New Topic Respond to this Topic
Gario
Gario
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Rape: Blame the victim or prevent 2011-12-19 00:23:40 Reply

The whole concept of blaming the victim for rape is wrong. However, discussing possible methods of prevention is the only thing that anyone can do to try to protect the victims from potential attacks is not blaming the victim. I'm not against ads that try to make the opposite sex aware of behavior that could attract unwanted attention. It's the same as asking someone to lock their door at night - it's not the victim's fault if they get robbed (there is another with malicious intent involved who should take full responsibility), but it's prudent to lock their doors to help prevent such a thing from happening, if at all possible.

It's not 'blaming the victim', it's doing what you can to lower the occurrence of rape in any way possible. What other advice could be offered to help lower the chances of rape - tell the rapist that what they're doing is wrong and that they should stop? Well, no shit that's true, but a rapist isn't going to heed that advice, so that's pointless. If avoiding getting hammered at a party helps keep a woman from date rape (since targets of this act are generally incapacitated, it would prevent this type of rape), then why not inform them?

Need some music for a flash or game? Check it out. If none of this works send me a PM, I'm taking requests.

VenomKing666
VenomKing666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Rape: Blame the victim or prevent 2011-12-19 11:40:34 Reply

I would agree with Gario.

Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Rape: Blame the victim or prevent 2011-12-20 10:24:17 Reply

At 12/18/11 10:16 PM, Korriken wrote: I can think of one thing, and it involves sticking their penis into a jar of angry bees.

do that a few times and see how many people want to rape.

You people with your "creative" punishments always seem to neglect the possibility of wrongful conviction, not to mention a constitutional protection against cruel or unusual punishment.

If you find out later that the person's innocent, it's not as easy to just say "Whoops, sorry about the beenis bro."

Sabbalonn
Sabbalonn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Rape: Blame the victim or prevent 2011-12-22 11:18:00 Reply

I think what you said is very important and we should remember the potential harm that the " blame the victim" phrase can have, as it draws focus away from preventive measures and awarnes. If we blame the individual or individuals involved, we risk failing to recognise that everyone has their part to play. Some are bigger than others, but we (weather male of female) are all at some sort of risk weather it is us or a member of friend or family. Horrificaly, most victims who do not report rape are underaged girls who do not understand fully what has happend and often feel as if it is their fault, which can have devestatng effects to their later life.

Yes, it is important to dress apporiately and be wary of strangers and unliscend cabs and such, but most the msot devestating cases of rape happen through lack of awarness and take the victim completly by surprise. These people need unity and understanding to help them to cope but also to help many who never report it, which only places more people at risk.

Ranger2
Ranger2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Rape: Blame the victim or prevent 2011-12-22 14:17:26 Reply

I wouldn't go so far as to blame the victim, but there are times when people make themselves overly vulnerable to it, like getting drunk, talking with people you don't know, maybe making advances and dressing like a slut. No one deserves to be raped, but I can see how it would be like disabling your smoke detectors and then complaining when your house burns.

Gario
Gario
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Rape: Blame the victim or prevent 2011-12-28 16:05:13 Reply

So in the court of law that would be your defense for the rapist?

"The woman was incapacitated, so it was her own damn fault that my client sexually assaulted her"?

There was a time when these sort of accusations actually flew in court (think 60's and 70's), and that's precisely the side that people should be legitimately afraid of making a comeback. It is not a victim's fault that another man decided to unzip his zipper and stick his penis into any and/or all orifices that he could. It is entirely the rapist's fault that it happened, because drunk/drugged or not it is ultimately he who should have thought to himself 'Hey, this defiles another person's personal space, and it's wrong to do that'.

That being said, I've already stated my position that prevention should in fact be encouraged. It's not blind to believe that the rapist is completely at fault, yet at the same time understand that there is nothing we can do about the rapist and instead focus the message on women and prevention.

'Smoke detectors' is a bad example because fire is an accident that simply happens, given time and circumstance. There is intention and malice in a rapist, so no matter what a woman does there is a chance that she will be raped regardlesst. 'McDonalds' is a bad example because fatty foods directly cause obesity, and people eating it know and understand the risks (yet do so anyway). Alcohol and drugs are not the cause of rape, it is the malice and intent of a rapist that causes rape - they can lead to a situation where it's easier for the rapist to rape her, but that doesn't make them the cause of rape. These examples only serve to remove the rapist from the equation, which further the mindset that it MUST be the woman's fault that she was raped.

Our goals may be similar (prevent rape), and to be honest we're probably going to agree about the ad in question (it should remain in public), but your attitude on women is disgusting. You're not helping anybody by presenting your misogyny to everyone - if anything, all you're doing is discrediting everyone who shares the same goal as you and causing the problem to further spiral out of control (Yeah, remember the slutwalks? Your attitude is giving them legitimate reason to act as they did). Seriously, people like you would help your own cause much more if you never spoke of it again.

Need some music for a flash or game? Check it out. If none of this works send me a PM, I'm taking requests.

YomToxic
YomToxic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Game Developer
Response to Rape: Blame the victim or prevent 2011-12-31 17:42:23 Reply

Blaming the victim is what they do in terroriststan.

Prevention? Give potential victims a loaded pistol/machinegun.

camobch0
camobch0
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Gamer
Response to Rape: Blame the victim or prevent 2011-12-31 21:39:33 Reply

Fuck putting yourself in a certain situation where you're more likely to be raped. There IS such a thing as common human decency. Like, not raping people? It's not like rapists will suddenly disappear if women stop drinking or wearing sexy outfits.

At 12/31/11 05:42 PM, YomToxic wrote:
Give potential victims a loaded pistol/machinegun.

Yes, because giving a possibly drunk/high person a gun is a fantastic idea.

A vagina is really just a hat for a penis.

BBS Signature
MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Rape: Blame the victim or prevent 2012-01-01 09:31:36 Reply

At 12/19/11 11:40 AM, VenomKing666 wrote: I would agree with Gario.

yeah me too, I would post a long boring and confusing post but he pretty much summed up my thoughts.

my love of material goods is far greater than my love of food

BBS Signature