Be a Supporter!
Ketchemonia
Ketchemonia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Gamer
Visual Novel Games Dec. 7th, 2011 @ 06:41 PM Reply

Visual Novel Games... I really don't know where to start, so I'll ask you this.
What are your thoughts? Then after reading your input we'll have a grave decision on whether
to continue this line of games or discontinue it.

signature by moquaga

BBS Signature
EtchASketchClock
EtchASketchClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Visual Novel Games Dec. 7th, 2011 @ 06:51 PM Reply

At 12/7/11 06:41 PM, Ketchemonia wrote: I really don't know where to start

Why didn't you start by telling everyone what a "Visual Novel Game" is?

That was a great post. Right Zach?

BBS Signature
towelie101
towelie101
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Visual Novel Games Dec. 7th, 2011 @ 06:56 PM Reply

At 12/7/11 06:51 PM, EtchASketchClock wrote:

Layman's Terms: anime picture books, with roots in the interactive fiction of yesteryear.

I play a lot of them, and love them but that's basically what they are simplified.

Ketchemonia
Ketchemonia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Gamer
Response to Visual Novel Games Dec. 7th, 2011 @ 07:07 PM Reply

At 12/7/11 06:56 PM, towelie101 wrote:
At 12/7/11 06:51 PM, EtchASketchClock wrote:
Layman's Terms: anime picture books, with roots in the interactive fiction of yesteryear.

I play a lot of them, and love them but that's basically what they are simplified.

Thaanks, what he said. It seems like a waste of time, but the reward is greater than what you sow.
Like a catalog of some sort with CG galleries or scene replays, maybe even music. But ya some of them date back to the nineties and that ain't interesting but they have been going strong as far as my knowledge goes.

signature by moquaga

BBS Signature
towelie101
towelie101
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Visual Novel Games Dec. 7th, 2011 @ 07:23 PM Reply

At 12/7/11 07:07 PM, Ketchemonia wrote: But ya some of them date back to the nineties and that ain't interesting

Meh, there are worthwhile VNs from that time but it wasn't as big as it is now.

It's good to note that not all of them are devoid of gameplay and just clicking through text. Sengoku Rance being one of the best examples.

Remember: don't judge a book by its cover, NG.
Little-Rena
Little-Rena
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Melancholy
Response to Visual Novel Games Dec. 7th, 2011 @ 08:20 PM Reply

At 12/7/11 07:23 PM, towelie101 wrote: It's good to note that not all of them are devoid of gameplay and just clicking through text. Sengoku Rance being one of the best examples.

What does it add to it? I've never played a visual novel game, so it sounds like it's pretty much like a book to me, never looked into it either but I also prefer games that have a lot of movement in them, do visual novels have those too? :s

towelie101
towelie101
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Visual Novel Games Dec. 7th, 2011 @ 08:47 PM Reply

At 12/7/11 08:20 PM, Little-Rena wrote: What does it add to it? I've never played a visual novel game, so it sounds like it's pretty much like a book to me, never looked into it either but I also prefer games that have a lot of movement in them, do visual novels have those too? :s

It's hard for me to explain, but I'll try. If you're speaking about Rance, it's a SRPG/4X/Conquest kind of game with 2D sprites. It's incredibly fun, and if you're afraid of hentai/eroge scenes, it's easy to skip them (hold CTRL).

It's a mixed bad honestly, you'll have bishoujo/bishounen (basically the typical view of VNs) games with routes for separate characters, RPGs, Strategy, Fighting, Sci-Fi, etc. It's best to actually play one to get a feel of them.

My recommendations: Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime, Sharin no Kuni, Cross Channel, the other two games I've mentioned in the thread. Some of the more interesting ones out there + they're in English.

have an imagination, brah.

Visual Novel Games

towelie101
towelie101
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Visual Novel Games Dec. 7th, 2011 @ 09:23 PM Reply

At 12/7/11 08:47 PM, towelie101 wrote: They're in English.

***they have English fan translations/patches.

Have an image of the map/conquest screen in the game.

Visual Novel Games

argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Visual Novel Games Dec. 7th, 2011 @ 09:44 PM Reply

At 12/7/11 08:47 PM, towelie101 wrote:

\

have an imagination, brah.

So...Is imagination far from dead in video games? I know you'd need some imagination to get through it's simplistic look of minecraft. Most modern titles todays don't require as much.

Panzerknacker
Panzerknacker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Visual Novel Games Dec. 8th, 2011 @ 08:51 AM Reply

I do enjoy the occasional Visual Novel.

If you're looking for a good one to start with, I'd recommend Saya no Uta, a horror themed Visual Novel. It has some really creepy and frightening scenes, and some pretty touching ones as well. It is very linear as these games go; you only get two choices in the entire game, leading to one of three different endings.

Are there any other good horror themed VN's out there? Any recommendations?

PSN Id: Kenzuke
This is my signature. Boring, right?
Check out my blog

Nemo103
Nemo103
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Visual Novel Games Dec. 8th, 2011 @ 10:44 AM Reply

Talking about Visual novels.... i would recommend Ever17

FlaminSquirrel
FlaminSquirrel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Visual Novel Games Dec. 8th, 2011 @ 12:59 PM Reply

The only visual novels I've played are the Ace Attorney games, if those count. Other than that I never play visual novel games but I can understand their appeal. Especially after playing Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations. Very moving story.

BoredLooney
BoredLooney
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Visual Novel Games Jun. 12th, 2012 @ 04:38 PM Reply

There aren't much visual novels in Newgrounds THAT AREN'T DATING SIMS.

Does anyone know a good choose-your-own adventure game in this site that's rated T or E?

I could go for a good interactive story.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA- no.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Visual Novel Games Jun. 13th, 2012 @ 12:35 PM Reply

I've never played one, but I'm curious about Chaos Head, Tsukihime and Melty Blood.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
UncleABCD
UncleABCD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Audiophile
Response to Visual Novel Games Jun. 13th, 2012 @ 02:52 PM Reply

Here's a couple of sites for anyone who is interested in visual novels.

Renai.us the Ren'Ai archive is a site that holds a collection of free English-only visual novels. Most of them are made by novices using the renpy engine. Browse at your own leisure, there isn't anything outstanding on the site but it'll give you a taste for VNs if you've never touched them.

insani.org Insani hosts Japanese games that have been translated/partially translated into English. There are a few fully translated games on there, some are only demos.

http://vndb.org/ the visual novel database is probably your best bet if you're looking for any visual novel. The site is an archive for many, many visual novels. It's insanely useful for anyone looking for anything new or old. Even if the VN you're looking for is in Japanese only, it will usually give you a link to a working English patch. This is only an archive and as such you will not be able to download or buy any visual novels from here, though it will link you to the developer's site and the site that has the visual novel.

That isn't every site, but most of my VNs come from a mix of those, or JASTUSA, J-List, etc.

It's best to browse vndb.com and just see what catches your eye. Here's a list of the top ranking visual novels on the site, probably best to start from there and work your way down.

I haven't played a visual novel in a while now but the last one I finished was Kara no Shoujo and I loved it. A thriller/detective VN. It's surprisingly unforgiving too, you can fuck up very easily and be expected to replay a good 1-2hrs of reading if you haven't picked the right choices, or missed out on clues, etc. I only finished two endings before I got frustrated so then I had to use a walkthrough for the rest.

UNCLE///

BBS Signature
BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to Visual Novel Games Jun. 13th, 2012 @ 02:55 PM Reply

Visual novels are actually really really really good. A good one to recommend as a starter is Katawa shoujo.

At 6/13/12 12:35 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I've never played one, but I'm curious about Chaos Head, Tsukihime and Melty Blood.

I know Chaos;Head and Tsukihime are good. So is Steins;Gate.

Higurashi no naku koro ni and Umineko no naku koro ni are obviously the best though.

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Visual Novel Games Jun. 13th, 2012 @ 03:13 PM Reply

I've only "played" Katawa Shoujo and some other one I can't remember the name of about a guy who experienced a car accident and afterwards perceived the world as as all fleshy and messed up. The latter was pretty good but KS was completely amazing to me.

Anyone have any specific recommendations of what to read next? Preferably something fairly short, I can't see myself sticking with something as long as KS again.

last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal / follow me if you think you can handle it

BBS Signature
BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to Visual Novel Games Jun. 13th, 2012 @ 03:48 PM Reply

At 6/13/12 03:13 PM, Jackho wrote: I've only "played" Katawa Shoujo and some other one I can't remember the name of about a guy who experienced a car accident and afterwards perceived the world as as all fleshy and messed up. The latter was pretty good but KS was completely amazing to me.

I keep forgetting what that flesh one is called.

Anyone have any specific recommendations of what to read next? Preferably something fairly short, I can't see myself sticking with something as long as KS again.

What kind of genre? Something similar to KS? Something completely different?

Bobbybroccoli
Bobbybroccoli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Gamer
towelie101
towelie101
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Visual Novel Games Jul. 6th, 2012 @ 05:37 PM Reply

At 6/13/12 12:35 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I've never played one, but I'm curious about Chaos Head, Tsukihime and Melty Blood.

Chaos;Head (non-H) -- starts out great, but diverges toward the end. You'll wonder if you were reading the same VN you saw at the beginning, but entertaining nonetheless.

Tsukihime -- classic VN that should not be missed. H-scenes are mostly terrible, but easily skipped.

Melty Blood (non-H) -- sequel to Tsukihime. It's a fighting/VN-hybrid a la Guilty Gear/BlazBlue; if you're a fan of 2D fighters, you'll love it.

towelie101
towelie101
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Visual Novel Games Jul. 6th, 2012 @ 05:40 PM Reply

At 6/13/12 03:48 PM, BumFodder wrote: I keep forgetting what that flesh one is called.

Saya no Uta.

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Visual Novel Games Jul. 6th, 2012 @ 06:05 PM Reply

At 6/13/12 03:48 PM, BumFodder wrote: I keep forgetting what that flesh one is called.

It's Saya no Uta, I looked it up a while back.

Anything really, though another romance story would probably feel mediocre in comparison to KS.

last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal / follow me if you think you can handle it

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Visual Novel Games Jul. 6th, 2012 @ 08:54 PM Reply

At 7/6/12 05:37 PM, towelie101 wrote: Tsukihime -- classic VN that should not be missed. H-scenes are mostly terrible, but easily skipped.

Oh, I didn't know it had that sort of thing. eeeh...

Melty Blood (non-H) -- sequel to Tsukihime. It's a fighting/VN-hybrid a la Guilty Gear/BlazBlue; if you're a fan of 2D fighters, you'll love it.

didn't know that either. I love 2D fighters, though, even some of them have confusing specials, like Guilty Gear.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
towelie101
towelie101
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Visual Novel Games Jul. 6th, 2012 @ 09:51 PM Reply

At 7/6/12 06:05 PM, Jackho wrote:
Anything really, though another romance story would probably feel mediocre in comparison to KS.

To name a few:
Canvas 2
Little Busters
G-Senjou no Maou

At 7/6/12 08:54 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 7/6/12 05:37 PM, towelie101 wrote: Tsukihime -- classic VN that should not be missed. H-scenes are mostly terrible, but easily skipped.
Oh, I didn't know it had that sort of thing. eeeh...

Don't be intimidated by them. The story is really thrilling and a blast to read.

didn't know that either. I love 2D fighters, though, even some of them have confusing specials, like Guilty Gear.

I've only played MB with a keyboard, so inputting specials is a bitch but still possible. I imagine it would be way easier with a joystick/gamepad.

BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to Visual Novel Games Jul. 6th, 2012 @ 11:26 PM Reply

At 7/6/12 06:05 PM, Jackho wrote: It's Saya no Uta, I looked it up a while back.
At 7/6/12 05:40 PM, towelie101 wrote: Saya no Uta.

Yeah thats it, it sounded and looked really interesting.