Be a Supporter!

Merry Chri- I Mean - Happy Holidays

  • 2,509 Views
  • 106 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Mfan
Mfan
  • Member since: Sep. 5, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Melancholy
Response to Merry Chri- I Mean - Happy Holidays 2011-11-30 22:09:31 Reply

At 11/30/11 10:00 PM, Sensationalism wrote:
Your post was nonsensical on so many levels.

let me see if i can explain it you

in this thread we have two sides of a debate, that Christmas , X-mas , Hanukkah , and etc are either government driven and supported holidays in order to offend a group that observes another religion separate from one of these holidays , then there's the counter argument that these holidays can be observed without any particular member of a religion/ belief /whateverthefuckathesimisclassifedas getting offended

the way i say it, we can solve this problem for ever , either rid ourselves of political correctness (which will never happen) or outlaw religions, so there's one less thing to be politically correct about


Republican

Mfan
Mfan
  • Member since: Sep. 5, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Melancholy
Response to Merry Chri- I Mean - Happy Holidays 2011-11-30 22:11:42 Reply

At 11/30/11 10:09 PM, Mfan wrote:

the way i * say it, we can solve this problem for ever , * either rid ourselves of political correctness (which will never happen) or outlaw religions, so there's one less thing to be politically correct about

see it * and we have two options *


Republican

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to Merry Chri- I Mean - Happy Holidays 2011-11-30 22:16:46 Reply

At 11/30/11 10:09 PM, Mfan wrote:
At 11/30/11 10:00 PM, Sensationalism wrote:
Your post was nonsensical on so many levels.
let me see if i can explain it you

in this thread we have two sides of a debate, that Christmas , X-mas , Hanukkah , and etc are either government driven and supported holidays in order to offend a group that observes another religion separate from one of these holidays , then there's the counter argument that these holidays can be observed without any particular member of a religion/ belief /whateverthefuckathesimisclassifedas getting offended

the way i say it, we can solve this problem for ever , either rid ourselves of political correctness (which will never happen) or outlaw religions, so there's one less thing to be politically correct about

Outlawing religions is worse than offending someone by wishing them a merry christmas. One of the things our country was founded on is freedom of religion (oops not everyone is from my country), taking away basic rights is ridiculous. What are you going to do, require everyone to be agnostic? That's ridiculous. You can't control something like that nor should you. People should be free to believe whatever they want as long as it doesn't harm others.

Only cunts with no life who take everything personally and way too seriously care about political correctness.


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Member since: Jan. 14, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to Merry Chri- I Mean - Happy Holidays 2011-11-30 22:19:39 Reply

At 11/30/11 10:16 PM, Sensationalism wrote: Only cunts with no life who take everything personally and way too seriously care about political correctness.

Pretty much this, but including people who believe every word the news says.

SuperSilver123
SuperSilver123
  • Member since: Jun. 12, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Merry Chri- I Mean - Happy Holidays 2011-11-30 22:22:04 Reply

I do agree with Jedi-Master that religion should not be endorsed by the government but I agree with EmmaVolt that Merry Christmas shouldn't really offend people (unless if its endorsed by the government).

Mfan
Mfan
  • Member since: Sep. 5, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Melancholy
Response to Merry Chri- I Mean - Happy Holidays 2011-11-30 22:29:03 Reply

At 11/30/11 10:16 PM, Sensationalism wrote:
Outlawing religions is worse than offending someone by wishing them a merry christmas. One of the things our country was founded on is freedom of religion (oops not everyone is from my country), taking away basic rights is ridiculous. What are you going to do, require everyone to be agnostic? That's ridiculous. You can't control something like that nor should you. People should be free to believe whatever they want as long as it doesn't harm others

i was being sarcastic, but nonetheless ..

Only cunts with no life who take everything personally and way too seriously care about political correctness.

then you should be arguing against the one's ITT ( no names needed because EVERYONE knows who they are) , to come right out and bash religion relentlessly , and essentially are saying that religion is used as a governmental medium to war against religions just by simply putting up a nativity scene , which in that case, the very basic symbol of the cross and Jewish star should be illegal to put up in public space, just because it could offend a Muslim

which essentially should just lead to religion being outlawed, just because it could lead to someone agnostic being offended by the cross , and the jesus fish bumper sticker, oh but you can't take their Darwin fish because they don't believe in a god

fucking merry CHRISTmas, sue me


Republican

Emma
Emma
  • Member since: Oct. 29, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Filmmaker
Response to Merry Chri- I Mean - Happy Holidays 2011-11-30 22:32:50 Reply

At 11/30/11 09:53 PM, Jedi-Master wrote:
At 11/30/11 09:25 PM, EmmaVolt wrote: Yeah, okay. Again, tell me if anyone gets offended by something like that.
The phrase "happy holidays" probably wouldn't exist if there weren't a significant number of people getting offended by the phrase known as "Merry Christmas."

Or, a few very important people who scream loud enough in court.

If you believe so, that's fine.
You make it seem as if historically speaking, governments that endorsed a religion never proceeded to attack other religions. Of course, history says otherwise.

Yeah well, you're separated church and state is attacking Muslims for being associated with "terrorists". So, don't tell me that a Christmas tree in town square is going to start a war.

Well making a holiday "less offensive" by taking away the meaning of it seems to be catering to all the other religions. Otherwise it would be, as you said, an attack.
It's not that people are attempting to make Christmas itself offensive; rather, they want to encourage people to say "happy holidays" to be more inclusive and eliminate the risk of offending people.

That's what I'm saying though. You are offending more people by ignoring the holiday and making blanket statements. I guess the reasoning is well-intentioned, but I don't know many people who dislike Christmas enough to not say "Merry Christmas".

And honestly, "offensiveness" is such a thrown word these days.

I thought it was a pretty basic analogy. Apparently not.
Yeah, but sports is trivial compared to religion.

You seem to think religion is trivial.

Well, a few court cases from overly exaggerative people are bad representations of popular opinion.
Actually, most Americans support the notion that the 1st amendment prohibits separation of church and state.

I'm just on Christmas ...

Philosophically, the majority shouldn't mix their majority religion with their government. No religion should be entangled with government.

I just don't see how Christmas is a problem, sorry. Maybe it's a problem to extremely passionate atheists - but, I just don't see it even if the government says Merry Christmas.

It may sound like a slippery-slope fallacy, but history shows that only bad things happen when government entangles itself with religion of any kind. I wouldn't want that to happen anywhere around the globe again.

I'm not saying the government should be Christian. I'm saying it should be okay with Christmas - a holiday ...

Damn. It's just a holiday!
A holiday that still cannot be endorsed by government.

Whatever.

Well here I'm talking about saying "Merry Christmas".
Yeah, but earlier, you linked to some article discussing Christmas trees being renamed "Holiday Trees."
....So, I'm just responding to that.

Oh okay, sorry.


BBS Signature
Burgerknight
Burgerknight
  • Member since: Nov. 29, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Merry Chri- I Mean - Happy Holidays 2011-11-30 23:35:50 Reply

Everyone i have an insightful mental trip that will change this topic forever! say merry holidays and happy Christmas then affer that insightful pledge of Christmas honoring.Run from the mob run and don't look back.

Kunera
Kunera
  • Member since: Sep. 5, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Merry Chri- I Mean - Happy Holidays 2011-11-30 23:49:09 Reply

I haven't gone out of my way to say "Happy Holidays," instead, and honestly, I've yet to find someone interrupting me, offended when I say "Merry Christmas." If you were offended by it on some level, I still feel like a normal person would recognize the good intentions behind it, and just let it go.


Hey guys, you should totally check out my YouTube channel.
Also, dat Steam

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Merry Chri- I Mean - Happy Holidays 2011-12-01 00:28:03 Reply

I don't see the big deal. I know I'd never be offended if somebody said "happy Chanukah" or "happy Kwanza" to me. It would be kind of odd, but I'd thank them for the gesture. But I also don't see the big deal about people being upset about others saying "happy holidays". It's all inclusive and still a nice thing to say. If you think about it, it's just a more effective way to be courteous to someone when you don't know what religion, if any, they follow. People responding with "I'm an atheist", though...that's just dickish. Just say "thanks" and move on. It's the same with when somebody says "god bless you" when you sneeze. I mean, even I still say that, or more often, just "bless you".

At 11/30/11 11:17 AM, EmmaVolt wrote:
Seriously, if you're offended by the most popular and well-known holiday, just ignore it.

Well, it's impossible to ignore, but I get what you mean, and I agree.

Also, this "holiday tree" thing sounds dumb, but I don't see what's so bad about it. I mean, I think they're just being careful about the whole not endorsing any specific religion deal. That's kinda silly, I think, but whatever. I don't see a reason to be bothered by it.

At 11/30/11 11:19 AM, Natick wrote: I don't mean to offend but did you ever see that South Park episode where Stan's mom was trying to ban Christmas because it was offensive?

That was Kyle's mom, pal.

I'm not your pal, buddy!
At 11/30/11 11:59 AM, Ericho wrote: It's a rather silly thing to talk about. I remember atheist activists on TV saying that Christmas had enough secular aspects in it that they were not offended by it in contrast to public prayer which could be found as offensive.

Yep, plus a lot of us celebrate it, anyway. I do. It's my favorite holiday. To me, it's just about celebrating the winter solstice, being festive, spending time with family, eating good food, and of course, exchanging gifts. You don't have to be a Christian to love that. Although, I hate winter, and for just one reason, and that is having to shovel the driveway. If it weren't for that, I'd love it. I love the cold and the sight of snow.

At 11/30/11 12:05 PM, WeHaveFreshCookies wrote: It's a Christmas. If you're offended by that, don't celebrate. It's literally about the celebration of Jesus' birth. I don't know why people are trying to secularise an entirely religious holiday.

I understand that for Christians, the main point of Christmas is the birth of Jesus, and it is indeed the origin of the holiday. But plenty of non-religious people enjoy celebrating the holiday for all the other aspects of it. It's just tradition, now for a lot of people, even if they don't believe that Jesus was the son of God. Plus, I'm sure most people know this, but a lot of the things about how Christmas is celebrated now comes from Saturnalia, and I'm pretty sure almost all of humanity is beyond believing in Greek/Roman mythology. Plus, you know, we've got Santa.


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
Samuraikyo
Samuraikyo
  • Member since: Feb. 14, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Filmmaker
Response to Merry Chri- I Mean - Happy Holidays 2011-12-01 00:38:31 Reply

Isn't everyone tired of people getting offended? Is everyone tired of getting offended themselves? I mean, it's all over ridiculous trivial shit.

I mean what? Someone smiles and wishes you a Merry Christmas. You know they meant have a good Holiday. They weren't forcing their beliefs or any ideas into your head.

So someone smiles at you and says Merry Christmas....will that ruin your day? I don't want anyone to wish me a happy holiday because what if i'm not planning on being happy? Stop forcing your happy beliefs down my throat. Who gives a fuck?

It's like:

Honey! You're never gonna believe what some asshole said to me today!

Kwing
Kwing
  • Member since: Jul. 24, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 45
Game Developer
Response to Merry Chri- I Mean - Happy Holidays 2011-12-01 03:31:47 Reply

I was raised celebrating Christmas and still say merry Christmas sometimes, but as a general rule I say happy holidays or "have a good break" out of habit.


If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.
Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

walterwagner
walterwagner
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Writer
Response to Merry Chri- I Mean - Happy Holidays 2011-12-01 06:25:22 Reply

ok im athiest and i dont understand this isnt christmas celbrating the birth of jesus? why are people offended?


I Know Drugs, I Know Video Games, I Know Litliture, I Know Dru- wait...nevermind. Feel free to discuss any of these with me

BBS Signature
SlashFirestorm
SlashFirestorm
  • Member since: Jun. 14, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Animator
Response to Merry Chri- I Mean - Happy Holidays 2011-12-01 07:17:39 Reply

I have no opinion beyond being disgusted by the annual "WAAAAH WAR ON CHRISTMAS WAAAH WE'RE VICTIMS DESPITE HOLDING ALL THE POWER" brouhaha.


Slash's call
was absorbed
by the darkness.

BBS Signature
Light
Light
  • Member since: May. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Reader
Response to Merry Chri- I Mean - Happy Holidays 2011-12-01 15:36:50 Reply

At 11/30/11 10:32 PM, EmmaVolt wrote:
At 11/30/11 09:53 PM, Jedi-Master wrote:
At 11/30/11 09:25 PM, EmmaVolt wrote: Yeah, okay. Again, tell me if anyone gets offended by something like that.
The phrase "happy holidays" probably wouldn't exist if there weren't a significant number of people getting offended by the phrase known as "Merry Christmas."
Or, a few very important people who scream loud enough in court.

No one ever went to court to change "Merry Christmas" to "Happy Holidays."

It's a social attitude, not a legal mandate.

If you believe so, that's fine.
You make it seem as if historically speaking, governments that endorsed a religion never proceeded to attack other religions. Of course, history says otherwise.
Yeah well, you're separated church and state is attacking Muslims for being associated with "terrorists".

Not true.

The FBI and local law enforcement agencies(With the strange exception of the New York Police Department) don't really "attack" Muslims or whatever, unless you count "religious profiling" as such.

So, don't tell me that a Christmas tree in town square is going to start a war.

I never said it would, but having a Christmas tree on public property is an endorsement of religion.

And honestly, there are parts of this country where non-Christians have it a little harder thanks to government.

Well making a holiday "less offensive" by taking away the meaning of it seems to be catering to all the other religions. Otherwise it would be, as you said, an attack.
It's not that people are attempting to make Christmas itself offensive; rather, they want to encourage people to say "happy holidays" to be more inclusive and eliminate the risk of offending people.
That's what I'm saying though. You are offending more people by ignoring the holiday and making blanket statements.

How is saying "Happy Holidays," a statement that is inclusive of Christmas, an attempt to ignore it?

I guess the reasoning is well-intentioned, but I don't know many people who dislike Christmas enough to not say "Merry Christmas".

It's nothing to dislike. People who don't celebrate Christmas simply don't say "Merry Christmas."

And honestly, "offensiveness" is such a thrown word these days.

That doesn't diminish the feeling of being offended by those who say they are.

I thought it was a pretty basic analogy. Apparently not.
Yeah, but sports is trivial compared to religion.
You seem to think religion is trivial.

I don't. However, I'm not a fan of religion. Well, the Abrahamic ones anyway.

Well, a few court cases from overly exaggerative people are bad representations of popular opinion.
Actually, most Americans support the notion that the 1st amendment prohibits separation of church and state.
I'm just on Christmas ...

You mentioned court cases in response to my saying something about separation of church and state. You said that the decisions of these court cases didn't reflect popular opinion. I proved that to be untrue.

Philosophically, the majority shouldn't mix their majority religion with their government. No religion should be entangled with government.
I just don't see how Christmas is a problem, sorry. Maybe it's a problem to extremely passionate atheists - but, I just don't see it even if the government says Merry Christmas.

It's a problem to many people who aren't Christians. Believe it or not, the U.S. has religious minorities; not everyone here is Christian. The same goes for many other countries.

The government shouldn't say Merry Christmas in any way, shape, or form. I know it sounds radical and extremely anti-Christian, but I would say the same with regard to phrases like "Happy Chanukah" or any other religious saying.

It may sound like a slippery-slope fallacy, but history shows that only bad things happen when government entangles itself with religion of any kind. I wouldn't want that to happen anywhere around the globe again.
I'm not saying the government should be Christian. I'm saying it should be okay with Christmas - a holiday ...

Which would then result in the government endorsing Christianity, as Christmas is a Christian holiday.

Damn. It's just a holiday!
A holiday that still cannot be endorsed by government.
Whatever.

I'll just assume that you're agreeing with me. ;)

Well here I'm talking about saying "Merry Christmas".
Yeah, but earlier, you linked to some article discussing Christmas trees being renamed "Holiday Trees."
....So, I'm just responding to that.
Oh okay, sorry.

OK.


I was formerly known as "Jedi-Master."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

BBS Signature
EmmDubya
EmmDubya
  • Member since: Feb. 23, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Audiophile
Response to Merry Chri- I Mean - Happy Holidays 2011-12-01 16:23:32 Reply

I live in the UK, and there's a lot of non-Christians around and even with the general political correctness I don't believe I've ever heard people using the term 'happy holidays' in order to avoid confrontation with others, and generally Christmas is the most commonly used term, even for Atheists and Muslims. I think the whole getting pissed off at people for continuing traditions is silly, however people whom get pissed off at the aforementioned people hype up the amount of people doing so far more than they should, it's usually a very small (albeit vocal) minority, and perhaps one or two politicians. The whole thing's blown out of proportion, it seems.


Formerly known as mwmike | I'm moderately active on last.fm | Before you post, read these. Please.

BBS Signature
oddworth
oddworth
  • Member since: Oct. 26, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Melancholy
Response to Merry Chri- I Mean - Happy Holidays 2011-12-01 16:28:25 Reply

todas mind set is if you're from an english speaking country your feelings and opinion doesnt matter aslong as everyone else is happy.


I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!

BBS Signature
saltovergray
saltovergray
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Merry Chri- I Mean - Happy Holidays 2011-12-01 16:40:52 Reply

I say "Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!"

Because fuck you if you think that a pleasant greeting like "Merry Christmas!" is offensive, but just for you I'll say "Happy Holidays" you God damn twat.


BBS Signature
Emma
Emma
  • Member since: Oct. 29, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Filmmaker
Response to Merry Chri- I Mean - Happy Holidays 2011-12-01 16:54:03 Reply

At 12/1/11 03:36 PM, Jedi-Master wrote:
At 11/30/11 10:32 PM, EmmaVolt wrote: Or, a few very important people who scream loud enough in court.
No one ever went to court to change "Merry Christmas" to "Happy Holidays."
It's a social attitude, not a legal mandate.

Apparently someone did. It hasn't been like this forever.

Yeah well, you're separated church and state is attacking Muslims for being associated with "terrorists".
Not true.
The FBI and local law enforcement agencies(With the strange exception of the New York Police Department) don't really "attack" Muslims or whatever, unless you count "religious profiling" as such.

I count religious profiling as attacking. I also consider dehumanization of an associated race as attacking - along with unfair generalization and manipulation of information.

So, don't tell me that a Christmas tree in town square is going to start a war.
I never said it would, but having a Christmas tree on public property is an endorsement of religion.

What I'm saying is, I don't care. I disagree that it is an endorsement of a religion. It's an endorsement of a holiday. Maybe if you had a giant cross with the story of Jesus's birth on it (with a claim of His divinity), it would be a religious endorsement. A tree symbolizing a specific holiday is NOT an endorsement of a religion.

And honestly, there are parts of this country where non-Christians have it a little harder thanks to government.

Yeah, okay. Most of those claims are "I'm offended by this person's beliefs". I don't define that as having a hard time.

That's what I'm saying though. You are offending more people by ignoring the holiday and making blanket statements.
How is saying "Happy Holidays," a statement that is inclusive of Christmas, an attempt to ignore it?

When you remove Christmas from Christmas-related things and call it all-inclusive.

This is where my sports analogy fit in: "Related trophies should be banned, and instead be replaced by logos of completely irrelevant tournaments."

I guess the reasoning is well-intentioned, but I don't know many people who dislike Christmas enough to not say "Merry Christmas".
It's nothing to dislike. People who don't celebrate Christmas simply don't say "Merry Christmas."

That's fine. I'm just saying it's VERY immature, given the culture, to get upset when someone wishes you a merry Christmas. If there were a muslim holiday that came around this time of year, and a muslim wished me a "Happy (name of holiday)", as long as the holiday wasn't outrageously offensive, I would appreciate their offer.

It's people who get offended by Christmas enough to claim to be all-inclusive that piss me off.

And honestly, "offensiveness" is such a thrown word these days.
That doesn't diminish the feeling of being offended by those who say they are.

Yeah, it does. Very much so.

"Pinch me so I can sue you for assault."

The meaning/impact of the word "sue" here is diminished.

You mentioned court cases in response to my saying something about separation of church and state. You said that the decisions of these court cases didn't reflect popular opinion. I proved that to be untrue.

No, you didn't. You proved that the people who went to court had that opinion - and that is fairly obvious. The mere fact that more people make an effort to say "Merry Christmas" refutes the idea that most of our population is offended by Christmas.

I just don't see how Christmas is a problem, sorry. Maybe it's a problem to extremely passionate atheists - but, I just don't see it even if the government says Merry Christmas.
It's a problem to many people who aren't Christians. Believe it or not, the U.S. has religious minorities; not everyone here is Christian. The same goes for many other countries.

Lol, okay. Christmas is a holiday not a religion. Plenty of non-Christians celebrate Christmas.

The government shouldn't say Merry Christmas in any way, shape, or form. I know it sounds radical and extremely anti-Christian, but I would say the same with regard to phrases like "Happy Chanukah" or any other religious saying.

Nah, I think they should be free to say anything related to a non-offensive or exclusively religious holiday. If you get upset by a time of cheer and joy - get over yourself. It's not like the government is saying "Become Christian!" it's saying "Merry Christmas".

I'm not saying the government should be Christian. I'm saying it should be okay with Christmas - a holiday ...
Which would then result in the government endorsing Christianity, as Christmas is a Christian holiday.

No, it's endorsing a holiday! Whether you want to jump to religious conclusions is your own problem. it would be different if the government endorsed Easter - because Easter is the direct celebration of a religious belief. Christmas is - if anything - a celebration of a historical occurrence.

Oh, and what's the deal with complete impartiality to St. Patrick's Day, then? They sure love to put shamrocks everywhere. That's blatant Christianity endorsement if you know anything about the origin.

Whatever.
I'll just assume that you're agreeing with me. ;)

I don't, I'm just tired of the circular argument.


BBS Signature
Light
Light
  • Member since: May. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Reader
Response to Merry Chri- I Mean - Happy Holidays 2011-12-01 19:18:34 Reply

At 12/1/11 04:54 PM, EmmaVolt wrote:
At 12/1/11 03:36 PM, Jedi-Master wrote:
At 11/30/11 10:32 PM, EmmaVolt wrote: Or, a few very important people who scream loud enough in court.
No one ever went to court to change "Merry Christmas" to "Happy Holidays."
It's a social attitude, not a legal mandate.
Apparently someone did. It hasn't been like this forever.

How is it "apparent" that someone went to court over a saying?

"Happy Holidays" is obviously not enforced by some legal rule or anything. Rather, political correctness has encouraged people, not obligated them, to say this.

Please cite a court case if I'm wrong here.

Yeah well, you're separated church and state is attacking Muslims for being associated with "terrorists".
Not true.
The FBI and local law enforcement agencies(With the strange exception of the New York Police Department) don't really "attack" Muslims or whatever, unless you count "religious profiling" as such.
I count religious profiling as attacking. I also consider dehumanization of an associated race as attacking - along with unfair generalization and manipulation of information.

Yeah, OK then.

So, don't tell me that a Christmas tree in town square is going to start a war.
I never said it would, but having a Christmas tree on public property is an endorsement of religion.
What I'm saying is, I don't care. I disagree that it is an endorsement of a religion. It's an endorsement of a holiday. Maybe if you had a giant cross with the story of Jesus's birth on it (with a claim of His divinity), it would be a religious endorsement. A tree symbolizing a specific holiday is NOT an endorsement of a religion.

Define Christmas for me, please.

Last time I checked, Christmas is a holiday that celebrates the birth of Jesus of Nazareth, perceived to be the "Christ," or savior, and Lord.

The holiday is inherently religious. It defies logic to say that endorsement of a religious holiday by the government is not somehow an endorsement of a particular religion.

And honestly, there are parts of this country where non-Christians have it a little harder thanks to government.
Yeah, okay. Most of those claims are "I'm offended by this person's beliefs".

Not true. Local government institutions frequently attempt to impose Christian beliefs on others in subtle ways, and they are nearly always defeated in court for it. If you don't believe me, I'd be more than happy to substantiate my claims with dozens of links.

You don't know the half of it, my friend.

I don't define that as having a hard time.

OK, but you are wrong insofar as you have tried to marginalize the difficulties that these people face. They are mostly not offended by the beliefs of Christians. Rather, they are offended by the imposition of these beliefs on them by Christians through government institutions.

That's what I'm saying though. You are offending more people by ignoring the holiday and making blanket statements.
How is saying "Happy Holidays," a statement that is inclusive of Christmas, an attempt to ignore it?
When you remove Christmas from Christmas-related things and call it all-inclusive.

"Happy Holidays" is Christmas-related because it is inclusive of it.

This is where my sports analogy fit in: "Related trophies should be banned, and instead be replaced by logos of completely irrelevant tournaments."

Your analogy isn't appropriate because sports don't try to impose themselves on others. Saying "Merry Christmas" technically does do this.

I guess the reasoning is well-intentioned, but I don't know many people who dislike Christmas enough to not say "Merry Christmas".
It's nothing to dislike. People who don't celebrate Christmas simply don't say "Merry Christmas."
That's fine. I'm just saying it's VERY immature, given the culture, to get upset when someone wishes you a merry Christmas. If there were a muslim holiday that came around this time of year, and a muslim wished me a "Happy (name of holiday)", as long as the holiday wasn't outrageously offensive, I would appreciate their offer.

It may not be immature if the person gets offended because the oter person who wishes them a Merry Christmas ignorantly assumes that the other celebrates Christmas and is a Christian.

It's people who get offended by Christmas enough to claim to be all-inclusive that piss me off.

OK then.

And honestly, "offensiveness" is such a thrown word these days.
That doesn't diminish the feeling of being offended by those who say they are.
Yeah, it does. Very much so.

"Pinch me so I can sue you for assault."

Pinching doesn't = assault.

However, being offendedbecause someone says Merry Christmas to you = being offended.

The meaning/impact of the word "sue" here is diminished.

Sueing someone is not a feeling, as "offense" is. Sueing someone is an action. Being offended is more of a feeling.

You mentioned court cases in response to my saying something about separation of church and state. You said that the decisions of these court cases didn't reflect popular opinion. I proved that to be untrue.
No, you didn't. You proved that the people who went to court had that opinion -

Did you not click the link I gave you? It was a poll of Americans asking if they supported separation of church and state--and most supported it.

and that is fairly obvious. The mere fact that more people make an effort to say "Merry Christmas" refutes the idea that most of our population is offended by Christmas.

I never once said "most of the population is offended by Christmas." Please quote where I said that if you wish to prove me wrong.

I said
.

It's a problem to many people who aren't Christians. Believe it or not, the U.S. has religious minorities; not everyone here is Christian. The same goes for many other countries.
Lol, okay. Christmas is a holiday not a religion. Plenty of non-Christians celebrate Christmas.

I never said Christmas is a religion. I was talking about Christianity.

And even if plenty of non-Christians celebrate, Christmas, that doesn't invalidate my point at all. Many non-Christians still don't celebrate the holiday.


Nah, I think they should be free to say anything related to a non-offensive or exclusively religious holiday. If you get upset by a time of cheer and joy - get over yourself.

People aren't getting upset by "a time of cheer and joy." They're getting upset over the whole "Let's endorse one particular religion through the celebration of its holiday on public property."

It's not like the government is saying "Become Christian!" it's saying "Merry Christmas".

My point still stands as valid.

No, it's endorsing a holiday! Whether you want to jump to religious conclusions is your own problem.

Christmas is a Christian holiday. I can't believe you don't realize why it would be an endorsement of religion.

it would be different if the government endorsed Easter - because Easter is the direct celebration of a religious belief.

How in the hell is Easter more religious than Christmas? One holiday celebrates the birth of Jesus Christ, and the other celebrates his death/"resurrection."

Christmas is - if anything - a celebration of a historical occurrence.

So is Easter.

Oh, and what's the deal with complete impartiality to St. Patrick's Day, then? They sure love to put shamrocks everywhere. That's blatant Christianity endorsement if you know anything about the origin.

Shamrocks are clovers. There's nothing Christian about that, even if they were used by Saint Patrick for Christian reasons. They're seen more as symbols of Ireland.


I don't, I'm just tired of the circular argument.

It's not circular at all. Please tell me how it is.


I was formerly known as "Jedi-Master."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

BBS Signature
hateyou1
hateyou1
  • Member since: Mar. 30, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Merry Chri- I Mean - Happy Holidays 2011-12-01 19:27:09 Reply

Thanks to all liberals, political correctness, whiny Muslims/Jews, we can no longer say Merry Christmas because they'll either complain or blow up another plane/building. So the stupid political correct is degenerating our country. Last year, I beat up this kid because he was whining about someone writing "Merry Christmas" on the chalk board. So I told him to shut the f**k up and he didn't. So I let my fists do the talking because I can tolerate anything but idiots and liberals.

Merry Christmas and screw political correctness!

BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Member since: Jan. 14, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to Merry Chri- I Mean - Happy Holidays 2011-12-01 19:39:35 Reply

I think the people who whine about so called 'political correctness' are several magnitudes more annoying than the concept could ever be.

Light
Light
  • Member since: May. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Reader
Response to Merry Chri- I Mean - Happy Holidays 2011-12-01 19:41:00 Reply

At 12/1/11 07:39 PM, BumFodder wrote: I think the people who whine about so called 'political correctness' are several magnitudes more annoying than the concept could ever be.

I agree. Political correctness is no where near as prevalent as its opponents make it out to be.


I was formerly known as "Jedi-Master."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

BBS Signature
Emma
Emma
  • Member since: Oct. 29, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Filmmaker
Response to Merry Chri- I Mean - Happy Holidays 2011-12-01 20:25:46 Reply

At 12/1/11 07:18 PM, Jedi-Master wrote:
At 12/1/11 04:54 PM, EmmaVolt wrote:
"Happy Holidays" is obviously not enforced by some legal rule or anything. Rather, political correctness has encouraged people, not obligated them, to say this.

Then, go back to my original question of why it's wrong to say "Merry Christmas" instead of using "law".

What I'm saying is, I don't care. I disagree that it is an endorsement of a religion. It's an endorsement of a holiday. Maybe if you had a giant cross with the story of Jesus's birth on it (with a claim of His divinity), it would be a religious endorsement. A tree symbolizing a specific holiday is NOT an endorsement of a religion.
Define Christmas for me, please.
Last time I checked, Christmas is a holiday that celebrates the birth of Jesus of Nazareth,

Here's where you should stop.

perceived to be the "Christ," or savior, and Lord.

Here's where you jump to religion.

You defined Christmas - a holiday - yourself.

The holiday is inherently religious. It defies logic to say that endorsement of a religious holiday by the government is not somehow an endorsement of a particular religion.

It defies your perception, not logic. "Logically" it makes perfect sense. You can endorse a holiday without endorsing an entire religion.

Yeah, okay. Most of those claims are "I'm offended by this person's beliefs".
Not true. Local government institutions frequently attempt to impose Christian beliefs on others in subtle ways, and they are nearly always defeated in court for it. If you don't believe me, I'd be more than happy to substantiate my claims with dozens of links.

LOL! What Christian belief is inherently bad for the public? Murder? Theft? Adultery? I'm not understanding what you're trying to say, or how this has anything to do with the topic.

I don't define that as having a hard time.
OK, but you are wrong insofar as you have tried to marginalize the difficulties that these people face. They are mostly not offended by the beliefs of Christians. Rather, they are offended by the imposition of these beliefs on them by Christians through government institutions.

Again, which of these beliefs are inherently bad? I'm not necessarily supporting it, I'm just curious as to what the problems are.

This is where my sports analogy fit in: "Related trophies should be banned, and instead be replaced by logos of completely irrelevant tournaments."
Your analogy isn't appropriate because sports don't try to impose themselves on others. Saying "Merry Christmas" technically does do this.

It's actually pretty accurate. You arrived at your conclusion because "Merry Christmas" doesn't actually impose a religion, and you don't perceive it that way. But still, get over yourself! Other people have different beliefs. And, it's CERTAINLY not imposing a religion on you when I say that.

Merry Christmas, Jedi :) and a happy New Year!

That's fine. I'm just saying it's VERY immature, given the culture, to get upset when someone wishes you a merry Christmas. If there were a muslim holiday that came around this time of year, and a muslim wished me a "Happy (name of holiday)", as long as the holiday wasn't outrageously offensive, I would appreciate their offer.
It may not be immature if the person gets offended because the oter person who wishes them a Merry Christmas ignorantly assumes that the other celebrates Christmas and is a Christian.

Hahaha, wishing somebody a merry Christmas does not assume you are Christian. As many others have pointed out, it is very possible to celebrate Christmas as a non-Christian.

If you, personally, think saying those words is a huge assumption ... I don't know ... get over it?

"Pinch me so I can sue you for assault."
Pinching doesn't = assault.

Exactly.

Similarly, "Merry Christmas" is not offensive.

No, you didn't. You proved that the people who went to court had that opinion -
Did you not click the link I gave you? It was a poll of Americans asking if they supported separation of church and state--and most supported it.

I'm not talking about separation of church and state ...

Lol, okay. Christmas is a holiday not a religion. Plenty of non-Christians celebrate Christmas.
I never said Christmas is a religion. I was talking about Christianity.

Then, what is your entire argument for? You just disowned everything you've been saying. How can the government endorse a "not" religion? Maybe because it's a holiday.

Nah, I think they should be free to say anything related to a non-offensive or exclusively religious holiday. If you get upset by a time of cheer and joy - get over yourself.
People aren't getting upset by "a time of cheer and joy." They're getting upset over the whole "Let's endorse one particular religion through the celebration of its holiday on public property."

Lol "holiday".

It's not like the government is saying "Become Christian!" it's saying "Merry Christmas".
My point still stands as valid.

Hmm ... no it doesn't.

No, it's endorsing a holiday! Whether you want to jump to religious conclusions is your own problem.
Christmas is a Christian holiday. I can't believe you don't realize why it would be an endorsement of religion.

It doesn't have to be a Christian holiday (as proven by non-Christians who celebrate it). So, your argument is really invalid.

it would be different if the government endorsed Easter - because Easter is the direct celebration of a religious belief.
How in the hell is Easter more religious than Christmas? One holiday celebrates the birth of Jesus Christ, and the other celebrates his death/"resurrection."

Easter is the celebration of a miracle that is not accepted as a historical event. To make Christmas "religious", you must add onto the Jesus story. That's how "in hell" Easter is more religious.

I guess you wouldn't know though, seeing as you are atheist.

Christmas is - if anything - a celebration of a historical occurrence.
So is Easter.

So you admit that Jesus was resurrected? That's fine. I guess our argument is over now, lol.

Oh, and what's the deal with complete impartiality to St. Patrick's Day, then? They sure love to put shamrocks everywhere. That's blatant Christianity endorsement if you know anything about the origin.
Shamrocks are clovers. There's nothing Christian about that, even if they were used by Saint Patrick for Christian reasons. They're seen more as symbols of Ireland.

Lol. Christmas trees are pine trees with lights/decoration on them. There's nothing Christian about it. And considering the holiday is actually CALLED "St. Patrick's Day" - celebrating a Catholic teacher - you've really backed yourself into a corner.

I don't, I'm just tired of the circular argument.
It's not circular at all. Please tell me how it is.

"Christmas is a holiday."

"No, it's a religion."


BBS Signature
Light
Light
  • Member since: May. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Reader
Response to Merry Chri- I Mean - Happy Holidays 2011-12-02 00:20:25 Reply

At 12/1/11 08:25 PM, EmmaVolt wrote:
At 12/1/11 07:18 PM, Jedi-Master wrote:
At 12/1/11 04:54 PM, EmmaVolt wrote:
"Happy Holidays" is obviously not enforced by some legal rule or anything. Rather, political correctness has encouraged people, not obligated them, to say this.
Then, go back to my original question of why it's wrong to say "Merry Christmas" instead of using "law".

You brought up the law first, not me.

And besides, I never said it was wrong. I'm just stating on behalf of others who think that "Merry Christmas" is wrong, saying that they think it's wrong because it assumes that they are Christian, when they are not.

What I'm saying is, I don't care. I disagree that it is an endorsement of a religion. It's an endorsement of a holiday. Maybe if you had a giant cross with the story of Jesus's birth on it (with a claim of His divinity), it would be a religious endorsement. A tree symbolizing a specific holiday is NOT an endorsement of a religion.
Here's where you should stop.

perceived to be the "Christ," or savior, and Lord.
Here's where you jump to religion.

You defined Christmas - a holiday - yourself.

So are you saying that Christmas does not have any ties to the Christian religion?

The holiday is inherently religious. It defies logic to say that endorsement of a religious holiday by the government is not somehow an endorsement of a particular religion.
It defies your perception, not logic. "Logically" it makes perfect sense. You can endorse a holiday without endorsing an entire religion.

Not really, especially when the holiday celebrates the birth of Jesus of Nazareth.

Not true. Local government institutions frequently attempt to impose Christian beliefs on others in subtle ways, and they are nearly always defeated in court for it. If you don't believe me, I'd be more than happy to substantiate my claims with dozens of links.
LOL! What Christian belief is inherently bad for the public?

Any of them.

Religious beliefs, when imposed by government institutions, are bad and impermissible, because the 1st amendment says so.

Murder? Theft? Adultery? I'm not understanding what you're trying to say, or how this has anything to do with the topic.

Yet again, I must say that I'm simply replying to your assertion that there's nothing wrong with Christmas trees on public property, an imposition of religious beliefs on others.

OK, but you are wrong insofar as you have tried to marginalize the difficulties that these people face. They are mostly not offended by the beliefs of Christians. Rather, they are offended by the imposition of these beliefs on them by Christians through government institutions.
Again, which of these beliefs are inherently bad? I'm not necessarily supporting it, I'm just curious as to what the problems are.
The problem is that any of these beliefs are being imposed. Good or bad, religious beliefs must not be imposed by government, because the 1st amendment says so, at least, in the U.S. anyway.
It's actually pretty accurate. You arrived at your conclusion because "Merry Christmas" doesn't actually impose a religion, and you don't perceive it that way. But still, get over yourself! Other people have different beliefs. And, it's CERTAINLY not imposing a religion on you when I say that.

You're just assuming that I'm Christian. I will apologize in saying that in this particular instance, merely saying "Merry Christmas" is no imposition of religion. However, it's incredibly ignorant to say to someone who's not Christian, because you assume they are when you say that.

Merry Christmas, Jedi :) and a happy New Year!

OK.

Hahaha, wishing somebody a merry Christmas does not assume you are Christian. As many others have pointed out, it is very possible to celebrate Christmas as a non-Christian.

What about those people who are Muslims, Jews, etc. who don't celebrate Christmas? In those cases, my point is still valid.

If you, personally, think saying those words is a huge assumption ... I don't know ... get over it?

I didn't say it was a huge assumption.

"Pinch me so I can sue you for assault."
Pinching doesn't = assault.
Exactly.

I love how you purposely excluded the rest of my text here, which seems to contradict your earlier assertion.

That's not very classy, you know.

Similarly, "Merry Christmas" is not offensive.

I'll just continue to contest this, then.

I'm not talking about separation of church and state ...

Actually, you kind of were.

I never said Christmas is a religion. I was talking about Christianity.

Then, what is your entire argument for? You just disowned everything you've been saying. How can the government endorse a "not" religion? Maybe because it's a holiday.

I didn't disown anything. You assumed that the premise of my argument was that Christmas is a religion, and therefore cannot be endorsed by government, when I said that it's a religious holiday, so endorsement of it is endorsement of Christianity.

People aren't getting upset by "a time of cheer and joy." They're getting upset over the whole "Let's endorse one particular religion through the celebration of its holiday on public property."

Lol "holiday".

Do you mind elaborating to me what you meant by that?

It's not like the government is saying "Become Christian!" it's saying "Merry Christmas".
My point still stands as valid.

Hmm ... no it doesn't.

The U.S. Supreme Court, as well as many other courts and constitutions around the world disagree.

Christmas is a Christian holiday. I can't believe you don't realize why it would be an endorsement of religion.
It doesn't have to be a Christian holiday (as proven by non-Christians who celebrate it).

Non-Christians can also participate and did participate in school prayer in the U.S., but it's still religious by nature. You get my point?

So, your argument is really invalid.

Christian origins, Christian meaning, etc., make Christmas a religious holiday that is popular among non-Christians.

A historical event? Jesus was purported to be born of a virgin for religious reasons, making Christmas just as religious as Easter, and making his birth a miracle.

I guess you wouldn't know though, seeing as you are atheist.

I was a very religious Christian until last year. I come from a religious family. I have two bibles in my bedroom. I know quite a bit about these things.

And besides, atheists generally know more about the Bible than Christians. Studies show that to be true.

Christmas is - if anything - a celebration of a historical occurrence.
So is Easter.

So you admit that Jesus was resurrected? That's fine. I guess our argument is over now, lol.

You know what I mean.

Shamrocks are clovers. There's nothing Christian about that, even if they were used by Saint Patrick for Christian reasons. They're seen more as symbols of Ireland.

Lol. Christmas trees are pine trees with lights/decoration on them.

They represent Christmas, just as crosses do. Crosses aren't Christian things, but they represent Christianity.

There's nothing Christian about it. And considering the holiday is actually CALLED "St. Patrick's Day" - celebrating a Catholic teacher - you've really backed yourself into a corner.

A catholic teacher isn't part of a religion.

By your logic, we shouldn't have a Martin Luther King, Jr. day in the United States because he was a Christian minister.

"Christmas is a holiday."

"No, it's a religion."

Please tell me when I said "Christmas is a religion." If you can do that, you can have my account. I'll give you the password and everything.


I was formerly known as "Jedi-Master."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Member since: May. 21, 2006
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to Merry Chri- I Mean - Happy Holidays 2011-12-02 00:25:00 Reply

Political correctness does more bad than good I swear.


[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
akmeteor
akmeteor
  • Member since: Jul. 19, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Gamer
Response to Merry Chri- I Mean - Happy Holidays 2011-12-02 00:25:56 Reply

At 12/2/11 12:25 AM, Gagsy wrote: Political correctness does more bad than good I swear.

It really does.


Well.

Shit.

Light
Light
  • Member since: May. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Reader
Response to Merry Chri- I Mean - Happy Holidays 2011-12-02 00:30:05 Reply

At 12/2/11 12:25 AM, Gagsy wrote: Political correctness does more bad than good I swear.

POLITICAL CORRECTNESS MUST BE KEPT IN PLACE, OR ELSE EVERYONE WILL GET OFFENDED ARRGGGHHH


I was formerly known as "Jedi-Master."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

BBS Signature
SexyWolfy
SexyWolfy
  • Member since: Nov. 30, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Merry Chri- I Mean - Happy Holidays 2011-12-02 00:38:35 Reply

Yeah, I make the effort to say Merry Christmas to everyone I can...... but usually before Christmas, 'cause, y'know...


BBS Signature
Emma
Emma
  • Member since: Oct. 29, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Filmmaker
Response to Merry Chri- I Mean - Happy Holidays 2011-12-02 00:54:37 Reply

At 12/2/11 12:20 AM, Jedi-Master wrote:
At 12/1/11 08:25 PM, EmmaVolt wrote:
And besides, I never said it was wrong. I'm just stating on behalf of others who think that "Merry Christmas" is wrong, saying that they think it's wrong because it assumes that they are Christian, when they are not.

Okay, I guess we will just disagree here.

You defined Christmas - a holiday - yourself.
So are you saying that Christmas does not have any ties to the Christian religion?

I'm saying it doesn't have to be religious unless you want it to be. The fact that the majority of people who celebrate it also make religious connections does not make it an absolutely religious holiday.

If it's so offensive, why do so many atheists celebrate Christmas?

Religious beliefs, when imposed by government institutions, are bad and impermissible, because the 1st amendment says so.

Well then basic law is impermissible because most of it originated from religion - and, therefore - the government is wrongly endorsing it.

It's actually pretty accurate. You arrived at your conclusion because "Merry Christmas" doesn't actually impose a religion, and you don't perceive it that way. But still, get over yourself! Other people have different beliefs. And, it's CERTAINLY not imposing a religion on you when I say that.
You're just assuming that I'm Christian. I will apologize in saying that in this particular instance, merely saying "Merry Christmas" is no imposition of religion. However, it's incredibly ignorant to say to someone who's not Christian, because you assume they are when you say that.

Wishing you a "Merry Christmas" does not assume you are Christian. It assumes you celebrate Christmas.

Hahaha, wishing somebody a merry Christmas does not assume you are Christian. As many others have pointed out, it is very possible to celebrate Christmas as a non-Christian.
What about those people who are Muslims, Jews, etc. who don't celebrate Christmas? In those cases, my point is still valid.

Well, I guess the people who don't celebrate Christmas can be mature about it and ignore/tolerate those who do.

I didn't disown anything. You assumed that the premise of my argument was that Christmas is a religion, and therefore cannot be endorsed by government, when I said that it's a religious holiday, so endorsement of it is endorsement of Christianity.

And, I have shown how it is not an endorsement of Christianity - but simply a holiday. So, we're back to square one.

Lol "holiday".
Do you mind elaborating to me what you meant by that?

Ignore it. I was just going back to my main argument, because nothing has really moved.

Hmm ... no it doesn't.
The U.S. Supreme Court, as well as many other courts and constitutions around the world disagree.

I'm not asking them, I'm asking you. I want people to think for themselves for a change and not rely on outside opinion. I know what the facts are. I'm simply provoking thought as to why things are the way they are.

It doesn't have to be a Christian holiday (as proven by non-Christians who celebrate it).
Non-Christians can also participate and did participate in school prayer in the U.S., but it's still religious by nature. You get my point?

Nope. In fact, I can't see how this helps your argument at all.

So, your argument is really invalid.
Christian origins, Christian meaning, etc., make Christmas a religious holiday that is popular among non-Christians.

How does this make Christmas offensive if it is all-inclusive?

A historical event? Jesus was purported to be born of a virgin for religious reasons, making Christmas just as religious as Easter, and making his birth a miracle.

You used the word "purported", which automatically bridges the gap from history to religion. You've made no argument at all.

I guess you wouldn't know though, seeing as you are atheist.
I was a very religious Christian until last year. I come from a religious family. I have two bibles in my bedroom. I know quite a bit about these things.

Oh, that's a shame.

And besides, atheists generally know more about the Bible than Christians. Studies show that to be true.

Lol. That was completely irrelevant seeing as I am not a generalization, but an individual.

So you admit that Jesus was resurrected? That's fine. I guess our argument is over now, lol.
You know what I mean.

I don't actually. You say that Easter is the celebration of a historical event - when, accepting this event, is the core foundation of Christianity. I honestly have no idea where you were trying to go with that response, sorry.

Lol. Christmas trees are pine trees with lights/decoration on them.
They represent Christmas, just as crosses do. Crosses aren't Christian things, but they represent Christianity.

Christmas trees represent Christmas ...

There's nothing Christian about it. And considering the holiday is actually CALLED "St. Patrick's Day" - celebrating a Catholic teacher - you've really backed yourself into a corner.
A catholic teacher isn't part of a religion.

Well then, without paralleling the catholic part, I guess Jesus isn't part of a religion either.


BBS Signature