00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

One Week Game Jam starts THURSDAY!

14,122 Views | 37 Replies
Respond to this Topic

If you haven't been following along, AustinBreed is organizing NG GAME JAM 6 and it starts Thursday, December 1st. Unlike previous weekend jams, this jam runs for THREE DAYS, so busy people have a better chance to participate. Read Austin's post for more info.

NOTE: This was originally announced as a ONE WEEK Game Jam. It was shortened to three days as the result of a poll.

Game Jams are an AMAZING way to meet people, collaborate and form long-term creative partnerships. This jam involves randomly assigned teams, so whether you're a lone artist, programmer, musician, etc., you can sign up and get teamed with people of complimentary skills. Check out our previous Game Jams to see the results - these were each done in one weekend!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to One Week Game Jam starts THURSDAY! 2011-11-29 09:19:08

Good to see we're picking this up again. Looking forward to the outcome.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to One Week Game Jam starts THURSDAY! 2011-11-29 09:19:55

Truly is amazing to see what people can come up with within a short time period. I guess panic within an animal truly does invigorate an adrenaline rush.

Response to One Week Game Jam starts THURSDAY! 2011-11-29 09:26:21

Actually, it will last 72 hours according to the latest update and vote results. I was confused too when I read the blog entry for the first time.

Response to One Week Game Jam starts THURSDAY! 2011-11-29 09:39:59

I think three days sounds better because making a game in a week with three people isn't too bad.

BBS Signature

Response to One Week Game Jam starts THURSDAY! 2011-11-29 09:51:22

At 11/29/11 09:39 AM, Magical-Zorse wrote: I think three days sounds better because making a game in a week with three people isn't too bad.

And as was noted above, it has been changed to 3 days. The title is rather misleading.

Response to One Week Game Jam starts THURSDAY! 2011-11-29 09:51:50

At 11/29/11 09:25 AM, Manly-Chicken wrote: Actually, Austin re shortened it to the normal 3 days from friday to sunday based on a facebook poll.

Oh jeez whoops.

BBS Signature

Response to One Week Game Jam starts THURSDAY! 2011-11-29 09:54:00

Updated post to reflect the change, I saw the poll mention but should have read that more closely, thought it was to plan for future jams.

BBS Signature

Response to One Week Game Jam starts THURSDAY! 2011-11-29 10:13:45

Thanks for posting this Tom! I was worried it might have gone unnoticed and a lot of people would miss it, as has happened in the past.

Response to One Week Game Jam starts THURSDAY! 2011-11-29 10:22:54

At 11/29/11 10:16 AM, Manly-Chicken wrote: It's ok. Another thing: ALL the game jams lasted 3 days from Friday to Sunday, not just this one.

I think that game jams should only be 3 days with random teams. It's about meeting new people, and making a game with no room for error.

A week game jam kinda ruins the urgency, and nobody will be available for the whole week.

Exactly that ^

And actually, the first jam was 48 hours only. I think that's the optimal time. NG didn't actually start these game jams, the more popular ones that have been around for much longer are actually all 24 or 48 hour jams. Those include the Ludum Dare and "The Global Game Jam".

But I do like 72 hours better.

Response to One Week Game Jam starts THURSDAY! 2011-11-29 10:30:28

I wish I could participate in this one... only if it was a little later in the month. My last day of class is in a week or two.

Oh well.

Response to One Week Game Jam starts THURSDAY! 2011-11-29 10:39:16

God damn it, why'd this have to happen when I'm away >: (

Is another movie jam still gonna happen?

Response to One Week Game Jam starts THURSDAY! 2011-11-29 10:45:04

At 11/29/11 10:39 AM, Ockeroid wrote: God damn it, why'd this have to happen when I'm away >: (

Is another movie jam still gonna happen?

Intend to have lots more, been a shitty year sorry. :(

BBS Signature

Response to One Week Game Jam starts THURSDAY! 2011-11-29 10:47:13

At 11/29/11 10:22 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: And actually, the first jam was 48 hours only. I think that's the optimal time. NG didn't actually start these game jams, the more popular ones that have been around for much longer are actually all 24 or 48 hour jams. Those include the Ludum Dare and "The Global Game Jam".

But I do like 72 hours better.

The thing about most game jams is that people get together in the same physical location to make games, even in the case of stuff like the Global Game Jam they set up locations around the world. I like the idea of mixing it up from jam to jam - some 48 hours, some more. 72 hours gives a little more wiggle room to account for the time zone differences and communication issues that come up with on-line jams. I like the idea of a week-long one because it lets people who don't have free weekends carve out time throughout the week.

BBS Signature

Response to One Week Game Jam starts THURSDAY! 2011-11-29 11:50:46

^like Tom said. some of us work weekends and 8 hour shifts tend to happen at night in US thus if game jaming with a random fellow from Australia or Japan. it be hard to catch them or us.

BBS Signature

Response to One Week Game Jam starts THURSDAY! 2011-11-29 12:09:34

Aahh.... Game Jam... You always bring fun and exciting last-minute flashes.

Can't wait!!!

Thank you Ryan for the AWESOME sig!

REDESIGN FINALLY!! YESSSS!!! | MLP: FiM Crew | Anime Club

BBS Signature

Response to One Week Game Jam starts THURSDAY! 2011-11-29 12:45:04

I'd like to suggest an early January Game Jam. After holidays and before the next semester begins would be the best opportunity I have to participate in it. I've already asked austinbreed, and he's got no objections.

Response to One Week Game Jam starts THURSDAY! 2011-11-29 13:03:31

would be cool to have a game jam at the NG office downstairs sometime

Response to One Week Game Jam starts THURSDAY! 2011-11-29 13:44:21

At 11/29/11 11:53 AM, ZStriefel wrote: The NG game jams are the highlight of my month when we have em. I wish they were every other month agaaain :U

Would be really awesome if there would be some way to get people together in one location to jam one of these days. No idea how that would work.. But it would be awesome.

It has been the intent to have physical jams at the office and also to keep up with a monthly jam schedule that alternates movies and games... I've been suffering from a really bad case of social / organizational anxiety this year. 2011 sucks.

BBS Signature

Response to One Week Game Jam starts THURSDAY! 2011-11-29 13:59:55

you guys say you can't join the jam cause you have school or work...

For me the jam is more important than that XD SKIP EVERYTHING... TAKE ALL THE JAMS >:)

Response to One Week Game Jam starts THURSDAY! 2011-11-29 15:21:53

I joined. It's my first game jam.

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to One Week Game Jam starts THURSDAY! 2011-11-29 15:23:29

At 11/29/11 01:59 PM, 3D-xelu wrote: you guys say you can't join the jam cause you have school or work...

For me the jam is more important than that XD SKIP EVERYTHING... TAKE ALL THE JAMS >:)

Bet next week's NOT finals for you :P

At some time, TomFulp wrote: Unlike previous weekend jams, this jam runs for THREE DAYS

Actually, it's JUST like the previous weekend jams :P

Response to One Week Game Jam starts THURSDAY! 2011-11-29 15:48:58

Don't think I'll have time for this one. The last Game Jam was a lot of fun though.

Tom, are you guys ever going to do broadcasts again?

:)

Response to One Week Game Jam starts THURSDAY! 2011-11-29 16:06:50

At 11/29/11 09:18 AM, citricsquid wrote: i found my life partner in game jam 3 we get married next weekend game jams highly recommended for loners

i agree during the winter game jam i met my honey <3333333333

psyche

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to One Week Game Jam starts THURSDAY! 2011-11-29 16:58:38

Hmm, nice idea here. I might wanna get involved in this when I have some experience under my belt.

BBS Signature

Response to One Week Game Jam starts THURSDAY! 2011-11-29 17:54:40

I'm a sound-effect-designing wildcard.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to One Week Game Jam starts THURSDAY! 2011-11-29 19:05:40

Man I'd like to do one of these one day, but unsure about it all so I guess I'll just wait for when I feel that I'm truly ready.

Follow my Artstigram

BBS Signature

Response to One Week Game Jam starts THURSDAY! 2011-11-30 06:15:23

At 11/29/11 07:05 PM, MoriChax wrote: Man I'd like to do one of these one day, but unsure about it all so I guess I'll just wait for when I feel that I'm truly ready.

The only way you can start is by starting.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to One Week Game Jam starts THURSDAY! 2011-11-30 09:52:37

wtf?!
put u game jam in u fat asshole bicth
now is movie jam time.

One Week Game Jam starts THURSDAY!

Response to One Week Game Jam starts THURSDAY! 2011-11-30 13:47:17

YAY I cant wait to see the results :3 (and play...a lot)

I have no idea...anyway

Prypiat Rulez!

BBS Signature