00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ozziel94 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

A Decade of Matzerath

11,412 Views | 24 Replies
Respond to this Topic

A Decade of Matzerath 2011-12-05 16:09:29

This week's featured game is by Matzerath!

Matzerath has been contributing to NG for MORE THAN A DECADE. Here's a gem from each year, 2001 through 2011 (sans 2008):

It wasn't until 2010 that Matzerath made the transition from movies to games, which should be a reminder that it's never too late to try something new. You don't know what you'll be good at until you give it a shot.

This past weekend was the sixth NG Game Jam, with a theme of hallucinations. Teams were randomly assigned so most participants were collaborating with each other for the first time. It's a great way to form new partnerships; MindChamber and Mattster are already talking about making another game together!

Expect the Best of November to be announced later this week, check your account page to see if you're on the voting panel. I'm flying out to San Diego from Wednesday through Saturday for some Behemoth stuff but I'll be on my laptop so hopefully I can keep up with everything.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to A Decade of Matzerath 2011-12-05 16:18:32

At 12/5/11 04:09 PM, TomFulp wrote: which should be a reminder that it's never too late to try something new. You don't know what you'll be good at until you give it a shot.

yeah, turnin' three-one in less than a week ... i feel like i'm fast approaching "too late" for "something new".

lololol *sigh8

BBS Signature

Response to A Decade of Matzerath 2011-12-05 16:30:09

Some great stuff in that list, "How to recognize aliens" was hilarious!

BBS Signature

Response to A Decade of Matzerath 2011-12-05 16:39:38

I opened the thread, and it only had 2 links. Then I refreshed the page and now there's way more.

Tom y u no finish post before posting it?

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to A Decade of Matzerath 2011-12-05 16:56:28

At 12/5/11 04:39 PM, tally1989 wrote: I opened the thread, and it only had 2 links. Then I refreshed the page and now there's way more.

Tom y u no finish post before posting it?

After naming the thread "A Decade of Matzerath" I realized I should probably showcase a decade of stuff instead of what I had.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to A Decade of Matzerath 2011-12-05 17:09:04

He does have some impressive animations! I remember Spike too, what a great game.

Response to A Decade of Matzerath 2011-12-05 17:14:11

Glad to see that Matzerath is being giving this distinction! He's been among my favorite NG artists for years now. Friggin' love his sense of humor.

Butts

Butts

Response to A Decade of Matzerath 2011-12-05 17:20:31

Very interesting...

Response to A Decade of Matzerath 2011-12-05 17:33:38

I'm an elder statesman! I'm finally an elder statesman!
I remember when Newgrounds was just a single TeleTubbies parody on Darpanet; I'd boot up my Commodore 64, load my America On-Line tape and 3 hours later I'd be laughing my head off. It was the only Flash cartoon at that time, but it inspired millions of people to make their own crazy cartoons. I am one of those peoples.
When Newgrounds opened its submission system, it was all over. I was hooked. Even moreso when my cartoons started appearing in the 'Best of All Time' top 50 (it was a lot easier back then). Thus began a decade of thinking up weird shit, drawing with the mouse, scanning crude drawings, and dragging the nearest woman into the current bedroom -- to record the female voices. And to make-out.
It's been an awesome decade. I'm old now, but still feel inspired. I owe it to Newgrounds keeping my good-natured immaturity alive, which is why to this day still get carded when I buy alcohol. Thank you, Tom and Newgrounds, for keeping me young.
And now I make games too! It helped that I used to program BASIC on my Atari 800, but if an old codger like me can do this stuff, so can you, young person with all their teeth. I recommend that everyone become an indie game-developer, right this second. Go on, do it!
Anyway, thank you Tom. Without you, I would have had a lot harder time scaring the masses -- and my friends wouldn't think about 'The Grim Reaper Show' every time they get on a plane.
And honestly, another title for this post could be: Matzerath - A Decade of Needing a Decent Microphone. I promise I'm getting one soon!

Response to A Decade of Matzerath 2011-12-05 17:51:30

At 12/5/11 05:33 PM, Matzerath wrote: Anyway, thank you Tom. Without you, I would have had a lot harder time scaring the masses -- and my friends wouldn't think about 'The Grim Reaper Show' every time they get on a plane.

I just want to say Matzahball, your grim reaper releases were the highlight of the week to everyone in my dorms way back in high school. cheers!

BBS Signature

Response to A Decade of Matzerath 2011-12-05 18:34:00

Luckily by accident discovered to be on the voting panel ;p
I did my share. So do i get a treat now?

Response to A Decade of Matzerath 2011-12-05 19:47:34

The game jam was good while it lasted!

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to A Decade of Matzerath 2011-12-05 19:53:08

Good Job.

BBS Signature

Response to A Decade of Matzerath 2011-12-05 20:09:43

Heh, awesome, I've always liked his movies.

The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.

BBS Signature

Response to A Decade of Matzerath 2011-12-05 21:55:46

At 12/5/11 04:11 PM, Manly-Chicken wrote: God, that game jam was exhausting!

Worth it for the 30 minutes on the front page.

u r pussy whipped and its not even real internets

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to A Decade of Matzerath 2011-12-05 22:49:44

tom if your nt busy with making pico kill zombies with a rifle i just wanna say your my biggest fan your works fantastic and im a proud fan of newgrounds and happy to be part of it

Response to A Decade of Matzerath 2011-12-06 03:17:33

At 12/5/11 04:09 PM, TomFulp wrote: This week's featured game is by Matzerath!

Congrats on the recognition.

int experience, posts;

while(experience/10 >= posts)

{posts++};

Response to A Decade of Matzerath 2011-12-06 04:00:38

At 12/5/11 04:09 PM, TomFulp wrote: This week's featured game is by Matzerath!

What a great inspiration - I loved the Grim Reaper show and his games have that same sense of humour, timing and off the wall surrealism. Awesome.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to A Decade of Matzerath 2011-12-06 04:36:16

balthors tale from hell blast from the past right there

Response to A Decade of Matzerath 2011-12-06 05:28:45

always did like mr twitcho and the guy inside my head, my kind of humor.
how about some sexual scenarios?

Response to A Decade of Matzerath 2011-12-06 14:22:03

i definitely remember his early work quite vividly, especially childhood confessions. loved how gritty his art was and it's great that he's one of the few oldie portal artists who's still sticking around.

unban russianspy22

BBS Signature

Response to A Decade of Matzerath 2011-12-06 17:08:54

wow something for every year thats interesting alot of great stuff in there including the games.

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to A Decade of Matzerath 2011-12-07 00:46:45

i could have had a decade of NG flash for each year if my Dell computer didn't die in 2004..... but Congrats to Matzerath! his work is awesome!

Response to A Decade of Matzerath 2011-12-07 04:33:36

Matzerath.

I post for the first time in months to thank you for your creations.
They gave me a smile during tough times in my life.
I return to see you only imporved with time and I smile again.
It's the artists like you that make newgrounds.

Thank you sir.

<3 Enoll

R.I.P LIVECORPSE

Response to A Decade of Matzerath 2011-12-08 02:24:54

At 12/7/11 10:49 AM, Chronamut wrote: where the hell have YOU been>? Lol..

Two kids, a wife and a full time job.

R.I.P LIVECORPSE