun. 7, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Artist
Response to About metalheads Dec. 10th, 2011 @ 06:54 PM Reply

Im an everything man. I don't hold myself down to one genre, I enjoy anything that sounds good.


I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
Ryanson
Ryanson
  • Member since: Jul. 19, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Musician
Response to About metalheads Dec. 10th, 2011 @ 06:56 PM Reply

I don't quite understand. Music has... genres?


Life is a performance, and the world is full of critics. Give it your all like it's your last show.
You don't even want to know

BBS Signature
Lemonardo
Lemonardo
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Musician
Response to About metalheads Dec. 10th, 2011 @ 07:00 PM Reply

I hate how people in a particular genre fanbase pick on another genre's fanbase because it's a different genre.

If they like that music, then they like that music. No problem with that.

And that's coming from a guy who likes both dance and metal.


BBS Signature
VGmasters
VGmasters
  • Member since: Dec. 20, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to About metalheads Dec. 10th, 2011 @ 07:21 PM Reply

What's worse, there are actually other metalheads that bash other metal subgenres like Nu Metal and Metalcore. Just because those genres are more popular these days doesn't make them bad; Same goes for Alternative Metal

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to About metalheads Dec. 10th, 2011 @ 07:41 PM Reply

At 12/10/11 05:22 PM, VGmasters wrote: First of all, I'm not going to generalize the entire metalhead scene, cause I know that not all metalheads are so passionate that they think metal is the only good music that's made. However, there are some metalheads that just go out of there way trashing ever genre that doesn't involve their scene, like Pop, other forms of Rock, Hip Hop, R&B, Country, etc.

What really bothers me is that these certain people tend to think that metal is always better than all other other genres that are popular. I mean, not all Pop, Hip Hop, and Country is bad; Lots of good talent can come from any genre. In Pop, there's Michael Jackson. In Rap, there's Tupac. In Country, there's Johnny Cash. I myself enjoy Metal, but I still listen to other genres as well. I also enjoy the Electronic Dance scene, with all the stuff like House, Techno, Trance, Dubstep, Breakbeat, Jungle/DnB, Hardcore, etc. I also like other kinds of rock like Psychedelic, Hard Rock, Punk, Alternative, etc.

These people? Who are these people? Metalheads? I'm a Metalhead, I know some other Metalheads and I chat and discuss with other Metalheads. And you are just far from the reality. You are trying to make a statement about how Metalheads are so damn elitist and critical toward all the other genres.
But what you seem to fail to understand, is that we only hate on genres we think to be fucking bad. To people who listen only to shit pop radio music, it may look like we hate on every genre of music. But that is just because these people listen only to crap music.

I have a few friends who listen only to Deathcore, Dubstep, House and RnB. Well you know what? To them, I probably look like an asshole, because I hate all that they like. But I don't hate everything, I just happen to hate simplistic, mediocre, uncreative, boring, poppish formulaic and unintelligent music. Sadly, some people only listen to that kind of crap. So what happens next? Well they make a statement like "Metalheads hate all the music that isn't Metal."

Fact is, that I like Post-Rock, Jazz, Fusion, Progressive Rock, Drone, Ambient, Neofolk, Sludge, Hip-Hop and Rap (not the shit on MTW or commercial radio), some Pop (because believe me, some artists like Michael Jackson, Jason Mraz and much more, are good musicians), Punk, Crust-Punk, Blues, some Electro, some Trance, very little house music (stuff that doesn't deepthroat donkeys. Edward Maya is pretty good), some Classical Music, Shoegaze... and much more.

And I'm not an anomaly. This is what real metalheads are like most of the time.

Even though I'm not that into other genres like Country, Blues, Folk, etc, I'm not going to say they suck, because I know that there have been many musicians of those genres that have stood the test of time. Again, I'm not saying all metalheads are crazy, but there are some who would just ridicule the rest of music because it's not loud and heavy. Anybody else feel the same way about this?

No, don't give me that, please. If you didn't think most metalheads or a majority at least were like that, you wouldn't have made a statement like this. This is a trait you must really believe to be a common trait among Metalheads. So, say what you say... or don't say it.

I have to give you one thing, a lot of Metalheads, even if they like other genres, do consider that their music is better in general, compared to other genres. I could just say: "Well, it's true!" but I don't want to troll you that hard. So you can criticize them on that point for sure. But we don't usually cluster ourselves in a little metal box and reject other genres, that is false.

SuperSilver123
SuperSilver123
  • Member since: Jun. 12, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to About metalheads Dec. 10th, 2011 @ 07:46 PM Reply

I personally don't believe that any music genre is objectively bad (except rap/hip-hob/dubstep, fuck that shit).

I don't listen much to metal, but when I do, I listen to Maximum The Hormone. Otherwise I have a little bit of every other genre. I don't think people should hate and generalize music genres (except rap/hip-hop/dubstep) and should learn how to get along with more than just 1 style of music.

HaniiPuppy
HaniiPuppy
  • Member since: Feb. 18, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to About metalheads Dec. 10th, 2011 @ 07:55 PM Reply

Have you ever actually met a metalhead before? I'm hard-pressed to find any other metalheads who abstain from all other kinds of music. I remember going to a classical orchestral performance a short while ago where a good chunk of the audience were quite obviously metal-heads.

There's a rock-pub near me called the doghouse which is mostly full of rockers and metalheads, from which you can occasionally hear everything from old blues to jazz to hard-rock and metal to experimental things. (Off topic: I remember being in there once watching a band with the female lead singer who controlled an amped bass beat with a pad on the floor which she tapped with her foot, and thinking "My god, she has the heaviest foot in the world")

What's more, the whole genres of Symphonic Metal (esp. see Nightwish), Industrial Metal, Folk Metal, and others stand as blatant monuments to the appreciation of music outside of metal by thunderheads.

Thunderheads sounds awesome xD I'm going to use it more often in general conversation.
MrFlopz
MrFlopz
  • Member since: Mar. 29, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Musician
Response to About metalheads Dec. 10th, 2011 @ 07:57 PM Reply

I know exactly what you mean. I listen to Metal more than anything else but I'm tired of these guys bashing everything other than metal. They even claim that metal bands they don't like are not metal, that way all good music to them is metal and all bad music is non metal. It's fucking stupid. I don't listen to stuff like rap but I can respect talent where I see it. Some rappers are sellouts. Some rappers are passionate musicians who pour their heart and soul into their music. I wish they could see that instead of spewing bias.


The average person has only one testicle.

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to About metalheads Dec. 10th, 2011 @ 08:19 PM Reply

At 12/10/11 07:57 PM, MrFlopz wrote: I know exactly what you mean. I listen to Metal more than anything else but I'm tired of these guys bashing everything other than metal. They even claim that metal bands they don't like are not metal, that way all good music to them is metal and all bad music is non metal. It's fucking stupid. I don't listen to stuff like rap but I can respect talent where I see it. Some rappers are sellouts. Some rappers are passionate musicians who pour their heart and soul into their music. I wish they could see that instead of spewing bias.

Are you refering to Metalheads who shit on Metalcore, Deathcore, Nu-Metal, Post-Hardcore and say they aren't Metal genres? Because that's not stupid, it's common sense.

Slipknot, The Devil Wears Prada, Bring Me The Horizon, Black Veil Brides and the likes... are not Metal bands. Try to consider the arguments before judging that we bash at random with a blindfold on our eyes.

Plus, Metalheads criticize bands like Metallica, Slayer, Pantera and the other very famous bands, all the time ! Have you ever heard a Metalhead claim that any of these three bands isn't Metal?

When we claim that some "supposedly metal band" isn't metal, it's not because we want to consider just our own favorite bands as metal. I dislike a lot of metal bands, no matter how much I like the genre in general.

Anti-pie
Anti-pie
  • Member since: Mar. 14, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to About metalheads Dec. 10th, 2011 @ 09:32 PM Reply

At 12/10/11 07:21 PM, VGmasters wrote: What's worse, there are actually other metalheads that bash other metal subgenres like Nu Metal and Metalcore. Just because those genres are more popular these days doesn't make them bad; Same goes for Alternative Metal

Just because it has the word metal doesn't make it metal. This isn't me saying this. This is a fact.


We're meat and that's it. So lets fuck it, fuck it, fuck it.
Minecraft: JuJitsuLipShitz

BBS Signature
VGmasters
VGmasters
  • Member since: Dec. 20, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to About metalheads Dec. 11th, 2011 @ 12:10 AM Reply

At 12/10/11 09:32 PM, Anti-pie wrote:
At 12/10/11 07:21 PM, VGmasters wrote: What's worse, there are actually other metalheads that bash other metal subgenres like Nu Metal and Metalcore. Just because those genres are more popular these days doesn't make them bad; Same goes for Alternative Metal
Just because it has the word metal doesn't make it metal. This isn't me saying this. This is a fact.

There's always gonna be different sub-genres. Not every one is going to be similar. As much I like bands like Iron Maiden and Cannibal Corpse, I also like Linkin Park and Slipknot.

TruBluFoxx
TruBluFoxx
  • Member since: Sep. 2, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to About metalheads Dec. 11th, 2011 @ 01:02 AM Reply

At 12/10/11 06:46 PM, Scarface wrote: I just hate the metal heads who pretend to be all Satanist and all that bullshit.

The angsty teens trying to get attention? Yeah I dislike them to. However, not all satanist metalheads are pretending. Look at black metal, and the church burnings in Norway. Those guys actually are satanic.

Anyways, like most of the people have said, every genera has its dumbass "fanboys", and actual fans. I like most music. If it sounds good, then it is good.
Also, I like to think metal is devided in two. Good metal, and Hot Topic metal.


BBS Signature
HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Member since: Dec. 2, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Melancholy
Response to About metalheads Dec. 11th, 2011 @ 01:35 AM Reply

At 12/10/11 05:27 PM, Rummy0 wrote: You'll find that most of those assholes are probably 12 year old Mallcore kiddies that listen to mallcore garbage like Suicide Silence and Slipknot, They probably get all upset over us real metalheads telling them their shit sucks and they're fucking posers so they go cry on your videos.
I don't do it with other genres though that's retarded, I can understand if people don't like metal and I do listen to other genres.
But not poser mallcore shit because it tries too hard to be metal and it fucking sucks.

Tramps sucks cocks.

There's your answer.

I'm a total metalhead, and that's what I mostly listen to. As another person here said, it's all about preference. I generally don't listen to other genres except most rock subgenres and a little electronic/dubstep. I completely hate country, but that's just me.
Also, as a musician, I can sorta tell which music is actually good or not. Overall, (almost) every genre out there can be good.


This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature