New Topic Respond to this Topic
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
The Fate Of The Nacs Dec. 2nd, 2011 @ 10:54 PM Reply

So a few of you in the past have expressed concerns about how I run the NACs - and that's fine - you are all entitled to your opinions. I personally don't care WHO runs it - as long as someone does it consistantly liek I showed I could for a year.

So I am making this thread as a vote tabulator. Those that feel that I should keep doing it say so - those that feel someone else should - please label who.

At the end of the month I shall tabulate up the votes. If they're still in favour of me I shall continue - if they support someone else I will ask that person if they feel willing.. otherwise we will find someone else.

I've taken a lot of heat for these contests - and contrary to popular belief this isn't some ego trip I am doing - tbh I just wanted to bring the community together - and aside from all the premadonna whining - I do believe we did just that.

There. I've said my peace - let your words either support me or deny me.

Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to The Fate Of The Nacs Dec. 2nd, 2011 @ 10:59 PM Reply

It's hard to keep these running consistently with the community in mind. I don't really have anyone in mind at the moment. But you know that a contest can't be perfect and without some complaints or questions. It's all in an effort to make the experience more enjoyable and smooth.

Hell i had a blast with the NAC's i participated in and hosted. Yes i made comments that might have contradicted parts of the wall-o-text of rules, but they where things i had to ask and ask so that others would know the answer to them.

There will always be something out there that will try to be a community effort for us to do. I'll be the first to say thanks for the time and effort that you put in to these.

Acid-Paradox
Acid-Paradox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Musician
Response to The Fate Of The Nacs Dec. 3rd, 2011 @ 12:18 AM Reply

To keep it short , I don't have any problems with Chron being the NAC organizer. I know that these past months there has been a lot of discussion about the organization of the NAC but come on nobody is perfect and sometimes we make mistakes but in the end we learn from those mistakes and improve our way of doing things.

Now on the other side , if we need to choose another person to organize the NAC for whatever reason, I would go with Brokendeck , he is a user that is a mature person , he has been a judge for these contests before so i think he knows how this contests rolls and i think that he has a "neutrality" towards music genres.

Music is my passion , not my business.

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to The Fate Of The Nacs Dec. 3rd, 2011 @ 12:19 AM Reply

Chron, we mods have this covered already.

p.s. i am gay

FaeryTaleAdventurer
FaeryTaleAdventurer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to The Fate Of The Nacs Dec. 3rd, 2011 @ 12:48 AM Reply

At 12/2/11 10:54 PM, Chronamut wrote: So a few of you in the past have expressed concerns about how I run the NACs - and that's fine - you are all entitled to your opinions. I personally don't care WHO runs it - as long as someone does it consistantly liek I showed I could for a year.

So I am making this thread as a vote tabulator. Those that feel that I should keep doing it say so - those that feel someone else should - please label who.

At the end of the month I shall tabulate up the votes. If they're still in favour of me I shall continue - if they support someone else I will ask that person if they feel willing.. otherwise we will find someone else.

I've taken a lot of heat for these contests - and contrary to popular belief this isn't some ego trip I am doing - tbh I just wanted to bring the community together - and aside from all the prima donna whining - I do believe we did just that.

There. I've said my piece - let your words either support me or deny me.

*fixed*

Just look at my aura. It's going to stay that way. There are some nice things about the NACs I'd love to talk about as well as not-so-good.

First let's look at the not-so-good stuff:

Aside from the occasional text errors, it'd be nice to be notified when a winner's song is being featured. Sure it feels good to know that it's going to be featured after winning, but it'd help to be informed where and when. I say this from personal experience, of course.

Segregation of the NAC monthly threads to me, feels a bit un-needed. I looked at what Tom did with his own October audio contest, and it didn't seem to be an issue for the contestants. I think you'll end up having heart issues if you divide the NACs into three threads all the time. With one thread, there's only one that needs to be kept track of.

Flak me as hard as you want for this next one, but I think the heat should be cranked up on how business is handled, with respect to the rules that each NAC has enforced. No "it's going to be late" PMs (sry, uint), or anything that will make you seem like a push-over (I'm typically late, I can't lie about that; don't go easy on me). Be direct on things like submitting in the month, and on the thread before the deadline.

Now the good stuff:

The NACs are a great idea, when it comes to having people push themselves. If there's one thing that should ever come out of a competition, it should be that the competitors are getting stronger. Every month felt like a grand opportunity to tweak, and tweak and tweak, until all of a sudden, "I made it into the top 8?".

The submissions themselves are a great opportunity, for people to listen to other artist's tracks, which in turn may potentially turn the producer of the music a favorite, and maybe even the song itself! The NAC is one of few places on the website where submissions can get high visibility. A contestant might not win or place, but they'll get recognition!

Another great opportunity surrounding NACs like the rhythm one of September IIRC, is the possibility of your work being used in a flash animation or game. All of the steps taken, including ??? can lead to profit. When earning spoils such as monetary prizes or sigs doesn't cut it, having your music heard in an NG creation(s), surely may; it'll always be there.
-------------

As you can see, Chronamut, I'm a plus and minus here as promised. The idea's not perfect, but it certainly seems to blow the fur off of my idea /sadface.

If the NACs stay, it'll always be a joy to join in on the fun, meet new people, have some laughs.

If the NACs leave, it will always be a great memory to me. Not even that I won one, but that me, like pretty much everyone else here, has become a better person. Sure not everyone can be pleased (there's almost always going to be someone that's surprised they weren't placed, and there'll be people that wil be surprised that someone else didn't place as well!), but by golly the experience of giving it our all should always be self-rewarding.
=======================================

Too-long:Didn't Read translation: I don't hate it!

JPRixdorfer
JPRixdorfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to The Fate Of The Nacs Dec. 3rd, 2011 @ 06:10 AM Reply

I'm pro chron

He's a guy who kicks people's asses for not obeying the rules, even if he forgot to put the rules in. I wouldn't have the guts to do that, I don't know if anyone else would. Problem is, if you start becoming weak in this, you have already lost - but Chron is tough.

If there are errors in the TL;DR rules part, why doesn't anyone set up a correction note in the thread?

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to The Fate Of The Nacs Dec. 3rd, 2011 @ 06:29 AM Reply

At 12/3/11 12:19 AM, midimachine wrote: Chron, we mods have this covered already.

Bad midi, the world is not yet ready for our plans! You shall be severely punished!

As for my vote, nothing personal, but my vote goes for discontinuation.

The words "NAC" and "Drama" have almost become synonymous at this point. Which I think means it might be a good time to let it go.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to The Fate Of The Nacs Dec. 3rd, 2011 @ 09:03 AM Reply

There is no "consistency"-criteria to be able to run a contest on this forum.

You have no power to decide who's eligible to run a contest in this forum

ANYONE is welcome to make contests on this forum. THE BBS MODERATORS run this forum and decides what's OK first and foremost.

The NAC is a concept created by yourself and Brokendeck, possibly a few others, I don't know really. However, you may have a say if somone wishes to use that same concept, of course, but if somone want to make a contest and/or a contest concept then YOU HAVE NO POWER TO DECIDE IF IT'S OK OR NOT IN THIS FORUM. Therefore I would strongly urge anyone who feel like they're up to it to simply NOT make a contest called "NAC" with the current concept. Whatever concept that might be.
If somone wishes to shoulder the MAC, there are a few criterias to fill up and myself and perhaps a few others can help out with quality-assuring of the contest.

Voting threads and polls generally aren't allowed on the BBS, btw. i'll just lock this if the drama-o-meter or the ego-o-meter turns even more ugly

Join the Newgrounds Battlefield 3 Platoon (for PC)! DON'T ASK WHAT YOUR GAME CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR, UH, NEWGROUNDS! ON BATTLEFIELD 3. eh...

Atlas
Atlas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to The Fate Of The Nacs Dec. 3rd, 2011 @ 11:18 AM Reply

As long as the NAC's continue I will be happy but I don't have any problems with Chron being the one running them.

I myself haven't seen any drama happen and that is probably because I have only participated in last month's NAC and plan to participate in this month's as well.

Steam | Letterboxd | AllPoetry | Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature
jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to The Fate Of The Nacs Dec. 3rd, 2011 @ 01:45 PM Reply

I'm for the MACs coming back.

I'm ambivalent towards Chron's contest really, been too uninterested in the themes to try at many. The contest being there doesn't harm me in any way, but surely benefits the community and other users. That said, it could be a bit of a tighter ship considering it has Fulp approval and all.

Atlas
Atlas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to The Fate Of The Nacs Dec. 3rd, 2011 @ 03:59 PM Reply

At 12/3/11 01:45 PM, jpbear wrote: I'm for the MACs coming back.

I'm ambivalent towards Chron's contest really, been too uninterested in the themes to try at many. The contest being there doesn't harm me in any way, but surely benefits the community and other users. That said, it could be a bit of a tighter ship considering it has Fulp approval and all.

I hope you meant NAC.

Steam | Letterboxd | AllPoetry | Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature
Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to The Fate Of The Nacs Dec. 3rd, 2011 @ 04:20 PM Reply

At 12/3/11 03:59 PM, J-Rex wrote:
I hope you meant NAC.

No he meant MAC, they where the "Monthly Audio Contests" that happened a while back before the NAC's actually

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to The Fate Of The Nacs Dec. 3rd, 2011 @ 07:08 PM Reply

But of course Rucklo - everyone knows that they are fully entitled to make any audio contest during the month and run it by the mods - that was never in doubt. However this is simply for the NAC brand of contests we are discussing this.

Chris-V2
Chris-V2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to The Fate Of The Nacs Dec. 3rd, 2011 @ 07:50 PM Reply

Drama Llamas? On my Newgrounds?

Rahmemhotep
Rahmemhotep
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to The Fate Of The Nacs Dec. 3rd, 2011 @ 08:23 PM Reply

Chronamut should continue hosting them.

My sig is clickable and takes you some place.
Best Thread Ever

BBS Signature
AeroMusic
AeroMusic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Fate Of The Nacs Dec. 3rd, 2011 @ 10:22 PM Reply

I'd vote for Chron, mainly because he does them consistently, and well and every month - how it should be!

Adam-Beilgard
Adam-Beilgard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Musician
Response to The Fate Of The Nacs Dec. 4th, 2011 @ 12:07 AM Reply

I think it's good to get feedback, but this, to me, is pandering.
If someone else wants to host an NAC, let them.
Don't ask for people to vote you out.
Don't invite drama.
Do what you do because you want to.
People will vote with their feet, the best hosted NAC will win.

...the four right chords can make me cry
Some mellow jazz

BBS Signature
Realmguys
Realmguys
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to The Fate Of The Nacs Dec. 4th, 2011 @ 12:18 AM Reply

I have been on this site for a long time and have seen many artists/musicians come and go. I rarely say much on the forums (rather I prefer to talk to folks one-on-one), but always keep an eye on what is going on. Newgrounds has seen many variations of monthly contests and collaborations over the years. All/Most have failed for one reason or another. I have never seen anything run collectively and as well as the NACs. The cohesive glue that holds it together is Chron. Yes, he may have an indesisive way of presenting criteria for the contests at times, but he sticks to his guns in the end, and does not fizzle out when receiving negative feedback regarding his management of the monthly event. Chron spends a lot of his valuable time making it happen and organizing. I enjoy being part of the contests as a Judge, but would have never thought of participating if anybody else was running it. I've seen too many people talk the talk and totally let everyone down. I vote to continue things as they are with Chron running the show.

This kind of thing would crumble (and in the past years here on NG, HAS crumbled), without the passion and pride to keep it going.

BBS Signature
EoD696
EoD696
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to The Fate Of The Nacs Dec. 4th, 2011 @ 02:57 AM Reply

At 12/3/11 10:22 PM, AeroMusic wrote: I'd vote for Chron, mainly because he does them consistently, and well and every month - how it should be!

Ditto. Not to mention, it's thanks to chron's generosity and interest in the community's lower echelon that I've even been included or enticed to participate in monthly contests at all. I think some stirring of the AP ought occur, beyond the elite artists.

Rampant
Rampant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to The Fate Of The Nacs Dec. 4th, 2011 @ 10:19 AM Reply

It is of my opinion that the NAC's should be stopped, and the MAC's brought back. Brokendeck is an even-handed organizer and judge with no personal bias toward any musician or style.

Additionally, I believe that having a contest organized and run by the mod team may help prevent another 'hamstercake'-like series of events from happening.

Stupor
Stupor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to The Fate Of The Nacs Dec. 4th, 2011 @ 12:22 PM Reply

Casting my vote, as I have since the beginning, to Brokendeck.

Sometimes, it would rain men. "Hallelujah!", we would cry. Thousands were killed.

ProudAardvark
ProudAardvark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Fate Of The Nacs Dec. 4th, 2011 @ 03:25 PM Reply

Brokendeck has the kind of outgoing and friendly presence that I think really helps to foster a great community here.

BBS Signature
YouriX
YouriX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Musician
Response to The Fate Of The Nacs Dec. 4th, 2011 @ 05:34 PM Reply

ONE problem i had with the NAC was the banning the styles of music i love. Dubstep and Drum and bass.
This to me is a really big turn off.
So yeah i guess i vote for Brokendeck.

Thegluestickman
Thegluestickman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Fate Of The Nacs Dec. 4th, 2011 @ 05:47 PM Reply

I think change is due in the audio forum. I like Brokendeck, he seems like a very friendly, approachable and outgoing person AKA a perfect contest host. The NAC's topics are too weird and ambient and the rules seem arbitrary.

To protect the world from devastation.
kidd25 is the best Newgrounder ever.

BBS Signature
samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to The Fate Of The Nacs Dec. 4th, 2011 @ 05:54 PM Reply

At 12/4/11 05:34 PM, YouriX wrote: ONE problem i had with the NAC was the banning the styles of music i love. Dubstep and Drum and bass.
This to me is a really big turn off.
So yeah i guess i vote for Brokendeck.

It doesn't matter what genre you write, you should be able to participate on an equal (more or less) playing field with others. Even not allowing certain genres because of the general disposition of their creators (i.e. like how some genres often are filled with people who use illegal samples or such), as there are others in that genre who are not like that.

I know little of either person, so I won't make an opinion until I read some more on what each has done, both good and bad.

My Music - Virtual Instruments - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature
YouriX
YouriX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Musician
Response to The Fate Of The Nacs Dec. 5th, 2011 @ 07:59 AM Reply

At 12/4/11 05:54 PM, samulis wrote: It doesn't matter what genre you write, you should be able to participate on an equal (more or less) playing field with others. Even not allowing certain genres because of the general disposition of their creators (i.e. like how some genres often are filled with people who use illegal samples or such), as there are others in that genre who are not like that.

The thing is ALL genres atleast electronic including ambient songs can use illegal sampling. So you can't pin it to simply one of them.
Second its kinda unfair to not allow certain genres simply because "you dont like them". In my opinion a contest should be able to let everybody join in without others feeling alienated.

Usernamemyarse
Usernamemyarse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Melancholy
Response to The Fate Of The Nacs Dec. 5th, 2011 @ 08:10 AM Reply

Im pro Chron.
My only problem I have with the NACs is that they are a bit too harsh, id personally like it if they here a bit more inclusive HOWEVER: it is important to establish some rules, I wish the rules would be a bit more inclusive, for example:

I dont have a mic, and I dont have any real connections with vocalists that have mics, so I cant compete when theres a "Vocals only" rule, the same goes for genre, if theres a "Jazz only" rule then I honestly dont have anything to compete with.

But thats my two cents, I know a lot of this has been said before, but hey, you asked for my opinion and thats what you get:)

For the tl;dr crowd: Pro Chron, but room for improvement.

BBS Signature
DreamsfromGin
DreamsfromGin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to The Fate Of The Nacs Dec. 5th, 2011 @ 06:09 PM Reply

I'm for Chronamut . . . You do a excellent job.

s

Arbiter
Arbiter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to The Fate Of The Nacs Dec. 5th, 2011 @ 08:36 PM Reply

At 12/3/11 07:45 PM, LaForge wrote: I find that Chron has a bit too much of an ego (he actually named one of the contests after himself, after all) to host a monthly audio contest by himself. The NACs have been degenerating since Creepy Chronnies and I think it's time to purge them.

After all I've seen during the competitions, this would be the most accurate statement in accordance with my own beliefs.

OrphenFire
OrphenFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to The Fate Of The Nacs Dec. 6th, 2011 @ 04:40 PM Reply

I haven't been here long, so I don't have much experience to speak from, but so far I have seen no problems with Chron like people are describing. Complaining about the rules is just ridiculous. Rules are rules, and his are completely fair. Follow them or don't participate. It's that simple.

I think perhaps one change could be more official judges on board to balance out any "biased" judging. That's a two edged statement, too. What I mean is: have more official judges who judge alongside Chron every month, as well as supplementary judges from a volunteer pool, if anyone else wants to.

Just my $0.02.

Vote for Chron. Support improvement.